Fair Haven Spoiler Nits

Tim Bruening

Apr 13, 2005, 3:07:19 AM4/13/05

Just 15 hours before a shock wave generated by the collision of two
neutron stars hits Voyager, the crew discovers the shock wave, which is
traveling at 200,000 kilometers/sec and has spread over 3.6 lightyears.
Why didn't Voyager's sensors detect the shockwave a lot further away?

When the Michael Sullivan Hologram starts a bar brawl after losing
Janeway, why don't any of the Voyager crewmembers present yell "FREEZE
PROGRAM!? After the brawl, Paris and Kim are treated for injuries
suffered during the brawl. How did they get injured? Shouldn't the
holodeck safety protocols have prevented Paris and Kim from being
injured by holographic fists?

Near the end, a Voyager crewmember says that the inner edge of the shock
wave is 1,000 kilometers from Voyager. A few seconds later, its 500
kilometers from Voyager. However, the shock wave is traveling at
200,000 kilometers a second, and Voyager stands still for most of the
episode. Therefore, the last thousand kilometers of the shock wave
should have passed Voyager in 1/200th of a second, not enough time for
the crewmember to even begin to say how far the edge of the shock wave
is from Voyager.

ANIM8Rfsk

Apr 13, 2005, 9:34:49 AM4/13/05
in article 425CC527...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us, Tim Bruening at
tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us wrote on 4/13/05 12:07 AM:

Because Voyager sucks.

> When the Michael Sullivan Hologram starts a bar brawl after losing
> Janeway, why don't any of the Voyager crewmembers present yell "FREEZE
> PROGRAM!?

Because Voyager sucks.

After the brawl, Paris and Kim are treated for injuries
> suffered during the brawl. How did they get injured? Shouldn't the
> holodeck safety protocols have prevented Paris and Kim from being
> injured by holographic fists?

Is this your first time watching a Trek series made in the last 20 years?

> Near the end, a Voyager crewmember says that the inner edge of the shock
> wave is 1,000 kilometers from Voyager. A few seconds later, its 500
> kilometers from Voyager. However, the shock wave is traveling at
> 200,000 kilometers a second, and Voyager stands still for most of the
> episode. Therefore, the last thousand kilometers of the shock wave
> should have passed Voyager in 1/200th of a second, not enough time for
> the crewmember to even begin to say how far the edge of the shock wave
> is from Voyager.

Because Voyager sucks.

Nightspirit

Apr 13, 2005, 9:52:26 AM4/13/05
> light-years. Why didn't Voyager's sensors detect the shockwave a lot

> further away?
>
> When the Michael Sullivan Hologram starts a bar brawl after losing
> Janeway, why don't any of the Voyager crewmembers present yell
> "FREEZE
> PROGRAM!? After the brawl, Paris and Kim are treated for injuries
> suffered during the brawl. How did they get injured? Shouldn't the
> holodeck safety protocols have prevented Paris and Kim from being
> injured by holographic fists?
>
> Near the end, a Voyager crewmember says that the inner edge of the
> shock wave is 1,000 kilometers from Voyager. A few seconds later,
> its 500 kilometers from Voyager. However, the shock wave is
> traveling at 200,000 kilometers a second, and Voyager stands still
> for most of the episode. Therefore, the last thousand kilometers of
> the shock wave should have passed Voyager in 1/200th of a second,
> not
> enough time for the crewmember to even begin to say how far the edge
> of the shock wave is from Voyager.

Tim, there are certain Voyager Episodes that many to wish not to
discuss and this is one of them. Spirit Folk is another. The nits
you mention are just some of the reasons.

--
---
Have Fun,

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~hipdale2/Riverton_Common.HTML

BSG Blog: http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cylon12/

Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and quite
good with ketchup.

Bozo the Evil Klown

Apr 13, 2005, 5:51:31 PM4/13/05

The crew of the Starship Voyager aren't the sort of paragons of
efficiancy you expect after watching shows like "Red Dwarf" and "Far
Out Space Nuts."

