[DS9] Cynics Corner Review: "The Dogs of War"

David E. Sluss

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
C Y N I C S
R Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: "The Dogs of War"
N as reviewed by David E. Sluss with Cheryl M. Capezzuti
R copyright (c) 1999 Tiger Bay Publishing

Spoilers ahead!

THE BOTTOM LINE: For the most part, the storylines in this episode
live up to their name: dogs.

CYNICS CORNER RATING: 5.0

MYSTERY OF THE WEEK: Who decided that "closure" for the "Ferengi
situation" was necessary? During this closing arc, with the exception
of the Worf/Ezri/Julian nonsense, the writers have managed to stay
pretty focused on the important storylines that need to be addressed.
Even last week's "Extreme Measures," while seriously botched, was
dealing with something worthwhile. But in the penultimate episode of
the series, it's practically a crime for half the show to be devoted
to Ferengi slapstick. Does _anyone_ care what Rom's fate will be, or
who will replace Zek as Grand Dingus? Was this whole episode crafted
just so Jeffrey Combs could play both of his recurring characters in
the same episode?

CONTRIVANCE OF THE WEEK: The Grand Dingus calls Quark's Bar and
Grill, and speaks to Quark, thinking he is talking to Rom, and from
this, all the crapola in the episode ensues. Question: Why would the
Dingus have called Quark's if he wanted to talk to Rom? Rom doesn't
even work at the bar anymore, and he has his own quarters and,
presumably, his own vid-phone. Frankly, this makes this whole plot,
if it can be even dignified with that word, as phony as a three-dollar
bill.

LAUGH LINE OF THE WEEK: Much as I disliked the Ferengi storyline, I
did laugh out loud at Quark's "line must be drawn here" speech,
delivered by Shimerman in a manner obviously mocking Patrick Stewart's
delivery of it in "First Contant." Other speeches didn't fare so
well...

DON'T QUIT YOUR DAY JOB OF THE WEEK: I can't say I buy Dumb-Ar as a
motivational speaker. Casey Biggs did alright with his quiet, subdued
call for revolution in "The Changing Face of Evil," but he didn't fare
nearly as well here, as his speech on the streets of Cardassia Prime
came across as merely shrill. It's hard to believe the citizens of
Cardassia would rise up on the basis of that, or that they would start
chanting "Freedom! Freedom!" in such a cornball fashion because of it.

CHEMISTRY OF THE WEEK: A rare element to be sure. Sisko and Kasidy
were better than they usually are (and Johnson's performance as she
frets about the Prophets' warning and what it might mean for the baby
was surprisingly good), but Julian and Ezri were awful. Their scenes
together were without exception ineptly scripted and horribly acted,
particularly the replimat scene. It doesn't help that their
"situation," such as it is, is completely contrived and has been an
annoying time-suck throughout this entire arc.

DOMINION UNINTELLIGENCE OF THE WEEK: Apparently Dolly the Vorta and
the Dominion really believed that Dumb-Ar and his companions were
dead. But how could they be so inept? If they knew where Dumb-Ar was
going and which ship he was in, couldn't they have scanned for
transporter signals at either end? Couldn't they have scanned the
ship and noticed that not enough people were aboard when it was
destroyed?

REBELLION UNINTELLIGENCE OF THE WEEK: Dumb-Ar lives up to his name,
setting up a secret resistance meeting on Cardassia Prime, of all
places, which is Dominion headquarters in the Alpha Quadrant. Writer
Fiat apparently dictated that Dumb-Ar be there in person to speechify
the Cardassian people, but is there any other reason the meeting
wouldn't have been set up elsewhere?

DISCONTINUTITY OF THE WEEK: Another slight breakdown of DS9's
committee-writing process may have occurred here. In "Extreme
Measures," it seemed to be implied that Odo had been made aware of
Section 8's involvement in infecting him. After Bashir failed to get
the information out of Sloan, he went to Odo saying, "It didn't work";
presumably Odo knew what "it" was. Now, this took place while Bashir
was unknowingly still in Sloan's head, but his talk with Odo seemed
real and appropriate to Bashir. This week, of course, Bashir tells
Odo about Section 8's actions for the first time.

ANACHRONISM OF THE WEEK: If 24th Century medicine can replace any
organ instantaneously, alter DNA, and map the locations of specific
memories within the brain, why isn't contraception idiot-proof? The
shots that Sisko and Kasidy talked about don't sound much more
advanced than what is available today, and even calling them "shots"
rather than "hyposprays" seemed out of place.

RESET BUTTON OF THE WEEK: So Sisko's new ship is not only a
Defiant-class ship but will be named Defiant, with only the carpet
changed? Come on...

NEXT WEEK: Boy, that preview was so overwrought and filled with hype
("An event for all time!"), that I almost forgot DS9 doesn't air on
UPN.
--
// David E. Sluss (The Cynic) \\ // "I'm impatient with \\
//_________ sluss%dhp.com _________\\//__ stupidity. My people have __\\

Reverend Sean O'Hara

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
"David E. Sluss" wrote:

> ANACHRONISM OF THE WEEK: If 24th Century medicine can replace any
> organ instantaneously, alter DNA, and map the locations of specific
> memories within the brain, why isn't contraception idiot-proof? The
> shots that Sisko and Kasidy talked about don't sound much more
> advanced than what is available today, and even calling them "shots"
> rather than "hyposprays" seemed out of place.

What's worse: The shots require both partners to take them for them to
be effective. While it was intended for a semi satirical moment,
poking fun at how women usually get blamed for missing their pill, it
makes no sense. Compare to our primitive 20th Century medicine where
a man uses one form of contraceptive (let's say a condom with some
spermicidal jelly) and the female uses another (let's say the pill).
If the woman misses her pill, it does not guarantee that she will get
pregnant unless the condom also breaks. If the condom breaks, it
doesn't guarantee the woman will get pregnant unless the woman forgot
her pill. Yet in the future it seems that both partners much take
contraceptive measures in tandem for them to work, which seems (A)
wonky and (B) ineffective.

> RESET BUTTON OF THE WEEK: So Sisko's new ship is not only a
> Defiant-class ship but will be named Defiant, with only the carpet
> changed? Come on...

And we never even see the carpet.

> NEXT WEEK: Boy, that preview was so overwrought and filled with hype
> ("An event for all time!"), that I almost forgot DS9 doesn't air on
> UPN.

Hey, where I live it is on the UPN station.

--
Reverend Sean O'Hara
You two can be an ordained minister: http://ulc.org/ulc

Edward Curtis

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
Spoiler space
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
On Sat, 29 May 1999 16:13:01 GMT, David E. Sluss posted choice words to
rec.arts.startrek.current, let's see if they are worth reading....

> RESET BUTTON OF THE WEEK: So Sisko's new ship is not only a
> Defiant-class ship but will be named Defiant, with only the carpet
> changed? Come on...

No more reset-buttony than the end of ST4:TVH, which has Kirk & Co
assigned to a brand spankin' new Enterprise shortly after their trial.

