Nightingale's B-Story

Wavemaker

Nov 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/25/00
Some obligatory spoiler space:

-

At first, I found it pretty cringe worthy, but I have to admit laughing
at the tricorder scene... though we kinda saw that coming after Icheb's
conversation with the Doc.

A question, though:

What did you think of the way B'Elanna handled Icheb's impression that
she had a crush on him?

Wavemaker

Nov 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/25/00

"Shammie" wrote:
> >From: "Wavemaker"

> >Some obligatory spoiler space:

> >-
> >

> >What did you think of the way B'Elanna handled Icheb's impression
that
> >she had a crush on him?
>
> Absolutely ridiculous. She never should have patronized him like that
> pretending to go along with it. Not only is it totally dishonest, but
she just
> helps the poor twerp perpetuate false notions about women and it keeps
him
> clueless.

I have to agree. It was a cutesy way of handling it, but in the end it
really wasn't healthy for Icheb, IMO.

Shammie

Nov 26, 2000, 12:29:25 AM11/26/00

Mohap

Nov 26, 2000, 1:08:24 AM11/26/00

"Wavemaker" <wave...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> Some obligatory spoiler space:

> -
>
> At first, I found it pretty cringe worthy, but I have to admit laughing
> at the tricorder scene... though we kinda saw that coming after Icheb's
> conversation with the Doc.
>
> A question, though:
>
> What did you think of the way B'Elanna handled Icheb's impression that
> she had a crush on him?

I can't blame Icheb here. Belanna was being sorta provocative. Obviously
Roxann Dawson had to put some exaggeration in the role to make it seem
funnier but I have to say if it was real life and I was in Icheb's shoes I
would have thought she was coming on to me.

Jason Shea

Nov 26, 2000, 1:15:10 AM11/26/00

"Wavemaker" <wave...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> Some obligatory spoiler space:

> -
>
> At first, I found it pretty cringe worthy, but I have to admit laughing
> at the tricorder scene... though we kinda saw that coming after Icheb's
> conversation with the Doc.
>
> A question, though:
>
> What did you think of the way B'Elanna handled Icheb's impression that
> she had a crush on him?

I agree with shammie, the little shit aint gonna learn a thing with her
patronizing him like that... if i was her, i would have bitch-slapped him.

David B.

Nov 26, 2000, 1:18:58 AM11/26/00
Wavemaker wrote:

> Some obligatory spoiler space:

> -
>
> At first, I found it pretty cringe worthy, but I have to admit laughing
> at the tricorder scene... though we kinda saw that coming after Icheb's
> conversation with the Doc.
>
> A question, though:
>
> What did you think of the way B'Elanna handled Icheb's impression that
> she had a crush on him?

She should've slapped him like any Klingon would.

Wavemaker

Nov 26, 2000, 1:21:09 AM11/26/00

"Mohap" wrote:

This is interesting.

Ok, let's expand the question: Did B'Elanna unknowingly lead him on? Was
Icheb justified in suspecting that B'Elanna was coming on to him?

Wavemaker

Nov 26, 2000, 1:19:07 AM11/26/00

But he didn't make a pass at her or anything. He was guileless, don't
you think? I do agree that she should have set him right, though.

Jason Shea

Nov 26, 2000, 1:51:12 AM11/26/00

"Mohap" <NOSPAMa...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
thats fair enough if he were of an "acceptable" age, he may have had reason
to think she was interested, but he is just a kid.

David B.

Nov 26, 2000, 2:19:59 AM11/26/00

I was just being a smart ass there.

> I do agree that she should have set him right, though.

She should have. He'll do it again since he never learned anything from
the way she handled it. She should've set him straight no matter how
painful it would be to do so.

Er

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00

David B. <both...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

SOMEBODY has to set him straight! Or do you think this kind of situation is
just going to come up again? But what about Icheb? He's clearly adolescent,
and going to be having all sorts of hormonal urges, etc. There's really no
one on the ship who's contemporary for him, age-wise. Naomi Wildman is too
young and everyone else is too old. It could be rough.

