ARCHIVISTS AND AUTHORS!

JenRose

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
This thread is specifically designed so archivists in the process of
linking to authors rather than gossamers can have a fairly relatively up
to datish source.

As it will be archived at dejanews, it will also be quite searchable.

If anyone else would like to compile the list, feel free. I don't have
time.

SO.....
Instructions:

2. In the subject, add your name.
The subject should look like this:
Re: ARCHIVISTS AND AUTHORS! - yourname
My response will look like this:
Re: ARCHIVISTS AND AUTHORS! - jenrose

This way, if someone wants to link to your story, they can search
dejanews for your name and find the
following form.

3. Fill out the form below:
Here's the form:

Author name:
email addresses:
fanfiction web page (if any):
Permission to archive: (tell us which apply)
-At Gossamer? (yes/no)
Choose one of the following for all non-gossamer sites
-Yes, anywhere
-Yes, with notification
-With permission only
-No

Permission to link to stories:
-At Gossamer? (y/n)
-At your homepage? (choose one of the following)
-always?
-notification preferred?
-notification required?
-permission required?
-never

Author information: (optional, even more optional than the rest of this
form.) This would be a "bio" or other information you consider relevant.
Several sentences about you or your work... consider it the "about the
author."
The specific purpose of this passage is to give archivists and reviewers
a blurb to use ready-made when they are talking about your stories. This
would be a great place to include your email address (if you want) and
your web page (if you want.)

See my reply to this post for an example of "filling out the form".

JenRose - Haven
Queen of my domain!
http://www.jenrose.com
X-Phile T-shirts, Storytelling forum, Fanfiction, and more!

"Complex systems thrive at the thin edge of chaos."

Any discussion of conversational tactics can be elaborated at:

http://www.vandruff.com/art_converse.html

JenRose

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
jenr...@email.msn.com or jen...@compuserve.com
>fanfiction web page (if any): http://www.jenrose.com

>Permission to archive: (tell us which apply)
>-At Gossamer? (yes/no) Yes

>Choose one of the following for all non-gossamer sites
>-Yes, anywhere
I like to be notified, but don't let that stop you.<G>

>Permission to link to stories:

>-At Gossamer? (y/n) Yes, but I prefer you link to my homepage

>-At your homepage? (choose one of the following)

> -always.
Again, I like to be notified, but don't let that stop you from linking
to any *page* on my site. Graphics are another matter. Ask first.

>Author information: (rendered into third person so other people can use
it easily verbatim if they want to.)
Jenrose is a single mother, the graphic designer/layout editor for a
midwifery magazine, a doula and a childbirth educator. If you want to
know more, you can delve into the depths of her thought processes at
http://www.jenrose.com . Email feedback, technical questions, deep
philosophical discussions and idle chitchat to jen...@jenrose.com .
When she's not writing fanfic for the X-Files or pursuing one of the
above interests, she designs XPhile t-shirts and writes essays on
whatever strikes her fancy. Another incentive to visit her website: you
can actually put a face to the name if you read enough of the pages. The
pictures are out there!

Adrian.D.Ives

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
Author name: Adrian.D.Ives
email addresses: Adria...@email.msn.com
fanfiction web page (if any): http://members.aol.com/ADIves01

Permission to archive: (tell us which apply)
-At Gossamer? (yes/no) YES

Choose one of the following for all non-gossamer sites
-Yes, anywhere

Permission to link to stories:
-At Gossamer? (y/n) YES

-At your homepage? (choose one of the following)

-notification preferred

Author information: Located in the UK, Adrian is a Project Manager for a
large IT services company. He writes FanFic as an outlet for the enormous
frustration and irritation that he encounters every day in his job. Adrian
is an enormous Scully fan, and generally writes stories that are in some way
Scully-Centric. Very often his stories will be set outside of the
conventional X-Files framework, possibly categorised as Mytharc or
Crossover.

Vampyres Incorporeal

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
Author name: Saundra Mitchell
email addresses: v...@netdirect.net
fanfiction web page (if any): http://netdirect.net/~vii/fanfic/index.html

Permission to archive: (tell us which apply)
-At Gossamer? (yes/no)

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

Choose one of the following for all non-gossamer sites
-Yes, anywhere

Go nuts. Post me anywhere.

Permission to link to stories:
-At Gossamer? (y/n)

Yep

-At your homepage? (choose one of the following)

-notification preferred?
Yep.
You don't have to send notification, but I like seeing what nasty
things people have to say about me. *grin*

Feel free to steal the graphics, multimedia files, etc. etc etc., but
PLEASE do not link to them. I can handle the throughput on linked
HTML, but not on the big stuff. Please, thank you.

Author information:
An Indiana native, Saundra Mitchell is a professional writer and full
time housemommy. Her current fanfiction goal is to redefine "slash" as
a genre, and her current otherwise goal is to get her son to eat fried
chicken. (He's the only kid on earth who won't!) She has a hard time
writing bios because they always come out sounding so stiff and
self-important, and she likes to be beaten over the noggin with a
stick, so feel free to mail her at v...@netdirect.net.

