Announcement from Coach (video)

Brian Smith

Jan 9, 2024, 12:32:29 AMJan 9
Part of me thinks this is bullshit but why would he tag the Bills if it wasn't true?

https://twitter.com/the_real_coach/status/1744574205688238273

--
Brian

Emanuel Berg

Jan 9, 2024, 12:40:41 AMJan 9
True. Why not? Cred to old Coach.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

Rick

Jan 9, 2024, 1:59:00 PMJan 9
"Brian Smith" wrote in message
This sounds fishy for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that
the Anthem is usually sung by an actual singer without accompaniment. It's
hard to recall anyone ever doing a trumpet performance of the Anthem, and if
a team actually wanted someone to do this, it's hard to believe Benjamin
Wade would be high on their call list.

I wonder if when he says he'll be at Bills Stadium for the National Anthem
he really means he will be in the parking lot playing along when the Anthem
is performed by an actual singer.

Brian Smith

Jan 9, 2024, 2:21:26 PMJan 9
It does sound hard to believe but he is an accomplished musician. I agree with you about the trumpet part but maybe they have something different in mind. If this is just a big joke, why did he choose this game and not one years ago?

--
Brian

Rick

Jan 9, 2024, 4:54:32 PMJan 9
"Brian Smith" wrote in message
I dunno - maybe he just thought of it? Guess we'll find out soon enough...

Emanuel Berg

Jan 9, 2024, 7:53:47 PMJan 9
Brian Smith wrote:

> It does sound hard to believe but he is an accomplished
> musician. I agree with you about the trumpet part but maybe
> they have something different in mind. If this is just a big
> joke, why did he choose this game and not one years ago?

Why joke about something like that?

Especially since he is, as you say, an accomplished musician.

It is like I would lie "I'm gonna write financial algorithms
for some super-duper firm on Wall Street!" and then, after
getting a bunch of people congratulating me for the
opportunity, it's all a big hoax.

Because then I/he would look all the more a fool.

Has Coach a history of making things up? Well, in his early
seasons he lied/exaggerated a lot of adventurous "events" in
his past life. But I think that was understood they were not
true, more like entertaining stories by the camp fireplace, so
everyone knew they were more fiction than facts?

Rick

Jan 9, 2024, 8:29:42 PMJan 9
"Emanuel Berg" wrote in message news:87v882v...@dataswamp.org...
Well, as I suggested, maybe he's not literally lying. Maybe he will
literally be in the parking lot of the stadium at the start of the game and
will play along while the actual National Anthem singer is singing. After
all, he didn't say he would be on the field performing the National Anthem -
he said something like he will be at the Stadium for the National Anthem.
That's exactly the sort of literal truth but not what he led people to
believe that is the hallmark of early Coach shenanigans.

So let's see what happens. If he actually gets to do a solo performance or
even some featured named accompaniment to the official performance of the
Anthem for a nationally televised NFL playoff game, that will be a pretty
amazing gig.

-

Brian Smith

Jan 9, 2024, 9:38:36 PMJan 9

Emanuel Berg

Jan 9, 2024, 10:05:35 PMJan 9
Rick wrote:

> Well, as I suggested, maybe he's not literally lying.
> Maybe he will literally be in the parking lot of the stadium
> at the start of the game and will play along while the
> actual National Anthem singer is singing. After all, he
> didn't say he would be on the field performing the National
> Anthem - he said something like he will be at the Stadium
> for the National Anthem.

Haha, you are right!

Now I hope that is the story!

Keep me informed!

Go Coach \o/

The Horny Goat

Jan 11, 2024, 12:57:16 PMJan 11
On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 01:53:43 +0100, Emanuel Berg <in...@dataswamp.org>
wrote:

>It is like I would lie "I'm gonna write financial algorithms
>for some super-duper firm on Wall Street!" and then, after
>getting a bunch of people congratulating me for the
>opportunity, it's all a big hoax.

Hey >I< said that some 30-40 years back along with everybody in my MBA
grad class at the time. Few of us actually DID that but all of us
(particularly those with an undergraduate math degree like me) did.

Now a lot of us DID go into the computer industry but that wasn't the
same thing at all...(things like me being given an address downtown -
which turned out to be the red light district - to pick up a large box
(roughly 18"x18"x18" full of 9 track tapes with total data storage to
what I purchased on boxing day this year for under $50 as USB sticks
that would today be sent by FEDEX or other courier) and be on a flight
at 6am the next morning. This is something I actually did back in
1986.

But no I >DIDN'T< get to watch Survivor (that had to wait for my
sister-in-law's marriage family after-party - it was the finale of
season 1 - I didn't watch the other 12-13 shows leading up to Hatch's
wins afterwards...)

