Shan's Exit Interview with Dalton Ross

zeppo

Nov 29, 2021, 6:18:55 PM11/29/21
She's not the most articulate player that Dalton has interviewed, but
she does reveal a personal matter that production chose to keep out
of the edit. IMO, that was a good decision.

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-41-shantel-smith-interview/

Brian Smith

Nov 29, 2021, 7:13:30 PM11/29/21
Damn her answers are long! From what I've read so far she appears to contradict herself. At first she says she wanted to take Ricard to F5 but later she goes on how she wanted to be F2 with him. Which is it? Also, did she give something away with the F2 comment? Did they move back to a F2 finale? If they did, that would be one of the few things they did right.

I'll try and read the rest later. I'm up to where Dalton asks her why she called Deshawn a snake. This is an interview that would come across a lot better on video.

--
Brian

zeppo

Nov 29, 2021, 7:50:20 PM11/29/21
On Monday, November 29, 2021 at 4:13:30 PM UTC-8, Brian Smith wrote:

> > https://ew.com/tv/survivor-41-shantel-smith-interview/
> Damn her answers are long! From what I've read so far she appears to contradict herself. At first she says she wanted to take Ricard to F5 but later she goes on how she wanted to be F2 with him. Which is it?

I'm glad you noticed that. I also thought that she contradicted herself when she said that her game fell apart when she started listening too much
to other players, but later said that she got as far as she did in the game because she was a good listener.

Also, did she give something away with the F2 comment? Did they move back to a F2 finale? If they did, that would be one of the few things they did right.

I would be surprised if it is a F2. In Shan's defence, she was talking about making a pact with Ricard to go to the end together so she had to say F2 because
there was no third person in their plan (yet).

> I'll try and read the rest later. I'm up to where Dalton asks her why she called Deshawn a snake. This is an interview that would come across a lot better on video.

Keep going. There is some interesting stuff at the end.

Brian Smith

Nov 30, 2021, 2:11:19 AM11/30/21
On Monday, November 29, 2021 at 5:50:20 PM UTC-7, zeppo wrote:
> On Monday, November 29, 2021 at 4:13:30 PM UTC-8, Brian Smith wrote:
>

> > > https://ew.com/tv/survivor-41-shantel-smith-interview/
> > Damn her answers are long! From what I've read so far she appears to contradict herself. At first she says she wanted to take Ricard to F5 but later she goes on how she wanted to be F2 with him. Which is it?
> I'm glad you noticed that. I also thought that she contradicted herself when she said that her game fell apart when she started listening too much
> to other players, but later said that she got as far as she did in the game because she was a good listener.

Did you notice the following at the very end of the article?

"This interview has been edited and condensed for length and clarity."

EW needs to hire better editors b/c that was still way too long and not always clear.

Could be but in another exit interview (https://tvline.com/2021/11/29/survivor-season-41-shan-smith-eliminated-interview-episode-10/) she says she wanted Ricard to go at F5 and the black alliance to be F4.

> > I'll try and read the rest later. I'm up to where Dalton asks her why she called Deshawn a snake. This is an interview that would come across a lot better on video.
> >
> Keep going. There is some interesting stuff at the end.

She mentioned being with the medics all day on Twitter but I had no idea she hadn't gone to the bathroom the entire game. They should have mentioned that in the edit. Do you remember the Asian guy (Bruce?) who was removed from the game after eating too much meat? I think his bowel got obstructed. He was in a ton of pain and looked like he would have died if they had not taken action.

It looks like we're not seeing the real Heather on the show.

"And Heather rubbed me, and I would say a number of people, the wrong way when we were just out there on that island. I just got an icky feeling from her. But yeah, so that was my whole thing with Heather was, is I just didn't want to play with her."

What did Heather do during the game that has a number of players being so negative toward her? The edit has been painting her as a quiet older woman who is clueless most of the time. I hope Dalton asks her about her relationships in the game when she gets booted.

