Just saw "PROTOTYPE"

Robrey

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
I saw an old Voyager that I'd never seen before, Season Two's
"PROTOTYPE". For some reason I had thought I'd seen this ep before,
from the description, but when I saw it, I realized I'd never had, so it
was all new to me.

It was a pretty good ep, I like B'Elanna, and this gave her something
to work with, and show her sharp wit and rugged determination. It also
reminded of the days when the Prime Directive was more of a plot device
than a Prime Suggestion. The look on B'Elanna's face when she realized
this race had slaughtered the "builders" was priceless.

There were more than a few holes, like just why didn't any of them
think of pursuing B'Elanna when she escaped? IIRC warp engines were
off-line, so they should have been able to catch her easily...

However, for the most part I enjoyed his ep, it was a nice reminder of
some of the better parts of early Voyager. Besides, Tom got to be the
hero! <g>

One last note: Something DID bug me about this ep though: It reminded
me of a Dr. Who ep I saw some twenty years ago. It was one where the
Doctor was recruited by both sides of a war (The Daleks and...Silver
Centurians?...something like that) because although their computer minds
were 'superior' to his, they were unable to overcome the limitations of
their programming. Thus they needed The Doctor to throw in a chaotic
streak, because all of their moves were predicted in advance by their
opposition computer minds. Probably not a good summary, but I saw it a
long time ago...does anyone recall what ep that was? Did that occur to
when watching "PROTOTYPE" ?

Cordially,
Robrey

--

"It is not the critic who counts, not the one who points out
how the strong man stumbled or how the doer of deeds might have done

--Theodore Roosevelt, 1899

MikeyS711

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
I just saw Prototype too but I don't remember The Doctor being on anymore
than when Belanna met him in sickbay with her pajamas on. My local channel
may get a call from me tomorrow because I think they cut scenes and put too
many commercials.

I agree with you assesment of the show for the same reasons you put. I also
enjoyed Torres' mention of Data.

Well, glad to see a post about the weekly rerun.

Best,

Mike

Robrey <rob...@mailbag.com> wrote in message

MikeyS711

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
I just realized you were talking about the Dr. Who episode. LOL!

Anyway...

Mike

MikeyS711 <Mike...@aol.com> wrote in message

Citizen G'Kar

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00

Robrey <rob...@mailbag.com> wrote

> One last note: Something DID bug me about this ep though: It reminded
> me of a Dr. Who ep I saw some twenty years ago. It was one where the
> Doctor was recruited by both sides of a war (The Daleks and...Silver
> Centurians?...something like that)

Daleks and Movellans, in Destiny Of The Daleks.

"Oh, go away. Repress someone else."

Athena7843

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
From: Robrey:

>I saw an old Voyager that I'd never seen before, Season Two's
>"PROTOTYPE". For some reason I had thought I'd seen this ep before,
>from the description, but when I saw it, I realized I'd never had, so it
>was all new to me.
>
> It was a pretty good ep, I like B'Elanna, and this gave her something
>to work with, and show her sharp wit and rugged determination. It also
>reminded of the days when the Prime Directive was more of a plot device
>than a Prime Suggestion. The look on B'Elanna's face when she realized
>this race had slaughtered the "builders" was priceless.

I really liked B'Elanna in this episode. Roxann Dawson did some great work,
IMO. B'Elanna's reaction when her prototype 'came-to-life' was so intense, it
moved me in a way. Man, I miss those days!

> There were more than a few holes, like just why didn't any of them
>think of pursuing B'Elanna when she escaped? IIRC warp engines were
>off-line, so they should have been able to catch her easily...

Now, c'mon don't let a valid point get in the way of a good yarn, Rob. You do
remember what show this is don't ya? <g>

> However, for the most part I enjoyed his ep, it was a nice reminder of
>some of the better parts of early Voyager. Besides, Tom got to be the
>hero! <g>

LOL...still like Chakotay's line to him tho...'You don't mind if the rest of us
help you out, Mr. Paris'....but I liked Tom like this. They wrote him better,
hell, they wrote all of them better, then.

