American Sports Fans Would Even Watch Soccer At This Point

Ubiquitous

Apr 16, 2020, 12:44:23 PM4/16/20
US - With the suspended or cancelled sports seasons, fans and media
companies alike are desperate for content. ESPN is featuring
tournaments of professional athletes playing video games with each
other and basketballers playing remote games of horse. Classic games
and championship series are being reaired on sports radio stations and
networks around the country. The distress is getting intense, and,
according to one study, some Americans are almost ready to settle for
soccer.

Sports Illustrated surveyed its online users to gauge where the level
of desperation is during this crisis. According to the results, 58% of
American sports fans were "almost willing" to watch an entire soccer
game if it were new content. This is a huge spike from the .7% that
Sports Illustrated reported in a similar survey last year.

"You can only watch reruns and old highlights so much," said one fan.
"I need to see new games. I'm seriously close to being able to watch
guys run around a field for an hour and a half and only score one goal.
It's that bad."

While interest in the sport scored higher than ever, a slightly higher
percentage of fans said they'd be more entertained by watching the
grass grow on the soccer field than actually watching a game.

--
Every American should want President Trump and his administration to
handle the coronavirus epidemic effectively and successfully. Those who

Rhino

Apr 16, 2020, 2:23:05 PM4/16/20
On 2020-04-16 4:36 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
> US - With the suspended or cancelled sports seasons, fans and media
> companies alike are desperate for content. ESPN is featuring
> tournaments of professional athletes playing video games with each
> other and basketballers playing remote games of horse.

Games of horse? I'm not a sports fan by any stretch of the imagination
but I'm not dead either and I've never heard of a game called horse.

>Classic games
> and championship series are being reaired on sports radio stations and
> networks around the country. The distress is getting intense, and,
> according to one study, some Americans are almost ready to settle for
> soccer.
>
> Sports Illustrated surveyed its online users to gauge where the level
> of desperation is during this crisis. According to the results, 58% of
> American sports fans were "almost willing" to watch an entire soccer
> game if it were new content. This is a huge spike from the .7% that
> Sports Illustrated reported in a similar survey last year.
>
> "You can only watch reruns and old highlights so much," said one fan.
> "I need to see new games. I'm seriously close to being able to watch
> guys run around a field for an hour and a half and only score one goal.
> It's that bad."
>
> While interest in the sport scored higher than ever, a slightly higher
> percentage of fans said they'd be more entertained by watching the
> grass grow on the soccer field than actually watching a game.
>
> --
> Every American should want President Trump and his administration to
> handle the coronavirus epidemic effectively and successfully. Those who
> seem eager to see the president fail and to call every administration
> misstep a fiasco risk letting their partisanship blind them to the
> demands not only of civic responsibility but of basic decency.

--
Rhino

suzeeq

Apr 16, 2020, 2:27:09 PM4/16/20
On 4/16/2020 11:23 AM, Rhino wrote:
> On 2020-04-16 4:36 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>> US - With the suspended or cancelled sports seasons, fans and media
>> companies alike are desperate for content. ESPN is featuring
>> tournaments of professional athletes playing video games with each
>> other and basketballers playing remote games of horse.
>
> Games of horse? I'm not a sports fan by any stretch of the imagination
> but I'm not dead either and I've never heard of a game called horse.

It's a 2 or 3 man game taking shots at the basket. When one misses they
get a letter, and whichever spells HORSE first loses. Or they get a
letter when they get a basket and winner is the first one two spell it
out. Seriously, you've never heard of this? Maybe it's only played in
the US.

Jim G.

Apr 16, 2020, 2:44:43 PM4/16/20
suzeeq sent the following on 4/16/20 at 1:27 PM:
We played a TON of games of HORSE as kids. The last game of the night,
though, was usually rushed and called PIG. :)

"I'm really glad we're at this place in our relationship where we can
dig up graves together without having to talk." -- Major Lillywhite, iZOMBIE

Ian J. Ball

Apr 16, 2020, 3:07:23 PM4/16/20
On 2020-04-16 18:44:41 +0000, Jim G. said:

> suzeeq sent the following on 4/16/20 at 1:27 PM:
>>>
>>> Games of horse? I'm not a sports fan by any stretch of the imagination
>>> but I'm not dead either and I've never heard of a game called horse.
>>
>> It's a 2 or 3 man game taking shots at the basket. When one misses they
>> get a letter, and whichever spells HORSE first loses. Or they get a
>> letter when they get a basket and winner is the first one two spell it
>> out. Seriously, you've never heard of this? Maybe it's only played in
>> the US.
>
> We played a TON of games of HORSE as kids. The last game of the night,
> though, was usually rushed and called PIG. :)

Was drinking of shots involved?... ;p

Rhino

Apr 16, 2020, 3:20:56 PM4/16/20
This is the first I'm hearing of it. Mind you, I haven't picked up a
basketball since high school and that's WAY back in my rear view mirror.
Maybe it's a more recent innovation. Or maybe, as you say, we don't play
horse up here.

--
Rhino

Jim G.

Apr 16, 2020, 3:29:30 PM4/16/20
Ian J. Ball sent the following on 4/16/20 at 2:07 PM:
> On 2020-04-16 18:44:41 +0000, Jim G. said:
>
>> suzeeq sent the following on 4/16/20 at 1:27 PM:

>>> It's a 2 or 3 man game taking shots at the basket. When one misses they
>>> get a letter, and whichever spells HORSE first loses. Or they get a
>>> letter when they get a basket and winner is the first one two spell it
>>> out. Seriously, you've never heard of this? Maybe it's only played in
>>> the US.
>>
>> We played a TON of games of HORSE as kids. The last game of the night,
>> though, was usually rushed and called PIG. :)
>
> Was drinking of shots involved?... ;p

Heh. No, the HORSE stage of life mostly ended at age 14 or so.

suzeeq

Apr 16, 2020, 4:18:59 PM4/16/20
I've never played it myself, that's why I don't know if you get a letter
if you miss a shot, or get it in. But I have seen it on tv. ;)

moviePig

Apr 16, 2020, 4:49:19 PM4/16/20
Which one gives you a letter depends on what it is you're spelling...

Ubiquitous

Apr 16, 2020, 8:28:27 PM4/16/20
The game is called MOOSE in Canada.

Roger Blake

Apr 16, 2020, 11:48:56 PM4/16/20
On 2020-04-16, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
> US - With the suspended or cancelled sports seasons, fans and media
> companies alike are desperate for content.

Perhaps, but soccer is not a real sport.

The US Census, what info must you give? -- http://censusfacts.info
Don't talk to cops! -- http://www.DontTalkToCops.com
Badges don't grant extra rights -- http://www.CopBlock.org