Wings original choices for actors

robwa...@webtv.net

May 3, 2001, 9:30:07 PM5/3/01
Does anyone here know the other actors that were up for each key role in
Wings when it first started? I thought it would be interesting to try
and picture who might have been in their places. I know for instance
Fred Dryer (Hunter) and the blonde maid from Newhart (can't remember
her name) were beat out for the roles of Sam and Diane in Cheers.

DVeal70704

May 3, 2001, 11:44:36 PM5/3/01
>Does anyone here know the other actors that were up for each key role in
>Wings when it first started?

Peri Gilpin was originally set to play the role of Hellen Chappel.

LHAZ 61746

May 4, 2001, 12:47:58 AM5/4/01
>Peri Gilpin was originally set to play the role of Hellen Chappel.

I know this is not about Wings but Lisa Kudrow had the part of Roz on Frasier
but after the first day of filming they gave the part to Peri Gilpin.
Lynne H

Antine

May 4, 2001, 9:29:35 PM5/4/01
>Does anyone here know the other actors that were up for each key role in
>Wings when it first started? I thought it would be interesting to try
>and picture who might have been in their places.

I heard the Hackett brothers might have been portrayed by Cassidy
brothers...David and Shaun. Frankly, I think Daly and Weber resemble each
other more than those two half brothers, though they probably don't sing as
good!

All in all, I didn't take it seriously until, not long ago, I came upon a
reference to a prior series Dave Hackel worked on..."Shirley," starring
Shirley Jones. That made the casting of Cassidys sound more like it was a
possibility!

Andy

JWC

May 4, 2001, 9:49:38 PM5/4/01
I know this has been mentioned before, but THC originally auditioned for the
role of Brian. Can't imagine what the show would have been like if they'd
gone with that ...

JWC

Ange Fa'toh

May 4, 2001, 10:22:31 PM5/4/01

JWC wrote:

> I know this has been mentioned before, but THC originally auditioned for the
> role of Brian. Can't imagine what the show would have been like if they'd
> gone with that ...

It just woulden't be the same. Steven Weber would have ended up in "George of
the Jungle" as Lyle Van de Groot and in "Ned and Stacey" as Ned Dorsey and so
on... Thomas would have ended up in that Showtime Channel movie (Sorry if I
forgot the title) and other things that SW was supposed to do. That would have
altered the future. What would be weird is if we could go back in time and
change it all *Stares off into the star-lit sky*

Ange Fa'toh
Time Travel fan
Needs to learn more about Steven Weber...

Thomas

May 5, 2001, 12:30:05 AM5/5/01

>I know this has been mentioned before, but THC originally auditioned for the
>role of Brian. Can't imagine what the show would have been like if they'd
>gone with that ...

yep, they liked his style so much, the role of Lowell was created just for him.

Also, as was mentioned earlier, Peri Gilpin was going to play Helen Chappel,
but they got Crystal Bernard to play her . The role of Helen was written
slightly different for Gilpin though. Originally, Helen was going to be Greek
and her last name was Troyankis instead of Chappel. When CB got the role, they
made Helen be from Texas and changed her last name to Chappel, and the rest is
history.

Originally, Antonio was only supposed to be in the Valentine episode where he
played the waiter at Pontrelli's. They liked him so much, they had his
character come back the next season, with a new job, a taxi driver.

Tony Shaloub is actually Lebanese, but he played an Italian as well, in the
film Big Night.

Tom R.

"Chrstianity's greatest strength is Christ. It's greatest weakness is
Christians"--Ghandi

Dream82298

May 5, 2001, 7:19:05 PM5/5/01
>Needs to learn more about Steven Weber...

Ange,
Yes you do! You're the THC fan right? I think that's cool :). I am a big SW
fan and let me just say that the man is a very talented actor and hopefully won
some of his roles based on his talent, not his character on Wings (the person
who cast him as Jack Torrance in The Shining had never seen Wings!). I did
have a website about him which seems to be down at the moment but should be
back up soon (according to my host!) so check it out if you get a chance:
www.stevenweber.net. =)

Mary Mary

PS: Just so we're clear on this volatile list, I dont' mean anything negative
with this post :) The what-ifs continue....

ButterCupMeadows

May 5, 2001, 8:05:45 PM5/5/01
Hey Mary Mary, I think Ive seen your web sight about Steven Weber. I remember
reading that the 2 of you connected somehow and he thanked you and went on to
tell you how flatered he was by your attention. That was back in October when I
saw it, if it was your's. However I do wonder if indeed Stephen King did see
Steven from WINGS. A couple of years after THE SHINING aired, STORM OF THE
CENTURY aired starring Tim Daly. Buttercup

LHAZ 61746

May 5, 2001, 8:30:24 PM5/5/01
>yep, they liked his style so much, the role of Lowell was created just for
>him.

Tom, the name Lowell Mather had some sort of significance .......to the writers
or to someone involved with the show. Do you remember what it was? Or anyone?
Lynne H

Thomas

May 5, 2001, 8:59:56 PM5/5/01

>Tom, the name Lowell Mather had some sort of significance .......to the
>writers
>or to someone involved with the show. Do you remember what it was? Or anyone?
>Lynne H

Lowell Mather, I believe, was the name of a prominant protestant minister,
whose family settled in Mass. The Mathers were Quakers I think. I'll have to
double check on that.

Ange Fa'toh

May 5, 2001, 9:26:12 PM5/5/01

Dream82298 wrote:

From what I've learned, the majority of the ladies like Tim and Steven. I'm an
oddball and went straight for THC. I guess I'm just different. Well, everyone
is...

Ange Fa'toh
Did someone say sussudio?

LHAZ 61746

May 6, 2001, 12:13:08 AM5/6/01

> the majority of the ladies like Tim and Steven. I'm an
>oddball and went straight for THC. I guess I'm just different.