But I'll admit, I would have liked to have seen the Sao Paulo name stay.
Brazilian fans are likely to be especially ticked off. :P

Ed
--
===zoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom
Edward "Mr. Zoom" Curtis cur...@labyrinth.net

Georgiana Gates

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
David E. Sluss wrote:
> LAUGH LINE OF THE WEEK: Much as I disliked the Ferengi storyline, I
> did laugh out loud at Quark's "line must be drawn here" speech,
> delivered by Shimerman in a manner obviously mocking Patrick Stewart's
> delivery of it in "First Contant." Other speeches didn't fare so
> well...
No, the best line was when Quark finds out that he won't have absolute
power as Grand Nagus. Brunt says "Oh, you'll still be a powerful man.
I wouldn't suck up to you otherwise."

> NEXT WEEK: Boy, that preview was so overwrought and filled with hype
> ("An event for all time!"), that I almost forgot DS9 doesn't air on
> UPN.

It's not a UPN network show. But in some areas, including mine, it
airs on the local UPN outlet.

conANDave

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99

:
:It's not a UPN network show. But in some areas, including mine, it

:airs on the local UPN outlet.

Come on people! We're not so overly wrought with pain that we can't comprend
a little sarcastic humor!

David E. Sluss

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
Georgiana Gates <ram...@hal-pc.org> wrote:

>David E. Sluss wrote:
>
>> NEXT WEEK: Boy, that preview was so overwrought and filled with hype
>> ("An event for all time!"), that I almost forgot DS9 doesn't air on
>> UPN.
>
>It's not a UPN network show. But in some areas, including mine, it
>airs on the local UPN outlet.

Geez, you don't see me nitpicking like that...

.

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
In article <374ffee8...@usenet.pitt.edu>, David E. Sluss <sluss@no-
square-canned-processed-meat.dhp.com> writes

>C Y N I C S
>R Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: "The Dogs of War"
>N as reviewed by David E. Sluss with Cheryl M. Capezzuti
>R copyright (c) 1999 Tiger Bay Publishing
>
>Spoilers ahead!

>THE BOTTOM LINE: For the most part, the storylines in this episode
>live up to their name: dogs.
>
>CYNICS CORNER RATING: 5.0
>
>ANACHRONISM OF THE WEEK: If 24th Century medicine can replace any
>organ instantaneously, alter DNA, and map the locations of specific
>memories within the brain, why isn't contraception idiot-proof? The
>shots that Sisko and Kasidy talked about don't sound much more
>advanced than what is available today, and even calling them "shots"
>rather than "hyposprays" seemed out of place.

Yes, medical science in Star Trek is amazing but I don`t think it is
THAT amazing that you can replace any organ instantaneously. Well,
Picard has an artificial heart - and a heart is really not a very
complicated organ. And obviously you can`t regrow a lost limb or Nog
wouldn`t have an artificial leg.

Perhaps something more permanent concerning contraception is available
but Sisko and Kasidy decided for this option because they were
considering having a child quite soon. It`s just a speculation, of
course.

>RESET BUTTON OF THE WEEK: So Sisko's new ship is not only a
>Defiant-class ship but will be named Defiant, with only the carpet
>changed? Come on...

Hm, how many Enterprises were there already... I expected something like
this.

Baerbel Haddrell

Adam Faircloth

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
If it weren't for the fact that building new sets for two shows would be a
waste, i would have liked to see the new defiant be something spectacular
and unexpected, like Sovereign class or Prometheus class. Wouldn't that be
exiting?

> But I'll admit, I would have liked to have seen the Sao Paulo name stay.
> Brazilian fans are likely to be especially ticked off. :P

I agree that the Sao Paulo name should have been kept, it would have offered
something a little new and cool. I think it is really sad that they had to
go rename the thing even though the dedication plaque still said Sao Paulo
(and as far as i know the hull did too because I never saw the episode, just
read a whole lot about it) Another thing, why would Starfleet mess with ship
names in a busy time of war? For all we know they've got uncommissioned,
experimental and incomplete vessels that were rushed out of spacedock to
defend the Federation. "We'd better get a new toy so that Benji won't know
he broke his old one..."

Adam Faircloth

David E. Sluss

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
"." <Em...@trekdata.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <374ffee8...@usenet.pitt.edu>, David E. Sluss <sluss@no-
>square-canned-processed-meat.dhp.com> writes
>>ANACHRONISM OF THE WEEK: If 24th Century medicine can replace any
>>organ instantaneously, alter DNA, and map the locations of specific
>>memories within the brain, why isn't contraception idiot-proof? The
>>shots that Sisko and Kasidy talked about don't sound much more
>>advanced than what is available today, and even calling them "shots"
>>rather than "hyposprays" seemed out of place.
>>

>Yes, medical science in Star Trek is amazing but I don`t think it is
>THAT amazing that you can replace any organ instantaneously. Well,
>Picard has an artificial heart - and a heart is really not a very
>complicated organ. And obviously you can`t regrow a lost limb or Nog
>wouldn`t have an artificial leg.

I engaged in a bit of hyperbole here, but McCoy did give an old lady a
new kidney in ST4 just by having her take a pill. And that's 23rd
Century medicine!

>>RESET BUTTON OF THE WEEK: So Sisko's new ship is not only a
>>Defiant-class ship but will be named Defiant, with only the carpet
>>changed? Come on...
>

>Hm, how many Enterprises were there already... I expected something like
>this.

It didn't surprise me, but, still, it's a colossal reset button.

Matthew Murray

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
On Sat, 29 May 1999, David E. Sluss wrote:

> >Hm, how many Enterprises were there already... I expected something like
> >this.
>
> It didn't surprise me, but, still, it's a colossal reset button.

They should never have blown it up in the first place. It didn't
need to be, especially if they were going to come up with a new one for
the finale. That's pretty pathetic and anti-climactic. Well, the
Defiant's destruction a few episodes ago wasn't much of a climax, but I
think you get the point.

Matthew A. Murray | Over 190 computer game reviews covering
mmu...@cc.wwu.edu | games from 1977 to the present!
http://www.wwu.edu/~mmurray | http://www.wwu.edu/~mmurray/Reviews.html

Ryan Day

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
Georgiana Gates (ram...@hal-pc.org) wrote:
> David E. Sluss wrote:
> > LAUGH LINE OF THE WEEK: Much as I disliked the Ferengi storyline, I
> > did laugh out loud at Quark's "line must be drawn here" speech,
> > delivered by Shimerman in a manner obviously mocking Patrick Stewart's
> > delivery of it in "First Contant." Other speeches didn't fare so
> > well...
> No, the best line was when Quark finds out that he won't have absolute
> power as Grand Nagus. Brunt says "Oh, you'll still be a powerful man.
> I wouldn't suck up to you otherwise."

Nah, the best lines of the week were given to the Cardassians:
"You didn't tell me you had a secret mountain hideout."
"I was going to surprise you."

I didn't know Damar was so good at that sort of delivery.

--
Ryan Day
J-Skool III.5

Adam Faircloth

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
If they were going to blow uf Defiant I think they should have never gotten
a new one. I understand that they need new Enterprises since it is used
heavily in movies and is "the original starship" in a way. the defiant
however was likely never to be seen again after DS9 except for in a movie
scene or something so it wasn't really important to bring it back. like i
said in an earlier post it should have been different than a defiant class
or at least kept the Sao Paulo name.

cya
adam faircloth

Matthew Murray <mmu...@cc.wwu.edu> wrote in message

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
> . Does _anyone_ care what Rom's fate will be, or
> who will replace Zek as Grand Dingus? Was this whole episode crafted
> just so Jeffrey Combs could play both of his recurring characters in
> the same episode?

