Planet codenames

Andy K.

Oct 16, 2012, 8:42:00 AM10/16/12
Is anyone else annoyed at the Pnumbernumbernumbernumber... designation codes
they give to various planets on the show, and probably even more annoyed at
how everyone seems to remember all of them, even when they're referring to
events which happened several years (show seasons) ago? It just seems...
inhuman, I guess.

--
A.

Your Name

Oct 16, 2012, 4:14:03 PM10/16/12
In article <20121016144200.6...@gmail.com>, "Andy K."
It's no harder then you remembering phone numbers, or people's names and
birthdays. :-\

Andy K.

Oct 16, 2012, 7:14:32 PM10/16/12
If you say so. All of these are used at least once per year, and are tied to
someone you hold dear. On the show, however, you often hear lines like
"remember few years ago when we encountered <whatever> on planet P45344...".
Assuming SG-1 went to hundreds of these worlds over the course of the series,
they must have computer-like memories. :)

--
A.

Your Name

Oct 17, 2012, 1:45:19 AM10/17/12
In article <20121017011432.3...@gmail.com>, "Andy K."
<andy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 09:14:03 +1300
> Your...@YourISP.com (Your Name) wrote:
> > In article <20121016144200.6...@gmail.com>, "Andy K."
> > <andy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Is anyone else annoyed at the Pnumbernumbernumbernumber... designation
> > > codes they give to various planets on the show, and probably even more
> > > annoyed at how everyone seems to remember all of them, even when they're
> > > referring to events which happened several years (show seasons) ago? It
> > > just seems... inhuman, I guess.
> >
> > It's no harder then you remembering phone numbers, or people's names and
> > birthdays. :-\
>
> If you say so. All of these are used at least once per year, and are tied to
> someone you hold dear. On the show, however, you often hear lines like
> "remember few years ago when we encountered <whatever> on planet P45344...".
> Assuming SG-1 went to hundreds of these worlds over the course of the series,
> they must have computer-like memories. :)

Not really. They're remembering a specific event that happened on that
planet ... they aren't rattling off planet numbers simply for fun. It's no
different to you remembering your wedding date, child's date of birth,
where you were when a mega-celebrity you liked died, etc.

Besides, it's a TV show and the actors are just saying what is written in
the script - for all they know the numbers could be completely wrong. :-)

szr

Jul 16, 2013, 1:25:02 PM7/16/13
Also, this is a military setting. Remembering obscure-sounding codes
probably isn't out of the norm for people like that.

-szr