Saundra Mitchell

margu...@swbell.net

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/5362/meg.html

--
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/5362/meg.html

d...@teleport.com

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
>Author name:
Deborah K. Goldstein (Debbie Goldstein
d...@teleport.com

>fanfiction web page (if any):
Not applicable, and no plans to make one

>Permission to archive: (tell us which apply)
>-At Gossamer? (yes/no)
YES
>Choose one of the following for all non-gossamer site:
>-With permission only
Except for the MTA, to which I give blanket permission.
All others, ask and ye shall almost certainly receive.

>Permission to link to stories:

>-At Gossamer? (y/n)
YES
>-At your homepage?

Not applicable

>Author information: (optional, even more optional than the rest of this
>form.) This would be a "bio" or other information you consider relevant.
>Several sentences about you or your work... consider it the "about the
>author."

Sorry. I'm rather private. I will talk to individuals, though.

Debbie Goldstein
d...@teleport.com

d...@teleport.com

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
Sorry, I goofed the first time around.

mke...@universe.digex.net

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
Author name: Mary Ruth Keller
E-mail addresses: mke...@universe.digex.net
Fanfiction web page (if any):
http://www.universe.digex.net/~mkeller/stories.html

Permission to archive: (tell us which apply)

-At Gossamer? (yes/no) - Yes

Choose one of the following for all non-gossamer sites:
-With permission only - It's a real kick to know
someone *want* to archive my stuff!

Permission to link to stories:

-At your homepage? (choose one of the following)

--always? Yes
--permission required? Same logic as above

Author information: Mary Ruth Keller is a geophysicist
who has been involved in microwave remote sensing of
the earth since receiving her Master's in Geophysics
from Virginia Tech in 1983. She enjoyed the exploration
of the perception of reality in the First Season, as
well as the interaction between the rational/logical
and emotional/intuitive viewpoints of Scully and Mulder,
respectively. She also appreciated the development of a
season-long myth-arc in the Second, running from "The
Erlenmeyer Flask" at the end of the First Season through
"Paperclip" in the Third.

She began writing fan-fiction in the middle of the
Third Season when the show began to drift away from
these themes and arcs. Her stories, generally case
files which are a combination of myth-arc and MOTW,
all grow in one sequence.

They are listed on her web-page:

http://www.universe.digex.net/~mkeller/stories.html

Themes and ideas are explored over several stories,
with character growth that builds upon itself, rather
than having all problems solved in one tidy bundle.
She also writes a strong partnership between Mulder
and Scully. She sees the constructive interation of
their different, but equally valid, viewpoints as a
metaphor for effective and critical thinking.

Any e-mail should be addressed to:

mke...@universe.digex.net

Mary Ruth Keller

Mary Ruth Keller "Is it possible disdain should die while
Alexandria, VA she hath such meet food to feed it,
Phone: (703)683-1599 as Signoir Benedick?"
mke...@universe.digex.net Much Ado About Nothing

Loch Ness

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
Good Lord! An intelligent, practical solution! This should be
encouraged, so...

--
InverNessie | If God wants my wife
loch...@mindspring.com | to be submissive, he can

Dasha K

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
Author name: Dasha K

email addresses: (main) dak...@stkate.edu (alternate)
dk...@hotmail.com

fanfiction web page (if any):

http://wwwgeocities.com/TelevisionCity/Studio.7367

Permission to archive: (tell us which apply)

At Gossamer? (yes/no) Yes

Choose one of the following for all non-gossamer sites

-Yes, anywhere
Just let me know where you've put it so I can visit.

Permission to link to stories:

-At Gossamer? (y/n) Yes, but I prefer you link to my homepage

At your homepage? (choose one of the following)
Sure, just let me know.

>>Author information:

Dasha K. is an administrator at a small college in the Minneapolis area. She
has been writing short stories since she was very small, but for some reason
fanfic has made her dangerously prolific. She tends to write MSRs, but she
does her darndest not to be sappy. Lately she has been getting rather smutty,
but she thinks that subliminal messages in FTF are to blame. In her spare time
she likes to go dancing, drink frightening amounts of espresso and make kick
butt mixed tapes. Dasha would also like to add that sending a writer feedback
is good for yur karma.
Dasha K.

Admitting your fanfic problem is the first step...

Shameless plug- come see Dasha K's Fanfic-O-Rama

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Studio/7367

Pellinor

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98

Author name: Pellinor

email addresses: Pell...@astolat.demon.co.uk

fanfiction web page (if any): http://www.carbonek.demon.co.uk/

Permission to archive: (tell us which apply)

-At Gossamer? (yes/no) Yes

Choose one of the following for all non-gossamer sites

-Yes, anywhere (notification is a nice bonus, but I don't get annoyed if
I don't get it.)

Permission to link to stories:

-At Gossamer? (y/n) yes

-At your homepage?

Um... Short stories can be linked to without permission (though
notification is polite, of course). PLease ask for linking to stories
above about 100k, since I have bandwidth limits I have to keep an eye
on.

