xfc NEW: When God Dreams, 3 of 3. by Snark, rated PG

Snark

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
From: Snark <snar...@yahoo.com>

TITLE: When God Dreams, 3/3
AUTHOR: Snark
E-MAIL: snar...@yahoo.com

SUMMARY: Scully and Mulder... ascend to the stars, in a
rather interesting way. Fluff, with a bit of angsty-type
conversation, thus ensues.

Complete disclaimer can be found in section 1/3.

They stayed that way for a time, holding each other close even
after the tears subsided. It wasn't an embrace of passion, even
though they were locked tightly together, heads buried in each
other's shoulders--it was simply the outward expression of an
inner loyalty so strong, a devotion so fierce that neither could
have begun to describe it. All they knew was that they never
wanted to lose it.

After a while, they broke away from each other, Mulder making
a joke as he stood, something about putting a wet spot on her
shoulder. Scully just laughed, the sound rolling out across them
like a refreshing rain, washing away the last feelings of tension.

Stretching his arms up above his head, Mulder commented that
he could use another glass of wine. "It's not exactly the Taster's
Choice required by the previous moments, but it'll have to do,"
he laughed as he poured himself the last drop of the Merlot. He
offered the glass to Scully in case she wanted some, but she just
shook her head, saying she'd had her fill.

As Mulder sat back down a little ways from her, Scully glanced
up into the night sky once more. The northern lights were still
dancing above them, even more brilliant than before, if such a
thing were possible.

"You know, Mulder," she said, indicating the beauty above them,
"When you see something like this, it just makes all things seem
possible. Like maybe a unicorn will gallop by, mane streaming in
the wind, or a faun will ask us to join him in a dreamdance." She
turned at a sound from Mulder, something not quite a laugh, but
not quite a sigh. He glanced up at her, reading her questioning
look as easily as if she'd actually spoken.

"Ah, it's nothing. You just reminded me of something someone
once said," Mulder said quietly, a smile playing about his lips as
he gently traced the rim of his glass with his forefinger. Scully
knew that smile, although she rarely saw it. It was a smile
reserved for only one particular person in Mulder's memory, the
smile of a brother for his younger sister.

"Of something who once said about what?" Scully asked.

"Something Samantha once said about the aurora borealis. She
first saw them with me when she was about 6, I was maybe 10 or
so," he said, leaning back to stare up at the sky as he spoke. "She
hadn't shut up all day long, yammering on about this friend and
that friend, this tea party and that birthday party, you know.
Really annoying me and everyone else. But when I found out that
the lightshow that was supposed to be that night, I knew I didn't
want her to miss it. I'd seen them once before and I wanted her to
see them with me, even though she was just, you know, my
annoying little sister.

"She had been whining all the way up the hillside that night,
about being woken up in the middle of the night and that she was
tired and wanted to go home. I kept telling her to just wait, that
she'd see something amazing and feel a power not of this world.

"The hillside was covered with dense trees, so we were unable to
see the sky until we topped out onto the small clearing at the very
peak of the hill. I covered her eyes while we walked to the center
of the clearing--perhaps she was beginning to hope there was
really something great about to happen, because she didn't fight
me at all. We sat down side by side. I had brought a small
blanket with me, and I wrapped it around us against the chill.
When it was all set, I whispered to her to open her eyes and look
up.

"Up to that point, I thought I'd seen happiness in her before. You
know, Samantha opening a new doll on her birthday, or getting a
gift of money from grandma on Christmas morning. But I never
saw her in such a state of pure awe as I did that night. It was just
like this, just like it is tonight. Swirling, multicolored lights, the
air clean and crisp. It was... it was like magic. My little, annoying
brat of a sister couldn't take her eyes off the sky and neither
could I.

"After a while, she leaned over and asked me what this all was. I
tried to explain about gas particles colliding, about plasma and
magnetic fields. She just shook her head, not believing a word of
it. I asked her what she thought it was. She stared up at the sky
some more, her eyes shining in the light.

"'This is God dreaming,' she whispered to me. She laid her hand
over mine, then, smiling as if she'd just let me in on the biggest
secret of the universe. We sat for the rest of the night that way, in
perfect silence and contentment." Mulder trailed off, looking up
at the lights above them, a smile still present on his face as he
replayed that night from so long ago.

Scully had always known that Mulder loved Samantha with all
his heart. My god, he's devoted his entire life to finding her, she
thought--if that's not love, then I doubt such a thing even exists.
But until this night, she had never realized how much Mulder
*liked* his little sister, even as he tried to hide it.

They hadn't just been siblings, caring for each other simply
because they shared the same parents and lived in the same
house. They had truly been friends, or were at least growing up
to be friends as the years went by. When Mulder had wanted to
share the 'lightshow' with someone that night, he hadn't woken
his father, or his mother, or gone to the house of a friend his own
age.

He had woken up his little sister, taking her with him as they
climbed towards the stars to share a midnight wonder.

After a few moments, Scully stood up. Thinking she meant to put
an end to the evening, Mulder started to get to his feet as well.
Scully just shook her head, motioning for Mulder to stay put and
relax. She took a few steps to grab up the blanket from in front of
them, shaking it out to knock loose the few pebbles clinging to it.
She sat down next to Mulder, squeezing up close to him this time
as she draped the blanket across them both and tucked it in
around them.

Reaching for his hand, she laced her fingers through his,
squeezing his hand gently as she looked at him. He just smiled
down at her, squeezing her hand too as he pressed a gentle kiss to
her forehead.

Tilting their heads towards the sky, they sat in perfect silence for
a long, long time...

Watching God dream, in perfect contentment.

* * * -30- * * * Story End * * * -30- * * *

AUTHOR'S NOTES, ROUND TWO:
I have never been to Virginia in my life, I will state
that right off the bat. To pick town names, I simply used
a map to find names that appeared to fit the needs of my
story. The college and building names are entirely made
up, used simply for effect in this story.

However, the general idea of the story is based on my own
college days. I and several friends used to climb the
buildings of our college all the time, often bringing...
refreshments and such in backpacks. CD players, frisbees,
slingshots... whoops, did I say that last one out loud?

Related to that, though, this author and story is in no
way recommending that you partake in any climbing of
buildings for any reason. It is usually illegal and always
highly dangerous, especially after the consumption of
certain... liquid refreshments.

Comments, feedback, questions? Please contact me at
snar...@yahoo.com to discuss this story.

Thanks!

How has ONElist changed your life?
Share your story with us at http://www.onelist.com

Harper

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99
It's a pity that this term isn't used on atxc, as I'd describe
this as a lovely slice of Moose & Squirrel WAFF (stands
for warm-and-fuzzy-feelings). But since it isn't applied
here, I won't. <g> Instead, I'll just say I enjoyed it.

Eve
-Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me...

~~~
Mulder (reading letter): Sincerely, you know who. P.S. Say
hi to the FBI agents.
Clyde: Hi.

Lisa: DreaManiChicKuriouStarfire

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99

A remarkably sensitive and well-written story. You played all the
right notes in all the right places, and actually made me cry. This
was an absolutely beautiful story. Never stop writing.

Lisa Ann -- Everything Grrl -- S*t*a*r*7*c*y*b*o*r*g*i*r*l*@lycosmail.com (Keep an asterisk-blind viewpoint.)

"Usenet is the place where people beat the memories of grease-spots left by dead horses."
--Tetsab