Emanuel Berg

Jan 11, 2024, 7:47:34 PMJan 11
The Horny Goat wrote:

> Hey I said that some 30-40 years back along with everybody
> in my MBA grad class at the time. Few of us actually DID
> that but all of us (particularly those with an undergraduate
> math degree like me) did.
>
> Now a lot of us DID go into the computer industry but that
> wasn't the same thing at all...(things like me being given
> an address downtown - which turned out to be the red light
> district - to pick up a large box (roughly 18"x18"x18" full
> of 9 track tapes with total data storage to what I purchased
> on boxing day this year for under $50 as USB sticks that
> would today be sent by FEDEX or other courier) and be on
> a flight at 6am the next morning. This is something
> I actually did back in 1986.

Haha, straight gangsta!

Yeah, the personal computer revolution was in North America in
the 80s so good that you got to experience it first hand.

Then came the cellphone, later smartphone revolution and now
we are possibly seing yet another one with generative AI.

Don't know where it will all take us but I'm sure we'll figure
out ways to make money from it :P

The Horny Goat

Jan 12, 2024, 2:52:30 AMJan 12
On Fri, 12 Jan 2024 01:47:30 +0100, Emanuel Berg <in...@dataswamp.org>
wrote:
This 1986 transport did not involve PCs though between Christmas and
New Year's this year I purchased 8 64gb USB sticks for $5 each (and
that's Canuck bucks currently worth $5 x .74 apiece) They had been
offering 128gb sticks for $10 apiece but were sold out.

For what it's worth my graduation present to myself (BSc - I later
went to grad school) in 1979 was an Apple II+. Paid $72 for a box of
10 5.25" floppies and 700 for my floppy drive.... then gave up on
Apple when they introduced the Mac and DIDN'T offer a Apple II -> Mac
conversion kit (hey they did a Z80 CP/M add on so why not?) I wasn't
expecting a software conversion - just a data conversion. I had 200+
disks most with personal data like my library database and had
AppleWorks II (and was quite prepared to buy AppleWorks Mac if the kit
I was seeking would convert the AW II datafiles to a form the Mac
version I could use)

They lost a 15 year customer and turned him into somebody whose ONLY
subsequent purchases were a Mac laptop for my daughter when she
entered art school and an iPad for my wife (then infuriated me yet
again when I went to the Apple store to get it set to MY Apple account
after my wife died - and I had her death certificate and copy of her
will which proved I was both her executor and the heir to the iPad)

So DAMN Apple forever!

Rick

Jan 12, 2024, 10:29:13 AMJan 12
"The Horny Goat" wrote in message
This reminds me that the first computer I ever used back in the early 70s
(yes, I am THAT old) was called a GE 210, which was used mostly by banks.
The 210 was a giant first-generation mainframe with vacuum tubes which took
up an entire room (you can read a description here:
https://d1yx3ys82bpsa0.cloudfront.net/brochures/ge.210.1959.102621664.pdf ).

It was already more than a decade old when I started using it, and you'll be
(un)impressed to learn it had 4K of total memory. Yes, 4K as in 4000 memory
locations which you had to keep in mind when writing a program using machine
language, which I occasionally did. There were no discs - all input was via
paper tape or through MICR readers that would read checks, and the primary
storage were these massively heavy tapes which were on metal reels. You can
see a glimpse of them I the brochure, but the pictures don't convey how
heavy they were. As a point of comparison, I also worked on the IBM 360 and
370 during this time, which were third generation machines with more like 64
to 128K memory - and these also had mag tapes, but they were on plastic
reels and their weight was comparable to a couple of VHS tapes. The GE
tapes were on what felt like steel reels and they were very heavy. If I had
to carry more than 5 of the at a time, I'd probably get a hernia.

Good times.

Brian Smith

Jan 12, 2024, 1:44:18 PMJan 12
We have an update! I actually saw this thanks to a tweet from Dalton.

https://twitter.com/the_real_coach/status/1745850038352576736

--
Brian

Rick

Jan 12, 2024, 10:43:20 PMJan 12
"Brian Smith" wrote in message
There have also been a few additional articles on this:

https://www.lassennews.com/wade-to-play-the-national-anthem-at-a-buffalo-bills-game-at-10-a-m-sunday-on-cbs

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2024/1/12/24032291/steelers-vs-bills-national-anthem-nfl-playoffs-wild-card-national-anthem-performer-coach-wade

https://susanvillestuff.com/ben-wades-trumpet-is-buffalo-bills-football-teams-secret-weapon/

And best of all, from the official Buffalo Bills website:

https://www.buffalobills.com/game-day/

(scroll down to Details)

I'm amazed by all this and can't wait to see how he does!

