Captain Hepburn?

Anthony B. Gilpin

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96
to Laurie M. Campbell

Laurie M. Campbell wrote:

> My mom, who is not a big Star Trek fan but enjoys it when I've got it on
> gave a clue as to who Janeway's character might be molded after. She says
> the voice, the hairstyle, and the manner remind her of Katherine Hepburn.
> Think about it. Can't you imagine Hepburn as Janeway? Red hair, slightly
> raspy voice, . . . it might be that that's who they are modeling her
> after, and if so, that's not a bad choice.
>
> Just something to think about.
>
> Laurie

You must be new to this Newsgroup. Your mom's observation is not exactly new around
here. The comparisons of Kate Mulgrew/Kathryn Janeway to Katharine Hepburn started
almost immediately after Voyager debuted. Many fans (Star Trek *and* Hepburn fans)
believe that the similarities are an annoying affectation.
I can only say that I have noticed Kate Mulgrew ever since her starring turn in
her ill-conceived series debut, "Mrs. Columbo" (in which she was much too young to have
been married to Peter Falk, who never appeared on the show, anyway.) If Kate Mulgrew is
consciously imitating Katharine Hepburn, she's awfully consistent about it, because
she's been doing it in every character she's played for about twenty years.
Another consistency: I believe 'Voyager' is Mulgrew's fourth series as the star.
In Mrs. Columbo, Mulgrew's character was named Kate. When that series was re-tooled into
"Kate Loves a Mystery" (they got rid of the ridiculous "Columbo" angle) she was still
Kate. In "HeartBeat," Mulgrew played a doctor named...Kate. Kathryn Janeway *might* be
called Kate, but no one on the Voyager crew ever addresses Janeway less formally than
"Captain." The only character who has ever addressed Janeway informally is her lover
Mark back home, who called her Kat. Not that this is a record in television: Lucille
Ball always played a character named Lucy in her many series, and I believe Tony Danza
has appeared in six series, always playing characters named Tony.

Anthony Bruce Gilpin

Anthony Bruce Gilpin

Laurie M. Campbell

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

Gardner D. Underhill

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

Unlike some people who post to this newsgroup I do not find these
"similarities" to be
"an annoying affectation". Hepburn as Janeway, now that you mention it, yes
I can imagine it. Honestly it is a turn on. (OK, so I am wierd, so byte
me!)
--
Gardner DU3rd
bISovbejbe'DI' tImer

Anthony B. Gilpin <agi...@pacbell.net> wrote in article
<32024F...@pacbell.net>...

KBeaton919

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

I agree that Hepburn would be an interesting model for Janeway -- except
that Janeway lacks the most important Hepburn characteristic which is a
bite to her personality. I wish Janeway had that edge, then she would be
less breathy and irritating and more sultry and commanding.

Nancy E Molik

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

Anthony B. Gilpin (agi...@pacbell.net) wrote::
: In "HeartBeat," Mulgrew played a doctor named...Kate...

: Anthony Bruce Gilpin

No, she didn't. She played a doctor named Joanne Springstein (the first
season) and Joanne Halloran (the second season). I have 15 of those eps
on video. And her movie and mini-series rolls never consisted of her name
being Kate. Neither did her first TV role as Mary Ryan on Ryans Hope...
nancy
--
Saffy: That's disgusting! That is SO degrading | Founding member of the
to women! | Society to Prevent

Anthony B. Gilpin

Aug 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/7/96
to Nancy E Molik

Nancy E Molik wrote:

> Anthony B. Gilpin (agi...@pacbell.net) wrote::
> : In "HeartBeat," Mulgrew played a doctor named...Kate...
>
> : Anthony Bruce Gilpin
>
> No, she didn't. She played a doctor named Joanne Springstein (the first
> season) and Joanne Halloran (the second season). I have 15 of those eps
> on video. And her movie and mini-series rolls never consisted of her name
> being Kate. Neither did her first TV role as Mary Ryan on Ryans Hope...
> nancy
> --

I was proceding humorously from a magazine interview about a year ago in which Ms.
Mulgrew remarked on the frequency with which she has played characters named Kate (and
how comfortable she is with the situation.) I'll concede a goof in "HeartBeat." As for
"Ryan's Hope:" I didn't mention it because I don't know anything about soap operas. In
anycase, I never meant to imply that Kate Mulgrew has never played, or is incapable of
playing, a character *not* named Kate. The character she played in "Remo Williams - The
Adventure Begins" was named Raynor Fleming -- and the given name "Raynor", whatever
*that* means -- is about as far removed from "Kate" as one can get!
Keep smiling. It confounds and confuses your enemies.

Anthony Bruce Gilpin

walt...@gmail.com

Oct 30, 2017, 6:10:15 AM10/30/17
Yes, she does sound a lot like Hepburn - but I find that voice painful - can't say I ever was a Hepburn fan either - very wooden. Walter