EXCLUSIVE: Smallville Reboot Coming To The DC Streaming Service

Ubiquitous

Apr 1, 2018, 9:43:07 AM4/1/18
Metropolis isn’t the only Super-story headed to the DC Comics digital
streaming service in 2019.

KryptonSite’s sources have told us that running concurrent with the big
city-set show will be a reboot taking place a few years earlier… in
Smallville. But unlike the first time around, it’ll be yes tights and
yes flights as Smallville 2019 is a full-fledged Superboy series.

Studio Warner Bros. has been EXTREMELY tight-lipped about this one,
though we are hearing that original Smallville creators Alfred Gough and
Miles Millar may be involved. Additionally, this new show will start
where the original series did: with Clark Kent in high school, pining
after Lana Lang who is dating the star football player. And, of course
there is a Chloe, and it sounds like the first season will adopt some of
the “freak of the week” format that launched Smallville back in 2001.
Unfortunately due to Metropolis, though, Lois Lane and Lex Luthor will
have to wait, though it does sound like we’ll see Lex in five episodes
of the first season, and that producers are hoping to make the most out
of Lex in the time they have him.

We’re not too sure about this whole not having Lex all the time thing,
as Lex Luthor’s journey in the original show was so important, but we’ve
been wrong before: Originally, we rolled our eyes at the notion of a
series about Superman’s grandpa but it’s turned out to be great! We’re
also surprised this is going to the streaming service and not The CW; I
guess it is to be assumed that they are already reboot-heavy with
Charmed and Roswell updates coming this year.

We have obtained casting breakdowns for the new series (source: here)
which you can see below. These breakdowns imply a 13-episode “Season 1”
for the show, and interestingly enough, the casting directors seem to be
open to diversity when it comes to casting young Clark.

CLARK KENT: Awkward, nerdy, 15. Wears glasses and despite having an
inexplicably ripped body for his age, he doesn’t show it off or use his
physical prowess on sports just yet. He’s just now learning the true
nature of his abilities. After saving some classmates on a bus, Clark
adopts the costumed alter ego of Superboy. Open ethnicity. SERIES
REGULAR (13/13).

PETE ROSS: The star football player of Smallville High, boyfriend of
Lana Lang and rival for her affections. His interaction with Clark
becomes complicated when he is the first to discover Clark’s secret.
SERIES REGULAR (13/13). (KryptonSite note: It seems that this reboot is
combining the “Pete” and “Whitney” characters. It also seems like he’s a
much larger presence this time around.)

LANA LANG: The quintessential hometown girl. Lana is a community
volunteer, on several committees at school, and works part-time at her
Aunt’s coffee shop, The Talon, where her parents met. She is not aware
that her parents’ death coincided with the arrival of Clark on Earth….
SERIES REGULAR (13/13).

CHLOE SULLIVAN: Turned on to journalism by her cousin Lois, a journalism
student hoping to someday land at the Daily Planet. Editor of the
Smallville Torch in her freshman year; the Torch offices are her own
personal Fortress of Solitude. Harbors feelings for Clark who seems to
only have eyes for Lana. Open ethnicity. SERIES REGULAR (13/13).

JONATHAN KENT: Proud adoptive father of Clark Kent. Farmer. Doesn’t
approve of him going around in a costume, though if he’s doing it, he
wants to make sure that his son does it safely. Strong arbiter of
teaching Clark about right and wrong. SERIES REGULAR (10/13).

MARTHA KENT: Adoptive mother of Clark Kent. Very cool with his Super
alter-ego; even helps make his costume. Has a secret connection to Dr.
Swann that she has kept from the family for 15 years… SERIES REGULAR
(10/13).

KENNY BRAVERMAN: The wild card and outcast. People say he’s been
inventing all kinds of weird things in his garage…. with that said, it
appears that Clark and Chloe might be his only real friends. SERIES
REGULAR (10/13).

LEX LUTHOR: Lex is played by the same actor that will be playing him a
few years older in Metropolis, providing some continuity between the
shows. See that character breakdown here. RECURRING (5/13).

