FAQ?

Charles F. Barnett

Feb 2, 1995, 11:15:25 PM2/2/95
Looked on rtfm.mit.edu, did an Archie search and saw nothing. Is there
an FAQ and where?

Daniel Raeside

Feb 3, 1995, 9:03:17 AM2/3/95

In a previous posting, Charles F. Barnett (cfba...@artsci.wustl.edu) writes:
> Looked on rtfm.mit.edu, did an Archie search and saw nothing. Is there
> an FAQ and where?

There is a FAQ floating about somewhere. THE_C...@AOL.COM<not
sure if this is the right address> created the Faq with contributions
by many WG fans(including yours truly:->). It has a complete ep
guide with the exception of the final SB eps, DEAD RIGHT, POINT OF
NO RETURN AND CHANGING HOUSES.

ERIC

--
" If PRIMUS can make money, we can make money"
KORY CLARKE (WARRIOR SOUL)

ERIC

Charles F. Barnett

Feb 3, 1995, 10:15:32 PM2/3/95
Daniel Raeside (ad...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA) wrote:

: There is a FAQ floating about somewhere. THE_C...@AOL.COM<not

The filename would be useful trying to hunt it down. Thanks.

Charles

slashing Sandy

Feb 3, 1995, 11:13:55 PM2/3/95
ad...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Daniel Raeside) writes:

>In a previous posting, Charles F. Barnett (cfba...@artsci.wustl.edu) writes:
>> Looked on rtfm.mit.edu, did an Archie search and saw nothing. Is there
>> an FAQ and where?

> There is a FAQ floating about somewhere. THE_C...@AOL.COM<not

Eric, as the by far most frequent poster, why don't you just sent
people the faq when the ask for it? I know you have it; I've sent
it to you...

(And yes, I've sent it on to Charles already, but I don't always
read this group and you do.)

Sandy

TheCompany

Feb 5, 1995, 7:05:35 PM2/5/95
Actually, I used to update and keep that FAQ...here it is from it's last
form. Anyone wishing to edit or update, by all means DO!!! I'd love to
keep this thing going.

--[WISEGUY FAQ and Episode Guide V1.9 9/94]--

Prepared by THECO...@AOL.COM (send all questions and comments)
with help from: Christoph Steinecke (APOLOGIES, I lost your address)
Eric (AD...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA)
William December Starr (wds...@crl.com)
mori...@tc.fluke.COM
Cinemania '94 CD-ROM

New to this FAQ:
A Newsgroup!
More info/film lists on the cast
Lifeguard's name

Future versions: (any help with these please?)
Addresses of cast members
Steven J. Cannell show listings
Lifeguard's real name
Lost episodes?
Missing cast members names (especially OCB superiors)

----
Q. Where and when is this FAQ posted?
This FAQ will be posted in REC.ARTS.TV. and ALT.TV.WISEGUY.
It will be posted on or around the first of the month.

Q. What's with the version number?
The version number will now reflect the current month of
release. For example, V1.7 would reflect the first year of
release and the seventh month (July).

Q. Is there a Wiseguy Newsgroup or mailing list?
Yes...ALT.TV.WISEGUY. And there is a lot of Wiseguy posts in
REC.ARTS.TV as well.

----
Q. What is (or was) Wiseguy?
A. Wiseguy is a series from Steven J. Cannell that run on CBS
from 1987-1990. Starring Ken Wahl as undercover agent Vincent
Terranova, what made the show unique is that it ran in arcs.

Q. What is the OCB?
The OCB is a fictional division of the FBI called the Organized
Crime Bureau.

Q. And what is an arc?
An arc is similar to a mini-series. Most of the episodes in
Wiseguy ran from one week to the next (like a serial or soap
opera). This allowed for better storylines and more realistic
characters.

Q. Who is Steven J. Cannell?
Besides writing and producing Wiseguy, he's most well known for
work on 21 Jump Street and the current USA Network series, Silk
Stalkings.