Which two does he play? Rom and Zek?

Ken Ream

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99

. <Em...@trekdata.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <374ffee8...@usenet.pitt.edu>, David E. Sluss <sluss@no-
> square-canned-processed-meat.dhp.com> writes
> >C Y N I C S
> >R Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: "The Dogs of War"
> >N as reviewed by David E. Sluss with Cheryl M. Capezzuti
> >R copyright (c) 1999 Tiger Bay Publishing
> >
> >Spoilers ahead!

> >THE BOTTOM LINE: For the most part, the storylines in this episode
> >live up to their name: dogs.
> >
> >CYNICS CORNER RATING: 5.0
> >
> >ANACHRONISM OF THE WEEK: If 24th Century medicine can replace any
> >organ instantaneously, alter DNA, and map the locations of specific
> >memories within the brain, why isn't contraception idiot-proof? The
> >shots that Sisko and Kasidy talked about don't sound much more
> >advanced than what is available today, and even calling them "shots"
> >rather than "hyposprays" seemed out of place.
> >

> Yes, medical science in Star Trek is amazing but I don`t think it is
> THAT amazing that you can replace any organ instantaneously. Well,
> Picard has an artificial heart - and a heart is really not a very
> complicated organ. And obviously you can`t regrow a lost limb or Nog
> wouldn`t have an artificial leg

Nor it seems can you regrow hair (see Picard, he of the artificial heart).

But you can instantaneously grow a kidney just by taking a pill that McCoy
was carrying around 80 years earlier (ST IV).

Daryle Walker

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
SPOILERS for "The Dogs of War"

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
20
1
2
3
4
5

In article <374ffee8...@usenet.pitt.edu>,

>RESET BUTTON OF THE WEEK: So Sisko's new ship is not only a
>Defiant-class ship but will be named Defiant, with only the carpet
>changed? Come on...

You could see this point as...

KIRK DELUSION OF THE WEEK: Even though Sisko hasn't had a record as long
or as notable as Kirk, Sisko somehow gets a starship named in honor of his
first one. In fact, the ship isn't that different from the original. And
at least Kirk didn't send the Federation in a war it might not win, sucker
other governments to help bail the Federation out, or ignore the
majorly-bad doings of lower officers that just happened to help him.

--
Daryle Walker
Video Game, Mac, and Internet Junkie

Reverend Sean O'Hara

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
Laurinda Chamberlin wrote:

> sl...@no-square-canned-processed-meat.dhp.com (David E. Sluss) writes:
>
> [...]

> >RESET BUTTON OF THE WEEK: So Sisko's new ship is not only a
> >Defiant-class ship but will be named Defiant, with only the carpet
> >changed? Come on... [...]
>
> Aw, the ship has to be the "Defiant". The only starship names that
> really work are those derived from stirring concepts, such as "Enterprise",
> "Defiant", "Intrepid", etc. Naming a ship after a city just doesn't
> have the same ring.

Well, they could have gone for the "Alamo"...

> --
> Laurinda She walked by herself, and
> all places were alike to her.

David B.

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
David E. Sluss wrote:

> C Y N I C S
> R Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: "The Dogs of War"
> N as reviewed by David E. Sluss with Cheryl M. Capezzuti
> R copyright (c) 1999 Tiger Bay Publishing
>
> Spoilers ahead!
>
> THE BOTTOM LINE: For the most part, the storylines in this episode
> live up to their name: dogs.
>
> CYNICS CORNER RATING: 5.0
>

> MYSTERY OF THE WEEK: Was this whole episode crafted

> just so Jeffrey Combs could play both of his recurring characters in
> the same episode?

Since Combs said he'd like to play Brunt and Weyoun in the same
episode...yes.

> CONTRIVANCE OF THE WEEK: The Grand Dingus calls Quark's Bar and
> Grill, and speaks to Quark, thinking he is talking to Rom, and from
> this, all the crapola in the episode ensues. Question: Why would the
> Dingus have called Quark's if he wanted to talk to Rom? Rom doesn't
> even work at the bar anymore, and he has his own quarters and,
> presumably, his own vid-phone. Frankly, this makes this whole plot,
> if it can be even dignified with that word, as phony as a three-dollar
> bill.

The Dungus is a dingbat that's why. :)

> DON'T QUIT YOUR DAY JOB OF THE WEEK: I can't say I buy Dumb-Ar as a
> motivational speaker. Casey Biggs did alright with his quiet, subdued
> call for revolution in "The Changing Face of Evil," but he didn't fare
> nearly as well here, as his speech on the streets of Cardassia Prime
> came across as merely shrill. It's hard to believe the citizens of
> Cardassia would rise up on the basis of that, or that they would start
> chanting "Freedom! Freedom!" in such a cornball fashion because of it.

I thought he did a pretty good Mel Gibson imitation...

> DISCONTINUTITY OF THE WEEK: Another slight breakdown of DS9's
> committee-writing process may have occurred here. In "Extreme
> Measures," it seemed to be implied that Odo had been made aware of
> Section 8's involvement in infecting him. After Bashir failed to get
> the information out of Sloan, he went to Odo saying, "It didn't work";
> presumably Odo knew what "it" was. Now, this took place while Bashir
> was unknowingly still in Sloan's head, but his talk with Odo seemed
> real and appropriate to Bashir. This week, of course, Bashir tells
> Odo about Section 8's actions for the first time.

I really didn't see a problem here. But then last week's episode made me
sleepy.

> RESET BUTTON OF THE WEEK: So Sisko's new ship is not only a
> Defiant-class ship but will be named Defiant, with only the carpet
> changed? Come on...

No big deal really.

David B.

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
Reverend Sean O'Hara wrote:

> "David E. Sluss" wrote:
>
> > RESET BUTTON OF THE WEEK: So Sisko's new ship is not only a
> > Defiant-class ship but will be named Defiant, with only the carpet
> > changed? Come on...
> >

> And we never even see the carpet.

I wish we had seen the carpet instead of Quark's feet...ugh!

> > NEXT WEEK: Boy, that preview was so overwrought and filled with hype
> > ("An event for all time!"), that I almost forgot DS9 doesn't air on
> > UPN.
>

> Hey, where I live it is on the UPN station.

Me too.

David B.

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
Adam Faircloth wrote:

> If it weren't for the fact that building new sets for two shows would be a
> waste, i would have liked to see the new defiant be something spectacular
> and unexpected, like Sovereign class or Prometheus class. Wouldn't that be
> exiting?
>
> > But I'll admit, I would have liked to have seen the Sao Paulo name stay.
> > Brazilian fans are likely to be especially ticked off. :P
>
> I agree that the Sao Paulo name should have been kept, it would have offered
> something a little new and cool.

I'm not a big fan of ships named after places unless it's guest ship of the week
then it doesn't matter much. It just seems so...boring for a ship meant for a
series.

David B.

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
J wrote:

> > . Does _anyone_ care what Rom's fate will be, or
> > who will replace Zek as Grand Dingus? Was this whole episode crafted
> > just so Jeffrey Combs could play both of his recurring characters in
> > the same episode?
>

> Which two does he play? Rom and Zek?