--
Brian

zeppo

Nov 30, 2021, 3:41:04 PM11/30/21
On Monday, November 29, 2021 at 11:11:19 PM UTC-8, Brian Smith wrote:

> "This interview has been edited and condensed for length and clarity."
> EW needs to hire better editors b/c that was still way too long and not always clear.

I agree.

> Could be but in another exit interview (https://tvline.com/2021/11/29/survivor-season-41-shan-smith-eliminated-interview-episode-10/) she says she wanted Ricard to go at F5 and the black alliance to be F4.

Yes, I always thought that was her end game plan. Fortunately for Ricard, he figured it out too.
FWIW, in the article that you linked, she refers to FTC as being a F3

> She mentioned being with the medics all day on Twitter but I had no idea she hadn't gone to the bathroom the entire game. They should have mentioned that in the edit.

I'm really glad that this information was not included in the edit. We don't need to know everything about their private lives and bodily functions.

Do you remember the Asian guy (Bruce?) who was removed from the game after eating too much meat? I think his bowel got obstructed. He was in a ton of pain and looked like he would have died if they had not taken action.

There were actually two players who were pulled from the game for similar reasons. Bruce (from the season that Aras won) and an old guy named
Joe who played in "Brains vs. Brawn vs. Beauty".

> What did Heather do during the game that has a number of players being so negative toward her? The edit has been painting her as a quiet older woman who is clueless most of the time. I hope Dalton asks her about her relationships in the game when she gets booted.

Or makes it to F3....Ricard had a good reason for wanting to keep her in the game at F10 IMO.

Rick

Nov 30, 2021, 4:25:48 PM11/30/21
"Brian Smith" wrote in message

>On Monday, November 29, 2021 at 5:50:20 PM UTC-7, zeppo wrote:
>> On Monday, November 29, 2021 at 4:13:30 PM UTC-8, Brian Smith wrote:
>>

>She mentioned being with the medics all day on Twitter but I had no idea
>she hadn't gone to the bathroom the entire game. They should have mentioned
>that in the edit. Do you remember the Asian guy (Bruce?) who was removed
>from the game after eating too much meat? I think his bowel got obstructed.
>He was in a ton of pain and looked like he would have died if they had not
>taken action.

But keep in mind Shan has eaten very little throughout the game so far,
maybe even less than most people on prior seasons, so her condition
obviously hadn't progressed to the same point as Bruce. Several previous
players had reported going several days without using the bathroom
(including Amber B in season two), but unless it results in the player
showing obvious discomfort or being removed from the game, it's probably not
worth including in the edit. I do think Shan using her time with medical
as an excuse for not working harder to stay in the game seems a little
convenient if not disingenuous.

The Horny Goat

Nov 30, 2021, 10:46:09 PM11/30/21
On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 16:25:42 -0500, "Rick" <ri...@nospam.com> wrote:

>But keep in mind Shan has eaten very little throughout the game so far,
>maybe even less than most people on prior seasons, so her condition
>obviously hadn't progressed to the same point as Bruce. Several previous
>players had reported going several days without using the bathroom
>(including Amber B in season two), but unless it results in the player
>showing obvious discomfort or being removed from the game, it's probably not
>worth including in the edit. I do think Shan using her time with medical
>as an excuse for not working harder to stay in the game seems a little
>convenient if not disingenuous.

I assume you mean ABLE 'to use the bathroom' as opposed to actually
doing so. I heard one early season a tribe dug latrines immediately
after they built they hut (about halfway between the hut and beach)
while Richard Hatch says he NEVER used the latrine on either
appearance as he made a point of dropping his shorts while in the
water.

Now Hatch was on the island for 39 (season 1) + 15 (season 8) = 54
days so clearly uh well you know...

Elmo P. Shagnasty

Dec 1, 2021, 5:16:39 PM12/1/21
(cue Shan's evil head music)

"I suck bad, can't play game, I suck bad, can't play game..."