Q. Where was Wiseguy filmed?
Wiseguy, like almost all of SJC productions, was filmed in
Vancouver, British Columbia.

----
Q. What can you tell me about:
KEN WAHL
Born: February 14, 1960, Chicago, IL

Tall, dark, down-to-earth leading man, typically in streetwise
parts. Wahl had no previous acting training or experience when
he auditioned for, and landed the role of, street gang member
Richie Gennaro in Philip Kaufman's The Wanderers (1979). He is
best known as tough but troubled undercover detective Vinnie
Terranova in the CBS dramatic series, "Wiseguy".

1979 The Wanderers
1981 Fort Apache, The Bronx
1981 Race For the Yankee Zephyr
1982 Jinxed!
1982 The Soldier
1984 Purple Hearts
1986 Omega 7
1991 The Taking of Beverly Hills

JONATHAN BANKS
1977 The Girl In The Empty Grave
1980 Desperate Voyage
1980 Rage
1982 48 Hrs.
1983 The Invisible Woman
1984 Beverly Hills Cop
1984 Nadia
1986 Armed And Dangerous
1986 Who Is Julia?
1987 Cold Steel
1991 Don't Touch My Daughter
1992 Freejack
1992 There Goes The Neighborhood
1993 Blind Side
1993 Boiling Point

ANTHONY JOHN DENISON
1988 The Great Escape II
1990 The Girl Who Came Between Them
1990 Little Vegas
1991 City Of Hope
1993 The Amy Fisher Story

STEVEN BAUER
Birth Name: Steven Echevarria
Born: December 2, 1956, Cuba
Education: Dade Junior College, Miami, FL (acting)

Darkly handsome supporting player who made a notable film debut
as Al Pacino's right hand man and short-lived brother-in-law in
Scarface (1983). Divorced from actress Melanie Griffith.

1983 Scarface
1984 Thief of Hearts
1986 Running Scared
1988 The Beast
1988 Wildfire
1989 Gleaming the Cube
1990 A Climate For Killing
1992 Raising Cain

----
Q. What happened to Ken Wahl during the Rag Trade arc?
Ken Wahl had injured his leg in an accident and wasn't able to
perform for a few episodes. Anthony Denison stepped in to play
OCB agent John Raglin.

Q. Why did Ken Wahl leave the show?
Apparently Ken and SJC were not seeing eye to eye on the
direction of the show. Ken wanted more of the same while SJC
wanted to get away from the 'arcs'. Ken considered the show his
and took a lot of pride in it, and he didn't want it to be just
another run of the mill cop show. He was replaced by Steven
Bauer. The show didn't last long after this.

Q. What's this I hear on a Wiseguy reunion?
That's the rumour started by Ken Wahl on a recent talk show
appearance, further fueled by a People magazine interview.
Clarification please?

Q. Is Jim Byrnes (Lifeguard) really disabled?
Jim Byrnes lost both his legs from the knees on in an
automobile accident. 15 or 20 years to the exact day, Jim landed
the role as Lifeguard.

Q. While we're at it, what is Lifeguard's name?
Lifeguard, also known as Vinnie's Uncle Mike for undercover
purposes, had the name of Daniel Benjamin Burroughs.

Q. Did the show or any actors ever win any awards?
A. Ken Wahl was nominated for an Emmy in 1990 and the show itself
won an award from Viewers For Quality Television. Ken also won a
Golden Globe for the episode "How Will They Remember Me?"

Q. Where can I find Wiseguy in syndication? Or videotapes?
Good question and one I really wish I had an answer to! Any
help on this would be appreciated (I've heard rumors of USA
Networks picking up the show, but alas they are just rumors).
Maybe some sort of tape traders network can be started?

Q. Any books? Or maybe fanclubs?
"The Unofficial Story of the Making of a WISEGUY", by Edwin Gross,
Pioneer Books, Inc., ISBN 1-55698-256-9. Warning, it is a
cheaply produced book...but it is informative (and the only
game in town).