Thena

Robrey

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
Athena7843 wrote:

> From: Robrey:
>
> >I saw an old Voyager that I'd never seen before, Season Two's
> >"PROTOTYPE". For some reason I had thought I'd seen this ep before,
> >from the description, but when I saw it, I realized I'd never had, so it
> >was all new to me.
> >
> > It was a pretty good ep, I like B'Elanna, and this gave her something
> >to work with, and show her sharp wit and rugged determination. It also
> >reminded of the days when the Prime Directive was more of a plot device
> >than a Prime Suggestion. The look on B'Elanna's face when she realized
> >this race had slaughtered the "builders" was priceless.
>
> I really liked B'Elanna in this episode. Roxann Dawson did some great work,
> IMO. B'Elanna's reaction when her prototype 'came-to-life' was so intense, it
> moved me in a way. Man, I miss those days!

Me too, in some ways, I missed most of them! <g> After "THRESHOLD" I
slammed off my TV and vowed never to watch it again, though that lasted
only until late third season. (with the occasional relapse) Many of
them I've only seen in reruns, if at all. Though I miss some of that
early adventure spirit when the characters were fresh, I don't miss the
Kazon...

> > There were more than a few holes, like just why didn't any of them
> >think of pursuing B'Elanna when she escaped? IIRC warp engines were
> >off-line, so they should have been able to catch her easily...
>
> Now, c'mon don't let a valid point get in the way of a good yarn, Rob. You do
> remember what show this is don't ya? <g>

Well I'm usually pretty forgiving, but they seemed so interested in her
before, they even kidnapped her! It struck me as odd they just let her
slip away after she'd proven she could resurrect their race...

> > However, for the most part I enjoyed his ep, it was a nice reminder of
> >some of the better parts of early Voyager. Besides, Tom got to be the
> >hero! <g>
>
> LOL...still like Chakotay's line to him tho...'You don't mind if the rest of us
> help you out, Mr. Paris'....but I liked Tom like this. They wrote him better,
> hell, they wrote all of them better, then.

You may very well be right, though I think some of the stories in
Season Four and Five were better.

Cordially,
Robrey

> Thena

Robrey

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
Citizen G'Kar wrote:

> Robrey <rob...@mailbag.com> wrote
> > One last note: Something DID bug me about this ep though: It reminded
> > me of a Dr. Who ep I saw some twenty years ago. It was one where the
> > Doctor was recruited by both sides of a war (The Daleks and...Silver
> > Centurians?...something like that)
>
> Daleks and Movellans, in Destiny Of The Daleks

Thanks CG!

Cordially,
Robrey

tsbr...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2017, 7:50:15 PM2/22/17
On Sunday, April 2, 2000 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-7, Robrey wrote:
> I saw an old Voyager that I'd never seen before, Season Two's
> "PROTOTYPE". For some reason I had thought I'd seen this ep before,
> from the description, but when I saw it, I realized I'd never had, so it
> was all new to me.
>
> It was a pretty good ep, I like B'Elanna, and this gave her something
> to work with, and show her sharp wit and rugged determination. It also
> reminded of the days when the Prime Directive was more of a plot device
> than a Prime Suggestion. The look on B'Elanna's face when she realized
> this race had slaughtered the "builders" was priceless.
>
> There were more than a few holes, like just why didn't any of them
> think of pursuing B'Elanna when she escaped? IIRC warp engines were
> off-line, so they should have been able to catch her easily...

The two robot ships were too busy fighting each other to worry about Torres.

But if that robot that watched Torres build the prototype survives the battle, it might be able to build another prototype.

tsbr...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2018, 6:58:05 PM3/13/18
B'Elanna has to adjust a "Flux Capacitor" to get the prototype working. Can prototype time travel?