Shammie

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
>From: "Er" ercape

>SOMEBODY has to set him straight! Or do you think this kind of situation is
>just going to come up again?

Of course it is! And now the little creep is probably going to be going around
with his little tricorder scanning women all over the ship and assume that
every one with elevated circulation is hot for him! hahahahaaaaaaaaa I'd like
to see him try that on me.

Shammie

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
>From: "Mohap"

> Some obligatory spoiler space:

>but I have to say if it was real life and I was in Icheb's shoes I
>would have thought she was coming on to me.

Yes, agreed. If I were B'Elanna I would have sensed *immediately* that this
young dweeb was attracted to me and I would have gone out of my way to do and
say things to head him off at the pass. That way it makes things clear without
having to get to the point of him having to be embarrassed later. I've been
down this road and that's the only way. Torres was either *clueless* or she
*liked* knowing that Icheb was hot for her, maybe her marriage sucks that
badly, gee ya think?

Shammie

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
>From: "Jason Shea"

>@news.randori.com...
>> Some obligatory spoiler space:

. if i was her, i would have bitch-slapped him.

Except that at that point he was so convinced she wanted him that he would have
interpreted as Klingon foreplay.
EW!

Arlie

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
>> Torres was either *clueless* or she
*liked* knowing that Icheb was hot for her, maybe her marriage sucks that
badly, gee ya think? <<

Maybe she really is clueless. I could see her growing up truly believing she's
unattractive. Too Klingon for human tastes, too human for Klingon tastes.
Perhaps, even now, the idea that someone might find her attractive is foreign
to her.

-- Arlie

If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Shammie

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
>From: arlie88

>>> Torres was either *clueless* or she
>*liked* knowing that Icheb was hot for her, maybe her marriage sucks that
>badly, gee ya think? <<

>Maybe she really is clueless. I could see her growing up truly believing
>she's
>unattractive.

I grew up truly believing I was unattractive. That's no excuse. And believe me
it stays with you as an adult even when you know it's not true anymore.

>Perhaps, even now, the idea that someone might find her attractive is foreign
>to her.

I don't buy it. I think she liked his attention. I will go farther and say I
think she was even asking for it. And it was all fine and good until he brought
it up in the open. Then of course she had to deny it, both to him and to
herself.

Jason Shea

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00

"Shammie" <sham...@aol.compizzagrl> wrote in message
> >From: "Jason Shea"

> >@news.randori.com...
> >> Some obligatory spoiler space:

> . if i was her, i would have bitch-slapped him.
>
> Except that at that point he was so convinced she wanted him that he would
have
> interpreted as Klingon foreplay.
> EW!

I guess she cant win?

Shammie

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
>From: "Jason Shea"

>> . if i was her, i would have bitch-slapped him.
>>
>> Except that at that point he was so convinced she wanted him that he would
>have
>> interpreted as Klingon foreplay.
>> EW!
>>
>I guess she cant win?

Well she could have dragged him into a Jeffries Tube and shagged him! I'm sure
she wanted to.

Alma3210

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
"Wavemaker" wave...@my-deja.com wrote:

It seemed like she was touching him at every opportunity. I've seen people get
accused of sexual harrassment for less provocative behavior than that.

I don't think she was trying to lead him on, but if she were trying I don't
think she would have acted much differently. Maybe she was just trying to keep
him away from Tom while Harry was on the away mission.

Andrea

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00

Alma3210 said:

> It seemed like she was touching him at every opportunity. I've seen people
get
> accused of sexual harrassment for less provocative behavior than that.
>
> I don't think she was trying to lead him on, but if she were trying I
don't
> think she would have acted much differently. Maybe she was just trying to
keep
> him away from Tom while Harry was on the away mission.

LOL!!

Andrea :)

Julianna Feigl

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
On Sat, 25 Nov 2000 23:30:31 -0600, "Wavemaker"
<wave...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>I have to agree. It was a cutesy way of handling it, but in the end it
>really wasn't healthy for Icheb, IMO.