As far as fan clubs, I know of none...anyone?

----
MAIN CAST -
OCB:
Vincent Terranova Ken Wahl
Frank McPike Jonathan Banks
Lifeguard Jim Byrnes
Roger Lococco William Russ
John Raglin Anthony Denison
Michael Santana Steven Bauer

Vinnie's family & friends:
Father Pete Terranova Gerald Anthony (Vinnie's brother)
Carlotta Terranova Elsa Raven (Vinnie's mother)
Don Aiuppo George Petrie
Richie Tim Guinee
Amber Twine Patti D'Arbanville
Mooch Tony Ganios
Denise Kathy Moriarty

ARC specific:
Sonny Steelgrave Ray Sharkey
Patrice Joe Dallesandro
Harry Eric Christmas
Syd Royce Dennis Lipscomb

Mel Profitt Kevin Spacey
Susan Profitt Joan Severance
Herb Ketcher David Spielberg

Knox Pooley Fred Dalton Thompson
Clavin Hollis Paul Guilfoyle

Eli Sternberg Jerry Lewis
Rick Pinzolo Stanley Tucci
David Sternberg Ron Silver

Bobby Travis Glenn Frey
Winston Newquay Tim Curry
Isaac Twine Paul Winfield
Claudia Newquay Deidre Hall
Diana Price Deborah Harry

Albert Cerrico Robert Davi
Poochy Tony Romano
Grossett John Snyder

Gen. Leland Masters Norman Lloyd
Katherine Gallagher Kim Greist

Mark Volchek Steve Ryan
Kousakis Vincent Guastaferro

Hillary Stein Cecil Hoffman
Dahlia Martika
Amado Guzman Maximillian Schell

----
EPISODE GUIDE (thanks to Christoph Steinecke)

SEASON 1
STEELGRAVE ARC
9/16/87 ( 1) Wiseguy - Part I (pilot) - After spending 18
months in prison to establish his cover, OCB agent Vince
Terranova gets his first assignment: infiltrate the Atlantic
City crime empire of Sonny Steelgrave.
9/16/87 ( 2) Wiseguy - Part II - Sonny's brother Dave is
killed during a deal-gone-sour with Sykes. Meanwhile, Vinnie
moves up the career ladder - becoming Sonny's right hand man.
9/24/87 ( 3) New Blood - A grandstanding prosecutor announces
his plans to bring down Steelgrave which endangers Vinnie's
cover. Meanwhile, Patrice and Mahoney install watchdogs in
Sonny's organization.
10/ 1/87 ( 4) Loose Cannon - Vinnie's new girlfriend, a cop's
widow, deduces his real identity, but his real threat is
Sonny's unbalanced nephew Lorenzo, whose come to learn the
family business.
10/ 8/87 ( 5) Birthday Surprise - Vinnie investigates the
drug-related death of his cousin.
10/15/87 ( 6) One on One - Sonny puts the heat on Vinnie when
he suspects a police plant in his operations.
10/22/87 ( 7) Prodigal Son - After she has been mugged and
injured, Vinnie tells his mother he is working undercover for
the OCB.
10/29/87 ( 8) A Deal's A Deal - Two cops on Sonny's payroll
tail Frank and photograph him talking with Vinnie.
11/ 5/87 ( 9) Marriage of Heaven & Hell - Sonny prepares for
his wedding to Theresa Baglia, while Patrice approaches Vinnie
to join his organization.
11/12/87 (10) No One Gets Out of Here Alive - Vinnie and Sonny
have their final showdown locked in a closed-up movie theater.
11/19/87 (11) Last Rites for Lucci - While Vinnie struggles to
come to grips with his involvement in Sonny's takedown, Pete
faces a moral dilemma when he hears the confession of Nick
Lucci, an old friend of Vinnie's who has a contract out on his
life.

