Whatzup With Coburn?

Fay Glenn

Apr 10, 2010, 1:01:36 AM4/10/10
Coburn bashes Fox, praises Pelosi
Greg Halvorson

Perhaps it's the political zeitgeist these days, but statements made by
Tom Coburn (R-OK) at a recent townhall are puzzling.  Coburn, speaking
before constituents, one of whom expressed concern over jail should she
reject ObamaCare, turned into a mouthpiece of fawning progressivism.
Coburn is conservative.  According to his web-site:

Dr. Coburn's priorities in the Senate include reducing wasteful
spending, protecting your liberty, balancing the budget, improving
health care access and affordability, protecting the sanctity of all
human life - including the unborn - and representing traditional
Oklahoma values.
Seems clear.  Not so clear, however, are his defense of Pelosi and his
stab at Fox News.  Said Coburn of the speaker:

"She's a nice lady."  (Boos and hisses)  "Come on, she's nice.
How many of you have met her?  She's a nice person.  Just because
somebody disagrees with you doesn't mean they're not a good person.
What we have to do is make sure we have a debate in this country, so
that you can see what's going on and make a determination for yourself."

He went on to bash Fox, saying, "Don't catch yourself being biased by
Fox News that somebody is no good, the people in Washington are good,
they just don't know what they don't know."

According to the Senator, constituents should balance Fox with CNN,
because it's unhealthy to get the news from one source.  He, himself,
reads two newspapers, the New York Times and the Washington Post,
because listening to both sides puts things in context, and knowing
different views "makes you a better person."

A better person?  If the Times improves character, may I suggest porn
to enhance Bible study.  Coburn sounds like a camp counselor who's
spent too much time at a yoga retreat. To know thy enemy is good, but
recognize one thing: they are the enemy.

To his credit, Coburn did come around.  Quoting Ronald Reagan --
"Freedom is a precious thing, it is never a guarantee, it is not ours by
inheritance alone, it must be fought for and defended by each
generation" -- he gained traction.

But then something moved him to say: "He (Reagan) wasn't talking to our
military, he was talking to you.  And what we're seeing happen in
America is not a reaction to President Obama, it's a culmination that
would've happened anyway, because we can't afford the government we have
today."

No, we can't.  Nor can we (Americans) conclude that millions of
patriots rejecting tyranny would've happened no matter the occupant of
the White House.  Coburn sounds like a "Kumbaya" minstrel in a Soho
sub-station.  Unfortunately, he put the cherry on top, adding: "I am
disturbed when I hear things that are disconnected from facts.  This
comes from somebody (Fox) that has an agenda that is not in the best
interest of our country."

Get that?  According to the Senator, we should obtain "facts" from the
New York Times, and what's happening in America isn't a reaction to
Obama.

But with all due respect, the Times is the one with the agenda, Dr.
Coburn.  You might want to re-read the Reagan quote, then ask whether
you think the Times "defends Freedom."  You may also want to re-visit
the suggestion that Fox doesn't act in the best interests of the
country.

As for the "goodness" of Madame Speaker -- is it good to lie to pass
laws?  Nancy Pelosi is an abortionist, Dr. Coburn, and it's my
understanding that you are pro-life.

Greg Halvorson is the founder of Soldiers Without Boots, and hosts The
Soldier One Radio Hour on Blog Talk Radio.

LEGALIZE THE CONSTITUTION
DON'T BLAME ME---I DIDNT VOTE FOR HIM
BO voted as a senator for everything he's bashing Bush for now