S41 Ponderosa: Mafia Pastor

Brian Smith

Nov 29, 2021, 6:31:17 PM11/29/21
Here's MP's Ponderosa video. Are she and others not aware that there's already been a number of African-American winners?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW4DPKIBh-e/ (9:27)

--
Brian

zeppo

Nov 29, 2021, 7:26:00 PM11/29/21
On Monday, November 29, 2021 at 3:31:17 PM UTC-8, Brian Smith wrote:
> Here's MP's Ponderosa video. Are she and others not aware that there's already been a number of African-American winners?

Ha!
Her comments for the camera had clearly been rehearsed beforehand. In her interview with Dalton, she was nowhere near
as articulate.
I hung in there until the SurvivorShan song started. That was brutal.

Brian Smith

Nov 29, 2021, 11:04:50 PM11/29/21
The last part of the video is not bad. It's her reflecting on her experience. She said coming in she was afraid of screwing everything up. She said in the game she gave it her all and she hopes she's learned to stop being so fearful about everything in life.

She answered some fan questions on Twitter today and came across as being articulated as far as I'm concerned. It might have helped that CBS appears to have told her to keep her responses to about 30 seconds.

Concerning the song "The Survivor Shan-ty," do you remember the Ponderosa where Courtney and some of the others formed a band performed? One or more of them had brought instruments and the song they wrote was quite good. Courtney was the singer. I believe the season was "Heroes vs. Villains." That season had amazing Ponderosa videos.

--
Brian

zeppo

Dec 1, 2021, 1:31:56 PM12/1/21
On Monday, November 29, 2021 at 8:04:50 PM UTC-8, Brian Smith wrote:

> Concerning the song "The Survivor Shan-ty," do you remember the Ponderosa where Courtney and some of the others formed a band performed? One or more of them had brought instruments and the song they wrote was quite good. Courtney was the singer. I believe the season was "Heroes vs. Villains." That season had amazing Ponderosa videos.

Yes. "The Dragonz". IIRC, "Coach" did most of the singing, and all of the songwriting. Courtney and J.T. were involved, with Danielle, Candice, and Amanda
making minor contributions.

Elmo P. Shagnasty

Dec 1, 2021, 5:17:22 PM12/1/21
No, because it spoils their narrative and their nonsense view of the world.

They're entitled to their fiction, don't you know, and if you deny them
that, then you're racist and evil.

The Horny Goat

Dec 1, 2021, 6:42:40 PM12/1/21
In fact 4 blacks, 1 Asian (Yul) and one I can't tell based on her
picture Season 29: Natalie Anderson. (Despite her picture on the site
I'm pretty sure Danni Boatwright is white - and some of these pictures
were from before the show and some right after Final Tribal Council
when they're bound to be more tanned than on day 1! ) plus of course 1
Asian (Yul Kwon) and 1 Hispanic (Sandra Twining-Diaz - twice).

Pictures at https://www.goldderby.com/gallery/survivor-winners-list/

Bottom line is in 40 completed seasons that's pretty close to what you
would expect given the US population (which I presume is reasonably
represented in those who apply to play on the show which I agree isn't
a given).

It's a bit out but not outrageously and certainly well within normal
statistical error (which is a technical term I ask you not to comment
on unless you really DO know what it means - I have a math degree and
DO know!)

zeppo

Dec 1, 2021, 7:06:23 PM12/1/21
On Wednesday, December 1, 2021 at 3:42:40 PM UTC-8, The Horny Goat wrote:

> In fact 4 blacks, 1 Asian (Yul) and one I can't tell based on her
> picture Season 29: Natalie Anderson. (Despite her picture on the site
> I'm pretty sure Danni Boatwright is white - and some of these pictures
> were from before the show and some right after Final Tribal Council
> when they're bound to be more tanned than on day 1! ) plus of course 1
> Asian (Yul Kwon) and 1 Hispanic (Sandra Twining-Diaz - twice).

Two Asians. IIRC, Natalie Anderson's family were from Sri Lanka.