For Deep Background, though: The more links to it, the merrier. No need
to ask permission.

>Author information:

(Written in the first person since I feel silly writing it in the
third.)

My real name is Elspeth, and I am a children's librarian from the Isle
of Wight, a little island off the south coast of England. I write fanfic
between working on Deep Background, my website, reading children's
books, and playing far too much Tetris. I write Angst with a capital A,
and have a bad habit of making my readers curl up into whimpering ball,
begging for happy sequels that never come. Most of my stories come from
a desire to explore facets of Mulder's character, though I try to give
Scully a prominent role in them, and often use her viewpoint. I am
adamantly on neither side in the shipper/non-shipper divide, and have
written both, though my MSR stories are _never_ wine and roses happy
romances. Oh, and I've also written parodies, satires of my own writing,
and stories in the strange and so-called "impossible" genre of Angst-
Humour.

I am also have this little problem with brevity, as you can see...

******

Pell...@astolat.demon.co.uk

http://www.astolat.demon.co.uk/ (Deep Background)
http://www.carbonek.demon.co.uk/ (My fanfic)

"If there's a point, Mulder, please feel free to come to it."

Rosalita

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Lair/6333/index.html

--
Rosalita
The Smutty Senorita

S. Wells

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
> Author name: Jenny W.

> email addresses: burym...@hotmail.com

> fanfiction web page (if any): http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/1420/fanfic.html

> Permission to archive: (tell us which apply)

> -At Gossamer? (yes/no) yes

> Choose one of the following for all non-gossamer sites
> -Yes, with notification

> Permission to link to stories:

> -At Gossamer? (y/n) yes

> -At your homepage? (choose one of the following)

> -notification preferred?

> Author information: Jenny is a Junior at Raytown South Highschool, in Raytown, MO, a suburb of Kansas City. The college she wants to attend is Northwest Missouri State University, and her planned major is Mass Communications, with a minor in German. She joined the alt.tv.x-files.creative newsgroup in early fall of 1997 and became inspired to compose her own fanfiction. She has written several, but only posted one so far. Her homepage is located at:
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/1420/

kaly

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
> Author name: Kalynn, aka Kaly
> email addresses: kaly...@juno.com
> fanfiction web page (if any): Kalynn's Fan Fiction
> http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shadowlands/5579

> Permission to archive: (tell us which apply)
> -At Gossamer? (yes/no) YES

> Choose one of the following for all non-gossamer sites
>
> -Yes, with notification
>

> Permission to link to stories:
> -At Gossamer? (y/n) YES

> -At your homepage? (choose one of the following)
> -notification required?
>
> Author information:

Kalynn is the pen name of Tara Hicks, and several of her earlier posts are
still avaliable under this name. She is a senior in college studying
computer science. Having watched X Files since early season 2, she
discovered the fan fiction in early 1997. She started to write fan fiction
in December of 1997.

While a self-described friendshipper, her works have been described as
shipper-friendly by several shippers. Most of her stories fall in the
friendship/UST category, but not all. Other than that, her stories are
angst, with a dash of humor thrown in on several occasions. Several have
been archived on the MTA.

Now that the stuff-shirt part is over, I'll say this. I'm a new addition to
the atxc, but a long time member of the xff list. I simply adore feedback,
and I always try to write back as soon as I can. I have this fun little
habit of picking on Mulder in my stories. I do tend to avoid the conspiracy
arc, at least directly. I use it more as background. I like to focus on
the partnership between Mulder and Scully, when put through varying
conditions. And I've disovered I can't listen to a song without thinking of
how it would fit in a story.

Please visit my homepage, it's still fairly new and I'm interested in user
response to it's features. And, please (I'll beg about this) please sign
the guestbook! Please? The url is

thanks!
kaly

kaly

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
oops! i forgot to add my name to the subject line! :-)

Pyrephox18

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
Author Name: Pyrephox18

email addies: Pyrep...@aol.com, Pyrep...@hotmail.com

Archive:

Gossamer- Yepper!
Non-Gossamer- Yes, with notification (I like to gloat, just a little. :P)

Link anywhere, with notification.

Author Info: Ahem, well, I'm pretty new on the scene, and do mostly secondary
character stuff. I haven't done any MSRs, in fact, I've barely done anything
the dynamic duo at all! :P Ummm... I guess that's all. :>

Pyrephox- hates these things... :P

X-Files Fanfiction- http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Hollow/2623/sblood.html

"If the world was rational, men would ride sidesaddle."

XAPen

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98

http://members.aol.com/canny409/fanfic.html

>Permission to archive: (tell us which apply)

>-At Gossamer? (yes/no) - No
>
>Choose one of the following for all non-gossamer sites:

Please do not archive any of my stories anywhere without my written permission.

This includes works listed under all my admitted pseudonyms:

DBKate: dbk...@yahoo.com
DarkBrat
Kate Rane
Althea Rand
Pendgirl/The Rabid Mouse
XF-Sox
RedLeathLuv

>Permission to link to stories:

>-At your homepage?--written permission required
>
>Author information:

CiCi Lean has been reading fanfic since '95, took the plunge in '96 and has
been addicted since then.

