Merlin's Weapon Exploding

NoOne

May 8, 2013, 1:07:23 AM5/8/13
I really liked StarGate SG-1. I have all 10 Seasons on DVD, plus all 3
movies. There are very few shows that last 10 Seasons, so obvious there was
a huge FanBase.

Something that bothers me, and really bothers me everything I think of it,
is the failure to show Merlin's Weapon actually exploding! Like c'mon, they
practically devoted 2 whole Seasons about the Ori, and specifically centered
the Plot Story of > 5 < episodes around Merlin's Weapon to kill off the
Ori, and it showed the Weapon starting to charge up, then it went through
the StarGate, then.......a bit fat nothing! They should have had the
Largest, Galaxy encompassing explosion of all time for the end of Merlin's
Weapon and the end of the Series. I thought it would show in the last
Episode, "Unending", but no way. Then I thought they might show a flashback
of this fantastic explosion in the movie to finish off all the loose ends of
the Ori......

.....But nothing! Anyone else here disappointed in this?

David

May 8, 2013, 6:10:19 PM5/8/13
"NoOne" wrote in message news:s4lit.54983$zt4....@newsfe15.iad...
Yeah, kind of a letdown, especially after all the CGI effects for
everything else.
Maybe the writers couldn't figure out how to make it look like the viewers
would expect it to.
Or maybe coming at the almost end of the series they just ran out of money.
Or maybe somebody just didn’t care.

NoOne

May 12, 2013, 6:31:14 PM5/12/13
> Yeah, kind of a letdown, especially after all the CGI effects for
> everything else. Maybe the writers couldn't figure out how to make it look
> like the viewers would expect it to. Or maybe coming at the almost end of
> the series they just ran out of money.
> Or maybe somebody just didn’t care.

You are definitely right, that this was a Let-Down. Very few shows
make it to 10 Seasons, and in my mind, I think it should of went out
with a bang. Merlin's Weapon could of been that. The greatest
explosion of all time, encompassing something like an EM Pulse,
covering the entire Pegasus Galaxy. CGI costs are not that much
anymore, and I really think they let down the millions of Fans that
carried the show for 10 years. I hate to think that no one in charge
cared. As far as I think, the failure to show Merlin's Weapon was
the greatest over-sight in any Series I have ever seen. I also thought
the final episode of The Sopranos could of been better too, but it
didn't matter as much as the possible explosion.

szr

May 17, 2013, 7:51:53 PM5/17/13
I think it would have been difficult to have an all out explosion in the
same way one might think of when it comes to regular ordinance,
especially when you consider that the Ori, like any other ascended,
exist in a higher plain of existence, which is where the weapon was
meant to act upon.

This higher plain of existence has been shown in episodes to not be
directly comprehensible to non-ascended beings like humans, but rather
manifested in a way that can be interpreted by being like us, such as
the diner that Daniel saw in the season 8 episode, Threads (8x18.)

But this was the interpretation that Daniel saw, which I believe was
based from his own memories (perhaps his brain trying to make sense of
world that in reality is not limited by 3 dimensions.) Trying to use
this same plot device just to show an explosion probably wouldn't make
sense due to the lack of an actual person for which we can observe a
interpretation from.

Lastly, iirc, we don't actually know *how* the weapon actually
eradicates ascended beings. It might not even be anything like an
explosion, as we think of them. For all we know it could have been the
ascended equivalent of a deadly and fast acting containment of some
sort, or perhaps some form of resonance generator, etc, etc.

IMHO, the way this was handled may not have been CGI or explosion
packed, but it seemed to be the most realistic portrayal, at least
without feeling forced in some way.

If anyone has any other theories or thinks I've completely wrong in some
way, I more than welcome the input. Thanks.

--
szr

ProfIJM

Aug 29, 2013, 10:13:40 PM8/29/13
On 12/05/13 23:31, NoOne wrote:
>> Yeah, kind of a letdown, especially after all the CGI effects
>> for everything else. Maybe the writers couldn't figure out how to make
>> it look like the viewers would expect it to. Or maybe coming at the
>> almost end of the series they just ran out of money.
>> Or maybe somebody just didn’t care.
>
> You are definitely right, that this was a Let-Down. Very few shows
> make it to 10 Seasons, and in my mind, I think it should of went out
> with a bang. Merlin's Weapon could of been that. The greatest
> explosion of all time, encompassing something like an EM Pulse,
> covering the entire Pegasus Galaxy.

That would be quite a boring twenty-thousand year long episode.