Rick

Dec 1, 2021, 8:10:55 PM12/1/21
"The Horny Goat" wrote in message

>On Wed, 1 Dec 2021 17:17:21 -0500, Elmo P. Shagnasty
><el...@nastydesigns.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2021-11-29 23:31:16 +0000, Brian Smith said:
>>
>>> Here's MP's Ponderosa video. Are she and others not aware that there's
>>> already been a number of African-American winners1
>>>
>>> https://www.instagram.com/p/CW4DPKIBh-e/ (9:27)
>>
>>No, because it spoils their narrative and their nonsense view of the
>>world.
>>
>>They're entitled to their fiction, don't you know, and if you deny them
>>that, then you're racist and evil.
>
>In fact 4 blacks, 1 Asian (Yul) and one I can't tell based on her
>picture Season 29: Natalie Anderson. (Despite her picture on the site
>I'm pretty sure Danni Boatwright is white - and some of these pictures
>were from before the show and some right after Final Tribal Council
>when they're bound to be more tanned than on day 1! ) plus of course 1
>Asian (Yul Kwon) and 1 Hispanic (Sandra Twining-Diaz - twice).
>
>Pictures at https://www.goldderby.com/gallery/survivor-winners-list/
>
>Bottom line is in 40 completed seasons that's pretty close to what you
>would expect given the US population (which I presume is reasonably
>represented in those who apply to play on the show which I agree isn't
>a given).
>
>It's a bit out but not outrageously and certainly well within normal
>statistical error (which is a technical term I ask you not to comment
>on unless you really DO know what it means - I have a math degree and
>DO know!)

You don't really need to be a statistics expert on this. Blacks comprise
roughly 12.1% of the US population according to the 2020 census. If you
assume there have been five black winners (I think Natalie would be
considered black), five out of 40 winners is 12.5%. If you assume there are
39 winners because Sandra won twice, then you get 12.8% Either way, that's
pretty close to the US average.

The Horny Goat

Dec 2, 2021, 1:33:39 AM12/2/21
On Wed, 1 Dec 2021 20:10:48 -0500, "Rick" <ri...@nospam.com> wrote:

>"The Horny Goat" wrote in message
>>>They're entitled to their fiction, don't you know, and if you deny them
>>>that, then you're racist and evil.
>>
>>In fact 4 blacks, 1 Asian (Yul) and one I can't tell based on her
>>picture Season 29: Natalie Anderson. (Despite her picture on the site
>>I'm pretty sure Danni Boatwright is white - and some of these pictures
>>were from before the show and some right after Final Tribal Council
>>when they're bound to be more tanned than on day 1! ) plus of course 1
>>Asian (Yul Kwon) and 1 Hispanic (Sandra Twining-Diaz - twice).
>>
>>Pictures at https://www.goldderby.com/gallery/survivor-winners-list/
>>
>>Bottom line is in 40 completed seasons that's pretty close to what you
>>would expect given the US population (which I presume is reasonably
>>represented in those who apply to play on the show which I agree isn't
>>a given).
>>
>>It's a bit out but not outrageously and certainly well within normal
>>statistical error (which is a technical term I ask you not to comment
>>on unless you really DO know what it means - I have a math degree and
>>DO know!)
>
>You don't really need to be a statistics expert on this. Blacks comprise
>roughly 12.1% of the US population according to the 2020 census. If you
>assume there have been five black winners (I think Natalie would be
>considered black), five out of 40 winners is 12.5%. If you assume there are
>39 winners because Sandra won twice, then you get 12.8% Either way, that's
>pretty close to the US average.
>
>--
Well Sandra isn't black but her husband is (I believe he was part of
the family visit each season she was on and certainly appeared on
finale night)

When I say 'normal statistical error' that's referring to expected
deviation of a sample of a much larger population. In this case the
technical question is whether the proportion of ethnicities in the
Survivor applicant pool is closely linked to the national population
and since we don't know who all applies the only way we can comment is
based on who actually appears on the show which seems fairly close.

I've said previously on this newsgroup that if blacks have any
legitimate beef with Survivor it's NOT on the casting process but
rather the way some are editted and shown on screen. For instance if
S5 Ghandia is fairly represented on the show then I'm not sure I want
to be around her if she's carrying scissors. And if she WAS fairly
portrayed on the show that CBS helped her with her psychiatric costs.

Question - besides Debb Eaton (1st boot in season 2) has ANY past
contestant said they wished they'd never been on the show?

Elmo P. Shagnasty

Dec 2, 2021, 5:00:15 AM12/2/21
On 2021-12-01 23:42:35 +0000, The Horny Goat said:

> It's a bit out but not outrageously and certainly well within normal
> statistical error (which is a technical term I ask you not to comment
> on unless you really DO know what it means - I have a math degree and
> DO know!)

Anyone who's been to college SHOULD know what normal statistical error
means. It doesn't take a degree in mathematics.

Elmo P. Shagnasty

Dec 2, 2021, 5:01:22 AM12/2/21
But don't let all that talk let you forget: our world is about equality
of opportunity, not equality of outcome.

zeppo

Dec 2, 2021, 9:01:27 PM12/2/21
On Wednesday, December 1, 2021 at 10:33:39 PM UTC-8, The Horny Goat wrote:

> Question - besides Debb Eaton (1st boot in season 2) has ANY past
> contestant said they wished they'd never been on the show?