PROFITT ARC
1/ 4/88 (12) Independent Operator - Vinnie joins up with hit
man Roger Loccoco who is involved in a world-wide crime ring
headed up by Mel and Susan Profitt.
1/11/88 (13) Fascination for the Flame - Argentine dope
runner Paco Bazos declares war on the Profitts after Mel stops
his wedding.
1/18/88 (14) Smokey Mountain Requiem - Mel offers Vinnie the
chance to run his cocaine operation.
1/25/88 (15) Player To Be Named Now - Mel wants to buy a new
baseball franchise from an enemy who won't sell.
2/ 1/88 (16) Merchant of Death - Mel blackmails a French
foreign minister to fund a Third World revolutionary.
Meanwhile, Susan begins to fall for Vinnie, disturbing Mel.
2/ 8/88 (17) Not for Nothing - Aldo Baglia, who was part of
the Steelgrave mob, shoots Vinnie, causing Roger to have
growing suspicions about Terranova.
2/15/88 (18) Squeeze - Mel is driven back into the drug trade
to regain his financial power. Roger learns that Vinnie is an
OCB agent.
2/22/88 (19) Blood Dance - Roger spins Mel into a deal to
overthrow Isle Pavot. Meanwhile, Vinnie discovers that Roger is
working for the CIA.
3/14/88 (20) Phantom Pain - After Susan's arrest for Mel's
murder, Vinnie finds himself off one case and facing the
possibility of another - fatherhood.
3/21/88 (21) Dirty Little Wars - Vinnie tracks Roger hoping
to uncover CIA links to the planned overthrow of Isle Pavot.
3/28/88 (22) Date With An Angel - Vinnie and Roger are
subpoenaed for the inquest involving the failed overthrow of
Isle Pavot.

SEASON 2
PILGRIMS OF PROMISE ARC
10/26/88 (23) Going Home - After resigning from the OCB,
Vinnie returns home only to face more problems: a white
supremecist group is moving into his old neighborhood and his
brother Pete is killed.
11/ 2/88 (24) School of Hard Knox - Vinnie returns to the OCB
to go after the Pilgrims of Promise and to retreive a misguided
friend who has become a follower.
11/ 9/88 (25) Revenge of the Mud People - Vinnie is arrested
for the murder of an off-duty cop killed by the Pilgrims of
Promise. Later, he finds the man who killed Pete.
11/16/88 (26) Last of the True Believers - Vinnie and the OCB
close in on the Pilgrims of Promise.

12/ 7/88 (27) Aria for Don Aiuppo - Retired mobster Don Aiuppo
makes Vinnie's mother an offer - a marriage proposal.

RAG TRADE ARC
12/14/88 (28) 7th Avenue Freeze Out - Garment manufacturer Eli
Sternberg turns to mobster Rick Pinzolo for help in bailing out
his business, and his son David turns to the OCB.
12/21/88 (29) Next of Kin - The OCB sends in John Raglin to
replace Vinnie who's been hospitalized after being hit by a
car.
1/11/89 (30) All or Nothing - As the Sternbergs close a big
deal, Pinzolo plots to use that deal to bury Elrose Fashions.
1/18/89 (31) Where's the Money? - His relationship with Eli
destroyed, David plans to get even with Pinzolo for the fall of
Elrose Fashions.
1/25/89 (32) Postcards from Morocco - Raglin links Pinzolo to
Carole and tries to make the charges against him hold up.

2/ 1/89 (33) Stairway to Heaven - Vinnie gives Frank $1.25
million in blood money to pay for his alcoholic wife's liver
transplant.

2/15/89 (34) White Noise - Still in pain from his broken leg,
Vinnie is sent to a clinic, but is mistakenly placed in the
psychiatric ward where, in a drug-induced state, he confronts
Steelgrave.

