Politics=Cancellation?

Ann Hodgins

Feb 22, 1991, 11:00:50 AM2/22/91
The Gulf war has reached a turning point. The US seems determined
to achieve a win over Iraq even at the cost of lives.
The US wants its people 100% behind them in a ground war. The do not
want the peace movement to gain any momentum at this time.

Twin Peaks is now featuring a showdown between good and evil involving
the military (Major Briggs) and mirrored in a war game, chess, which is
a game that reflects military and political tactics.

Sooner or later people will draw parallels between the tv show that
prompts so much discussion and the events in the gulf.

The moral hero of Twin Peaks, agent Cooper, is seeking a stalemate in his
conflict on the chess board and in real life. Cooper does not want to kill
or utterly defeat his opponent. Instead, Cooper wants to stop his opponent with
a minimum of blood shed. Cooper isn't going for a win. He just wants the
war game to stop.

Is it possible that the abrupt elimination of this show, featuring this
particular moral philosophy at this particular time could be political?
Could the american network have received orders to pull the show until the
Gulf war is over?

Tom Streeter

Feb 22, 1991, 9:28:52 PM2/22/91
In article <1991Feb22.1...@watserv1.waterloo.edu> alte...@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Ann Hodgins) writes:

>The moral hero of Twin Peaks, agent Cooper, is seeking a stalemate in his
>conflict on the chess board and in real life. Cooper does not want to kill
>or utterly defeat his opponent. Instead, Cooper wants to stop his opponent with
>a minimum of blood shed. Cooper isn't going for a win. He just wants the
>war game to stop.
>
>Is it possible that the abrupt elimination of this show, featuring this
>particular moral philosophy at this particular time could be political?
>Could the american network have received orders to pull the show until the
>Gulf war is over?

ummmmmmmm.............I love a good conspiracy as much as the next person, but
this is a bit too much. If anyone was trying to get a message across, they'd
put it on a show that people actually watched. I suppose it's comforting
to believe that there is enough order in the world that someone could actually
"order" a network to pull a show (something affiliates weren't able to do in thecase of "Cop Rock"), but I feel fairly safe in thinking that any similarities
between "Twin Peaks" (a show I like very much) and real life is accidental.
And not very much appreciated at that........

Tom Streeter
stre...@athena.cs.uga.edu

Richard Hancock

Feb 25, 1991, 8:07:05 AM2/25/91
/ hpopd:alt.tv.twin-peaks / alte...@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Ann Hodgins) / 4:00 pm Feb 22, 1991 /

> Is it possible that the abrupt elimination of this show, featuring this
> particular moral philosophy at this particular time could be political?
> Could the american network have received orders to pull the show until the
> Gulf war is over?

UK TV and radio stations have certainly taken shows/songs off the air because
they were considered to be war-related. I think C4 delayed airing a series
on Vietnam because of the Gulf war.

Richard.
"The Republican Guard's behind you."

Jim Stafford

Feb 25, 1991, 10:33:38 PM2/25/91

>Twin Peaks is now featuring a showdown between good and evil involving
>the military (Major Briggs) and mirrored in a war game, chess, which is
>a game that reflects military and political tactics.
>
>Sooner or later people will draw parallels between the tv show that
>prompts so much discussion and the events in the gulf.
>

> (Edited here)

>Is it possible that the abrupt elimination of this show, featuring this
>particular moral philosophy at this particular time could be political?
>Could the american network have received orders to pull the show until the
>Gulf war is over?

"I am gross and perverted
I'm obssessed and deranged
I have existed for years,
but very little has changed.
I am the tool of the Government
And industry too
For I am destined to rule
and regulate you

I may be vile and pernicious
But you can't look away
I make you think I'm delicious
With all the stuff that I say
I am the best youu can get
Have you guessed me yet?
I'm the slime oozin out
From your TV set

You will obey me while I lead you
And eat the garbage that I feed you
Until the day that we don't need you
Don't go for help!..no one will heed you
Your mind is totally controlled
It has been stuffed into my mold
And you will do as you are told
Until the rights to you are sold

THATS RIGHT FOLKS...
DON'T TOUCH THAT DIAL!!

"I'm the Slime" Frank Zappa

Actually, I think the real victim of any government abuse is probably China
Beach...I doubt if your typical USDA choice couch potato is capable of under-
standing any symbolism more profound than a raised toilet lid. However,
they might have been able to see that a war time field hospital (blood,
body bags, etc.) doesn't look much like the "Nintendo War" they want us
to see on CNN.

jimbo