"A Simple Investigation"

Calypso

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

I'm interested to know what people thought about the latest episode
"A Simple Investigation". I found it to be *interesting*. A part of me
liked to see Odo pining after someone else other than Kira - and since
Odo did spend some time as a solid I thought it would be only natural
for him to eventually have a relationship. Rene Auberjenois did a good
job in this episode - I also liked the little scene in the back seat of
the car with Bashir. Yet I left this episode feeling something was not
quite right, but I'm not sure what.

Didn't Odo tell Kira in a recent episode ("Dr.Bashir, I presume," - I
think) that he was getting rid of the bed because in the middle of the
night he just reverted to is natural state and ended up on the floor ?

State your comments !!!

"I think you humanoid spend far too much time on your respective mating
rituals."
- Odo - "The Forsaken"

Richard Chuen-Shiuh Chu

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

Calypso wrote:

> I'm interested to know what people thought about the latest episode
> "A Simple Investigation".

I thought it was a pretty good story "for" "about" Odo. BTW, what are
"bedroom eyes"? It's healthy that Odo is expanding his social
abilities--among other things. What bothers me is that Odo has so many
tragic stories!

> I also liked the little scene in the back seat of
> the car with Bashir.

I thought it was hilarious at the end of that scene! I wish though
they would expand that story device more. I'm not sure how, but I losed
"Our Man Bashir."

> "I think you humanoid spend far too much time on your respective mating
> rituals."
> - Odo - "The Forsaken"

Look who's talking: "I don't ever want to leave this room!" Odo - "A
Simple Investigation"

Richard.

Calypso

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

Richard Chuen-Shiuh Chu wrote:

> I thought it was a pretty good story "for" "about" Odo. BTW,
> what are "bedroom eyes"? I don't know - I've never heard that used before... I thought it was
weird- maybe that's what bothered me - I still can't figure it out.

> It's healthy that Odo is expanding his social abilities--among other
> things. What bothers me is that Odo has so many tragic stories!

Odo is the shows tragic hero... he's had it so rough. First he
didn't know who his people were, then he found out they were the
founders, then he lost Kira to Shakkar, then his people forced him to
harm another changeling, then they punished him, he got stuck on a
frozen planet with Quark, then he lost a changeling baby, he became a
changeling again, lost this Arissa chick... geeze poor guy.

Rick Ridgway

Apr 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/5/97

Message follows, Free spoiler space added:

This spoiler space for rent

Calypso wrote:

> I'm interested to know what people thought about the latest episode

> "A Simple Investigation". I found it to be *interesting*. A part of me
> liked to see Odo pining after someone else other than Kira - and since
> Odo did spend some time as a solid I thought it would be only natural
> for him to eventually have a relationship. Rene Auberjenois did a good

> job in this episode - I also liked the little scene in the back seat of

> the car with Bashir. Yet I left this episode feeling something was not
> quite right, but I'm not sure what.

I thought it was about time as well. I just wish they hadn't
hit that stupid reset button and made her a wrinkly-foreheaded
alien with a husband. C'mon already!! Odo can't be that much of
a loser. Mr. Wolfe, give Odo a break, will ya?

Odo had a chance for his own Cassidy Yates without the jail time.
Rene and the actress had a great chemistry together, and it would
have made a nice recurring storyline. I know you gave her the option
to come back, but the ending still felt forced.

OTOH, we had a chance to see Kira get jealous, which was well written.
Kinda like, "Waitaminnut! That's MY Odo!".

<<A general chorus of clapping for the whole cast on the acting in this
ep.>>

And the holodeck thing ran very well. No mishaps, no "the holodeck's
screwed up again" and we didn't get the whole storyline. I was happy
with that part.

> Didn't Odo tell Kira in a recent episode ("Dr.Bashir, I presume," - I
> think) that he was getting rid of the bed because in the middle of the
> night he just reverted to is natural state and ended up on the floor ?

Since he planned her staying, I think he probably just got the bed
back out of storage, or re-replicated, or however they do such things.

> State your comments !!!

I just did!!!

Rick Ridgway
(rid...@world-access.com)

Timothy Bruening

Feb 19, 2020, 6:59:39 AM2/19/20
Arissa was married. Why was a married women allowed to go on an long term assignment in which she would be separated from her husband, lose her memories, and likely die?

Timothy Bruening

Feb 19, 2020, 7:12:20 AM2/19/20
What did Arissa's husband DO for the two years she was away? What did he think she was doing for those two years? I assume that he wouldn't have been told about her infiltrating the Orian Syndicate for security reasons.

Daniel60

Feb 20, 2020, 1:15:50 AM2/20/20
Yeap, that's all fairly reasonable, Tim, and I would expect that the
husband would know, generally, that she was being 'mind wiped' and sent
undercover for some time to infiltrate the bad guys gang.

The husband would, probably, also know that at the end of her mission,
she would, again, have her mind wiped so she wouldn't know what she had
done in those two years, and would have had her previous identity
re-installed in her mind .... as though she had gone to sleep .... and
then woken up two years later.

Maybe like in real life people being in a Coma for two years!!

--
Daniel

Tim Bruening

Feb 20, 2020, 6:43:42 PM2/20/20
I assumed that she would remember, so that she could testify in the subsequent trials of Orion Syndicate members!

Daniel60

Feb 21, 2020, 12:50:02 AM2/21/20
The testifying would occur *before* the un-mind wipe, I'm guessing, Tim.

--
Daniel

Tim Bruening

Feb 21, 2020, 6:33:52 AM2/21/20
I saw Arissa's memories restored. At that point, she remembered her marriage, but also seemed to remember her affair with Odo, and hadn't yet been debriefed re her adventures with the Orions. I thus assumed that her experiences with the Orions & Odo would not be wiped in exchange for her original memories.

> --
> Daniel

Daniel60

Feb 22, 2020, 4:07:49 AM2/22/20
Tim, I did watch ST:DS9, way back when, and do not actually remember the
sequence of activities you mention. I was just theorising my responses
above, so I'm going to leave off here.

Back to Doctor Who!!
--
Daniel

Timothy Bruening

Feb 22, 2020, 9:22:04 PM2/22/20
To set up Arissa's mission, her superiors would have had to devise a cover story to A: Explain her extended absence from her husband's side; B: Get her husband to agree to NO CONTACT AT ALL for a long time; And C: Preserve Arissa's marriage.

I would want to use someone who is romantically uncommitted to avoid such complications.