I live in Brooklyn, I eat the same lunch every day, and look *really* bad in
fushia. I'm married, have a cat (for sale -- cheap), and my dishwasher is
broken. (Yes, you can start playing your violins NOW...)

I've watched XF since the Pilot, but have yet to see "The Movie" (Hey, have you
ever seen the SIZE of the roaches in a Brooklyn movie house? I'm waiting for a
bat sale at Modell's before I go.)

I dig ALL interesting, well-written fanfic, of *every* genre, with a soft spot
for slash. I run The X-Anarchy Pen Fanfiction Mailing List, The Socks Shoppe,
a recs page, and am head of The Labmice, The Pendrell Cyberclub and someday,
will probably get a life.

But not today. <g>

CiCi Lean

~~~~~~~~
CiCi Lean's Fanfic Picks
http://members.aol.com/canny409/picks.html

CiCi Lean's XFFanfiction
http://members.aol.com/canny409/fanfic.html

The Pendrell Memorial Page
http://members.aol.com/labmouse/memorial.html

The X-Anarchy Pen Mailing List
http://members.aol.com/XAPen/index.html

The Socks Shoppe
http://members.aol.com/XAPen/shop.html

Syn's Place - The XFFanfic of SynnerX
http://member.aol.com/xapen/syn.html

Message has been deleted

Munchie

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
Author name: Munchie

E-mail addresses: munc...@hotmail.com

Fanfiction web page (if any): Nope, not yet, but I'm working on it!

Permission to archive: (tell us which apply)

-At Gossamer? (yes/no) Yes!

Choose one of the following for all non-gossamer sites

-Sure! But if possible, let me know so I can visit your site!

Permission to link to stories:

-At Gossamer? (y/n) Yes.

Author information: (In third person...)
Munchie is currently 13 years old and in the 8th grade. She got hooked
to The X-Files late in the game, at the beginning of the 5th season, but
has been a faithful X-Phile since. Munchie began reading fanfic two
hours after she watched her episode, ;) and first posted her own fic in
the summer of '98.

JenRose

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98

JenRose

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
I designed the form with that knowledge. The fact of the matter is that
some people just don't want to be archived that way, and I respect that.
Some authors have retracted their permission for Gossamer to archive
simply because they wish to retain more control. This is why I put
"Notification preferred" or "Notification required".

This is a tool which is designed to make it a bit easier for smaller
archives to find out quickly if the author they want to link to has a
blanket permission for them to do so.

As for larger projects, as far as I know they don't have the "blessing"
of the community for assumed permission anyway. Things like Dejanews are
so automatic that if one is serious about not being archived, one must
do the x-no archive-yes deelybop.
People who decide to do large archives with a large number of stories
can't assume blanket permission. Gossamer already has it, with an
established way of saying "Don't archive".

This is merely intended to help archivists who are looking to move their
links from gossmaer to author pages to know when it is okay to do so. It
is helpful for them to know what the author's general opinion is on the
subject, so that they don't accidentally archive someone who does not
want to be archived.

Putting authors' homepages in this highly searchable format makes it
much easier for archivists to switch links from gossamer to individual
author sites. This benefits the community greatly by taking the stress
off of Gossamer.

No archive is "complete". Not even gossamer. I think the uncertainty
principle explains this well.<G> You can never know exactly where all of
the stories are, because some are not posted here, others are posted
with a no-archive, and some simply never get to gossamer at all even if
they are posted here. Authors have an absolute right to control where
their works are archived, even if it is inconvenient to the community.

I want to make sure that people don't cavalierly start archiving without
respect to the authors wishes. Yes, it makes it more difficult. But
that's the way it is.

There are some really fantastic authors out there who specifically don't
want their stories archived willy-nilly all over the net. Some who are
not included at Gossamer at all by their own request. I personally would
love it if all stories were on Gossamer. But as long as people don't
respect the author's wish to notify, some authors will chose not to be
archived at all.

That's where the community loses.

Natasha wrote in message <35af34cf...@news.newsguy.com>...

>>Gossamer- Yepper!
>>Non-Gossamer- Yes, with notification (I like to gloat, just a little.
:P)

>>Link anywhere, with notification.
>

>You guys do know you are making it impossible for anyone to ever able
>maintain a complete archive like gossamer or even a large archive based
on
>keywords from the gossamer database? It's not feasible to even try to
contact
>hundreds of authors, not to mention being totally impossible to keep up
with
>current e-mail addys so you can get in touch with them! It might be
worth
>stepping back and thinking about how this will affect the community in
the
>long run...
>
>Nat
>who always asks permission to add novels but then there aren't that
many of
>those...
>

>Natasha
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>the annex - xf novel archive
>http://gfiles.simplenet.com/annex
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Loch Ness

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
Natasha wrote:

> You guys do know you are making it impossible for anyone to ever able to
> maintain a complete archive like gossamer or even a large archive based on
> keywords from the gossamer database?

I think is a valid point if you assume that these messages will be the
*only* source for distribution information. But they're not. Almost
