Woke Survivor

Jake

Sep 24, 2021, 5:45:07 PM9/24/21
For me, the political correctness is spoiling the game. Jeff Probst wondering if "come on in guys" was not appropriate and exclusive? Geez. Then the homosexual married to a woman who had his child transitioning to a male (whew) is just icing on the cake. Diversity is good and fine, but when you take it to extremes it becomes the distraction rather than focus on the game play. Seems like Survivor has become woke. I'm not sure I'll last the season.

JD

Emanuel Berg

Sep 24, 2021, 6:31:28 PM9/24/21
Jake wrote:

> For me, the political correctness is spoiling the game.

See reply in other thread where you also posted this ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

The Horny Goat

Sep 24, 2021, 8:36:38 PM9/24/21
On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 14:45:06 -0700 (PDT), Jake <Mpva...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>For me, the political correctness is spoiling the game. Jeff Probst wondering if "come on in guys" was not appropriate and exclusive? Geez. Then the homosexual married to a woman who had his child transitioning to a male (whew) is just icing on the cake. Diversity is good and fine, but when you take it to extremes it becomes the distraction rather than focus on the game play. Seems like Survivor has become woke. I'm not sure I'll last the season.
>
>JD

I feel the same about this season's big brother. No matter what color
you are it's racist to choose your boot strictly on skin color - and
blacks can be as bigotted as anybody else.

I know some would say otherwise but iracism is not a white monopoly.

Jake

Sep 25, 2021, 8:15:25 AM9/25/21
Yes, I realized I had replied to your post instead of starting a new topic, and my post didn't have much to do with yours. That's what happens when posting so infrequently. Ha.

JD

Brian Smith

Sep 26, 2021, 4:20:27 PM9/26/21
Totally agree. When Alyssa said "I'm 50% white, I guess that means I'm next" and DF and Azah lied to her and then laughed about it in the DR was such a sick moment. They should have at least been honest with her.

--
Brian

Questor

Sep 28, 2021, 9:03:57 AM9/28/21
On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 17:36:34 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca> wrote:
>On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 14:45:06 -0700 (PDT), Jake <Mpva...@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>>For me, the political correctness is spoiling the game. Jeff Probst wondering if
>>"come on in guys" was not appropriate and exclusive? Geez. Then the homosexual
>>married to a woman who had his child transitioning to a male (whew) is just
>>icing on the cake. Diversity is good and fine, but when you take it to extremes
>>it becomes the distraction rather than focus on the game play. Seems like
>>Survivor has become woke. I'm not sure I'll last the season.
>
>I feel the same about this season's big brother. No matter what color
>you are it's racist to choose your boot strictly on skin color - and
>blacks can be as bigotted as anybody else.
>
>I know some would say otherwise but iracism is not a white monopoly.

It's one thing to discuss racism within the game of Survivor -- i.e., booting
someone based on their race -- and quite another to consider it in society at
large. I'm not sure the former can tell us much about the latter.

The Horny Goat

Sep 29, 2021, 1:03:07 PM9/29/21
On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 13:05:07 GMT, use...@only.tnx (Questor) wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 17:36:34 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca> wrote:
>>On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 14:45:06 -0700 (PDT), Jake <Mpva...@yahoo.com>
>>wrote:
>>I know some would say otherwise but iracism is not a white monopoly.
>
>It's one thing to discuss racism within the game of Survivor -- i.e., booting
>someone based on their race -- and quite another to consider it in society at
>large. I'm not sure the former can tell us much about the latter.

Very true - there have been some extremely competent black players and
those who er - weren't.

Like anybody else they can be "incompetent" for different reasons.
Ghandia (S5?) picked fights with known racists (a more sensible
strategy would have been to focus on making the merge while soaking up
the crap in the meantime) while James Clement got booted with two
hidden immunity idols (which to me said more about hubris than
intelligence).