DEAD DOG ARC
3/ 1/89 (35) Dead Dog Lives - Vinnie becomes the head of Dead
Dog Records as part of an OCB probe into the music business and
hires insider Bobby Travis to get him in the groove.
3/ 8/89 (36) And It Comes Out Here - Vinnie initiates a
bidding war between Winston Newquay and Isaac Twine for Dead
Dog Records.
3/22/89 (37) Rip Off Stick - Newquay wants to bring Diana
Price (Deborah Harry) back under his label now that Vinnie has
resurrected her singing career.
4/ 5/89 (38) High Dollar Bop - Vinnie leans on one of
Newquay's new artists, but Newquay pushes back - hard. Twine
loses his company - and Vinnie - to Newquay in a card game.
4/12/89 (39) Hip Hop on the Gravy Train - Vinnie unearths
Newquay's dirty financial operation, while Isaac considers an
offer from the OCB.
5/ 3/89 (40) The One That Got Away - Newquay asks a
Washington DC insider to investigate Vinnie.
5/10/89 (41) Living & Dying In 4/4 Time - The case against
Newquay is dismissed in court.

5/17/89 (42) Call It Casaba - On a camping trip, Vinnie and
Frank try to help Lifeguard come to grips with his relationship
with his daughter.

5/24/89 (43) Le Lacrime de L'Amour - Part I - Amber's lawyer
wants her to sell her record company, but Vinnie is suspicious
of his intent.
5/24/89 (44) Le Lacrime de L'Amour - Part II - Vinnie and
Amber are falling in love, prompting Vinnie's mother and Don
Aiuppo to return from their trip to meet the woman in his life.

SEASON 3
NY MOB WARS ARC
9/20/89 (45) A Rightful Place - The attempt on Don Aiuppo's
life has upset the mob's balance of power, and Albert Cerrico
courts the favor of Vinnie, who has claim to Aiuppo's seat.
9/27/89 (46) Battle of the Barge - Cerrico raises a big stink
in Chinatown over control of garbage collection, while Amber
finds that Vinnie's job is tainting their relationship.
10/ 4/89 (47) Sins of the Father - Gubernatorial candidate
Peter Alatorre seeks to revive his failing campaign by exposing
a mobster - Vinnie.
10/11/89 (48) Heir to the Throne - Aiuppo plans revenge on
Cerrico for the death of his son. Grossett plots a power play
against Cerrico and Aiuppo, while Cerrico plots to seize
control of the commission.

10/25/89 (49) Sleepwalk - Vinnie and Amber attempt to resolve
their relationship during a country retreat.
11/ 1/89 (50) How Will They Remember Me? - Vinnie finds an old
notebook of his father's in a box of Pete's old belongings, and
it reveals a dark episode involving his father and the local
mob.
11/ 8/89 (51) People Do It All The Time - Lifeguard has mixed
feelings about being a grand-father, while his son-in-law
illegally takes a job to support his family.
11/15/89 (52) Reunion - Vinnie meets two old friends at his 15
year high school reunion - Mooch, now a mob lawyer, and Denise,
now a NYPD detective.

WASHINGTON D.C. ARC
11/29/89 (53) Day One - For preventing the overthrow of Isle
Pavot, Gen. Leland Masters sets in motion a plan to set up
Vinnie.
12/ 6/89 (54) Day Four - Vinnie and Frank try to connect
Masters with the counterfeiting ring.
12/13/89 (55) Day Seven - Vinnie finds evidence of the
counterfeiting ring in Utah, but it seems to have come too
easily, so he heads for the mountains to meet a billionaire
recluse who might hold the key to the case.
12/20/89 (56) Day Nine - Vinnie is arrested when Biggs is
discovered aboard the cargo plan full of counterfeit Japanese
currency and is brought up on charges before a Senate hearing.