No. He plays Weyoun and Brunt.

Laurinda Chamberlin

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99

[...]
>Spoilers ahead!

>THE BOTTOM LINE: For the most part, the storylines in this episode

>live up to their name: dogs. [...]

I thought the Cardassian plotline had a lot of potential but went by
at breakneck speed. It was the only one in which anything important
happened, and deserved to dominate the air time. I wish we'd gotten
the chance to see a lot more of the development of the Cardassian
resistance.

>DON'T QUIT YOUR DAY JOB OF THE WEEK: I can't say I buy Dumb-Ar as a
>motivational speaker. Casey Biggs did alright with his quiet, subdued
>call for revolution in "The Changing Face of Evil," but he didn't fare
>nearly as well here, as his speech on the streets of Cardassia Prime
>came across as merely shrill.

That didn't particularly bother me, but the fact that Damar chose to
walk out and confront the Jem'Hadar and didn't get shot on the spot
was a little much. There was too much time between when he was recognized
and when the guard attempted to blast him. Given Garak's considerable
guile and how seldom he's been allowed to show it in this concluding
arc, couldn't he have just tricked the guards?

>It's hard to believe the citizens of
>Cardassia would rise up on the basis of that, or that they would start

>chanting "Freedom! Freedom!" in such a cornball fashion because of it. [...]

There was a certain wit to this scene. Damar and Garak get the crowd
all worked up, then hastily sneak out the back way.

>REBELLION UNINTELLIGENCE OF THE WEEK: Dumb-Ar lives up to his name,
>setting up a secret resistance meeting on Cardassia Prime, of all
>places, which is Dominion headquarters in the Alpha Quadrant. Writer
>Fiat apparently dictated that Dumb-Ar be there in person to speechify
>the Cardassian people, but is there any other reason the meeting

>wouldn't have been set up elsewhere? [...]

They probably should have given them a more solid reason why they had to
go to Cardassia, but what the heck, it's a more interesting setting than
their cement cave. I was more disturbed by the fact that the gul who
betrayed them managed to find out the locations of all 18 rebel bases.
What, did they just tell him, after all that folderol earlier from Kira
about how to keep the various cells from being compromised?

>RESET BUTTON OF THE WEEK: So Sisko's new ship is not only a
>Defiant-class ship but will be named Defiant, with only the carpet

>changed? Come on... [...]

Aw, the ship has to be the "Defiant". The only starship names that
really work are those derived from stirring concepts, such as "Enterprise",
"Defiant", "Intrepid", etc. Naming a ship after a city just doesn't
have the same ring.

Franklin Hummel

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
In article <Pine.SOL.4.05.990529...@titan.cc.wwu.edu>,

Matthew Murray <mmu...@cc.wwu.edu> wrote:
>On Sat, 29 May 1999, David E. Sluss wrote:
>
>> >Hm, how many Enterprises were there already... I expected something like
>> >this.
>>
>> It didn't surprise me, but, still, it's a colossal reset button.
>
> They should never have blown it up in the first place. It didn't
>need to be, especially if they were going to come up with a new one for
>the finale. That's pretty pathetic and anti-climactic. Well, the
>Defiant's destruction a few episodes ago wasn't much of a climax, but I
>think you get the point.

To this I will add, what would have been the difficulty in having
a different make of ship AND make a different bridge? Gees, there are
loads of already-done design plans for other Federation ships they could
have pulled from their production files. Heck, I would not be surprised
in Paramount has some standing or in storage bridge sets.

And, good grief, they have lots and lots of CGI ships now stored
away on harddrives somewhere.

Not only was it the Reset Button, but it was a truly unnecessary
Reset Button. They could have done something different with very little
effort or cost.

-- Franklin Hummel [ hum...@world.std.com ]
"The universe is not only queerer than we imagine, but it is
queerer than we can imagine". -- J.B.S. Haldane

David E. Sluss

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
J <jch...@deseretonline.com> wrote:
>> . Does _anyone_ care what Rom's fate will be, or
>> who will replace Zek as Grand Dingus? Was this whole episode crafted
>> just so Jeffrey Combs could play both of his recurring characters in
>> the same episode?
>
>Which two does he play? Rom and Zek?

Weyoun and Brunt.

Barry Wong

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
Franklin Hummel <hum...@world.std.com> wrote:

> To this I will add, what would have been the difficulty in having
> a different make of ship AND make a different bridge? Gees, there are
> loads of already-done design plans for other Federation ships they could
> have pulled from their production files. Heck, I would not be surprised
> in Paramount has some standing or in storage bridge sets.
>
> And, good grief, they have lots and lots of CGI ships now stored
> away on harddrives somewhere.
>
> Not only was it the Reset Button, but it was a truly unnecessary
> Reset Button. They could have done something different with very little
> effort or cost.

Agreed. How would this have been for an alternative? Starfleet sends
Sisko a recommissioned ship from an outdated class. He is visibly
disappointed, but glad to have a ship again. When he goes aboard, he is
pleasantly surprised to find that while his new ship doesn't look like
much, she's been re-fitted with quantum torpedoes, the Breen
neutralizing weapon, some kind of special super shielding, and maybe the
phasing cloak that was outlawed from TNG.

Now THAT would have been worth destroying the Defiant...

Nelson Lu

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
In article <tcwwbhF...@netcom.com>,

Laurinda Chamberlin <tcw...@netcom.com> wrote:

>Aw, the ship has to be the "Defiant". The only starship names that
>really work are those derived from stirring concepts, such as "Enterprise",
>"Defiant", "Intrepid", etc. Naming a ship after a city just doesn't
>have the same ring.

But they lost a big chance to continue the Alamo metaphore; they should have
had the ship named the San Antonio. :-)

Richard Gardineer

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99

Adam Faircloth wrote:

> "We'd better get a new toy so that Benji won't know
> he broke his old one..."

Isn't it racist to liken a black man to a dog or a child?

- Arthur A. Gardineer

> Adam Faircloth

.

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
In article <37503a72...@usenet.pitt.edu>, David E. Sluss
<sl...@no-square-canned-processed-meat.dhp.com> writes

>I engaged in a bit of hyperbole here, but McCoy did give an old lady a
>new kidney in ST4 just by having her take a pill. And that's 23rd
>Century medicine!

Oh, yes, I forgot about that! But of course I am wondering now why this
worked with kidneys then but not with other organs (like Picard`s heart)
in present day Star Trek :-).

But on the other hand I also don`t understand the mysteries of the
universal translator which for example refuses to translate Klingon
sometimes or swear words (just to give examples).

Baerbel Haddrell

S.Knight

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
tcw...@netcom.com (Laurinda Chamberlin) wrote:

> Aw, the ship has to be the "Defiant". The only starship names that
> really work are those derived from stirring concepts, such as "Enterprise",
> "Defiant", "Intrepid", etc. Naming a ship after a city just doesn't
> have the same ring.