How Clement made All-Stars is beyond me since leaving with 2 HII's is
the epitome of NOT being a 'star' though no question he was a fan
favorite. That's more serious a flaw than poor Colby's momentary
forgetting what a "conjugal visit" was and using the term to refer to
his mother in season 2. (I remember hearing it and wondering if I had
heard correctly then laughing uncontrollably for 10+ minutes)

Questor

Oct 17, 2021, 6:09:21 PM10/17/21
On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 14:45:06 -0700 (PDT), Jake <Mpva...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>For me, the political correctness is spoiling the game. Jeff Probst wondering
>if "come on in guys" was not appropriate and exclusive? Geez. Then the
>homosexual married to a woman who had his child transitioning to a male (whew)
>is just icing on the cake. Diversity is good and fine, but when you take
>it to extremes it becomes the distraction rather than focus on the game play
>Seems like Survivor has become woke. I'm not sure I'll last the season.

Ah, the pendulum swings the other way briefly and all the white boys start
complaining! Did you complain about the lack of diversity and representation
when the casts were nearly all-white? I don't have a problem if most of the
cast isn't like me. Heck, almost all of the Survivor players haven't been like
me. (grin) People talk about who they are in confessionals because in some
part that drives their game play. Eventually it's how they play, not what they
say, that matters.

The Horny Goat

Oct 18, 2021, 8:14:05 PM10/18/21
In fairness the wokesters have a distorted view of the American
population. Which is roughly 12-13% black and 18-20% Hispanic / Latino

If you were going by the population of the United States at large that
a typical Survivor season would include 1 or 2 blacks (which in
Survivor usually would mean 1 male 1 female) and 2-4 Latinos. (I'm
estimating based on 16-20 players per season).

At least if we're discussing seasons 20 to present I'd argue Hispanics
have far more reason to complain than blacks in terms of
representation on Survivor.

(I would make the same argument concerning Big Brother - though BB
Canada recently had their first ever aboriginal contestant - who got
booted at final 4 or 5 as none of the remaining players wanted to face
him in a final 2 which having watched that season makes perfect sense
to me - he definitely would have been a scary opponent at final 2
making your case before the jury! Which of course is the #1 reason
people get booted at F4 and especially F3 in both BB and Survivor)

I could put together a table of blacks in Survivor going back to
season 1 but to suggest that they as a group have been
under-represented in the show doesn't hold water. Asians have been
reasonably represented though in my opinion if anybody should feel
aggrieved it's Hispanics, Sandra Twining-Diaz notwithstanding (who I
would definitely put in the top 3 ever even though as a personality I
don't like her much).

What DOES hold water is the claim that some highly dysfunctional black
people have been cast (I'm thinking of S5 Ghandia here) though I
really don't think the producers can reasonably be blamed for James
Clement's error in thinking he was safe and getting voted out with 2
hidden immunity idols. And THEN the Survivor crew invited him back for
All-Stars as if leaving the game with 2 HIIs makes one an 'all star'!
(Just the opposite in my opinion) Though in my opinion on paper at
least the casting crew must have considered him a strong contestant -
which I would agree with. On paper I would have expected James to have
gone further than he did.

And I agree with those who take the view that Cirie Fields was the
strongest player never to win.

All told, if my memory serves there have been 4 black winners of
Survivor (Vecepia, Earl, Wendell and Jeremy (have I missed any?) which
in 40 seasons is about what one would expect in a non-biased sample

The Horny Goat

Oct 18, 2021, 8:18:25 PM10/18/21
On Sun, 17 Oct 2021 22:10:51 GMT, use...@only.tnx (Questor) wrote:

>Ah, the pendulum swings the other way briefly and all the white boys start
>complaining! Did you complain about the lack of diversity and representation
>when the casts were nearly all-white? I don't have a problem if most of the
>cast isn't like me. Heck, almost all of the Survivor players haven't been like
>me. (grin) People talk about who they are in confessionals because in some
>part that drives their game play. Eventually it's how they play, not what they
>say, that matters.