More to the point, why didn't the ship just outrun the frelling
shockwave????? The shockwave travels slower than light, warp drive
travels *faster* than light. The crew (and writers) on "Voyager" would
need repeated Krell Brain Boosts to elevate their IQs to moron level.

> When the Michael Sullivan Hologram starts a bar brawl after losing
> Janeway, why don't any of the Voyager crewmembers present yell
"FREEZE
> PROGRAM!? After the brawl, Paris and Kim are treated for injuries
> suffered during the brawl. How did they get injured? Shouldn't the
> holodeck safety protocols have prevented Paris and Kim from being
> injured by holographic fists?

There are no "holodeck safety protocols." The manufacturer of the
holodecks just made up that bit of treknobabble to get Starfleet to buy
their jumped-up video games, since that was one of the weeks they were
using money in The Future.

> Near the end, a Voyager crewmember says that the inner edge of the
shock
> wave is 1,000 kilometers from Voyager. A few seconds later, its 500
> kilometers from Voyager. However, the shock wave is traveling at
> 200,000 kilometers a second, and Voyager stands still for most of the
> episode. Therefore, the last thousand kilometers of the shock wave
> should have passed Voyager in 1/200th of a second, not enough time
for
> the crewmember to even begin to say how far the edge of the shock
wave
> is from Voyager.

Again, bear in mind that Voyager is the franchise's "short starship."
This is the same crew that always thinks it's faster to travel
*through* dangerous space anomalies at sublight speed rather than
warping around them at a thousand times the speed of light.

And be careful watching the reruns; I've seen the best minds in Trek
fandom turned to g'agh by the atrocity they made as a sequel to this
shit: "Spirit Folk."

*****
The Joker in the Eeeeeeevil Cabal Deck of Cards.

Once we lose magnetic containment, Mr. Antimatter is no longer our
friend.

tsbr...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2017, 6:46:01 PM1/7/17
I was hoping for something more informative.

Tim Bruening

Apr 3, 2017, 6:15:12 PM4/3/17
The neutron radiation from the shockwave had already disabled the warp drive.

But Voyager could still generate an inverse warp field. How could it do that with its warp drive disabled?

tsbr...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2017, 6:39:05 PM4/3/17
Did Janeway boink that holographic Irish barkeep silly?

tsbr...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2017, 4:01:11 PM7/29/17
On Wednesday, April 13, 2005 at 2:51:31 PM UTC-7, Bozo the Evil Klown wrote:
> Tim Bruening wrote:

> > When the Michael Sullivan Hologram starts a bar brawl after losing
> > Janeway, why don't any of the Voyager crewmembers present yell
> "FREEZE
> > PROGRAM!? After the brawl, Paris and Kim are treated for injuries
> > suffered during the brawl. How did they get injured? Shouldn't the
> > holodeck safety protocols have prevented Paris and Kim from being
> > injured by holographic fists?
> >

> There are no "holodeck safety protocols." The manufacturer of the
> holodecks just made up that bit of treknobabble to get Starfleet to buy
> their jumped-up video games, since that was one of the weeks they were
> using money in The Future.

I have seen holodeck safeguards referred to on many occasions. If hey didn't exist, injuries would be more common than hey are.

Daniel60

Jul 30, 2017, 5:41:11 AM7/30/17
Tim, why have you resurrected this thread from back in 2005??

Daniel

Tim Bruening

Nov 27, 2017, 6:06:25 PM11/27/17
At the end, Voyager uses energy from the holodeck to help power a deflector beam to escape from a shock wave. This means that holodeck energy IS compatible with Voyager's regular systems, which means that we should see holodeck usage be rationed when energy is low!

At the start of the series, it was said that the holodeck energy was NOT compatible with the regular systems, so there no need to ration it.