Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Pat Mc

ungelesen,
14.04.2000, 03:00:0014.04.00
an
Am I the only one who thinks this? On the last episode, she had most of her
chest bared, and she is so thin that you can actually see her ribs poking
out right below her collarbones. I know someone with anorexia and I
immediately started to wonder about Debra.

Pat

Andrea Logue

ungelesen,
14.04.2000, 03:00:0014.04.00
an
I wouldn't leap to conclusions here. She is definitely a thin person but
some people are naturally very thin and do not have eating disorders.

A.

Pat Mc <sylda...@spamyahoo.com> wrote:
: Am I the only one who thinks this? On the last episode, she had most of her

Matthew J. Wagner

ungelesen,
14.04.2000, 03:00:0014.04.00
an
On 4/14/00 6:47 PM, overcome with emotion, Andrea Logue
[acl...@runner.ucdavis.edu] wrote:

> I wouldn't leap to conclusions here. She is definitely a thin person but
> some people are naturally very thin and do not have eating disorders.
>
> A.

Agreed. Let's not let this spiral into some horrible anorexia/non-anorexia
argument. There's been enough of those at the Ally McBeal newsgroup (see
some old posts at alt.tv.ally-mcbeal for specific examples).

--
Matthew J. Wagner
kinga...@mindspring.com

"Lisa, stop being so suspicious. Did everyone wash their necks like Mr.
Burns asked?"

Kevin M

ungelesen,
15.04.2000, 03:00:0015.04.00
an
Andrea Logue wrote:
> some people are naturally very thin and do not have eating disorders.

As one of those people myself I of course agree. I think it's in a person's
genes. Some people are naturally fat, some are naturally thin, and the lucky
ones fall inbetween.

But please don't bring up Ally McBeal... regardless of her weight she's a
horrible actress and her whole show seems like a cheesy rip-off of "Melrose
Place".

Whitney

ungelesen,
15.04.2000, 03:00:0015.04.00
an
But please don't bring up Ally McBeal... regardless of her weight she's a
horrible actress and her whole show seems like a cheesy rip-off of "Melrose
Place".
----

Uhh.. okay, maybe I'm a tad biased, but the show is anything but a horrible
rip-off of Melrose Place. And no matter how much you may hate her, Calista
Flockhart is most certainly talented and a wonderful actress.

Paul Hyett

ungelesen,
15.04.2000, 03:00:0015.04.00
an
On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Matthew J. Wagner <kinga...@mindspring.com>
stated this considered view. Waking from my doze, I hastily scrawled -

>On 4/14/00 6:47 PM, overcome with emotion, Andrea Logue
>[acl...@runner.ucdavis.edu] wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't leap to conclusions here. She is definitely a thin person but
>> some people are naturally very thin and do not have eating disorders.
>>
>> A.
>
>Agreed. Let's not let this spiral into some horrible anorexia/non-anorexia
>argument. There's been enough of those at the Ally McBeal newsgroup.

And on almost every US-sitcom group I've ever visited (OK, perhaps not
Roseanne!) :)

However, she is far less thin than some.
--
Paul 'US Sitcom Fan' Hyett - The Wild Frame Grabber of the Net!

Website at http://www.activist.demon.co.uk/USsitcoms/

butt...@powerpuff.com

ungelesen,
15.04.2000, 03:00:0015.04.00
an
> On 4/14/00 6:47 PM, overcome with emotion, Andrea Logue [acl...@runner.ucdavis.edu] wrote:
>
> > I wouldn't leap to conclusions here. She is definitely a thin person but
> > some people are naturally very thin and do not have eating disorders.

I don't think she looks too thin as Grace, although she is slender. I
thought she looked noticably heavier when she was on "Ned and Stacey",
but still looked good.

Pat Mc

ungelesen,
15.04.2000, 03:00:0015.04.00
an
I respect your right to like whomever you please, but I haven't been able to
sit through an entire Ally McBeal yet, so I don't have an opinion of Calista
Flockhart one way or the other. I didn't mean that I thought Debra Messing
is anorexic---my thinking is more along the line of "are the producers
forcing the women to be too thin and then calling this "starved look"
attractive?" I have a son who is 6'2" and weighs 150 #, so I know thin when
I see thin. Even so, she makes him look almost chubby. Her arms are like
little sticks and she has no chest at all. I see her and I want to take her
out for a good meal.....