For all I care she could have strangled the little nuisance...

Julianna
--------
Tuvok:
The main reason to watch Voyager!

Wickeddoll

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00

"Wavemaker" <wave...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> Some obligatory spoiler space:

> -
>
> At first, I found it pretty cringe worthy, but I have to admit laughing
> at the tricorder scene... though we kinda saw that coming after Icheb's
> conversation with the Doc.
>
> A question, though:
>
> What did you think of the way B'Elanna handled Icheb's impression that
> she had a crush on him?

I thought it was perfect. He wasn't about to believe she wasn't hot for
him. Besides, it was good for his young self-esteem

Natalie

Arlie

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
>> Maybe she was just trying to keep
him away from Tom while Harry was on the away mission. <<

ROFLMAO!

Gisele La Roche

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
Wavemaker wave...@my-deja.com wrote in
<wS0U5.4091$Q142.20...@news.randori.com>:

>Some obligatory spoiler space:

>-
>
>At first, I found it pretty cringe worthy, but I have to admit
laughing
>at the tricorder scene... though we kinda saw that coming after
Icheb's
>conversation with the Doc.
>
>A question, though:
>
>What did you think of the way B'Elanna handled Icheb's impression
that
>she had a crush on him?

I think she was trying to be nice to him because she felt sorry for
him. He is the only teenager on board after all with no real
friends. But when it went too far and the clueless little creep
with an overblown ego interpreted her friendliness as something more
than it was, I don't think she should have let him think he was
right. She should have made it clear that there is a difference
between friendship and romance. I think she did a disservice to him
by not telling him the truth. Any other woman that tries to be
friends with him will go through the same thing. Anyhow, I think
this sub-plot was just to emphasize the "teenage" nature of this
episode. Harry was shown as an oh so eternally young and inept
ensign once again as well.............blech.

Gisele

--If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing would get done.--

Laura

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
"Wavemaker" <wave...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> Some obligatory spoiler space:

> -
>
> At first, I found it pretty cringe worthy, but I have to admit laughing
> at the tricorder scene... though we kinda saw that coming after Icheb's
> conversation with the Doc.
>
> A question, though:
>
> What did you think of the way B'Elanna handled Icheb's impression that
> she had a crush on him?

Cliched. Very cliched.

Laura Ware (law...@strato.net)
The situation is critical.
Upload chocolate.

Laura

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
> >From: arlie88

> I grew up truly believing I was unattractive. That's no excuse. And
believe me
> it stays with you as an adult even when you know it's not true anymore.

But you are beautiful!

--
"Structure, logic, function, control. A structure cannot stand without a
foundation. Logic is the foundation of function. Function is the essence

Ta'

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00

"Steve Christianson" <stevechr...@yahoo.com> wrote in
message news:3A21C8...@yahoo.com...

> > You've gotta be kidding!
>

> I did too. Too bad in my case it was true. <g>

So what did you grow up thinking about your personality?
<eg,d&r>

Arlie

Nov 26, 2000, 7:35:34 PM11/26/00
>> I grew up truly believing I was unattractive. <<

You've gotta be kidding!

>> I don't buy it. I think she liked his attention. I will go farther and say I

think she was even asking for it. And it was all fine and good until he brought
it up in the open. Then of course she had to deny it, both to him and to
herself. <<

Wow. I dunno, I just can't read that much into B'Elanna, who seems to be a
pretty straightforward character. Maybe she just thought of him as a child.

Benji, Devil With The Black Dress On

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00
Julianna Feigl <glacierqu...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On Sat, 25 Nov 2000 23:30:31 -0600, "Wavemaker"
> <wave...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> >that
> >>
> >> Absolutely ridiculous. She never should have patronized him like that
> >> pretending to go along with it. Not only is it totally dishonest, but
> >she just
> >> helps the poor twerp perpetuate false notions about women and it keeps
> >him
> >> clueless.
> >
> >I have to agree. It was a cutesy way of handling it, but in the end it
> >really wasn't healthy for Icheb, IMO.
> >

> For all I care she could have strangled the little nuisance...