With all due respect you're full of beans on 'nearly all-white' as (1)
Survivor HAS been fairly diverse and (2) based on the US population
how many blacks per season SHOULD you expect to see if the 5000-10000
applicants per season are drawn randomly from the US population?

More importantly do they entertain me? Having watched all 40 completed
seasons those I'd put on my list mostly have and with the exception of
poor Debb Eaton (first boot on season 2) I don't know of anybody who
has said Survivor wasn't a good experience for them.

As for occasionally casting complete doofuses for Survivor it's not as
if they do their casting at the Oxford Union or Mensa.

Questor

Oct 19, 2021, 2:42:20 PM10/19/21
On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 17:18:21 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca> wrote:
>On Sun, 17 Oct 2021 22:10:51 GMT, use...@only.tnx (Questor) wrote:
>
>>Ah, the pendulum swings the other way briefly and all the white boys start
>>complaining! Did you complain about the lack of diversity and representation
>>when the casts were nearly all-white? I don't have a problem if most of the
>>cast isn't like me. Heck, almost all of the Survivor players haven't been like
>>me. (grin) People talk about who they are in confessionals because in some
>>part that drives their game play. Eventually it's how they play, not what they
>>say, that matters.
>
>With all due respect you're full of beans on 'nearly all-white' as (1)
>Survivor HAS been fairly diverse and (2) based on the US population
>how many blacks per season SHOULD you expect to see if the 5000-10000
>applicants per season are drawn randomly from the US population?

Your posts just support my point.

In general, minorities have been under-represented on Survivor, which means that
whites have been over-represented. Now, as I said, the pendulum has swung the
other way briefly, and minorities are over-represented for a season or three.
And now suddenly we see concerns by whites about fairness and population
percentages, with you going so far as to offer ethnic breakdowns. (You forgot
native Americans! -- grin) Where was this concern about accurate proportional
representation before?

The shoe's on the other foot, and white boys don't like the fit. I say get over
it. This should be viewed as a "teachable moment" as they say, where you get
a small glimmer into what minorities have experienced almost all the time for
decades.

So bring it on -- let's have lots more cultural and sexual minorities on the
program. More people that aren't like me -- yay! It just demonstrates two
things to me. First, they're just as human as anybody else, with largely the
same concerns: family, relationships, career, etc. And second, all these
distinctions don't seem to matter much when it comes to playing Survivor!

The Horny Goat

Oct 19, 2021, 6:43:47 PM10/19/21
On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 18:43:53 GMT, use...@only.tnx (Questor) wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 17:18:21 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca> wrote:
>>On Sun, 17 Oct 2021 22:10:51 GMT, use...@only.tnx (Questor) wrote:
>>With all due respect you're full of beans on 'nearly all-white' as (1)
>>Survivor HAS been fairly diverse and (2) based on the US population
>>how many blacks per season SHOULD you expect to see if the 5000-10000
>>applicants per season are drawn randomly from the US population?
>
>Your posts just support my point.

How in blue blazes can my argument that you are "full of beans"
support your point?

>In general, minorities have been under-represented on Survivor, which means that
>whites have been over-represented. Now, as I said, the pendulum has swung the
>other way briefly, and minorities are over-represented for a season or three.
>And now suddenly we see concerns by whites about fairness and population
>percentages, with you going so far as to offer ethnic breakdowns. (You forgot
>native Americans! -- grin) Where was this concern about accurate proportional
>representation before?

With respect I am saying nothing I wasn't saying about 10 years ago
during seasons 15-20 - and I >have< been posting in this newsgroup
regularly since season 2 as Brian is no doubt able to vouch for.

>The shoe's on the other foot, and white boys don't like the fit. I say get over
>it. This should be viewed as a "teachable moment" as they say, where you get
>a small glimmer into what minorities have experienced almost all the time for
>decades.

