Re: Chelsea "Howdy Doody" Clinton said she didn't think 'Saturday Night Live' joking about her as a child was 'funny or OK'

1 view

Fred J McCall

Sep 10, 2022, 6:10:03 PM9/10/22
In article <t2fn3e$3jbnm$2...@news.freedyn.de>
governo...@gmail.com wrote:

> She looks like fucking Howdy Doody.

Ugly kids are fair game.

Chelsea Clinton said she didn't think "SNL" jokes about her when
she was young were "funny or OK."

A "Wayne's World" sketch on the show made jokes about Clinton's
appearance when she was 13.

Mike Myers, who plays Wayne, apologized to the Clintons in a
letter in 1993.

Chelsea Clinton said that she didn't believe jokes about her as
a child on shows like "Saturday Night Live" were "funny or OK."

In the first episode of "Gutsy," the eight-episode Apple TV+
series that Chelsea hosts alongside her mother Hillary Clinton,
she reflected on growing up in the spotlight as the child of a
sitting president.

"I had a different experience with comedy in some ways than a
lot of people, because I was made fun of so much as a child, by
people who were professional comics," Chelsea said when asked if
she would ever do stand-up comedy.

She said that comments from conservative pundits like Rush
Limbaugh were easier to brush off because she knew that they had
more to do with her parents than her.

"But when 'SNL' made fun of me, I was like, 'Wow, a group of
adults sat in a room, all decided this was a good idea, nobody
thought maybe we shouldn't make fun of children,'" she said. "I
was like, 'Oh, I just don't think that's funny or OK, so I just
don't think comedy's funny or OK.'"

A "Wayne's World" sketch in a 1992 episode of "Saturday Night
Live" included remarks on then-13-year-old Chelsea's looks, the
Seattle Times reported that year. Mike Myers, who played Wayne,
wrote an apology letter to the Clintons, and "SNL" executive
producer said that after "reflection," if the sketch was
"hurtful" it "wasn't worth it," per the Seattle Times. The joke
was cut from subsequent reruns of the sketch.

<https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/yajcbaevzSQWCwXCcPAEmA--
/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTcwNTtoPTUyOTtjZj13ZWJw/https://s
.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/.GcIN7I9Q3zNwbcYCB1Z7Q--
~B/aD0xNDAxO3c9MTg2ODthcHBpZD15dGFjaHlvbg--
/https://media.zenfs.com/en/insider_article
s_922/d618e53f5c2f710fd5b8cb95812524b2>

In a 1993 interview with People, Bill Clinton said that "you
gotta be pretty insensitive" to make jokes about a child.

"We really work hard on making sure that Chelsea doesn't let
other people define her sense of self-worth," he said at the
time.

Read the original article on Insider

https://news.yahoo.com/chelsea-clinton-said-she-didnt-
131652141.html