everything posted these days contains some kind of distribution
statement at the top, whether it's "do not archive" or "only at
Gossamer" or "archive anywhere" or whatever. IIRC, the Gossamer FAQ
requests/requires that, and my personal view is that if you don't put
that statement at the top, any archivist is free to do whatever he/she
wishes. I don't think JenRoses' intent was to eliminate those
distribution statements - I doubt any of us really expects that
archivists are going to check DejaNews every time they want to add a
story.

Of course, I've been wrong before... :-)

Lord knows, as an author, I'm not going to stop putting a distribution
statement on top of my stories, and as an archivist, I'm going to check
the story itself first.

On the other hand, my situation is a little different - nobody gets into
my archive without certifying to me that they're either a Texan by
residence or that they've written a story set in Texas, so the danger
I'd put in something the author doesn't want there is about as minimal
as it gets.

Loch Ness

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
Natasha wrote:

> In the past the attitude seemed to be that as long as an archive didn't pick
> and choose which stories to add that it could assume blanket permission to
> archive stories the same as gossamer.

Archivist mode off; author mode on. I know, but some of us have a
problem with that attitude. I have occasionally objected to the way a
non-Gossamer archive presented my stories - the one that sent me
ballistic was one that, cavalierly and without my knowledge or consent,
changed the rating on one of my pieces from NC-17 to R. That was the
point at which I started posting things with a notation that said "do
not archive without author's express permission." Mainly I want to know
where the stories are, so I can have a look and correct any problems
(and not end up getting surprised by a flame from somebody who finds
NC-17 material in a story someone else opted to rate R).

And yes, all my stuff is at Gossamer. I post with a "do not archive,"
then send it to Gossamer in a separate mailing, with an e-mail that
gives permission and asks them not to remove the "do not archive"
statement - in what now appears to be a vain hope that specialty
archivists will see the statement and either ask for permission or take
a pass on the story.

FWIW, I don't believe I've ever refused permission when somebody asked.
And the only time I've ever insisted someone pull a piece out was the
by-now-notorious rating fiasco.

> Sites like the Soulmates Eternal Romance
> archive link to all the stories tagged with the Mulder/Scully keyword, I don't
> even know if they look at the files.

Yikes! They do? Arrgh. What's the URL?

> I'm sure there are other sites that
> operate along these lines and I just wonder what this trend will mean for
> them.

Well, if that's so, I personally would like to discourage it. But then,
anybody linking on the basis of keywords won't pick up my stuff anyway,
because I don't like keywords and don't use them.

Megan

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
Natasha's completely right on this issue. It's nice to be notified. But
if you change your email address every other week, it's not going to
happen. And while it's nice promotion to get people to visit your
archive, it is extremely time-consuming.

This is one of my biggest problems on the Scully archive and I'm glad
someone else brought it up first.

Megan

Natasha wrote:

> >Gossamer- Yepper!
> >Non-Gossamer- Yes, with notification (I like to gloat, just a little. :P)
> >
> >Link anywhere, with notification.
>

> You guys do know you are making it impossible for anyone to ever able to
> maintain a complete archive like gossamer or even a large archive based on

> keywords from the gossamer database? It's not feasible to even try to contact
> hundreds of authors, not to mention being totally impossible to keep up with
> current e-mail addys so you can get in touch with them! It might be worth
> stepping back and thinking about how this will affect the community in the
> long run...
>
> Nat
> who always asks permission to add novels but then there aren't that many of
> those...
>
> Natasha
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> the annex - xf novel archive
> http://gfiles.simplenet.com/annex
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

_ANYONE WHO FIGHTS FOR THE FUTURE LIVES IN IT TODAY__

setm...@postoffice.pacbell.net

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
> Author name:

Polly Robinson

setm...@pacbell.net

> fanfiction web page (if any):

none

> Permission to archive: (tell us which apply)

> -At Gossamer? (yes/no)

Yes

> Choose one of the following for all non-gossamer sites

-Yes, with notification

> Permission to link to stories:
> -At Gossamer? (y/n)

Yes

> -At your homepage? (choose one of the following)

> -always?
> -notification preferred?
> -notification required?
> -permission required?
> -never

n/a

JenRose

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
To clarify:

My original motivation for this was....
<drumroll>

Gossamer archivists suggested that other archivists either host the
stories themselves or link to the authors sites.

RATHER THAN forcing each and every archivist to email each and every
author and ask them permission for this, I thought it would be really
cool to have that information readily available. A lot of us couldn't
care less who archives our stuff and where, and others of us care very
much. If I were an archivist, I'd want to know.

So this *may* reduce the workload involved in shifting links and
downloading stories, by reducing the numbers of permissions people have
to ask for.

If someone says, "Yes, I have a web page, and it's okay for people to
link to it with permission", and someone already has permission to link
