SNL Faces Calls To Be Canceled "Because It's Awful" After Mocking Rogan, Cruz: "Embarrassing And Sad""

Ubiquitous

Nov 15, 2021, 11:39:40 AM11/15/21
"Saturday Night Live" is facing calls to be taken off the air by critics who
charge that the show has fallen so much from where it once was that pulling
it off the air might be the most compassionate move.

The calls for the show to be taken off the air and the mockery that it
received over the weekend came in response to the show's cold open, which
mocked Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) and famed podcast host Joe Rogan.

Pete Davidson, who played Rogan, was at the center of the backlash over the
following interaction that he had with Big Bird:

DAVIDSON: [Inaudible] I used to host Fear Factor and now doctors
fear me.

BIG BIRD: Can you help me, Joe?

DAVIDSON: Oh, sure thing, Big Bird. You see, I took Carlos Mencia
down, I can take COVID. Here's some zinc and ayahuasca and some
horse medicine.

BIG BIRD: Well, why would a bird take horse medicine?

DAVIDSON: I'm a human and I took horse medicine and I'm speaking of
things that are horse-like.

WATCH:
Joe Rogan stopped by Cruz Street. pic.twitter.com/YAaadm2reH

- Saturday Night Live - SNL (@nbcsnl) November 14, 2021

Below are just a few of the most notable responses to the clip:

• Ben Shapiro, The Daily Wire: "Every time I think the comedic community has
hit the bottom of the comedy barrel, they somehow find a new level of
unfunniness."

• Tim Dillon, comedian: "People saying SNL hasn't been funny since the 70s
are wrong. Farley, Rock, Sandler, Meyers, Norm.. Cheri Oteri and Molly
Shannon were brilliant. Tracey Morgan! Also the Hader/McKinnon era was funny.
It's maybe the singular greatest US comedy platform. But this sketch was BAD.
And not bad because of made fun of Joe or Ivermectin. But it did it in the
laziest way possible. It was talking points and not jokes. Comedy shows can
have a point of view: mine does. But it should also occasionally have
comedy."

• Lisa De Pasquale, author: "Joe Rogan talking about this sketch will be
funnier than anything on SNL in the last 10 years - and be to a bigger
audience."

• Eric July, rapper: "Who the fuck is even laughing at this shit, aside from
how terrible it is?"

• Matt Whitlock, political strategist: "SNL thought they had a hit with
female cast members dressed as Republicans with Melissa McCarthy so they've
done it several more times and none have been close to the first. Now it's
just for claps, not laughs."

• Kyle Mann, The Babylon Bee: "Why are liberals so bad at comedy."

• Frank Fleming, The Babylon Bee: "If they have to come up with a sketch a
day and are part-timers - only have an hour or less to come up with something
- this is acceptable."

• Chad Zumock, comedian: "Shane Gillis dodged a bullet. This was
embarrassing."

• Ryan Hanley, businessman: "This is sad. Even if you hate @joerogan.ugh.this
is embarrassing and sad."

• Pat Dixon, comedian: "Said this two yrs ago but @Shanemgillis dodged a
bullet."

• Johnny Bell, comedian: "Cancel SNL. Not because of their obvious political
agenda, but because it's awful now. So sad."

• Andrew Kloster, attorney: "They have to self-consciously be seeking cringe
views. there has to be a point in a market economy where self-parody is a
strategy."

• Paul Thacker, athlete: "God this is just awful. Wow."

• Katherine Brodsky, writer: "As you know, I'm generally against cancelling
things & I used to love SNL. But if this is it, if this is something they
feel proud to put out.pulling the plug might be the most kind thing to do."

• Zaid Jilani, writer: "If you go to any improv theater in America you'll
find much funnier stuff than what's on SNL. Support your local improv scene!"

• Hodgetwins, comedians: "This is cringy even for SNL."

• Chris Wilson, political strategist: "What's really stunning is some people
wrote this and thought it was funny. And then, presumably, read it to people
who also thought it was funny."

• Ian Miles Cheong, writer: "State-sanctioned comedy. This is what passes
under the establishment now. You're permitted to laugh at this. You're not
permitted to laugh at Dave Chappelle's jokes about trans people."

• Buck Sexton, radio host: "It's not fair to compare this to Pravda. Pravda
was much funnier than this."

--
Let's go Brandon!

BTR1701

Nov 15, 2021, 2:45:59 PM11/15/21
In article <smu2ga$900$1...@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE is facing calls to be taken off the air by critics who
> charge that the show has fallen so much from where it once was that pulling
> it off the air might be the most compassionate move.

> -- Ian Miles Cheong, writer: "State-sanctioned comedy. This is what passes
> under the establishment now. You're permitted to laugh at this. You're not
> permitted to laugh at Dave Chappelle's jokes about trans people."

This. We've moved into an era of 'approved entertainment'. Comedy,
movies, music... it all must bear the imprimatur of approval from the
woke crowd or it's not allowed.

BTR1701

Nov 15, 2021, 2:51:03 PM11/15/21
In article <smu2ga$900$1...@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> "Saturday Night Live" is facing calls to be taken off the air by critics who
> charge that the show has fallen so much from where it once was that pulling
> it off the air might be the most compassionate move.

They're also still doing that ridiculous bullshit at the end where the
cast, host, and musical guest wave goodbye to everyone and they're all
wearing masks.

They've been in the same studio for the past 90 minutes doing sketches
without masks but suddenly in the very last scene, they all need to wear
them?

Even the band in the back is wearing them (except for the guys playing
wind instruments-- saxes and trumpets-- who are actually 1000 times more
dangerous than anyone else with regard to spreading a viral load around
a room) in the final scene when they weren't wearing masks in the
background during the opening monologue.

Masking has literally become performative theater at this point.

Ubiquitous

Nov 16, 2021, 7:54:10 AM11/16/21
++

Mr. Nelson Asante Marthins

Nov 16, 2021, 3:26:30 PM11/16/21
Comedy must have an element of truth in it in order to be funny - especially
current events/political comedy. Every single SNL sketch along these lines
has been completely based on false premises, and, thus, not only completely
unfunny, but pathetically embarrassing whether the reason is ignorance or just
plain brazenly lying.