Last Episode

Susan Murphy

Mar 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/24/99
My husband and I just finished watching the series for the first time.
We were totally obsessed with it! And now that it's over, I'm sad. And
confused. What's up with the last episode? Was it meant to be the last
episode? Besides the fact that Agent Cooper is taken by Bob, there
seems to be a lot unresolved. So Doc Hayward kills Ben and that's it?!
And what about Sarah Palmer coming to tell Major Briggs "We're waiting
for you..". He never comes to the Black Lodge. And Joan Chen's name
was in the credits at the beginning, but I didn't see her in the
episode. And what about Leo?! I haven't seen the movie yet, but I do
know that it is a prequel, so I don't believe that any of these things
that are bothering me about the last ep. will be resolved in it.
Forgive me if this has been explained over and over, but I'm new to this
world of Twin Peaks! I just have so many questions!

Thanks in advance,
Susan

MattSkomra

Mar 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/24/99
>Was it meant to be the last
>episode?

No, they intended to make FWWM a prequel and then two other sequel movies.
When FWWM flopped at the box office they never made the sequels.

>So Doc Hayward kills Ben and that's it?!

We don't know that's he's dead for sure, I don't think. Maybe he is.

>And what about Sarah Palmer coming to tell Major Briggs "We're waiting
>for you..".

That was the voice of Windom Earle talking through Sarah. We can assume that
in a sequel Major Briggs would have played a key role in rescuing Dale.

>Joan Chen's name
>was in the credits at the beginning, but I didn't see her in the
>episode.

Well now, that's interesting.

- Matt Skomra

sc5...@my-dejanews.com

Mar 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/24/99
In article <36F8FA1D...@uhs.uga.edu>,

Susan Murphy <su...@uhs.uga.edu> wrote:
> My husband and I just finished watching the series for the first time.
> We were totally obsessed with it! And now that it's over, I'm sad. And
> confused. What's up with the last episode? Was it meant to be the last
> episode? Besides the fact that Agent Cooper is taken by Bob, there
> seems to be a lot unresolved. So Doc Hayward kills Ben and that's it?!

I personally dont think Ben dies in the last episode, but who knows really

> And what about Sarah Palmer coming to tell Major Briggs "We're waiting

> for you..". He never comes to the Black Lodge.

Actually Sarah says (in what is supposed to be Windom Earls voice) "I'm in the
Black Lodge with Dale Cooper") It's the LMFAP that says "We're waiting for
you"

Welcome to Twin Peaks!

damnfine

Mar 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/24/99
> >Was it meant to be the last
> >episode?
>
> No, they intended to make FWWM a prequel and then two other sequel
movies.
> When FWWM flopped at the box office they never made the sequels.

I think what Susan meant was "was the TV show deliberately finished?" and
the short answer to that is NO. It was axed due to poor ratings. Whether or
knot they knew Episode 29 was going to be the last one WHEN they made it is
a subject of continuous debate.

> >So Doc Hayward kills Ben and that's it?!
>

> We don't know that's he's dead for sure, I don't think. Maybe he is.

Unlikely, I think Ben's bump on the head would only have restored him to
his "bad old self"

> >And what about Sarah Palmer coming to tell Major Briggs "We're waiting
> >for you..".
>

> That was the voice of Windom Earle talking through Sarah. We can assume
that
> in a sequel Major Briggs would have played a key role in rescuing Dale.

Yep!

> >Joan Chen's name
> >was in the credits at the beginning, but I didn't see her in the
> >episode.
>
> Well now, that's interesting.

I'd guess that she filmed a part that was cut out due to time restrictions.
Maybe.

--
/^\damnfine/^\
b...@intertech.net.au

Quote of the Moment:

"He dared us to have the courage of HIS convictions"

- Steven Spielberg on Stanley Kubrick

damnfine

Mar 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/24/99
> My husband and I just finished watching the series for the first time.
> We were totally obsessed with it! And now that it's over, I'm sad. And
> confused. What's up with the last episode?

I sympathise completely, watching the final episode for the first time is a
devastating experience!

> Was it meant to be the last episode?

By the time it was shown on TV, everyone knew that it would be the last,
but at the time of MAKING the episode, who knows? I've always interpreted
it as an end-of-season cliffhanger.

> I haven't seen the movie yet, but I do
> know that it is a prequel, so I don't believe that any of these things
> that are bothering me about the last ep. will be resolved in it.