to that story on Gossamer and wants to move the link, they know that:
1. The author *does* have a web page
2. The author is willing to have people link to it
3. The author has a current e-mail address

Thus, it is easier for an archivist to know it's okay to move the link
or archive the story, and Gossamer's load is reduced.

This is not a "permanent" or "complete" solution. It's a temporary and
useful tool to help ease the work load a bit.

If you were in the process right now of shifting links for 200 stories
from 30 authors, wouldn't it help if you could find the web pages,
permission status, etc. right here, rather than opening each and every
story and praying that the email is still good?

Loch Ness wrote in message <35A98873...@mindspring.com>...

>Natasha wrote:
>>
>> You guys do know you are making it impossible for anyone to ever able
>> maintain a complete archive like gossamer or even a large archive
based on
>> keywords from the gossamer database?
>

>I think is a valid point if you assume that these messages will be the
>*only* source for distribution information. But they're not. Almost
>everything posted these days contains some kind of distribution
>statement at the top, whether it's "do not archive" or "only at
>Gossamer" or "archive anywhere" or whatever. IIRC, the Gossamer FAQ
>requests/requires that, and my personal view is that if you don't put
>that statement at the top, any archivist is free to do whatever he/she
>wishes. I don't think JenRoses' intent was to eliminate those
>distribution statements - I doubt any of us really expects that
>archivists are going to check DejaNews every time they want to add a
>story.
>
>Of course, I've been wrong before... :-)
>
>Lord knows, as an author, I'm not going to stop putting a distribution
>statement on top of my stories, and as an archivist, I'm going to check
>the story itself first.
>
>On the other hand, my situation is a little different - nobody gets
into
>my archive without certifying to me that they're either a Texan by
>residence or that they've written a story set in Texas, so the danger
>I'd put in something the author doesn't want there is about as minimal
>as it gets.

JenRose

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
But this is an issue completely aside from the form I created. The fact
of the matter is that some people will want to be notified, and some
people will require that you ask permission.

I'm just helpign get the info in one place.

IF you already have permission from someone to link to their story on
Gossamer, and they have a website and they don't mind people linking to
it if they have permission, then it makes it much simpler for you to
come here and find their name, rather than waiting for the email
permission, etc.

So you can move your links from gossamer and reduce the load.
Jen
Megan wrote in message <35A994...@prodigy.net>...

>Natasha's completely right on this issue. It's nice to be notified.
But
>if you change your email address every other week, it's not going to
>happen. And while it's nice promotion to get people to visit your
>archive, it is extremely time-consuming.
>
>This is one of my biggest problems on the Scully archive and I'm glad
>someone else brought it up first.
>
>Megan
>
>Natasha wrote:
>>
>> >Gossamer- Yepper!
>> >Non-Gossamer- Yes, with notification (I like to gloat, just a
little. :P)

>> >Link anywhere, with notification.
>>

>> You guys do know you are making it impossible for anyone to ever able
>> maintain a complete archive like gossamer or even a large archive
based on

Pyrephox18

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
>You guys do know you are making it impossible for anyone to ever able to
>maintain a complete archive like gossamer or even a large archive based on
>keywords from the gossamer database? It's not feasible to even try to contact
>hundreds of authors, not to mention being totally impossible to keep up with
>current e-mail addys so you can get in touch with them! It might be worth
>stepping back and thinking about how this will affect the community in the
>long run...

*blinks* I just like knowing someone enjoyed my stories enough to archive or
link to them... it makes me happy. I don't suppose they *have to* if it's
really that much of a problem, but since I don't really have the time to check
all the fanfic archives out there, I might never know where my stories have
gone...

Pyrephox- doesn't mean to upset people...

Athena1600

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
Author name: Kate Dyer
email addresses: Athen...@aol.com
fanfiction web page (if any): Not at the time

Permission to archive: (tell us which apply)
-At Gossamer? (yes/no) Yes!

Choose one of the following for all non-gossamer sites
-Yes, anywhere - Yes, notification if you want to

Permission to link to stories:
-At Gossamer? (y/n) Yes

Author information: I am a student right now, and after graduation, wish to
become a Forensics Scientist for the FBI. I've been watching the X-Files since
the third season, and was totally devoted by the end of the fourth season. I
started writing fanfic around Christmas of '97 (my first fanfic was Mistletoe).
Since, I've written more, mostly MSR and KSR. I hope to write much more as
the series continues.

~Kate Dyer~

They've given enough to hurt you, with all the things they say, so you put on
your armor, and stand in the rain. You're wearing the target it took so long
to earn, you start looking sideways, but you never turn. 'Flower Man' by Tonic

Kirsten M. Berry

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
}Author name:
Kirsten M. Berry
}email addresses:
ki...@hooked.net (primary)
ksha...@juno.com (alternate)

}fanfiction web page (if any):
http://www.hooked.net/~kirib/fanfic.html
}Permission to archive:
}-At Gossamer? (yes/no)
Yes

}Choose one of the following for all non-gossamer sites