Pat

Whitney>

goudagirl

ungelesen,
15.04.2000, 03:00:0015.04.00
an
Don't get me started....remember, it IS Hollyweird, you know....land of
thinner-is-better...thank God for Camryn Manheim....

K.

"Matthew J. Wagner" <kinga...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> On 4/14/00 6:47 PM, overcome with emotion, Andrea Logue
> [acl...@runner.ucdavis.edu] wrote:
>
> > I wouldn't leap to conclusions here. She is definitely a thin person
but
> > some people are naturally very thin and do not have eating disorders.
> >

> > A.
>
> Agreed. Let's not let this spiral into some horrible
anorexia/non-anorexia

Chris Lampton

ungelesen,
19.04.2000, 03:00:0019.04.00
an
On Sat, 15 Apr 2000 17:48:09 -0500, "Pat Mc"
<sylda...@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>I respect your right to like whomever you please, but I haven't been able to
>sit through an entire Ally McBeal yet, so I don't have an opinion of Calista
>Flockhart one way or the other. I didn't mean that I thought Debra Messing
>is anorexic---my thinking is more along the line of "are the producers
>forcing the women to be too thin and then calling this "starved look"
>attractive?" I have a son who is 6'2" and weighs 150 #, so I know thin when
>I see thin. Even so, she makes him look almost chubby. Her arms are like
>little sticks and she has no chest at all. I see her and I want to take her
>out for a good meal.....

I don't know if the producers are behind it, but TV actresses do seem
to believe that you can't be too thin or too rich. (I believe that
phrase was first used by Babe Paley, wife of the founder of CBS, the
network that invented great sitcoms then forgot how to make them.) My
girlfriend, AKA the woman I live with, complains frequently about the
skinniness of sitcom actresses, especially Courtney Cox and Jennifer
Aniston, both of whom are skinnier now than when Friends debuted six
years ago. And Lara Flynn Boyle on The Practice is starting to look
kinda freaky (though I'm still in love with her from her days on Twin
Peaks). Debra Messing doesn't strike me as all that skinny, but I'll
ask my girlfriend. She seems to be more attuned to that sort of thing.
Come to think of it, she's always complaining that Eric McCormack is
too skinny. :)

Some of us like women with a little flesh. Lucy Lawless has a
permanent place in my heart.

--Chris

Mackenzie

ungelesen,
19.04.2000, 03:00:0019.04.00
an
She IS too thin, but that's part of her job as an actress, I'm sure.

I agree with your thanking God for Camryn Manheim! Wonderful, talented,
original, intelligent, beautiful, NORMAL-sized women DO exist!!!

"goudagirl" <guda...@swbell.com> wrote in message

Terry C.

ungelesen,
20.04.2000, 03:00:0020.04.00
an

Mackenzie <ma...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

> She IS too thin, but that's part of her job as an actress, I'm sure.
>
> I agree with your thanking God for Camryn Manheim! Wonderful, talented,
> original, intelligent, beautiful, NORMAL-sized women DO exist!!!

Oh puh-lease! I agree with you that the trend towards pushing actresses to
become so thin that they disappear if they turn sideways is growing in
Hollywood, but to call Camrym Manheim a 'normal-sized woman' is not only
absurd, but also a great disservice to the educators and medical experts
warning against the life-threatening affects of obesity on one's health. And
before anyone gets on their soap-boxes to decry this post, keep in mind that
this woman's one-woman-show (and I am not disputing that she is wonderful,
talented, original, intelligent or beautiful!!!) was called, - or was it a
book(?) - was not called 'wake up, I am normal', it was titled, 'wake up, I
am fat!". Accept it: all the power to you! Embrace it: that's your choice.
Call it 'normal' and that's perpetuating a fallacy that is not only
unhealthy, but also the worse message you can send to anyone who is not
currently comfortable in their own skin. Normal introduces the notion of
ab-normal, and since so many factors play into one's weight, and its
management, placing such 'label' as normal to ANY body type can only be one
great diservice.

Terry.