Brian Smith

Jan 12, 2024, 11:39:37 PMJan 12
Thanks for posting those links especially the first one. What a crazy story! I was looking for stories earlier in the week but couldn't find anything. Kind of sucks the weather's going to be cold. I hope he does well and the Bills win.

--
Brian

Rick

Jan 13, 2024, 12:08:34 AMJan 13
"Brian Smith" wrote in message
I have never particularly liked Coach, but his excitement over getting this
gig is clearly genuine and I hope he does well.

Yeah, the weather will be cold (mid-20s or so) but not as bad as the
KC-Miami game Saturday night where they will likely be below zero.
Hopefully Coach can rise to the occasion and give a great performance.

Rick

Jan 13, 2024, 12:59:18 PMJan 13
"Brian Smith" wrote in message
Game is now being rescheduled due to weather, something I've never heard of
in six decades of watching pro football. Don't know if this will affect
Coach's planned performance. I assume he'll make himself available for
Monday.

https://tvline.com/news/bills-steelers-wild-card-playoff-game-delayed-new-date-1235112574/

Brian Smith

Jan 13, 2024, 3:09:26 PMJan 13
This is not the first time an NFL game has been postponed due to weather.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/how-many-times-have-nfl-games-been-postponed-or-canceled-due-to-bad-weather/ar-AA1mVaLt

It might be a first for a governor postponing a game. With Monday being a holiday hopefully that makes it easier for Coach to stick around. I can't see him giving up this opportunity.

--
Brian

Rick

Jan 13, 2024, 4:10:51 PMJan 13
"Brian Smith" wrote in message
Thanks for the list. I actually meant to say I don't remember a game being
postponed to another day due to winter weather like cold or snowstorm. I
remember the many games that were rescheduled due to hurricanes and stadium
damage, etc.

I do see a couple of games on the list that were rescheduled to another day
due to snowstorms, including one that was apparently moved from a Sunday to
Tuesday. That's pretty wild and I don't remember that at all.

Brian Smith

Jan 13, 2024, 4:55:25 PMJan 13
Update from Coach. He's still playing on Monday!

https://twitter.com/the_real_coach/status/1746258303284392018

--
Brian

Brian Smith

Jan 13, 2024, 10:10:12 PMJan 13
Another plug from Coach at the Sabres game. And the Sabres tweeted the video out. If the Bills win Coach is going to be a big celebrity in Buffalo!

https://twitter.com/the_real_coach/status/1746335799652569399

--
Brian

Brian Smith

Jan 16, 2024, 2:44:41 AMJan 16
Apparently, CBS did not broadcast the national anthem. This is the best footage I've found but I'm sure there's better out there.

https://twitter.com/voelkswaggin126/status/1747071701966319784

Here's a great photo of Coach playing the anthem.

https://twitter.com/the_real_coach/status/1747077208881955222

--
Brian

The Horny Goat

Jan 16, 2024, 12:54:27 PMJan 16
On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 16:10:28 -0500, "Rick" <ri...@nospam.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the list. I actually meant to say I don't remember a game being
>postponed to another day due to winter weather like cold or snowstorm. I
>remember the many games that were rescheduled due to hurricanes and stadium
>damage, etc.
>
>I do see a couple of games on the list that were rescheduled to another day
>due to snowstorms, including one that was apparently moved from a Sunday to
>Tuesday. That's pretty wild and I don't remember that at all.

There was a Canadian Football League championship game when I was a
wee tyke in the 60s that the last 8 minutes or so were played the next
day due to fog.

I remember another game where the press box window iced up and one
reporter was crying the blues since he had brought a small bottle of
whiskey to the game to keep him warm and the other reporters insisted
he use his whiskey to de-ice the press box.

I remember another game (playoffs, not championship final) where the
broadcaster apparently could see the game but the TV feed was
completely whited out due to snow. Apparently the referee felt the
visibility was good enough at field level to be safe for play as he
let the game continue. (Apparently the temperature was high 20s / low
30s and coming down as 'powder')

Obviously Survivor will never be played under those conditions - in
one of Mark Burnett's books he specified what he considered ideal
conditions - and mentioned that Survivor Marquesas (season 4?) was
supposed to be played in Jordan near Petra but was hurriedly moved as
production was supposed to start early October 2001 and of course
after 9/11 no insurance company would insure any site within 1000
miles of the Middle East. Burnett figured that was probably the most
challenging Survivor ever from a production point of view as they
started only 2 days behind the original schedule. (Again, source from
one of Burnett's books read 10+ years ago can't recall which)