I'm not complaining all that much as long as they're entertaining. I
even enjoyed Ghandia though I really hated the way Clay was constantly
baiting her. He was TRULY a master baiter (pun intended) and while
many hated him I considered Brian Heiduk one of the best ever and
believe the main reason he's never been back is that him and Probst
thoroughly hated each other.

>So bring it on -- let's have lots more cultural and sexual minorities on the
>program. More people that aren't like me -- yay! It just demonstrates two
>things to me. First, they're just as human as anybody else, with largely the
>same concerns: family, relationships, career, etc. And second, all these
>distinctions don't seem to matter much when it comes to playing Survivor!

As long as these folks don't constantly feel they have to constantly
"represent" and stick to the game all is well. I strongly disliked the
way BB ran this season partly in the portion from F6 forward as the
"representation" was constant and annoying. Even Julie Chen felt she
had to get involved in this stuff.

As an example I >really< liked James Clement and figured he was going
to win - until he got over-confident and went home with TWO HIIs in
his pocket. Like what were you thinking James? Or were you thinking at
all? (He said afterwards he felt that if he survived that week - and
had seen no move to oust him - he had a lock on Final 3. Which is fine
but you still have to get through the current week....)

I'm not sure Cirie deserved to win her second time through but felt
she misplayed her endgame first time round.

But in fairness 4 black winners in 40 completed seasons is not out of
whack to the numbers.

I've read several websites on race and Survivor and in all fairness
think the knock on Survivor is NOT with numbers cast but rather than
some of the black women in particular were highly dysfunctional. And
that too many of the black men cast were the super-athlete stereotype.

On the other hand there were plenty of miscast white men too - surely
it must have been obvious to the casting crew before episode 1 that
neither Clay nor Russell Hantz had any hope of winning. As for other
old farts, Mark Burnett said one of his books that the first time he
met S1 Rudy he knew he had found Survivor gold. And that DD (2nd boot
season 1) just wasn't and would get in trouble with his younger team
mates very quickly

That said, Survivor changed forever when Russell Hantz demonstrated
HIIs could be found without clues - much as I loathed the man one has
to give him that. Would love to see his audition tape to know whether
there was any hint of that before he got "to the island". Probst has
given several interviews where Russell is discussed though he's never
disclosed whether it was obvious before the island that Hantz would be
so memorable for his idol-hunting..

Elmo P. Shagnasty

Oct 20, 2021, 6:51:12 AM10/20/21
On 2021-09-29 17:03:03 +0000, The Horny Goat said:

> Very true - there have been some extremely competent black players and
> those who er - weren't.

"Osten....per your wishes....go home."

Elmo P. Shagnasty

Oct 22, 2021, 4:55:56 AM10/22/21
On 2021-10-19 18:43:53 +0000, Questor said:

> In general, minorities have been under-represented on Survivor

Prove it.

I mean, that's a nice statement and all, but show us the spreadsheet.

Also, define your terms. What do you mean by "under-represented"?

For that matter, what do you mean by "minorities"? For example, we
know the government specifically excludes Asians when counting
"minorities" in college. What a crock.

Equality of opportunity does not mean or define equality of outcome, so
define your terms.

Blathering out there something like "minorities have been
under-represented" and then going on as if that's a fact, wandering
through an argument based on a random statement YOU made, is BS.

Questor

Oct 26, 2021, 10:01:35 PM10/26/21
On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 04:55:53 -0400, Elmo P. Shagnasty <el...@nastydesigns.com>
wrote:
Another post that ably demonstrates my point.

The vehement denials, the right-wing talking points, the retreat behind
statistics, the calls for fairness -- when there is even the slightest challenge
to their cultural dominance, the white boys complain loudly. But there wasn't a
peep out of them when white people were over-represented.

You'd choke on the words in admitting that minorities have been
under-represented in the past. And you could never bring yourself to accept
that it's okay that they are over-represented, however briefly, in the present.