Nor does naming one after a person. USS Eisenhower?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Matt Frisch

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
On 29 May 1999 19:43:12 PDT, walk...@concentric.net.invalid (Daryle
Walker) scribed into the ether:

>SPOILERS for "The Dogs of War"
>
>1
>2
>3
>4
>5
>6
>7
>8
>9
>10
>1
>2
>3
>4
>5
>6
>7
>8
>9
>20

>>RESET BUTTON OF THE WEEK: So Sisko's new ship is not only a
>>Defiant-class ship but will be named Defiant, with only the carpet
>>changed? Come on...
>

>You could see this point as...
>
>KIRK DELUSION OF THE WEEK: Even though Sisko hasn't had a record as long
>or as notable as Kirk, Sisko somehow gets a starship named in honor of his
>first one. In fact, the ship isn't that different from the original. And
>at least Kirk didn't send the Federation in a war it might not win, sucker
>other governments to help bail the Federation out, or ignore the
>majorly-bad doings of lower officers that just happened to help him.

Kirk got the federation in a war with the klingons over Organia...or he
would have, if the organians hadn't turned up the thermostat on all the
weapons systems.

I highly doubt that the federation at-large is aware of the exact method by
which the Romulans entered the war....certainly the romulans themselves are
not (we hope).

And Kirk was always one for using the death of his redshirts to better his
own position :)

Jean Dupree

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
conANDave wrote:

> Georgiana Gates wrote in message <375018...@hal-pc.org>...

> :> NEXT WEEK: Boy, that preview was so overwrought and filled with hype

> :> ("An event for all time!"), that I almost forgot DS9 doesn't air on
> :> UPN.

> :
> :It's not a UPN network show. But in some areas, including mine, it

> :airs on the local UPN outlet.
>

> Come on people! We're not so overly wrought with pain that we can't comprend
> a little sarcastic humor!

After reading the last few posts that I did trashing the "war and gore" and the
"borgita" and yadda yadda, you're right, I am in pain.

Matt Frisch

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
On Sun, 30 May 1999 08:19:07 GMT, S.Knight <we...@concentric.net> scribed
into the ether:

>In article <tcwwbhF...@netcom.com>,
> tcw...@netcom.com (Laurinda Chamberlin) wrote:
>
>> Aw, the ship has to be the "Defiant". The only starship names that
>> really work are those derived from stirring concepts, such as "Enterprise",
>> "Defiant", "Intrepid", etc. Naming a ship after a city just doesn't
>> have the same ring.
>
>Nor does naming one after a person. USS Eisenhower?

Many of our aircraft carriers are named after presidents. Many cruisers and
destroyers are named after admirals.

Clare

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
I didn't see it this way. When Cassidy says "One of us forgot our
injection", it sounded more like a lover gently chastising her mate for
screwing up, not that they were both getting them.

Reverend Sean O'Hara wrote in message <37501988...@erols.com>...

>"David E. Sluss" wrote:
>>

>> ANACHRONISM OF THE WEEK: If 24th Century medicine can replace any
>> organ instantaneously, alter DNA, and map the locations of specific
>> memories within the brain, why isn't contraception idiot-proof? The
>> shots that Sisko and Kasidy talked about don't sound much more
>> advanced than what is available today, and even calling them "shots"
>> rather than "hyposprays" seemed out of place.
>>

>What's worse: The shots require both partners to take them for them to
>be effective. While it was intended for a semi satirical moment,
>poking fun at how women usually get blamed for missing their pill, it
>makes no sense. Compare to our primitive 20th Century medicine where
>a man uses one form of contraceptive (let's say a condom with some
>spermicidal jelly) and the female uses another (let's say the pill).
>If the woman misses her pill, it does not guarantee that she will get
>pregnant unless the condom also breaks. If the condom breaks, it
>doesn't guarantee the woman will get pregnant unless the woman forgot
>her pill. Yet in the future it seems that both partners much take
>contraceptive measures in tandem for them to work, which seems (A)
>wonky and (B) ineffective.

>> RESET BUTTON OF THE WEEK: So Sisko's new ship is not only a
>> Defiant-class ship but will be named Defiant, with only the carpet
>> changed? Come on...
>>

>And we never even see the carpet.
>

>> NEXT WEEK: Boy, that preview was so overwrought and filled with hype
>> ("An event for all time!"), that I almost forgot DS9 doesn't air on
>> UPN.
>

>Hey, where I live it is on the UPN station.

Clare

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
Who says Picard wanted to regrow his hair? Maybe he liked it
that way because it made him look distinguished. Sisko shaved his head on
purpose, so obviously it's not an odd fashion choice, just like today. I
think bald men can be sexy. (compltely bald men, not the ones who are bald
in front and grow the back to their knees to compensate.)

Ken Ream wrote in message ...

>. <Em...@trekdata.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> In article <374ffee8...@usenet.pitt.edu>, David E. Sluss <sluss@no-
>> square-canned-processed-meat.dhp.com> writes

>> >C Y N I C S
>> >R Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: "The Dogs of War"
>> >N as reviewed by David E. Sluss with Cheryl M. Capezzuti
>> >R copyright (c) 1999 Tiger Bay Publishing
>> >

>> >Spoilers ahead!

>> >THE BOTTOM LINE: For the most part, the storylines in this episode
>> >live up to their name: dogs.
>> >

>> >CYNICS CORNER RATING: 5.0

>> >ANACHRONISM OF THE WEEK: If 24th Century medicine can replace any
>> >organ instantaneously, alter DNA, and map the locations of specific
>> >memories within the brain, why isn't contraception idiot-proof? The
>> >shots that Sisko and Kasidy talked about don't sound much more
>> >advanced than what is available today, and even calling them "shots"
>> >rather than "hyposprays" seemed out of place.

David B.

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
Clare wrote:

> I didn't see it this way. When Cassidy says "One of us forgot our
> injection", it sounded more like a lover gently chastising her mate for
> screwing up, not that they were both getting them.

That's certainly a reasonable explanation.

S.Knight

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
In article <3751aa24.1033793@news>,

Yes but when I think Eisenhower, an aircraft carrier isn't the
first thing that comes to mind.

Franklin Hummel

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99

David E. Sluss <sl...@no-square-canned-processed-meat.dhp.com> wrote:

>NEXT WEEK: Boy, that preview was so overwrought and filled with hype
>("An event for all time!")

I am wondering now if there is enough time for DS9 to really end
things in a satisfactory way. There are now just 2-hours left, part of
which will be a Big Space Battle. But, what then? While the War might
end, there still would be a lot of pieces left over to its ending and I
just don't see that being dealt with in this last episodes. They would be
something that would need to be and would have to take place over -time-.
And time has run out for DS9.

No, what I feel we might be facing, not having see the last
episodes, is the one-hor episode version of having everything wrapped up
and solved in the last 5 minutes. Only this is going to be a 2-hour wrap
up of 7 seasons.

Well, we shall soon see.

Michael Evans

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99

No, not always.

Clare

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
I've called lots of men dogs, regardless of their color. :>

t...@rak061.oulu.fi

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
Richard Gardineer <gard...@fcc.net> writes:

> Adam Faircloth wrote:
>
> > "We'd better get a new toy so that Benji won't know
> > he broke his old one..."
>
> Isn't it racist to liken a black man to a dog or a child?

Not if you would have likened white man similarly in equivalent situation.

Cap'n Kirk got the same deal at the end of ST4: The Voyage home.

