Romulan Wine / Cara Sherman Toreno

Will Dockery

Mar 7, 2012, 1:35:26 AM3/7/12
http://zinewiki.com/Cara_Sherman_Tereno

Cara Sherman Tereno was born in 1953 in the state of Nevada and died
in February 1996.

She left her home state of Nevada to attend Wheelock College in
Boston, then studied at the Kubert School of Comic Art in New Jersey,
where she met and married Lloyd Tereno.

Professional History

Cara Sherman-Tereno was one of the few women to work in mainstream
American comics. She was employed by DC, but for herself and the non-
mainstream press she produced gay vampire erotica, such as 'Life With
The Vampire' (drawn in 1978, published in Taboo in 1989). Cara died of
leukemia in February 1996, aged 44.

Romulan Wine

"Cara published a fanzine called Romulan Wine which was basically
dedicated to Star Trek, of which she (and I as well) were big fans
[...] She had asked me if I was interested in writing and penciling a
strip, and she'd revise and ink it, and we wanted something in the
Star Trek fashion. I wrote a story about Ancient Vulcan, the main
character of which was a chieftain named Mort III. Cara loved it, but
was afraid that Gene Roddenberry might not approve, so she wrote him
several times, and eventually, he did indeed approve of the script and
even gave his blessing, making it an authorized part of Vulcan
History. She published it in two-parts in her fanzine, and, to my
knowledge, it was the first time anything in comic strip format
referring to Ancient Vulcan was ever published. The one precedent we
set in the storyline? The sun on Vulcan rose from the West." -Dave
Puckett

Romulan Wine is a gen Star Trek: TOS anthology of fiction and
articles. Issue 5 is called The Porno Issue and is explicit het.

[edit] Issue 1
Romulan Wine 1

High Council by Cara Sherman (article)
The Fiendish Offendie Affair (Part 1) by Cara Sherman
[edit] Issue 2
Romulan Wine 2 was published in 1971 and contains 91 pages.

High Council by Cara Sherman (article)
Johnny Banana Seed
The Fiendish Offendie Affair (Part 2) by Cara Sherman
Star Retch by P. O'Keefe
High Council Guest Editorial by B. Westbrook (article)
[edit] Issue 3
Romulan Wine 3 was published in 1971 and contains 85 pages.

High Council by Cara Sherman (article)
Quack by Cara Sherman (article)
Crony the Barbarian by D. McDonnell
Sunn of Star Retch by P. O'Keefe
The Pusher by B. Rupp
Origin of Peter Sunn by Cara Sherman
Kraith (review) by Cara Sherman (article)
DTFF Convention by Cara Sherman (article)
[edit] Issue 4
Romulan Wine 4 was published 1972 and contains 114 pages.

High Council by Cara Sherman (article)
Quack by Cara Sherman (article)
Tanel of Darthang by M. Coburn
Romu lans: The Empire Papers by K. Nickel
Planet of the Frogs by Cara Sherman
Lt. West of the W.A.S.P. by J.P. Moore
The Maltese Vulcan (Part 1) by Cara Sherman
Sakenn by Cara Sherman
Feminism in Science Fiction by Cara Sherman (article)
[edit] Issue 5
Romulan Wine 5 is explicit het and called The Porno Issue. It contains
100 pages.

High Council by Cara Sherman (article)
Quack by Cara Sherman (article)
May You Always Have Interesting Dreams by A. Falkowitz
Star Sex by A. Kasanoff
Three Lay-Spock Vignettes by Paula Smith
The Maltese Vulcan (Part 2) by Cara Sherman
O.G.M.L., or Why Bomulans Don't Take Prisoners by Cara Sherman
Species Jokes

MITO MINISTER

Mar 7, 2012, 2:32:23 AM3/7/12
And?

Will Dockery

Mar 7, 2012, 12:06:58 PM3/7/12
Not much, just remembering Cara.