Believe it or not, a few are! If you watch the movie very carefully, there
are some interesting, and even comforting, clues as to Cooper's fate.

> Forgive me if this has been explained over and over, but I'm new to this
> world of Twin Peaks! I just have so many questions!

Don't worry, talking about the same things over and over is what this
newsgroup is all about!

Adam J. Cook

Mar 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/24/99
sc5...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> In article <36F8FA1D...@uhs.uga.edu>,
> Susan Murphy <su...@uhs.uga.edu> wrote:
> > My husband and I just finished watching the series for the first time.
> > We were totally obsessed with it! And now that it's over, I'm sad. And
> > confused. What's up with the last episode? Was it meant to be the last
> > episode? Besides the fact that Agent Cooper is taken by Bob, there
> > seems to be a lot unresolved. So Doc Hayward kills Ben and that's it?!
>
> I personally dont think Ben dies in the last episode, but who knows really

Ben dies? I don't remember this. I remember his confrontation with Doc
Hayward, but I don't remember getting the impression that Ben died.

Adam

DEREK RICE

Mar 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/25/99

> > >Joan Chen's name
> > >was in the credits at the beginning, but I didn't see her in the
> > >episode.
> >
> > Well now, that's interesting.
> >
> I'd guess that she filmed a part that was cut out due to time restrictions.
> Maybe.

Perhaps it was Lynch's way of saying 'it's happening again', by using the
opening credits from season one. just a thought.
A point to remember though is the Mark Frost had planned the series 2
stories well, and set up the final episode so that it could be carried
over into a season 3. They kept with this plan and wrote the final episode
as they had planned to, as a cliffhanger. At this point they wern't sure
if the series was going to be continued, but even still they wanted to end
it the way they did. When it can to Lynch directing the final episode, he
knew then that it was to be the final as changed parts of the script to
add closure, but also kept many of the shocking cliffhangers. The Cooper
story was to be continued in the 3rd season that never was, as well as
others.
I suggest reading a copy of the original script written by Mark Frost
which adds some light, and after seeing FWWM reading the original script
which also adds a lot of light.
Remember what happened at the end of the first season? Nadine and cooper
didn't die. They set up cliffhangers that were resolved just like these
would have been. The writers liked changing the nature of the characters
through out the series too, so what ever cliffhanger that effects a
certain charater might lead to a new attitude for them.
ie. Bobby, Ben, Nadine, Leo, Catherine, Leland, etc.

Susan Murphy

Mar 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/25/99

I know that it is not explicitly said that Ben is dead, but I concluded
because this was the last episode, and since I didn't know that this was
supposed to be a cliffhanger, that he was dead. I mean, that was a
pretty loud crunch when his head hit that fireplace, don't you think?
Or maybe he doesn't die, and ends up like Leo. And they could hang out
together. If Leo doesn't die from the poisonous spiders eating his face
off, that is... ;-)

~Susan

Alfons

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
damnfine <b...@intertech.net.au> skrev i inlägg
<01be7631$822b3f60$ae96...@PPP.intertech.net.au>...

> > >So Doc Hayward kills Ben and that's it?!
> > We don't know that's he's dead for sure, I don't think. Maybe he is.
> Unlikely, I think Ben's bump on the head would only have restored him to
> his "bad old self"

One "evidence" for the theory that Ben is not really dead is that doc
Hayward is at Cooper's side when he wakes up in the final scene. If Ben was
dead, he (doc H. i e) probably would not be there.

Alfons

Marcelo E Mazzanti

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
In article <36F8FA1D...@uhs.uga.edu>,
Susan Murphy <su...@uhs.uga.edu> wrote:

<What's up with the last episode? Was it meant to
be the last episode?>

The cancelation of the show sure did take them by
surprise, but nobody seems to be sure exactly when
was that, before or after the filming of last ep.
Chances are they suspected something like that
might happen, so that ep could work both as a
season's ending and as the series' ending just in
case. But the ending with Cooper possessed by Bob
(if it was that) was planned long before, and there
were plans for what the following season would be
about (supposedly, the rescue of Cooper from the
Black Lodge, though other ideas have been comented
here also). Anyway, Lynch has been quoted as
commenting both that it wasn't supposed to be the
series' ending, and that he had already done what he
wanted with the series -maybe this isn't as
contradictory as it looks at first...