Pat Mc

ungelesen,
20.04.2000, 03:00:0020.04.00
an
You said "that is part of her job as an actress" and that jolted me. Why?
Why must it be part of someone's job to be unhealthy? I don't see the male
actors being that ungodly thin. I do agree that Camryn Manheim is a Plus
size, but there aren't many of her out there and there ARE a lot of waifs
and beanpole thin women with leading roles. It reminds me of ballet, where
Ballanchine wanted "his" females to look like adolescent males and so
stamped that particular look as de rigeur.Why is it that the powers that be
want the females to look anorexic? Is it a control fear? I ask this because
last night there was another skit making fun of Janet Reno's appearance.
So, she's not beautiful---but do you see SNL or Leno doing skits making fun
of men in power who are not attractive?

Pat

Mackenzie > She IS too thin, but that's part of her job as an actress, I'm

Allosterical

ungelesen,
23.04.2000, 03:00:0023.04.00
an
>... that you >can't be too thin or too rich. (I believe that

>phrase was first used by Babe Paley, wife of the founder of CBS,

This quote has been attributed to The Duchess of Windsor, Wallis Simpson, for
whom a King of England gave up his throne. I did read, however, that she was
actually a man and this was the reason for her curve-free figure. I'm not sure
if I believe it, though.

True Guy

ungelesen,
23.04.2000, 03:00:0023.04.00
an
says you?