yes, with notification

}Permission to link to stories:

}-At your homepage? (choose one of the following)

notification preferred

}Author information:
Kirsten Berry is decidedly full of herself for thinking four
stories will make a difference in bandwidth in the long run.
She writes exceedingly infrequently, her time being largely
taken up by her husband of seven years, Douglas, and what
laughingly passes for her social life in San Francisco, CA.
-- __
Kirsten M. Berry, Samurai Webmistress /` `\
ki...@hooked.net ___ | |
http://www.hooked.net/~kirib jgs [___]>=-=-=-=-=' \____/
"Some days, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps...."
-Emo Philips
"Because, after all, nothin' says lovin' like handcuffs and naugahyde."
-Fox Mulder, *Carpe Felis Mortuus*

shan...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Labyrinth/9298/myfanfic.html

> Permission to archive: (tell us which apply)

At Gossamer? No (I will sumbit my own, thanks!)

> Choose one of the following for all non-gossamer sites

Yes, with notification

> Permission to link to stories:

At Gossamer? Yes

> At your homepage? (choose one of the following)

Notification required, please!

> Author information: (optional, even more optional than the rest of this
> form.) This would be a "bio" or other information you consider relevant.
> Several sentences about you or your work... consider it the "about the
> author."

>Shannon O'Connor is an editor and writer living in Atlanta, Georgia. She's been

writing X-Files fanfiction since late 1997, and all her stories are available
at her fanfic page,
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Labyrinth/9298/myfanfic.html. Feedback,
comments, challenges, etc., are always welcome at either shan...@iname.com
or soco...@mindspring.com.

Great idea, BTW, Jen!

Shannon

Circe

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
Megan wrote:

> Natasha's completely right on this issue. It's nice to be notified. But
> if you change your email address every other week, it's not going to
> happen. And while it's nice promotion to get people to visit your
> archive, it is extremely time-consuming.

True, but it's nice to at least attempt to ask permission, especially when the
author has requested notification. I've never denied anyone permission, but I like
to know where my stories are. I don't think it's too much to ask for the archivist
to drop me a line and let me know they've archived my story.

--
Circe
The Titanium Magnolia

Badt...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98

> Author name: Lynn Gregg

> email addresses: pyt...@aye.net (main), badtzm...@yahoo.com (alternate)

> fanfiction web page (if any): http://members.tripod.com/~dkscully1013

> Permission to archive: (tell us which apply)

> -At Gossamer? (yes/no) Yes!

> Choose one of the following for all non-gossamer sites

> -Yes, anywhere, just let me know so I can visit my brainchildren

> Permission to link to stories:

> -At Gossamer? (y/n) Yes
> -At your homepage? (choose one of the following)
> -notification preferred?
>
> Author information: I've been writing for as long as I've had the manual

dexterity to hold a pen, on any and every subject that came to mind. For the
past year and a half or so, however, those creative urges have been
manifesting themselves almost exclusively in the form of X-Files fan fiction.
Though I started out as an MSR vignette writer, just lately my stories have
developed an alarming tendency toward having actual plots; where this will
lead me remains a matter of speculation. I've been a Phile since second
season and stand as a committed Scullyist (though one with great affection
for her partner) and an unabashed Relationshipper.

Lynn Gregg

The Basement Office
http://members.tripod.com/~dkscully1013

Khyber

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98

>3. Fill out the form below:
>Here's the form:
>
>Author name: Khyber
>email addresses: khybe...@geocities.com
>fanfiction web page (if any): http://www.geocities.com/athens/academy/8747/khybarchive.html

>Permission to archive: (tell us which apply)
>-At Gossamer? Yes

>Choose one of the following for all non-gossamer sites

>-Yes, with notification

>Permission to link to stories:

>-At Gossamer? Yes

D Moore

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
Author name: David Moore
email addresses: atogguy @ vividnet.com (please remove the spaces)

fanfiction web page (if any):
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Lair/7671/

Permission to archive: (tell us which apply)
-At Gossamer? NO, NO, NEVER! I check the archive weekly for any of my
stuff, and if I see it there, I'll just get it taken down.

Choose one of the following for all non-gossamer sites
- with permission.

Permission to link to stories:

-At Gossamer? (y/n) nope, since I'm not in Gossamer

-At your homepage? (choose one of the following)

-with my permission, although feel free to link TO my homepage
all you want

Author information: Uh, yeah. Like you care!

Lambert Family & littlee

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98

Author name: little e!
email addresses: litt...@yahoo.com
fanfiction web page (if any): N/A

Permission to archive: (tell us which apply)

-At Gossamer? (yes/no) yes

Choose one of the following for all non-gossamer sites

-Yes, with notification

Permission to link to stories:

-At Gossamer? (y/n) y

-At your homepage? (choose one of the following)

-notification preferred.

Author information: Published, school writing collection, "The Spinaker",
Winner of the Parent / Teacher Assiontion best Literary Magazine.
Archived, Gossamer, 'The countdown,' June 2 1998.

little e! prefers to write friend'shippiness, MSR, Humour, and Animorphs
& Caroline in the city Crossovers. And songfic.

The Lonely Gungirl

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