Or pulled a Lon Suder and beat him to death with the nearest engineering
tool.

--
====================================
"I am the god of f*ck."

Benji, Devil With The Black Dress On

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00
Laura <law...@strato.net> wrote in message

> "Shammie" <sham...@aol.compizzagrl> wrote in message
> > >From: arlie88
>
> > I grew up truly believing I was unattractive. That's no excuse. And
> believe me
> > it stays with you as an adult even when you know it's not true anymore.
>
> But you are beautiful!

Seconded, Shammie, you're just plain HOT!

Benji, Devil With The Black Dress On

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00
Alma3210 <alma...@cs.com.net> wrote in message
> It seemed like she was touching him at every opportunity. I've seen people
get
> accused of sexual harrassment for less provocative behavior than that.
>
> I don't think she was trying to lead him on, but if she were trying I
don't
> think she would have acted much differently. Maybe she was just trying to

keep
> him away from Tom while Harry was on the away mission.

I have to go with this one!! I'm not gay, but I have semi-effective
Gay-dar, and Icheb shows up as a big green blip on the screen.

Benji, Devil With The Black Dress On

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00
Er <erc...@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

> David B. <both...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> SOMEBODY has to set him straight! Or do you think this kind of situation
is
> just going to come up again? But what about Icheb? He's clearly
adolescent,
> and going to be having all sorts of hormonal urges, etc. There's really no
> one on the ship who's contemporary for him, age-wise. Naomi Wildman is too
> young and everyone else is too old. It could be rough.

There's always the holodeck, a pubescent boy's dream :)

Benji, Devil With The Black Dress On

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00
> >From: "Jason Shea"

> >> . if i was her, i would have bitch-slapped him.
> >>
> >> Except that at that point he was so convinced she wanted him that he
would
> >have
> >> interpreted as Klingon foreplay.
> >> EW!
> >>
> >I guess she cant win?
>
> Well she could have dragged him into a Jeffries Tube and shagged him! I'm
sure
> she wanted to.

LOL!

Wickeddoll

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00

> > You've gotta be kidding!
>

> I did too. Too bad in my case it was true. <g>

Is NOT

Natalie

Shammie

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00
>From: "Benji, Devil With The Black Dress On"

>Julianna Feigl wrote

>> For all I care she could have strangled the little nuisance...
>
> Or pulled a Lon Suder and beat him to death with the nearest engineering
>tool.

Both of the above work for me.

>"I am the god of f*ck."

Marilyn Manson? Cute!

Shammie

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00
>From: "Benji, Devil With The Black Dress On"

> Seconded, Shammie, you're just plain HOT!

Get that tricorder away from me!

Shammie

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00
>From: Steve Christianson

>> You've gotta be kidding!
>

>I did too. Too bad in my case it was true. <g>

Hah! Baloney, I say!
No doubt you were one of those blond, blue-eyed Nordic perfectly desirable
little kids that everyone fawned over.

Benji, Devil With The Black Dress On

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00

> >From: "Benji, Devil With The Black Dress On"
>
> >Julianna Feigl wrote
>
> >> For all I care she could have strangled the little nuisance...
> >
> > Or pulled a Lon Suder and beat him to death with the nearest
engineering
> >tool.
>
> Both of the above work for me.
>
> >"I am the god of f*ck."
>
> Marilyn Manson? Cute!

Thanks! I needed a sig to stick with, and this seemed succinct and
humorous :)

Benji, Devil With The Black Dress On

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00

> >From: "Benji, Devil With The Black Dress On"
>
> > Seconded, Shammie, you're just plain HOT!
>
> Get that tricorder away from me!

I was using the image recorder, anyway. <runs away>
Seriously, you know something that the show has never used? I read the
description of my tricorder buttons, and one of them said that a tricorder
can record images. They should use that some time.