--
Tapio Erola t...@rieska.oulu.fi (No mail to t...@rak061.oulu.fi please)

There is no future in time travel

Dave Roy

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99
I just got back from saving the universe, when I overheard
hum...@world.std.com (Franklin Hummel) saying:

>In article <374ffee8...@usenet.pitt.edu>,
>David E. Sluss <sl...@no-square-canned-processed-meat.dhp.com> wrote:
>>
>>NEXT WEEK: Boy, that preview was so overwrought and filled with hype
>>("An event for all time!")
>

> I am wondering now if there is enough time for DS9 to really end
>things in a satisfactory way. There are now just 2-hours left, part of
>which will be a Big Space Battle. But, what then? While the War might
>end, there still would be a lot of pieces left over to its ending and I
>just don't see that being dealt with in this last episodes. They would be
>something that would need to be and would have to take place over -time-.
>And time has run out for DS9.
>
> No, what I feel we might be facing, not having see the last
>episodes, is the one-hor episode version of having everything wrapped up
>and solved in the last 5 minutes. Only this is going to be a 2-hour wrap
>up of 7 seasons.
>
> Well, we shall soon see.

I hate to agree with Frank (I really, *really* hate to), but I have to
admit that I'm a bit worried about this myself. I really wish they
had used the entire season for this.

Dave Roy

FrogPriest

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99
David E. Sluss wrote:

>Spoilers ahead!

>MYSTERY OF THE WEEK: Who decided that "closure" for the "Ferengi
>situation" was necessary? During this closing arc, with the exception
>of the Worf/Ezri/Julian nonsense, the writers have managed to stay
>pretty focused on the important storylines that need to be addressed.
>Even last week's "Extreme Measures," while seriously botched, was
>dealing with something worthwhile. But in the penultimate episode of
>the series, it's practically a crime for half the show to be devoted
>to Ferengi slapstick. Does _anyone_ care what Rom's fate will be, or

>who will replace Zek as Grand Dingus? Was this whole episode crafted
>just so Jeffrey Combs could play both of his recurring characters in
>the same episode?

Remember how ST: TNG last episodes ended--The holodeck making a new lifeform;
Data being taken over by an ancient civilization sun god, the 2nd string
starfleet characters lives and death(s).
Unfortunately, I did not expect the penultimate episode to be so much about
loose ends but if TNG was a model, why did we expect more?

Maybe we expected more because some us thought the story arc would be continued
in a similar vein as B5.
George the Dragon Slayer--remove alpha for replies

Micheal Keane

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99
. wrote in message ...

>In article <374ffee8...@usenet.pitt.edu>, David E. Sluss <sluss@no-
>square-canned-processed-meat.dhp.com> writes
>>C Y N I C S
>>R Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: "The Dogs of War"
>>N as reviewed by David E. Sluss with Cheryl M. Capezzuti
>>R copyright (c) 1999 Tiger Bay Publishing
>>
>>Spoilers ahead!

>Perhaps something more permanent concerning contraception is available
>but Sisko and Kasidy decided for this option because they were
>considering having a child quite soon. It`s just a speculation, of
>course.

Let's not forget that contraceptives, no matter how advanced and space-agey,
are only as reliable as the people taking them. Given both have a lot on
their
minds, I can easily see them forgetting to take a pill or hypospray or
whatever
on a certain day and then.... oops.

Micheal

Micheal Keane

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99
David E. Sluss wrote in message <37503a72...@usenet.pitt.edu>...

>"." <Em...@trekdata.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>>RESET BUTTON OF THE WEEK: So Sisko's new ship is not only a
>>>Defiant-class ship but will be named Defiant, with only the carpet
>>>changed? Come on...
>>
>>Hm, how many Enterprises were there already... I expected something like
>>this.
>
>It didn't surprise me, but, still, it's a colossal reset button.

Yeah. I would've liked it a lot better if it had kept the original name. I
can
buy them getting a new Defiant class ship(especially when Sisko is
practically running the Federation war effort), but the name change is a
little cheesy. The Sao Paolo is also a nice change of pace from the
usual one-word name ships(Voyager, Enterprise, Equinox, etc) and it
would have been nice to see it stay around.

OTOH, did they actually make the name change? They were given
special dispensation to change the name, but I don't recall if they
actually went ahead with it and did it.

Micheal

CSmith8026

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99
Yeah, they renamed it. In fact, I remember seeing it say Defiant on it

Reverend Sean O'Hara

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99
However, the way the contraceptives work on DS9 makes no sense. Let's
say Sisko's injection lowers his sperm count for the next month while
Cassidy's works like the modern pill, preventing an egg from maturing.
If Sisko forgot his injection, it shouldn't matter because Cassidy
still won't produce an egg for Sisko to fertilize. Unless medicine
suddenly devolves in the next 300 years, Cassidy could only be
pregnant if her contraceptive failed as well as Ben's.

Or else the writers screwed up.

Shawn T Pickrell

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
David E. Sluss (sl...@no-square-canned-processed-meat.dhp.com) wrote:
: C Y N I C S

: O
: R Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: "The Dogs of War"
: N as reviewed by David E. Sluss with Cheryl M. Capezzuti
: E
: R copyright (c) 1999 Tiger Bay Publishing

: Spoilers ahead!

Why ruin the fun? :)

: THE BOTTOM LINE: For the most part, the storylines in this episode

: live up to their name: dogs.

: CYNICS CORNER RATING: 5.0

Wasn't that what you gave last week's episode? I hardly think it as
bad as "Extreme Measures," which quite possibly is about the only
show I've seen yet that has made me want to just get up and leave?
(and IMO was the only real clunker yet, although others were not so
great.)

I think the error was not so much in letting minor storylines play a role
in the last episodes, but in totally ignoring the war for the 5-6
episodes prior to this final storyline (the episode where Ezri returns to
Trill, the Vic Fontaine episodes, etc.)

: MYSTERY OF THE WEEK: Who decided that "closure" for the "Ferengi

: situation" was necessary? During this closing arc, with the exception

I do not mind the Ferengi episodes as much as you; admittedly it is a
minor storyline. I certainly feel that it requires some degree of
closure: the amount given was a bit excessive.

: of the Worf/Ezri/Julian nonsense, the writers have managed to stay

Love is a facet of life: this is a storyline that has been building since
Worf and Ezri first laid eyes on each other. I am not sure however, how
Ezri and Julian got to have a shining for each other ...

: pretty focused on the important storylines that need to be addressed.

: Even last week's "Extreme Measures," while seriously botched, was
: dealing with something worthwhile. But in the penultimate episode of
: the series, it's practically a crime for half the show to be devoted
: to Ferengi slapstick. Does _anyone_ care what Rom's fate will be, or
: who will replace Zek as Grand Dingus? Was this whole episode crafted
: just so Jeffrey Combs could play both of his recurring characters in
: the same episode?

Actually, I for one cared about the Ferengi storyline, I would have
been happy however to see it as only 15% or so of the episode, though.

Quark is my girlfriend's favorite character (mine is definitely Martok),
so there are a % of fans that would care about it. At least the *other*
issues were dealt with: I would rather have a show like this than a show
that deals with only one issue to the exclusion of all others.