Phillip Sheppard
Brandon Quinton (S03)

These two guys have gone on the record with their regrets. However, I suspect that there are more former players
who have similar feelings, but have chosen to keep them to themselves.

The Horny Goat

Dec 4, 2021, 10:32:55 PM12/4/21
"Anyone who's been to college" is an exaggeration but there are plenty
of disciplnes outside the math department that make extensive use of
mathematical statistics. (My undergraduate degree DOES happen to be in
math & stats but that's incidental - there are plenty of both 'hard'
scientists and social scientist type that have that level of
statistical skill.)

The Horny Goat

Dec 4, 2021, 10:38:18 PM12/4/21
I dunno - I am extremely discouraged about Survivor right now because
while I've watched and enjoyed 40 seasons all this talk at the last
tribal council about 'diversity' and 'equity' makes me extremely
discouraged.

Given all the woke stuff said at the last tribal council I would love
to hear Vecepia Towery's view of things. This season has tilted the
table quite strongly towards the black contestants (just as BB Canada
did) and the way some of the players were talking one would think they
did not know that a black person had ever won Survivor before much
less 3 of them. From what was heard at tribal council I'm quite
certain several of them hope to be the first black "sole survivor".

I do hope none of them are that ignorant. As it is that most recent
tribal council was extremely discouraging.

Brian Smith

Dec 4, 2021, 11:19:50 PM12/4/21
There's been four black winners of Survivor: Vecipia, Earl, Jeremy, and Wendell. Jeremy and Wendell played in Winners at War which was the season before this one, yet a number of these people do act as if a black player has never won before.

I agree with you that the tables have been turned too much. The >=50% POC rule is ridiculous and is just going to lead to alliances based on race. BB23 was disgusting the way every move the Cookout made was designed to take out a non-black player. The argument that a black player can't win up against a white player is nonsense. It's like the people making this argument have never seen the shows before.

I realize we're stuck with the 50% rule for awhile. With all of the negative feedback and lower ratings I hope future players remember that Survivor and BB are individual games and that the vast majority of viewers don't care about this woke shit. Play to win and don't worry about making social statements.

--
Brian

Elmo P. Shagnasty

Dec 6, 2021, 7:32:26 AM12/6/21
It's a scripted CBS narrative, to appease...whomever.

Remember, if you listen to major media outlets (and some politicians)
you'll come away thinking Kyle Rittenhouse shot and killed three black
men.

Elmo P. Shagnasty

Dec 6, 2021, 7:34:19 AM12/6/21
On 2021-12-05 04:19:49 +0000, Brian Smith said:

> With all of the negative feedback and lower ratings I hope future
> players remember that Survivor and BB are individual games and that the
> vast majority of viewers don't care about this woke shit. Play to win
> and don't worry about making social statements.

But CBS controls the narrative. The players don't. Out of the video
of 168 hours/week and all those players, CBS could frame any situation
as anything they want it to be.

They can also pay out bonuses in order to create whatever drama they
want. And they do.

Elmo P. Shagnasty

Dec 6, 2021, 7:35:53 AM12/6/21
I agree it's a bit of an exaggeration, but really it shouldn't be.
Understanding statistics even at a survey level is an important part of
a well rounded education.

The Horny Goat

Dec 6, 2021, 11:35:51 AM12/6/21
On Mon, 6 Dec 2021 07:35:51 -0500, Elmo P. Shagnasty
While I agree with you you know and I know that mathematical literacy
is no longer the norm in North American society.

Heck up until 200 or so years ago rhetoric used to be part of the core
curriculum - which is a skill many lack today and it's central to
one's communication skills. (I'm not talking about Churchill or FDR
level skills in speechifying, I'm talking about being able to
effectively present one's views in everyday life which is central to
negotiation ability)

In this era to be truly literate one needs to be functional both in
print, in verbal communication and in online skills - and the three
skill sets are emphatically NOT identical across the board though many
think otherwise.

Elmo P. Shagnasty

Dec 6, 2021, 1:37:19 PM12/6/21
On 2021-12-06 16:35:48 +0000, The Horny Goat said:

> you know and I know that mathematical literacy
> is no longer the norm in North American society.

sigh. Yes.

Worse, mathematical literacy--and knowledge of other things--is shamed.
"You're stupid for thinking you should know that, or for being good at
it." Such is the Twitbook world in which we live, where ignorance is
celebrated...

The Horny Goat

Dec 6, 2021, 1:39:27 PM12/6/21
Some might argue that building a fire is the only useful skill and if
the show goes as I expect they might well be right!

Elmo P. Shagnasty

Dec 6, 2021, 1:56:51 PM12/6/21
But let's face it, DeShawn completely lucked out in that Monty Hall
challenge. Now you'll never get him to believe that staying was the
ABSOLUTE WORST choice he could have made.