--
====================================

"I am the god of f*ck."

Laura

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00

> > You've gotta be kidding!
>

> I did too. Too bad in my case it was true. <g>

::Wonders if she should dare take advantage of this opening:

Shammie

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00
>From: "Benji, Devil With The Black Dress On"

> Seriously, you know something that the show has never used? I read the

>description of my tricorder buttons, and one of them said that a tricorder
>can record images. They should use that some time.

What do you mean, like a digital camera or something?

Benji, Devil With The Black Dress On

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00
Shammie <sham...@aol.compizzagrl> wrote in message

Yeah, that's what it looks like. Well, it may be a feature solely for
the medical tricorder, that's the type I have.

Janet Smith

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00

"Shammie" <sham...@aol.compizzagrl> wrote in message
: >From: "Benji, Devil With The Black Dress On"
:
: >Julianna Feigl wrote

:
: >> For all I care she could have strangled the little nuisance...
: >
: > Or pulled a Lon Suder and beat him to death with the nearest
engineering
: >tool.
:
: Both of the above work for me.

Just give him a Red Shirt and send him on the next away mission, or let him
sub for Kenny on South Park.

Bozo the Evil Klown

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00
>I was using the image recorder, anyway. <runs away>
> Seriously, you know something that the show has never used? I read the
>description of my tricorder buttons, and one of them said that a tricorder
>can record images. They should use that some time.

They used to in TOS, but I don't remember offhand any latter-day Treks using
it.

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"

"I think so..... but even if we *did* turn Brannon Braga's brain around, who
would notice?"

Shammie

Nov 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/28/00
>From: "Janet Smith"

About Icheb

>Just give him a Red Shirt and send him on the next away mission, or let him
>sub for Kenny on South Park.

heeheehee, works for me!

Arlie

Nov 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/28/00
>> It could also be that she simply doesn't clue in to human subtleties in
these things. Klingons tend to express their romantic interests rather
directly. <<

I really like this idea! The aliens on Voyager are all too human these days.

-- Arlie

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Julianna Feigl

Nov 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/28/00
On 28 Nov 2000 22:09:15 GMT, arl...@aol.comNoSpam (Arlie) wrote:

>>> It could also be that she simply doesn't clue in to human subtleties in
>these things. Klingons tend to express their romantic interests rather
>directly. <<
>
>I really like this idea! The aliens on Voyager are all too human these days.

how true...

Julianna
--------
Tuvok:
The main reason to watch Voyager!

Wickeddoll

Nov 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/28/00
LOL

Natalie

"Shammie" <sham...@aol.compizzagrl> wrote in message

Tim Bruening

Nov 30, 2017, 5:55:47 PM11/30/17
On Saturday, November 25, 2000 at 10:08:24 PM UTC-8, Mohap wrote:
> "Wavemaker" <wave...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > Some obligatory spoiler space:

> > -
> >
> > At first, I found it pretty cringe worthy, but I have to admit laughing
> > at the tricorder scene... though we kinda saw that coming after Icheb's
> > conversation with the Doc.
> >
> > A question, though:
> >
> > What did you think of the way B'Elanna handled Icheb's impression that
> > she had a crush on him?
>
> I can't blame Icheb here. Belanna was being sorta provocative. Obviously
> Roxann Dawson had to put some exaggeration in the role to make it seem
> funnier but I have to say if it was real life and I was in Icheb's shoes I
> would have thought she was coming on to me.

Might Icheb file a sexual harassment claim against Belanna?

Tim Bruening

Nov 30, 2017, 5:58:14 PM11/30/17
On Monday, November 27, 2000 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Shammie wrote:
> >From: "Benji, Devil With The Black Dress On"
>
> > Seriously, you know something that the show has never used? I read the
> >description of my tricorder buttons, and one of them said that a tricorder
> >can record images. They should use that some time.
>
> What do you mean, like a digital camera or something?

Or the EMH's holo camera?