<Besides the fact that Agent Cooper is taken by Bob>

There's even some discussion about that. Some say
Cooper was trapped in the Lodge, and the one
possessed by Bob was Coop's doppelganger. There are
quotes from Lynch that seem to point in this second
direction. I still like best the first (but that's
of course my problem).

<So Doc Hayward kills Ben and that's it?!>

I'd use the soap opera approach to this. We never
actually knew what happened to him (or Audrey,
or...). And Doc Hayward is with Truman at Coop's room
instead of in jail.

<And what about Sarah Palmer coming to tell Major
Briggs "We're waiting for you..".>

It was supposed to be Windom Earle talking through
her. We can speculate that he intended to master the
Black Lodge, and attract to it and eliminate the two
people who knew about it, Cooper and Briggs.

<I haven't seen the movie yet, but I do know that it
is a prequel, so I don't believe that any of these
things that are bothering me about the last ep. will
be resolved in it.>

The only thing that gets resolved is Laura's fate -
and, in passing, what became of Cooper. However, even
with the film everything is up to speculation. I
won't say more right now to maybe spoil your fun!

<Forgive me if this has been explained over and over,
but I'm new to this world of Twin Peaks! I just have
so many questions!>

Welcome then, Susan! As you may guess, ten years later
everyone's discussing more or less the same things, so
don't worry about it! Bring over all your questions
and also, of course, your interpretations! Bear in
mind that other people may have had more time to
think things over, but almost everything here is
'interpretation' rather than 'explanation,' that's the
fun of it!

Marcelo E Mazzanti
'Everyone's a silver hero,
everyone's a Captain Kirk.'

Reznik

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99

I've always preferred the dopp theory, and then I found this to back it
up...
A quote from Harley Peyton:
"Just for the record, our original intention was to play it as if good
Coop had left the lodge with Bob inside him. Then, at some later date,
reveal that it was, in fact, his doppleganger. Too bad we never got the
chance." - HP

> <And what about Sarah Palmer coming to tell Major
> Briggs "We're waiting for you..".>
>
> It was supposed to be Windom Earle talking through
> her. We can speculate that he intended to master the
> Black Lodge, and attract to it and eliminate the two
> people who knew about it, Cooper and Briggs.

And why Maj Briggs of all people to give this message to?
We know that he is 'gifted', and hell, here's another quote:
Sarah Palmer: "I'm...waiting...for...you."
Sarah Palmer is acting as a medium when this comes from her mouth. I
have a theory that it's Windom speaking through Sarah, daring or
inviting (you be the judge) Major Briggs to come in after Cooper and
save him. I asked Don Davis (Briggs) himself at the festival in '96 if
he was meant to save him and he said "YES!"
According to Davis, had the series continued, the Major would have been
a pivotal character and the strong spirit and insight given to him by
the White Lodge would have made him the only possible choice to release
Cooper from the Black Lodge...

> <I haven't seen the movie yet, but I do know that it
> is a prequel, so I don't believe that any of these
> things that are bothering me about the last ep. will
> be resolved in it.>
>
> The only thing that gets resolved is Laura's fate -
> and, in passing, what became of Cooper. However, even
> with the film everything is up to speculation. I
> won't say more right now to maybe spoil your fun!

Agreed. Although some believe the film to be solely a prequel and
confusing as all hell...
I think it does answer some questions, and give some more insight into
the workings of the Lodges, etc

> <Forgive me if this has been explained over and over,
> but I'm new to this world of Twin Peaks! I just have
> so many questions!>
>
> Welcome then, Susan! As you may guess, ten years later
> everyone's discussing more or less the same things, so
> don't worry about it! Bring over all your questions
> and also, of course, your interpretations! Bear in
> mind that other people may have had more time to
> think things over, but almost everything here is
> 'interpretation' rather than 'explanation,' that's the
> fun of it!

I wholeheartedly second that <<emotion? sorry, bad ref>>

ever so sincerely,
Reznik the Great and Powerful
(pay no attention to that man behind the curtain)

"Only two things are infinite,
the universe and human stupidity,
...and I'm not sure about the former"
-= Albert Einstein =-

"There is a very fine line between genius and insanity.
I have erased this line."
-= Oscar Levant =-

Twin Peaks -- COMPLETE
http://www.iosin.com/twinpeaks