DR. VIRGIL SWANN: Friend or foe? Based on the reclusive character played
by Christopher Reeve in the original Smallville series, Swann’s
foundation is desperate to take Clark in. But is he a friend or a foe?
It seems some in the group are more altruistic than others… RECURRING
(5/13).

APRIL: A trickster character from the 5th dimension. Appears on an
annual basis…. GUEST STAR.

PROFESSOR POTTER: Lana Lang’s uncle and a scientist for Swann’s Level 3
outfit. Chloe’s father, Gabe Sullivan, also works with them. GUEST STAR.

That’s not all! We’re hearing that some of the stories pitched for
Smallville 2019 include a trip to Gotham City that, pending permissions,
could guest star David Mazouz and Camren Bicondova of Gotham fame and
would see Clark and Chloe attending a journalism convention there; a
straight-up remake of the original episode “Jitters;” a tribute to the
original series that will hopefully incorporate some original cast; and,
in success, Kara/Supergirl might be at least mentioned much earlier in
the new show. A story in which Chloe gets involved with a cult was
rejected by the studio, however, on the grounds of being “too
unbelievable.”

Titles we have seen for the first season so far include “Symbol,”
“Stream,” “Lantern” (could that mean what we think it means?), “Vision,”
“Sucker,” “Fool,” “Gullible,” “Unbelievable,” and “Locomotive.”

anim8rfsk

Apr 1, 2018, 10:16:02 AM4/1/18
In article <o7WdnQjCcJZ7fF3H...@giganews.com>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> Metropolis isn’t the only Super-story headed to the DC Comics digital
> streaming service in 2019.

Mistake

> KryptonSite’s sources have told us that running concurrent with the big
> city-set show will be a reboot taking place a few years earlier… in
> Smallville. But unlike the first time around, it’ll be yes tights and
> yes flights as Smallville 2019 is a full-fledged Superboy series.

That could work

> Studio Warner Bros. has been EXTREMELY tight-lipped about this one,
> though we are hearing that original Smallville creators Alfred Gough and
> Miles Millar may be involved.

Mistake

Additionally, this new show will start
> where the original series did: with Clark Kent in high school, pining
> after Lana Lang who is dating the star football player. And, of course
> there is a Chloe,

Huge mistake

and it sounds like the first season will adopt some of
> the “freak of the week” format that launched Smallville back in 2001.
> Unfortunately due to Metropolis, though, Lois Lane and Lex Luthor will
> have to wait, though it does sound like we’ll see Lex in five episodes
> of the first season, and that producers are hoping to make the most out
> of Lex in the time they have him.
>
> We’re not too sure about this whole not having Lex all the time thing,
> as Lex Luthor’s journey in the original show was so important, but we’ve
> been wrong before: Originally, we rolled our eyes at the notion of a
> series about Superman’s grandpa but it’s turned out to be great!

No it didn't

We’re
> also surprised this is going to the streaming service and not The CW; I
> guess it is to be assumed that they are already reboot-heavy with
> Charmed and Roswell updates coming this year.

So it's full up with stuff not worth watching

> We have obtained casting breakdowns for the new series (source: here)
> which you can see below. These breakdowns imply a 13-episode “Season 1”
> for the show, and interestingly enough, the casting directors seem to be
> open to diversity when it comes to casting young Clark.

So it's SuperBlackBoy. Yay.

> CLARK KENT: Awkward, nerdy, 15. Wears glasses and despite having an
> inexplicably ripped body for his age, he doesn’t show it off or use his
> physical prowess on sports just yet. He’s just now learning the true
> nature of his abilities. After saving some classmates on a bus, Clark
> adopts the costumed alter ego of Superboy. Open ethnicity. SERIES
> REGULAR (13/13).
>
> PETE ROSS: The star football player of Smallville High, boyfriend of
> Lana Lang and rival for her affections. His interaction with Clark
> becomes complicated when he is the first to discover Clark’s secret.
> SERIES REGULAR (13/13). (KryptonSite note: It seems that this reboot is
> combining the “Pete” and “Whitney” characters. It also seems like he’s a
> much larger presence this time around.)

Okay, total cluster fuck on Pete.