I like the Tim man but hey, I think THC certainly has a certain sex appeal as
well!
Lynne H

Ange Fa'toh

May 6, 2001, 12:23:56 PM5/6/01

It's not really related, but I ended up having a friend with the name Mathers
(with an s), so the last name is kinda important to me, not just because of THC,
but because of my friend.

Ange Fa'toh

Ange Fa'toh

May 6, 2001, 12:29:44 PM5/6/01

LHAZ 61746 wrote:

> I like the Tim man but hey, I think THC certainly has a certain sex appeal as
> well!
> Lynne H

Oh yeh! You can't forget that. THC _IS_ really, really attractive. Have you ever
seen these pictures? They're probibly the most attractive pictures of THC I know
of and I have several pictures. These are the best!

http://www.geocities.com/THC3_31_60/Thomas1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/THC3_31_60/thomasblue.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/THC3_31_60/SexyBW.gif

Ange Fa'toh

Todd Mitchell

May 6, 2001, 2:35:34 PM5/6/01

Don't forget about *Jerry* Mathers.

Todd

"More music, Les Nessman." - Gordon Sims

Ange Fa'toh

May 6, 2001, 5:05:03 PM5/6/01

Todd Mitchell wrote:

> Don't forget about *Jerry* Mathers.
>
> Todd
>
> "More music, Les Nessman." - Gordon Sims

The Beaver, right? My classic TV memory is kinda fuzzy at the moment.

Ange Fa'toh

Thomas

May 6, 2001, 7:36:24 PM5/6/01

>Don't forget about *Jerry* Mathers.
>
>Todd

Lowell's name is Mather though, not MatherS

Aspringbuttercup

May 6, 2001, 7:42:32 PM5/6/01
<< The Beaver, right? My classic TV >>

I love the Beaver!

Aspringbuttercup

May 6, 2001, 7:50:05 PM5/6/01
I love everybody today!!! I went fishing with my CANCER FREE DAD today!
Buttercup

<< I love the Beaver! >>

Todd Mitchell

May 7, 2001, 6:21:05 PM5/7/01
docfr...@aol.com (Thomas) writes:

>>Don't forget about *Jerry* Mathers.
>>
>>Todd
>>

>Lowell's name is Mather though, not MatherS

Ange's friend was named Mather(s) which is why I brought it up. You must still
have her *plonked*.

Ange Fa'toh

May 7, 2001, 6:36:18 PM5/7/01

Todd Mitchell wrote:

> Ange's friend was named Mather(s) which is why I brought it up. You must still
> have her *plonked*.

*Plonk*? (Giggle!) It's like a Comic Book sound effect. *Mint!* *Newt!* *Bort!*
*Snuh!*. Humm... A "Wings" comic book. I could do that, I'm quite the cartoonist!
I could put it on my site! MUAHAHAHA! *CB Villian Laugh*.

Ange Fa'toh

Thomas Haden Church would make for an attractive cartoon character. *Drool*

RayKowlski

May 7, 2001, 7:07:11 PM5/7/01
Isn't there a Roz Doyle in the Wings' credits? I think she might have been a
producer on the show, or something similar. Is it just a coincidence that there
is a character named Roz Doyle on Frasier?

"'What's the catch? I say. Oh, your partner is Canadian. Canadian? I got
nothing against Canadians. Except for the time they won the World Series."
"Two times."
"Which I'm willing to overlook."
"Thank you."

Fraser and Kowalski

LHAZ 61746

May 7, 2001, 9:08:57 PM5/7/01
>Isn't there a Roz Doyle in the Wings' credits? I think she might have been a
>producer on the show, or something similar. Is it just a coincidence that
>there
>is a character named Roz Doyle on Frasier?

Now, I don't know the exact story but I'm sure someone can help me out. But I
believe Roz Doyle was a producer or something and she helped get Peri Gilpin
(sp?) a small guest spot on Wings and the two became friends. When Peri got the
part on Frasier, she asked to have her character named Roz Doyle after the Roz
from Wings. And I believe that the real Roz Doyle has since passed away. Is
that close?
Lynne H

JWC

May 7, 2001, 10:01:43 PM5/7/01
Oooh - a Dusie!!! I, too, am a huge fan of one of the most underrated programs
ever to hit TV.

Thomas

May 7, 2001, 11:30:11 PM5/7/01

>Now, I don't know the exact story but I'm sure someone can help me out. But I
>believe Roz Doyle was a producer or something and she helped get Peri Gilpin
>(sp?) a small guest spot on Wings and the two became friends. When Peri got
>the
>part on Frasier, she asked to have her character named Roz Doyle after the
>Roz
>from Wings. And I believe that the real Roz Doyle has since passed away. Is
>that close?
>Lynne H

Lynne, pretty close! As a tribute to Roz Doyle, (who passed away from cancer)
Gilpin asked that Frasier's call screener and producer be named after the woman
who helped get her the small part on Wings which helped her land the role of
Roz! :)

RayKowlski

May 8, 2001, 12:28:26 AM5/8/01
>Oooh - a Dusie!!! I, too, am a huge fan of one of the most underrated
>programs
>ever to hit TV.

It definitely is. They pulled it off TNT though, I miss seeing it. I'm not sure
why it isn't more popular, it's one of my favorites.

Thanks for the info about Roz Doyle, I thought there must have been a
connection. That's a nice tribute.

Paula V327

May 8, 2001, 12:08:12 PM5/8/01
I suspect Lowell's last name was inspired by the Puritan theologian Cotton
Mather, who was the minister of Boston's Old North Church and one of the most
famous American clerics of the late 17th century. You can read about him at
http://www.puritansermons.com/bio/biomathe.htm.

-- Paula