Author name: The Lone Gungirl, aka Sunshine Zellis

email addresses: be...@delanet.com

fanfiction web page (if any): Fanfickers Anonymous
http://www.delanet.com/~bell/fanfic

Permission to archive: (tell us which apply)
-At Gossamer? (yes/no) yes
Choose one of the following for all non-gossamer sites
-Yes, with notification

Permission to link to stories:

-At Gossamer? No, theres no point. Copy it to your own page if you're gonna
do that, it just brings up Gossamer traffic.

-At your homepage? (choose one of the following)

-notification required? (so I can check out what you're doing)

Author information:
The Lone Gungirl is a delusional sixteen-year-old living in the back boonies
of Delaware. That is what she blames her psychosis on. She is an aspiring
webmistress, screenplay writer, and actress, and has absolutely no idea what
she'll do after high school because she's under the impression that she'll
never grow up. She graduates in the Class of '00 (woo hoo!~), hangs out with
trolls and terrorists in her spare time, and dreams too much and doesn't
write enough.

~Sunny,
pondering how strange it is to talk in the third person... lol

--
Legal Warning: Anyone sending me unsolicited/commercial email WILL be
charged a $100 proof-reading fee. I WILL take legal action.

JenRose

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98

The Lonely Gungirl wrote in message <35ACEADB...@delanet.com>...

>Author name: The Lone Gungirl, aka Sunshine Zellis
<snip>

>Legal Warning: Anyone sending me unsolicited/commercial email WILL be
>charged a $100 proof-reading fee. I WILL take legal action.
>consider this an official notice:
>"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
>meets the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec. 227(b)(1)(C),
it
>is unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment.
>By Sec. 227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
>punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500,
>whichever is greater, for each violation."
>****To reply indicates consent to the above conditions.****

OOOOooooo Baby!

Whip me! Beat me! Make me send you unsolicited commercial email!

Maureen S. O'Brien

Jul 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/19/98
Author name: Maureen S. O'Brien (Maureen O'Brien

email addresses: mob...@dnaco.net

fanfiction web page (if any): Maureen's Fanfic
http://www.dnaco.net/~mobrien/fanfic/

Permission to archive: (tell us which apply)
-At Gossamer? (yes/no) yes
Choose one of the following for all non-gossamer sites
-Yes

Permission to link to stories:
-At Gossamer? Yes

-At your homepage? (choose one of the following)

Yes. (No notification)

Author information:
Maureen S. O'Brien lives in Kettering, Ohio. She writes filksongs,
fanfic, and posts about her favorite shows late at night when she
should be sleeping.

conchita912

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
Author name: Linda M.

email address: conch...@yahoo.com

fanfiction web page: It's not up yet, but soon...
http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Studio/3105/fanfic.html

Permission to archive: (tell us which apply)

-At Gossamer? Yes please

Choose one of the following for all non-gossamer sites

Yes (a note would be nice though :)

Permission to link to stories:
-At Gossamer? Yes

-At your homepage? notification preferred (if you do link, just to the
stories. Please don't link to my graphics or pics. thanks!)

Author Information:

Linda Mejia is a 21 year old college student currently enrolled at Wayne
State University in Detroit, MI and majoring in Elementary Education. She
started watching the X-Files during the first season and got hooked after
'Tooms'. Linda has been writing fanfic since November 1997 and only has a
couple of fanfics under her belt, but she's trying to write more
frequently. She's a finis shipper and her fanfic usually involves
UST/borderline MSR.

conchita912

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
My bad, can you change my author info? Thanks! (Who am I kidding it's
usually MSR all the way ;)

conchita912 wrote:

> Author Information:
>
> Linda Mejia is a 21 year old college student currently enrolled at Wayne
> State University in Detroit, MI and majoring in Elementary Education. She
> started watching the X-Files during the first season and got hooked after
> 'Tooms'. Linda has been writing fanfic since November 1997 and only has a
> couple of fanfics under her belt, but she's trying to write more

> frequently. She's a finis shipper and her fanfic usually involves UST/MSR.

Mystacy

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98

http://website.lineone.net/~mystacy/Xfiles/Myxfic.htm

>Permission to archive: (tell us which apply)
>-At Gossamer? (yes/no) Yes - always

>Choose one of the following for all non-gossamer sites
>-Yes, with notification

>Permission to link to stories:
>-At Gossamer? (y/n) Yes - always

>-At your homepage? (choose one of the following)
> -always?
> -notification preferred?
>
>Author information:
I've been a fan of the X-files ever since the first episode was shown
here in the U.K on BBC-TV
and since i found by accident the x-files creative newsgroup, i have
become hooked on XF fan fic.
reading some of the stories inspired me to write my own short stories,
which are mostly on the humourous side <grin>
I have quite a few favourite fanfics, too numourous to mention, as by the
time you read this, i'd have added a few more to my favourites list.
So if you fancy a laugh - Read my "X-File Funnies" series and my "Faxes
From The Gunmen" series, as these will be the main area of any fanfic i will
write, plus maybe a few others from time to time.

visit my X-File fanfic page - where i will put all my xf fanfic as and when
i write them.
http://website.lineone.net/~mystacy/Xfiles/Myxfic.htm

Enjoy !!
Big Pete,