Questor

Oct 26, 2021, 10:01:46 PM10/26/21
On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 15:43:41 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca> wrote:
>On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 18:43:53 GMT, use...@only.tnx (Questor) wrote:
>>On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 17:18:21 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca> wrote:
>>>On Sun, 17 Oct 2021 22:10:51 GMT, use...@only.tnx (Questor) wrote:
>>>With all due respect you're full of beans on 'nearly all-white' as (1)
>>>Survivor HAS been fairly diverse and (2) based on the US population
>>>how many blacks per season SHOULD you expect to see if the 5000-10000
>>>applicants per season are drawn randomly from the US population?
>>
>>Your posts just support my point.
>
>How in blue blazes can my argument that you are "full of beans"
>support your point?

Because you persist in bringing up statistics and calls for fairness. I don't
track peoples' posts, so maybe you've been calling for better representation
of minorities for many years. If so, you're unique.

>I'm not complaining all that much as long as they're entertaining. I
>even enjoyed Ghandia though I really hated the way Clay was constantly
>baiting her. He was TRULY a master baiter (pun intended) and while
>many hated him I considered Brian Heiduk one of the best ever and
>believe the main reason he's never been back is that him and Probst
>thoroughly hated each other.

I think Brian played a great game, particularly his making secret final two
alliances with the four remaining players. But he was also lucky, particularly
with the "two tribes, one beach" nonsense. I think he realizes that his win
was in large part due to that luck. Apart from his antipathy with Probst (of
which I know nothing), I think he also had no taste for the attendent hoopla
and publicity surrounding a popular television show like Survivor. And in a
way, he was bad television -- cool, level-headed, he never made a scene
or spouted bombastic things in his confessionals. He played, he won, and for
him that's the end of it. He wanted/wants no more to do with the show.

Elmo P. Shagnasty

Oct 29, 2021, 8:54:15 PM10/29/21
yes, we get it. When asked to provide facts instead of conjectures,
you simply double down on your "I said therefore it's true" and go into
attack mode.

I have no words to choke on--I simply said, show me your spreadsheet
and define your terms. You won't do either. You can say anything, but
smart people want to know WHAT you said--not just that you said
something. So define your terms. You can say "underrepresented" but
absent a definition of that, it's just word salad.

The Horny Goat

Oct 30, 2021, 2:05:11 AM10/30/21
A large part of the problem is that many think of blacks as 'minority'
and don't include anybody else in that category.

America is currently about 14% black and 30% other minorities - which
include both East Asians, Indians (I'm using the term here to mean
"from India") and Hispanics. There are 6 blacks this season, one
Indian and one Filipina. It's possible I've mistagged somebody but
given non-black minorities outnumber blacks more than 2:1 it's clear
to me that if any group has a right to complain it's not blacks.

While blacks have never before this season been 1/3 of the cast (not
surprising given their national numbers) I strongly feel they have a
much more valid complaint than on numbers cast - and that's how
they're portrayed on the show.

Folks like James and Ghandia might well complain they were portrayed
as complete doofuses which in Ghadia's case I think was justified
based on her behaviour on the island. In James' case I don't think
that was his edit at all until his eviction episode where in a fit of
overconfidence went home with two HIIs which is not exactly a record
one wants to hold!

I remember other black people who went very deep or won like Earl who
I felt at the end that he didn't get nearly the camera time he
deserved.

So while you might well convince me several black people didn't get
the camera time they deserved, I feel strongly that in terms of
numbers of black folks cast your claim that they've been
under-represented simply doesn't hold water.

Now to be sure - I don't feel strongly enough on this to put together
a 41 season spreadsheet assigning each of some 500 players to an
"identity group" but I think I've at least partly made my case that in
terms of players of a given ethnic group cast on the show others have
FAR FAR FAR more grounds for complaint than blacks.