1/10/90 (57) Meet Mike McPike - Frank's father moves in after
being ejected from a nursing home.
1/17/90 (58) To Die In Bettendorf - After his wife leaves
him, a disturbed Syd Royce, now in the witness protection
program, seeks revenge on the man who put him there - Frank.
2/ 7/90 (59) Romp - Vinnie and Mooch try to help their
soon-to-be-married friend face money troubles with a loan shark.

LYNCHBORO/SEATTLE ARC
2/14/90 (60) One Horse Town - Vinnie goes undercover as a
deputy sherriff in Lynchboro WA, a vice-ridden town controlled
by recluse Mark Volchek.
3/ 7/90 (61) His Master's Voice - A serial killer's trail
leads to Lynchboro, and Volchek assigns the case to Vinnie.
3/14/90 (62) Hello Buckwheat - Roger Loccoco returns to take
over after Vinnie goes AWOL after witnessing Stem's suicide.
3/21/90 (63) Let Them Eat Cake - Frank has a plan to put the
clamps on Volchek, but Roger has his own ideas. Meanwhile, a
stressed-out Vinnie picks up work in Seattle dumping hospital
waste.
3/28/90 (64) Meltdown - Frank and Roger finish up in
Lynchboro, while, in Seattle, Kousakis puts out a contract on
Vinnie.
4/11/90 (65) Sancturary - With Frank and the Seattle mob
after him, Vinnie nearlly goes over the edge, and seeks
sanctuary in a local church, but is drawn out when Kousakis
shoots Frank.
4/18/90 (66) Brrump-Bump! - With Frank near death, Vinnie
seeks to heal his own wounded spirit, while Kousakis plots his
next move on the roof of the church.

SEASON 4
GUZMAN ARC
11/10/90 (67) Fruit of the Poisonous Tree - Part I - Frank
begins a rogue investigation of Vinnie's disappearance and
winds up in Miami to find disbarred federal prosecutor Michael
Santana, who was the last person Vinnie contacted.
11/10/90 (67) Fruit of the Poisonous Tree - Part II - The
investigation leads to Cuban-American business- man Amado
Guzman.
11/17/90 (69) Black Gold - Guzman promotes Santana, who works
with Hillary to rent a warehouse for Guzman's goods, and Frank
and Santana drift into a new case when they find Haitian "boat
people" in the warehouse.
11/24/90 (70) The Gift - Santana goes undercover as an OCB
operative to deal with a pair of brothers from the underworld
who want a load of Guzman's gold.
12/ 1/90 (71) La Mina - Guzman lets Santana in on his money
laundering scheme, giving the OCB an opportunity to clean out
his operation.
12/ 8/90 (72) Witness Protection for the Archangel Lucifer -
Hiding in El Salvador, Guzman asks Santana to bring him some
cash, and Frank and Santana come up with a plan to bring him
down.

[there are supposedly 3 "missing" episodes that ran on ABC
after #72]

RUN HISTORY ON CBS:
Sep 87-Nov 87 Thu 9:00pm-10:00pm EST
Jan 88-Mar 88 Mon 10:00pm-11:00pm
Jun 88-Apr 90 Wed 10:00pm-11:00pm
Apr 90-Jun 90 Mon-Fri 11:30pm-12:40pm (CBS Late Night)
Jun 90-Jul 90 Thu 9:00pm-10:00pm
Sep 90 Mon-Fri 11:30pm-12:40pm (CBS Late Night)
Oct 90-Nov 90 Mon-Fri 12:00pm-01:10am (CBS Late Night)
Nov 90-Dec 90 Sat 10:00pm-11:00pm
Mar 91 Mon-Fri 12:00pm-01:10am (CBS Late Night)

--[end of Wiseguy FAQ v1.9]--

theco...@aol.com

--Editor of the AOR/Hard Rock Net Zine SFK---
to subscribe, just drop me a line

Amy Tsai

Feb 6, 1995, 2:04:23 AM2/6/95
wow thanks for that faq. very cool.
if anyone answers that videotape/reruns question I'd love to hear the answer.

:)
Amy