> LANA LANG: The quintessential hometown girl. Lana is a community
> volunteer, on several committees at school, and works part-time at her
> Aunt’s coffee shop, The Talon, where her parents met. She is not aware
> that her parents’ death coincided with the arrival of Clark on Earth….
> SERIES REGULAR (13/13).
>
> CHLOE SULLIVAN: Turned on to journalism by her cousin Lois, a journalism
> student hoping to someday land at the Daily Planet. Editor of the
> Smallville Torch in her freshman year; the Torch offices are her own
> personal Fortress of Solitude. Harbors feelings for Clark who seems to
> only have eyes for Lana. Open ethnicity. SERIES REGULAR (13/13).

Serious mistake; all it will do is bring publicity about the sex scandal
stuff.

But ... why are the characters that were played by white actors now
'open ethnicity' but the characters that were played by 'diverse' actors
are not?

> JONATHAN KENT: Proud adoptive father of Clark Kent. Farmer. Doesn’t
> approve of him going around in a costume, though if he’s doing it, he
> wants to make sure that his son does it safely. Strong arbiter of
> teaching Clark about right and wrong. SERIES REGULAR (10/13).
>
> MARTHA KENT: Adoptive mother of Clark Kent. Very cool with his Super
> alter-ego; even helps make his costume. Has a secret connection to Dr.
> Swann that she has kept from the family for 15 years… SERIES REGULAR
> (10/13).
>
> KENNY BRAVERMAN: The wild card and outcast. People say he’s been
> inventing all kinds of weird things in his garage…. with that said, it
> appears that Clark and Chloe might be his only real friends. SERIES
> REGULAR (10/13).
>
> LEX LUTHOR: Lex is played by the same actor that will be playing him a
> few years older in Metropolis, providing some continuity between the
> shows. See that character breakdown here. RECURRING (5/13).
>
> DR. VIRGIL SWANN: Friend or foe? Based on the reclusive character played
> by Christopher Reeve in the original Smallville series, Swann’s
> foundation is desperate to take Clark in. But is he a friend or a foe?
> It seems some in the group are more altruistic than others… RECURRING
> (5/13).
>
> APRIL: A trickster character from the 5th dimension. Appears on an
> annual basis…. GUEST STAR.

Uh ...

> PROFESSOR POTTER: Lana Lang’s uncle and a scientist for Swann’s Level 3
> outfit. Chloe’s father, Gabe Sullivan, also works with them. GUEST STAR.
>
> That’s not all! We’re hearing that some of the stories pitched for
> Smallville 2019 include a trip to Gotham City that, pending permissions,
> could guest star David Mazouz and Camren Bicondova of Gotham fame and

So why doesn't Clark just spend an extra day and incarcerate/kill pretty
much everybody in Gotham?

And I don't particularly like the idea of them fixing Gotham in 2019
given what a good job they've been doing *not* saying if it's current or
a flashback.

> would see Clark and Chloe attending a journalism convention there; a
> straight-up remake of the original episode “Jitters;” a tribute to the
> original series that will hopefully incorporate some original cast; and,
> in success, Kara/Supergirl might be at least mentioned much earlier in
> the new show. A story in which Chloe gets involved with a cult was
> rejected by the studio, however, on the grounds of being “too
> unbelievable.”

Oh. It's an April Fool's joke. Duh.

> Titles we have seen for the first season so far include “Symbol,”
> “Stream,” “Lantern” (could that mean what we think it means?), “Vision,”
> “Sucker,” “Fool,” “Gullible,” “Unbelievable,” and “Locomotive.”

Good one.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

A Friend

Apr 1, 2018, 2:04:51 PM4/1/18
<web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> Metropolis isn?t the only Super-story headed to the DC Comics digital
> streaming service in 2019.
>
> KryptonSite?s sources have told us that running concurrent with the big
> city-set show will be a reboot taking place a few years earlier? in
> Smallville. But unlike the first time around, it?ll be yes tights and
> yes flights as Smallville 2019 is a full-fledged Superboy series.

I don't believe anything I read today, and neither should anyone else.

Obveeus

Apr 1, 2018, 3:00:04 PM4/1/18
So you are saying that we shouldn't believe that you don't believe
anything you read today?

A Friend

Apr 1, 2018, 3:29:37 PM4/1/18
In article <p9ra7j$hen$2...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>