--
Music & poetry of Will Dockery:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery

SparkoHeaps

Mar 7, 2012, 1:52:12 PM3/7/12
I hope you keep posting. You seem to have lots of positive contributions to this group.

MITO MINISTER

Mar 17, 2012, 8:48:37 AM3/17/12
Ok.

Wiseguy

Mar 17, 2012, 3:45:09 PM3/17/12
Will Dockery <will.d...@gmail.com> wrote in news:43b4a040-cfdc-4a35-
8874-2d5...@y17g2000yqg.googlegroups.com:

> http://zinewiki.com/Cara_Sherman_Tereno
>
> Cara Sherman Tereno was born in 1953 in the state of Nevada and died
> in February 1996.
>

> Cara died of leukemia in February 1996, aged 44.

One of those numbers is wrong.

MITO MINISTER

Mar 17, 2012, 9:33:57 PM3/17/12
On Mar 18, 4:45 am, Wiseguy <epw...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Will Dockery <will.dock...@gmail.com> wrote in news:43b4a040-cfdc-4a35-
> 8874-2d5d8202d...@y17g2000yqg.googlegroups.com:
>
> >http://zinewiki.com/Cara_Sherman_Tereno
>
> > Cara Sherman Tereno was born in 1953 in the state of Nevada and died
> > in February 1996.
>
> > Cara died of leukemia in February 1996, aged 44.
>
> One of those numbers is wrong.

Which one? 1996 minus 1953 equals 43. Is saying that someone died at
44 so wrong if they actually died at the age of 43? Come on man, talk
about nit-picking moronism!

MITO MINISTER

Mar 17, 2012, 9:34:10 PM3/17/12
You are welcome!

Wiseguy

Mar 18, 2012, 12:36:20 AM3/18/12
MITO MINISTER <cigarm...@gmail.com> wrote in news:14187aee-707c-45f4-
9421-cc3...@sv8g2000pbc.googlegroups.com:
Just the facts, ma'am.

Will Dockery

Mar 18, 2012, 3:46:48 AM3/18/12
On Mar 17, 9:33 pm, MITO MINISTER <cigarmanw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 18, 4:45 am, Wiseguy <epw...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Will Dockery wrote in news:43b4a040-cfdc-4a35-
> > 8874-2d5d8202d...@y17g2000yqg.googlegroups.com:
>
> > >http://zinewiki.com/Cara_Sherman_Tereno
>
> > > Cara Sherman Tereno was born in 1953 in the state of Nevada and died
> > > in February 1996.
>
> > > Cara died of leukemia in February 1996, aged 44.
>
> > One of those numbers is wrong.
>
> Which one? 1996 minus 1953 equals 43. Is saying that someone died at
> 44 so wrong if they actually died at the age of 43? Come on man, talk
> about nit-picking moronism!

Yeah, I guess I should have double checked the information... I lost
contact with Cara sometime in the 1970s, myself.

--
Music & poetry from Will Dockery & Friends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery

Will Dockery

Oct 12, 2017, 1:49:26 AM10/12/17
Thanks, I drifted away for a while, five years, it seems, but hope to stick in this time.

:)

Will-Dockery

Jan 5, 2024, 8:11:14 AMJan 5

> > On Wednesday, March 7, 2012 10:06:58 AM UTC-7, Will Dockery
wrote:
> > On Mar 7, 2:32am, MITO MINISTER <cigarmanw> wrote:
> > And?
> >
> > Not much, just remembering Cara.
> >
> > --
> > Music & poetry of Will Dockery:
> > http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery
> >
> SparkoHeaps wrote:
>

> I hope you keep posting. You seem to have lots of positive
contributions to this group.

Sorry I've been away so long, I hope to post more here in the future.

This is a response to the post seen at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=146089000#146089000

Daniel65

Jan 6, 2024, 4:13:53 AMJan 6
Will-Dockery wrote on 6/1/24 12:11 am:
WHAT?? Only six and a bit years! I thought Away Missions were only
supposed to be for Five years!!
--
Daniel