: CONTRIVANCE OF THE WEEK: The Grand Dingus calls Quark's Bar and
: Grill, and speaks to Quark, thinking he is talking to Rom, and from
: this, all the crapola in the episode ensues. Question: Why would the
: Dingus have called Quark's if he wanted to talk to Rom? Rom doesn't
: even work at the bar anymore, and he has his own quarters and,
: presumably, his own vid-phone. Frankly, this makes this whole plot,
: if it can be even dignified with that word, as phony as a three-dollar
: bill.

Doesn't (or didn't) Rom own the bar? It would be reasonable for Zek to
make a transmission to the bar, expecting to contact Rom. Also, we must
remember that Zek is going senile, otherwise why else would all the
changes described be made? Either that or he is a puppet of Quark/Rom's
mother; I am inclined to think the latter.

: LAUGH LINE OF THE WEEK: Much as I disliked the Ferengi storyline, I
: did laugh out loud at Quark's "line must be drawn here" speech,
: delivered by Shimerman in a manner obviously mocking Patrick Stewart's
: delivery of it in "First Contant." Other speeches didn't fare so
: well...

I liked the scene where Garak's friend hands the trio a set of brooms
and tells them that they might as well make themselves useful :)

: DON'T QUIT YOUR DAY JOB OF THE WEEK: I can't say I buy Dumb-Ar as a

: motivational speaker. Casey Biggs did alright with his quiet, subdued
: call for revolution in "The Changing Face of Evil," but he didn't fare
: nearly as well here, as his speech on the streets of Cardassia Prime

: came across as merely shrill. It's hard to believe the citizens of

: Cardassia would rise up on the basis of that, or that they would start
: chanting "Freedom! Freedom!" in such a cornball fashion because of it.

In order to let the scene have greater effect, there needed to have
been a larger crowd. I also think that some of the time that was overspent
on the Ferengi storyline could have been spent on building up the
revolution, perhaps a few aborted popular uprisings (I recall that the
Cardassian people are not pushovers, as they did rise up and overthrow
the govt' before) and rumormongering.

I also liked the scenes where Gul Broca was conversing with the
Breen generals, the Vorta and the Founder (aren't there more than one,
or are the others off directing intergalactic campaigns??) The true
balance of power was revealed. Will Broca (or other Cardassians) also
rise up?

I would have also appreciated the Founders/Weyoun/the Breen leader
discussing this resurgence of the rebellion; perhaps a secret underground
transmission from Dumar would have really shaken things up.

: CHEMISTRY OF THE WEEK: A rare element to be sure. Sisko and Kasidy
: were better than they usually are (and Johnson's performance as she
: frets about the Prophets' warning and what it might mean for the baby
: was surprisingly good), but Julian and Ezri were awful. Their scenes
: together were without exception ineptly scripted and horribly acted,
: particularly the replimat scene. It doesn't help that their
: "situation," such as it is, is completely contrived and has been an
: annoying time-suck throughout this entire arc.

I agree with you here, believe it or not. I just wonder why Ezri and
Julian were attracted to each other in the first place: Julian I think
is so desperate after seven years that he'd go for anything that showed
an interest :) and Ezri -- well, I don't know. I thought it was rather
silly myself, as opposed to funny (the Ferengi storylines).

: DOMINION UNINTELLIGENCE OF THE WEEK: Apparently Dolly the Vorta and
: the Dominion really believed that Dumb-Ar and his companions were
: dead. But how could they be so inept? If they knew where Dumb-Ar was
: going and which ship he was in, couldn't they have scanned for
: transporter signals at either end? Couldn't they have scanned the

That surprises me, that they didn't have the ship under constant
surveillance from the moment it achieved orbit. Also, you forgot
to mention the turncoat thing: why did the Dominion plant turn on the
other Cardassians *before* Dumar landed with Garak and Kira? I would
have let them meet with me, and then surround the place with soldiers, or
"walk out" for some reason and blow up the room. In other words, the
Dominion plant turned too soon.

: ship and noticed that not enough people were aboard when it was
: destroyed?

Um, when it was destroyed, it'd be too late to scan for bodies, as they
would all presumably be destroyed.

: REBELLION UNINTELLIGENCE OF THE WEEK: Dumb-Ar lives up to his name,

: setting up a secret resistance meeting on Cardassia Prime, of all
: places, which is Dominion headquarters in the Alpha Quadrant. Writer

Cardassian generals who left their headquarters, especially as members
of a race that was in rebellion, would be suspected. Also, how
would they get there?? Their departure from Cardassia Prime would be
noticed, and probably tailed. Remember, Cardassians are under suspicion
from the get-go (they can't even carry weapons on ships anymore.) So
it would be easier for the generals to meet in a location on CP, where
they could more easily sneak off for a few hours.

Also, Dumar (who is perhaps my #2 favorite character in DS9) decided
that this was a risk worth taking, as 600K troops would potentially
defect to Dumar's rebellion.

: Fiat apparently dictated that Dumb-Ar be there in person to speechify

: the Cardassian people, but is there any other reason the meeting
: wouldn't have been set up elsewhere?

See above. Could the Cardassian generals get away, or even if they
could visit their troops, would the troops be in places where the
generals *could* meet together nearer the front lines.

: DISCONTINUTITY OF THE WEEK: Another slight breakdown of DS9's
: committee-writing process may have occurred here. In "Extreme
: Measures," it seemed to be implied that Odo had been made aware of
: Section 8's involvement in infecting him. After Bashir failed to get
: the information out of Sloan, he went to Odo saying, "It didn't work";
: presumably Odo knew what "it" was. Now, this took place while Bashir
: was unknowingly still in Sloan's head, but his talk with Odo seemed
: real and appropriate to Bashir. This week, of course, Bashir tells
: Odo about Section 8's actions for the first time.

Perhaps there were some details that Julian left out the first time??

But you are correct, this seems fairly glaring, perhaps more for the
first-time viewer's benefit than any plot.

: ANACHRONISM OF THE WEEK: If 24th Century medicine can replace any

: organ instantaneously, alter DNA, and map the locations of specific
: memories within the brain, why isn't contraception idiot-proof? The
: shots that Sisko and Kasidy talked about don't sound much more
: advanced than what is available today, and even calling them "shots"
: rather than "hyposprays" seemed out of place.

Their contraception seemed less reliable than ours. ;)

: RESET BUTTON OF THE WEEK: So Sisko's new ship is not only a

: Defiant-class ship but will be named Defiant, with only the carpet
: changed? Come on...

I liked the name Sao Paolo as well.

: NEXT WEEK: Boy, that preview was so overwrought and filled with hype
: ("An event for all time!"), that I almost forgot DS9 doesn't air on
: UPN.

I didn't see the commercials. :)

--
Shawn Pickrell: Randolph-Macon '97, George Mason '03
"So what you're telling me is that you didn't do shit all morning, and now

GeneK

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
The Federation was *already* at war with the Klingons when Kirk was
*ordered* to go to Organia, they got the notification at the very
beginning of "Errand of Mercy." Kirk and Kor actually inadvertantly
*ended* the war, by bringing it to the Organians' attention.

