SNL is losing its anchor and heart with Kate McKinnon's departure

Terrence Clay

May 23, 2022, 1:22:14 AM5/23/22
https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2022/05/snl-kate-mckinnon/629948/

Saturday Night Live bid farewell to longtime cast members McKinnon, Pete Davidson, Aidy Bryant and Kyle Mooney in last night's Season 47 finale. But of the four, the loss of McKinnon will hurt the most, says Amanda Wicks. It was always clear that McKinnon, who joined SNL for the final five episodes of Season 37 and stuck around for 10 more seasons to appear in more episodes than any other female cast member in the show's history, was going to be a star from her first sketch on April 7, 2012, says Wicks. "In many ways," Wicks adds, "McKinnon has been the heart of SNL since arriving a decade ago. As an ensemble comedy, the show requires cast members who support one another in service of a sketch—a lesson it learned after Chevy Chase’s departure following the first season. McKinnon’s talent pulled the spotlight, but she was an equally adept scene partner. She didn’t use her talents to isolate herself. Instead, she put nervous hosts at ease and warmly made room for everyone to do their best. The results read on camera: She always seemed like she was having the most fun. As the show’s first openly gay woman, and thanks to her time on The Big Gay Sketch Show, McKinnon played queer characters in a way that punched up. That satirical playfulness brought greater visibility to LGBTQ characters on what’s arguably the best known comedy stage in the world. Still, when given the opportunity to use SNL’s conspicuous platform, she would speak up and out, as she did against Florida’s recent 'Don’t Say Gay' bill." Wicks adds that with McKinnon's departure, SNL "is losing its anchor. It has survived such losses before, but with its 50th anniversary quickly approaching, and with grim headlines and a global pandemic still creating problems for the comedy institution, it’s unclear what will develop in her absence. In the meantime, I, for one, can’t wait until she returns to host."

ALSO:

https://deadline.com/2022/05/kate-mckinnon-aidy-bryant-kyle-mooney-pete-davidson-leave-saturday-night-live-sendoff-season-47-finale-1235029757/
The Season 47 finale was a rare throwback to a time when SNL cast members received proper sendoffs: "(Kate) McKinnon, (Aidy) Bryant and (Pete) Davidson, who have all become household names since SNL launched their careers, all got individual sendoffs with some of their most popular recurring skits. (Kyle) Mooney, who has spent most of his time on the show as a valuable but underrated performer, made an understated — yet dramatic — exit," says Nellie Andreeva. "Overall, the episode, hosted by Natasha Lyonne, was a throwback to a time when longtime SNL cast members used to receive proper sendoffs in the season finale capping their runs. The last big one came during the 2012 season finale, with host and musical guest Mick Jagger. It said goodbye to Jason Sudeikis, Andy Samberg and Kristen Wiig who had completed seven-year tenures. The episode famously ended with Jagger leading a dancing sendoff for Wiig to the Rolling Stones’ 'She’s a Rainbow' and 'Ruby Tuesday.'"

https://www.salon.com/2022/05/22/saturday-night-live-will-be-trash-without-aidy-bryant/
Saturday Night Live is going to be pure trash without Aidy Bryant: "Only 25 when she joined the show, Bryant stole every sketch she was in," says Kelly McClure. "Even if she was only intended to be a background player, Bryant's energy, vocal delivery, and perfect timing made her impossible to look away from; unlike (Pete) Davidson who always kinda looked like he was doing someone a favor by being there, exhibiting the energy of a guy doing a TikTok bit at the request of his girlfriend...After leading three seasons of her fantastic TV show outside of SNL, Shrill, as well as making notable appearances in other shows like Girls, Portlandia, and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, there are surely big things ahead for Bryant, but that doesn't mean it won't sting to not have her to look forward to every week on SNL."

https://www.avclub.com/natasha-lyonne-demonstrates-a-truly-cosmic-connection-t-1848960381
Natasha Lyonne delivered the best monologue of the season: "Lyonne’s monologue was well written and perfectly delivered," says Michael Martin. "It not only ran through her extensive résumé (from Pee-Wee’s Playhouse to the cult favorite But I’m A Cheerleader) but went to revelatory places about her life. Lyonne zinged her current starring role on Netflix’s Russian Doll ('Two things you definitely want to be associated with right now—Russia and Netflix') and SNL itself ('I love … people who’ve done the same thing since the ‘70s'). Bonus points for (Fred) Armisen (with whom she starred in a sex tape 'no one wanted to buy') and (Maya) Rudolph showing up to do their impressions of her distinctive voice. A nice touch: Lyonne ended by noting her battle with drug addiction and said, 'There always a reason to get back in the ring and fight another day.' This was a great piece of writing from start to finish, precision-crafted, and Lyonne’s delivery made it the best monologue of the season (and perhaps a few)."

https://www.pastemagazine.com/comedy/natasha-lyonne-snl-review/
When it comes to politics, SNL should stop equating "above-it-all hipness with rebelliousness": "I’m tired. I’m sure everyone at Saturday Night Live is tired," says Dennis Perkins. "Writing six or so years of Trump and GOP-related material in a daily atmosphere of fear and outrage that white Americans are choosing increasingly hateful and violent fundamentalist nationalism over democracy has to be a grind. (And toss a two year pandemic on top, just for added fun.) But that’s their job, and Saturday Night Live’s reputation for sticking it to power and making fun of those most worthy of ridicule has never looked more threadbare and impotent. I’ve written (a lot) about how SNL has never been as politically radical as its rep. (From the start, its role as a live weekly affront to the medium of television—and entertainment more generally—was much more powerful.) But the worst and most dangerous times are when satirists make their bones. Under (Michael) Che and (Colin) Jost’s leadership, Saturday Night Live is far, far too content to coast on that reputation, equating above-it-all hipness with rebelliousness. Again, if SNL wants to bail on politics and just produce an apolitical show, then that’s a valid choice. (It would have to be a lot funnier to justify that, however.) But don’t toss off some lukewarm, toothless premise like this one and pat yourself on the back as you check off 'politics' on the rundown."

https://www.eonline.com/news/1331917/pete-davidson-says-goodbye-to-snl-in-touching-letter
Hours before his final show, Pete Davidson a heartfelt letter posted and a throwback video with Jerrod Carmichael from eight years ago: "This video was taken 8 years ago," Davidson wrote. "Jerrod sent it to me last night and it made me super emotional in the best way. In the video I had just gotten back from doing my very first update and sketch. It’s crazy to think that today I’ll be doing my last one. When I got the show I was 20 years old and I had no idea what I was doing. I still don’t but especially back then. I wasn’t really a sketch performer I was just a stand up. I knew I could never keep up or go toe to toe with a Kenan Thompson or a Kate McKinnon so I was super scared at figuring out what I could possibly bring to or do for such a historic, respected show and platform. I figured since I’m a stand up I’ll just try my stand up and personal bits on Weekend Update as myself and I’m so glad I did. I got to share so much with this audience and literally grow up in front of your eyes. We were together through the good and the bad, the happiest and the darkest of times. I owe Lorne Michaels and everyone at SNL my life. Im so grateful and I wouldn’t be here without them."

https://mashable.com/video/pete-davidson-leaving-snl
Pete Davidson did his typical self-deprecating schtick while saying goodbye on "Weekend Update"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BgvxLd7G0Y
Eminem helps Pete Davidson spoof "Forget About Dre" with cut-for-time "Forget About Lorne"

Ubiquitous

May 24, 2022, 7:46:51 AM5/24/22

TROLL-O-METER

5* 6* *7