We are all UniQue, Just like everyone else!
```-````-````-````-````-````-````-````-````-````-````-````-````-````-
Terry C. <asu...@idirect.com> wrote in message

> Mackenzie <ma...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

> > She IS too thin, but that's part of her job as an actress, I'm sure.
> >
> > I agree with your thanking God for Camryn Manheim! Wonderful, talented,
> > original, intelligent, beautiful, NORMAL-sized women DO exist!!!

Whitney

ungelesen,
24.04.2000, 03:00:0024.04.00
an
NORMAL-sized women
----

Okay, so just because I have next to no figure with no hips, no chest, a BMI of
about 13.5-14 and a lanky body- I'm not NORMAL? What the hell? Believe it or
not, there are actual size 0s, 2s and 4s that DO EXIST in the real world.

I don't know how someone 'overweight' is more normal than someone
'underweight'... but maybe thats just me.

Sheula Ralom'pa

ungelesen,
24.04.2000, 03:00:0024.04.00
an

Whitney <whi...@aol.com> wrote in message

[Raises hand slightly]
Yeah, that's me. I have a slightly overactive Thyroid - it's almost impossible for me
to gain weight. Rude people come up to me and tell me to eat more. I eat more than
most people I know - so It's not wise to always judge skinny people. For the record,
I'm completely healthy.
So lets cut Debra some slack here. If she does have a problem, it is her business.

Camryn Manheim is cool though. :)

Olga

--
"You can take your heart out, and you can put it back in
I think we've found the way how to put the fun back in Sin"

Tim

ungelesen,
24.04.2000, 03:00:0024.04.00
an
It's hard to believe she could have been a man and married three times and none of them noticed! :)

Tim

Allosterical <allost...@cs.comnojunk> wrote in message news:20000423111445...@ng-cm1.news.cs.com...

Terry C.

ungelesen,
25.04.2000, 03:00:0025.04.00
an
True guy, this seems to be a reply to my post about the labeling of any
figure and size as "normal". You says "says you?" and I am not quite sure
what you mean. I am totally open to have my point of view disputed, and
would welcome and appreciate your counterpoint on this matter.

Terry.

True Guy <n...@spiritone.com> wrote in message

bug3R...@pacbell.net

ungelesen,
25.04.2000, 03:00:0025.04.00
an
On 24 Apr 2000 01:50:58 GMT, whi...@aol.com (Whitney) wrote:

>NORMAL-sized women

>Okay, so just because I have next to no figure with no hips, no chest, a BMI of
>about 13.5-14 and a lanky body- I'm not NORMAL? What the hell? Believe it or
>not, there are actual size 0s, 2s and 4s that DO EXIST in the real world.

Oh yes. And some of us LOVE that size! Keep your Camryn Mannheim,
give me Ms. Messing as an object of desire....
Now, I'm glad that Ms. Manneheim is a star - she's a fine actress.
Ditto Kathy Bates. But attractive? No... sorry.

Debbie

ungelesen,
25.04.2000, 03:00:0025.04.00
an
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 02:13:38 GMT, "Sheula Ralom'pa"
<magg27wei...@att.net> wrote:

>Whitney <whi...@aol.com> wrote in message
>> NORMAL-sized women
>> ----
>>

>> Okay, so just because I have next to no figure with no hips, no chest, a BMI of
>> about 13.5-14 and a lanky body- I'm not NORMAL? What the hell? Believe it or
>> not, there are actual size 0s, 2s and 4s that DO EXIST in the real world.
>>

>> I don't know how someone 'overweight' is more normal than someone
>> 'underweight'... but maybe thats just me.
>[Raises hand slightly]
>Yeah, that's me. I have a slightly overactive Thyroid - it's almost impossible for me
>to gain weight. Rude people come up to me and tell me to eat more. I eat more than
>most people I know - so It's not wise to always judge skinny people. For the record,
>I'm completely healthy.
>So lets cut Debra some slack here. If she does have a problem, it is her business.
>
>Camryn Manheim is cool though. :)
>

>Olga

Speaking for one who is more on the Camryn Manheim side of things, I
don't find Debra "too thin". From her appearance, she is right for
her body type. She doesn't give off the "I'm starving to look this
way" vibe like I get from the Laura Flynn Boyle, Jennifer Anniston,
Courtney Cox, Callista Flockhart's of the world.

you will get what I mean.

Pat Mc

ungelesen,
25.04.2000, 03:00:0025.04.00
an
I, too, was a bit confused by what "Trueguy" said. If he meant "is this
Terry C's opinion?", then of course it was---unless Terry C. was using
someone else's opinion (and why would anybody do that?). On the other hand,
if "Trueguy" thinks that was a witty repartee, then he's got other problems.
In either case, nobody knows what he meant.

Pat

Allosterical

ungelesen,
27.04.2000, 03:00:0027.04.00
an
>It's hard to believe she could have been a man and married three times and
>none of them noticed! :)

Well, yeah, but sometimes an XY male can lack testosterone receptors and appear
female, but that's another story :-)

Andrea Logue

ungelesen,
27.04.2000, 03:00:0027.04.00
an
Pat Mc <sylda...@spamyahoo.com> wrote:
: I, too, was a bit confused by what "Trueguy" said. If he meant "is this

Says you!

Andrea (kidding <g>)

True Guy

ungelesen,
27.04.2000, 03:00:0027.04.00
an
Sorry for the confusion!
ALL I meant was Unless we are medically capable of stating that someone is
TOO thin OR if we can quantify it (too thin - to be attractive to me or to
wear that outfit, etc) then I don't see where anyone has the right to go
around saying they are "too" thin. You can say she's thin & that's your
opinion.... but TOO thin for what?? for you?
It just seems fairly common for people just too start calling out she's too
thin over here & she's too thin over there & WE only see them on TV & we've
never met them & WE don't know.
Just MY opinion :)

We are all UniQue, Just like everyone else!
```-````-````-````-````-````-````-````-````-````-````-````-````-````-

Andrea Logue <acl...@sandman.ucdavis.edu> wrote in message

Tim

ungelesen,
02.05.2000, 03:00:0002.05.00
an
Was it me or did Eric look like he's missed a meal or two in tonight's new episode? When he was wearing that red shirt, he looked
like his shadow outweighted him!

Tim

Terry C.

ungelesen,
03.05.2000, 03:00:0003.05.00
an

Tim <ench...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
Umm. No. I think that Eric looked quite, how do you say(?) yum, yum, gimme
some(!) in tonight's episode. Here's to him going clubbing more often.

Terry.

LAGUY

ungelesen,
03.05.2000, 03:00:0003.05.00
an
Amen Brother!

Terry C. <asu...@idirect.com> wrote in message

True Guy

ungelesen,
03.05.2000, 03:00:0003.05.00
an
I gotta second that!
I'll take either one of them in a SECOND!

We are all UniQue, Just like everyone else!

LAGUY <shandwe...@sprynet.com> wrote in message

0 neue Nachrichten