(Again I >do< feel some have either been unfairly shown on the show or
gotten less camera time than they deserve - no question about it - but
your claim is based on numbers cast on the show and that I feel
strongly is untrue)

If someone HAS done an "identity" spreadsheet for all 41 seasons I'd
love to see it but that's not a project I'm interested in spending the
hours to create.

Elmo P. Shagnasty

Oct 30, 2021, 1:45:34 PM10/30/21
On 2021-10-30 06:05:06 +0000, The Horny Goat said:

> So while you might well convince me several black people didn't get
> the camera time they deserved, I feel strongly that in terms of
> numbers of black folks cast your claim that they've been
> under-represented simply doesn't hold water.

There's also the implication that "equality" or "equity" or whatever
term the woke folks are using today means equality of outcome--that by
definition, if 13% of the country is X color, then 13% of the Survivor
cast must be X color and 13% of the winners must be X color.

It's about equal opportunity, and the ability to achieve your best.
But "equality" specifically doesn't talk to equal outcomes.

And that's where so many people fall apart. When you define "equality"
as meaning "equal outcomes," that leads to lowering the standards.

I saw a youtube video the other day where someone interviewed students
on campus about affirmative action. They were 100% all for it--until
the interviewer asked them about applying that to the football team.
Suddenly, they were all about ability and not skin color or meeting
quotas. The students did a complete 180 and contradicted themselves.
Ability to perform the task was all that mattered. (So at least they
get the concept.)

We need people with ability to produce in this country. Skin color
doesn't define ability. Ability defines ability.

But for some reason, too many people in this country are dead set on
dividing things by skin color and reproductive equipment. Those people
feed off of divisiveness, and are as racist as it gets.

I'm still waiting for how Questor defines "underrepresented". I don't
trust that anyone in this divisive day and age is communicating clearly
and concisely, with commonly agreed upon terms.

Questor

Nov 8, 2021, 8:39:50 AM11/8/21
On Fri, 29 Oct 2021 20:54:13 -0400, Elmo P. Shagnasty <el...@nastydesigns.com>
Why should I play your game? You just want to drag me down in to the
statistical weeds, then argue about definitions, numbers, studies, methodology,
etc. All of that is a distraction to obscure and ignore the salient point.

You are seeing more black, brown, and queer people in the media, and you don't
like it.

How many people of color or alternative sexuality did you ask what *they* think
about whether they're under- or over-represented on Survivor and elsewhere?
Have you even spent a single minute trying to imagine what it's like to be in a
racial or sexual minority, and have the white, heterosexual, predominately male
point-of-view pushed at you 24x7 in movies, television, magazines, newspapers,
etc.?

The demographics are inexorably changing. You are another aging white boy
complaining that their cultural dominance is starting to wane. Soon you will be
just another minority among many. In the meantime, the pendulum swings the
other way for a brief time, and it's got your knickers all in a twist.

Elmo P. Shagnasty

Nov 8, 2021, 6:59:37 PM11/8/21
Um, you declared something to be factual. I said, show me the numbers.
You used a term in a vague manner, so I asked you to define it in your
terms.

And we all can see how you responded.

Game? I didn't think asking you questions was "a game". YOU declared
it to be "a game". You did so to deflect from the fact that you
couldnt't defend your statement that "miniorities have been
under-represented"--not by any numbers, and not by clarifying what you
mean by "under-represented".

The Horny Goat

Nov 9, 2021, 11:58:33 AM11/9/21
On Mon, 08 Nov 2021 13:41:48 GMT, use...@only.tnx (Questor) wrote:

>Why should I play your game? You just want to drag me down in to the
>statistical weeds, then argue about definitions, numbers, studies, methodology,
>etc. All of that is a distraction to obscure and ignore the salient point.
>
>You are seeing more black, brown, and queer people in the media, and you don't
>like it.
>
>How many people of color or alternative sexuality did you ask what *they* think
>about whether they're under- or over-represented on Survivor and elsewhere?
>Have you even spent a single minute trying to imagine what it's like to be in a
>racial or sexual minority, and have the white, heterosexual, predominately male
>point-of-view pushed at you 24x7 in movies, television, magazines, newspapers,
>etc.?
>
>The demographics are inexorably changing. You are another aging white boy
>complaining that their cultural dominance is starting to wane. Soon you will be
>just another minority among many. In the meantime, the pendulum swings the
>other way for a brief time, and it's got your knickers all in a twist.

