SNL turning an episode into a Kim Kardashian infomercial is part of its identity crisis

Terrence Clay

Oct 11, 2021, 3:37:04 PM10/11/21
https://www.avclub.com/kim-kardashian-west-hosting-saturday-night-live-is-part-1847834282

"In reviewing a Kim Kardashian West-hosted episode of SNL, I’m reminded of the gag in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt where socialite Jacqueline’s decidedly unplugged-from-pop-culture mom realizes to her dismay that she’s absorbed far more information about the Kardashian family than she ever imagined," says Dennis Perkins. "Tonight, there were at least three other Kardashian-Jenners kicking around, with the studio audience dutifully popping in recognition, all hinting, like the monologue, about some hard-nosed backstage negotiating. The Kardashian brand is fame, and Kim represented the label with her customary diligence, dragging along mother and a few sisters into the lucrative limelight. She joked in the monologue that SNL’s measly viewership pales in comparison to the follower count of her heavily branded social media empire, and she’s right. The Kardashians don’t need Saturday Night Live. That Saturday Night Live appeared so willing to turn over a pivotal, early-season episode to a non-performer and her family/product suggests that SNL has no idea what it needs, either."

BTR1701

Oct 12, 2021, 1:11:09 PM10/12/21
In article <n3466641-dda3-4cca...@googlegroups.com>,
tmc...@gmail.com wrote:

> https://www.avclub.com/kim-kardashian-west-hosting-saturday-night-live-is-part
I'm no fan of Kardashian, but what does her being a 'non-performer' have
to do with anything? SNL routinely has non-performers host-- athletes,
politicians, businessmen (Elon Musk, Trump). Suddenly being a performer
is a vital tick on the resume?

(And anyone who thinks that the reality show she's on isn't a
performance is too naive to be allowed outside without supervision.)

anim8rfsk

Oct 12, 2021, 1:33:54 PM10/12/21
Debra Messing is at least as stupid as Kim Kardashian and probably smells
almost as bad.