GeneK

Geoduck

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
On Fri, 04 Jun 1999 09:00:28 -0700, GeneK
<gene@genek_hates_spammers.com> wrote:

>The Federation was *already* at war with the Klingons when Kirk was
>*ordered* to go to Organia, they got the notification at the very
>beginning of "Errand of Mercy." Kirk and Kor actually inadvertantly
>*ended* the war, by bringing it to the Organians' attention.

(snip)

I think it would be more accurate to say the two sides were on the
brink of war- fighting hadn't actually broken out yet.

------
Geoduck
geo...@usa.net
http://www.olywa.net/cook

GeneK

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
During the teaser, the Enterprise is attacked by a Klingon ship.
After destroying it, they receive a signal from Starfleet Command,
"Code Factor One," or something like that. Kirk says, "Well, there
it is - war. We didn't want it, but now we've got it," and Spock
says, "Curious how often you humans seem to achieve that which you
do not want." (all quotes from memory, so may not be exactly word-
for-word). While all-out combat hadn't commenced, the "state of
war" existed.

GeneK

Karen Kaiser

Jun 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/5/99

> : CONTRIVANCE OF THE WEEK: The Grand Dingus calls Quark's Bar and
> : Grill, and speaks to Quark, thinking he is talking to Rom, and from
> : this, all the crapola in the episode ensues. Question: Why would the
> : Dingus have called Quark's if he wanted to talk to Rom? Rom doesn't
> : even work at the bar anymore, and he has his own quarters and,
> : presumably, his own vid-phone. Frankly, this makes this whole plot,
> : if it can be even dignified with that word, as phony as a three-dollar
> : bill.
>
> Doesn't (or didn't) Rom own the bar? It would be reasonable for Zek to
> make a transmission to the bar, expecting to contact Rom. Also, we must
> remember that Zek is going senile, otherwise why else would all the
> changes described be made? Either that or he is a puppet of Quark/Rom's
> mother; I am inclined to think the latter.

Actually yes the Grand Nagus is senile and Quark's mother is the power
behind the throne.

> I agree with you here, believe it or not. I just wonder why Ezri and
> Julian were attracted to each other in the first place: Julian I think
> is so desperate after seven years that he'd go for anything that showed
> an interest :) and Ezri -- well, I don't know. I thought it was rather
> silly myself, as opposed to funny (the Ferengi storylines).

Actually if I remember correctly Julian's had sex since the premiere and
not with Ezri. Wasn't there a blonde played by Daphne Ashbrook? I think
her name was Melora. And what about his romance with the genetically
enhanced girl?

Maureen Goldman

Jun 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/5/99

> > I agree with you here, believe it or not. I just wonder why Ezri and
> > Julian were attracted to each other in the first place: Julian I think
> > is so desperate after seven years that he'd go for anything that showed
> > an interest :) and Ezri -- well, I don't know. I thought it was rather
> > silly myself, as opposed to funny (the Ferengi storylines).

>Karen Kaiser <ci...@freenet.buffalo.edu> wrote:
> Actually if I remember correctly Julian's had sex since the premiere and
> not with Ezri. Wasn't there a blonde played by Daphne Ashbrook? I think
> her name was Melora. And what about his romance with the genetically
> enhanced girl?

Julian and Leeta were an item for quite a while.
--

Maureen Goldman

(For email, please clear away the FOG.)

Matt Frisch

Jun 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/5/99
On Fri, 04 Jun 1999 09:00:28 -0700, GeneK <gene@genek_hates_spammers.com>
scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>>

>> Kirk got the federation in a war with the klingons over Organia...or he
>> would have, if the organians hadn't turned up the thermostat on all the
>> weapons systems.
>

>The Federation was *already* at war with the Klingons when Kirk was
>*ordered* to go to Organia, they got the notification at the very
>beginning of "Errand of Mercy." Kirk and Kor actually inadvertantly
>*ended* the war, by bringing it to the Organians' attention.

They were hostile to one another, but not involved in open warfare (at the
time...open warfare had existed before, and nearly existed after).

Timothy Bruening

Mar 10, 2020, 6:41:00 PM3/10/20
On Saturday, May 29, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, David E. Sluss wrote:
> C Y N I C S
> R Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: "The Dogs of War"
> N as reviewed by David E. Sluss with Cheryl M. Capezzuti
> R copyright (c) 1999 Tiger Bay Publishing
>
> Spoilers ahead!

> THE BOTTOM LINE: For the most part, the storylines in this episode
> live up to their name: dogs.
>
> CYNICS CORNER RATING: 5.0
>
> MYSTERY OF THE WEEK: Who decided that "closure" for the "Ferengi
> situation" was necessary? During this closing arc, with the exception
> of the Worf/Ezri/Julian nonsense, the writers have managed to stay
> pretty focused on the important storylines that need to be addressed.
> Even last week's "Extreme Measures," while seriously botched, was
> dealing with something worthwhile. But in the penultimate episode of
> the series, it's practically a crime for half the show to be devoted
> to Ferengi slapstick. Does _anyone_ care what Rom's fate will be, or
> who will replace Zek as Grand Dingus? Was this whole episode crafted
> just so Jeffrey Combs could play both of his recurring characters in
> the same episode?

How in the world did Grand Nagus Zek get the other leading Ferenghi to swallow his reforms (taxes, social programs for the poor, etc)?

Tim Bruening

Mar 13, 2020, 6:52:33 PM3/13/20
On Saturday, May 29, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, David E. Sluss wrote:
> C Y N I C S
> R Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: "The Dogs of War"
> N as reviewed by David E. Sluss with Cheryl M. Capezzuti
> R copyright (c) 1999 Tiger Bay Publishing
>
> Spoilers ahead!

> THE BOTTOM LINE: For the most part, the storylines in this episode
> live up to their name: dogs.
>
> CYNICS CORNER RATING: 5.0
>
> MYSTERY OF THE WEEK: Who decided that "closure" for the "Ferengi
> situation" was necessary? During this closing arc, with the exception
> of the Worf/Ezri/Julian nonsense, the writers have managed to stay
> pretty focused on the important storylines that need to be addressed.
> Even last week's "Extreme Measures," while seriously botched, was
> dealing with something worthwhile. But in the penultimate episode of
> the series, it's practically a crime for half the show to be devoted
> to Ferengi slapstick. Does _anyone_ care what Rom's fate will be, or
> who will replace Zek as Grand Dingus? Was this whole episode crafted
> just so Jeffrey Combs could play both of his recurring characters in
> the same episode?
>
> CONTRIVANCE OF THE WEEK: The Grand Dingus calls Quark's Bar and
> Grill, and speaks to Quark, thinking he is talking to Rom, and from
> this, all the crapola in the episode ensues. Question: Why would the
> Dingus have called Quark's if he wanted to talk to Rom? Rom doesn't
> even work at the bar anymore, and he has his own quarters and,
> presumably, his own vid-phone. Frankly, this makes this whole plot,
> if it can be even dignified with that word, as phony as a three-dollar
> bill.

Rom must not have given Zek his new contact into!

Timothy Bruening

Jul 14, 2020, 3:06:17 PM7/14/20
Odo has been cured of the disease Section 31 gave him, but the Founders are still infected. The Federation Council considered giving the Founders the cure, but decided not to, as that would strengthen the Dominion's hand. Why don't they offer to give the Founders the cure, in return for them agreeing to vacate the Alpha Quadrant?