Of all the TV shows you could rag on for 'inclusiveness' you pick on
Survivor! Which of all shows has been quite diverse from the beginning
- that "fat naked gay guy" from season 1 being a prime example even if
he later turned out (I'm thinking primarily season 8 here) that
weren't so lovely from the woke narrative.

Again - to the extent that any ethnic group has a right to be annoyed
at their "under-casting" it would be Hispanics and Asians not Blacks.
(Have we EVER seen a Survivor contestant of Indian origin - either
type of "Indian" for that matter. Or a Jew?) Black contestants have
more of an argument about how they are portrayed on camera than they
do about insufficient numbers of them being cast in the first place.

But then plenty of white contestants have been portrayed as complete
idiots as well - Colby's "conjugal visit" (referring to a visit from
his mother) is a great example. Even Boston Rob did several silly
things on camera he likely wishes he could have back.

We've had a little over 600 or so contestants in 41 seasons by now so
one would think we would have a few by now.

In any case the Survivor Wiki says 88 black contestants out of 608
total which is quite close compared to their proportion of the
national population (14.5% of Survivor players vs 14.2% of the
national population) and I would be astonished if Mark Burnett had not
insisted on that with the casting crew. The last thing he needs is
controversy on this subject.

Elmo P. Shagnasty

Nov 10, 2021, 6:55:29 AM11/10/21
"The Germans?"

"Forget it, he's rolling."

The Horny Goat

Nov 10, 2021, 3:29:54 PM11/10/21
On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 06:55:27 -0500, Elmo P. Shagnasty
<el...@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>> In any case the Survivor Wiki says 88 black contestants out of 608
>> total which is quite close compared to their proportion of the
>> national population (14.5% of Survivor players vs 14.2% of the
>> national population) and I would be astonished if Mark Burnett had not
>> insisted on that with the casting crew. The last thing he needs is
>> controversy on this subject.
>
>"The Germans?"
>
>"Forget it, he's rolling."

I have no idea what your point is but I am quite sure in 2021 (or even
in 2000 when it all started) that Mark Burnett would have ignored
gender or racial balance and even in the most unlikely event he did
that CBS would let him.

What happens once the players actually get to the island and do their
thing is out of the hand of the casting crew and all that's available
is to put on the most entertaining show possible for their audience.

Given we're now on season 41 we may reasonably assume CBS has been
happy with the job MB + crew has done.

Elmo P. Shagnasty

Nov 11, 2021, 2:53:24 PM11/11/21
On 2021-11-10 20:29:51 +0000, The Horny Goat said:

>> "The Germans?"
>>
>> "Forget it, he's rolling."
>
> I have no idea what your point is

Animal House reference. re Questor: "Forget it, he's rolling".

Elmo P. Shagnasty

Nov 11, 2021, 2:53:59 PM11/11/21
On 2021-11-10 20:29:51 +0000, The Horny Goat said:

> What happens once the players actually get to the island and do their
> thing is out of the hand of the casting crew and all that's available
> is to put on the most entertaining show possible for their audience.

Equality means equal opportunity--not equal outcomes.

The Horny Goat

Nov 11, 2021, 6:19:04 PM11/11/21
Well sure - in a game played with 16 or 18 or 20 people the vast
majority ARE going to get voted off the island. What DO people think
"Sole Survivor" means anyhow?

I've both played and directed chess tournaments for 30+ years - while
top honors are sometimes shared, most of the participants DON'T win
the event - but they have a good enough time doing it that they
usually come back for more...