SLIDERS - did they get the real Arturo?

SFTV_troy

Sep 19, 2010, 7:16:07 PM9/19/10
I just finished the season 2 episode where two Arturos duke it out.
At the end of the episode it is unclear if they got the real Arturo.
Does anybody know for certain?

Of course since Arturo gets killed a year later, in the grand scheme
of things it does not matter.

Your Name

Sep 19, 2010, 9:45:38 PM9/19/10
In article
<47bf6018-8522-4a95...@t3g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,
SFTV_troy <SFTV...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Two were eventually killed, but a third went on to be a dwarf in Lord of
the Rings. :-)

Professor Bubba

Sep 19, 2010, 10:34:05 PM9/19/10

It was a matter of considerable debate among fans at the time; the
ending seems to indicate that the wrong Arturo went through the
wormhole -- but if he did, the show never took advantage of the fact,
and the substitution was never referred to. That was pretty much the
way Sliders did things.

Your Name

Sep 20, 2010, 12:11:50 AM9/20/10
In article <190920102234052728%bu...@nowhere.edu.invalid>, Professor Bubba
wrote:

Well it was at about the same time that Sliders started to slide down the
toilet because they simply couldn't think of what else to do for
storylines ... yet again they tried to swap from more of an episodic show
to a more on-going storyline, which is often the kiss of death for a
show. :-(

Ubiquitous

Sep 19, 2010, 10:35:00 PM9/19/10

That's because those in charge didn't like Torme's ambiguous stories
and eventually had him replaced.

--
It is simply breathtaking to watch the glee and abandon with which
the liberal media and the Angry Left have been attempting to turn

Ubiquitous

Sep 20, 2010, 5:17:51 AM9/20/10
your...@isp.com wrote:

>Professor Bubba wrote:
>> SFTV_troy <SFTV...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> > I just finished the season 2 episode where two Arturos duke it out.
>> > At the end of the episode it is unclear if they got the real Arturo.
>> > Does anybody know for certain?
>> >
>> > Of course since Arturo gets killed a year later, in the grand scheme
>> > of things it does not matter.
>>

>> It was a matter of considerable debate among fans at the time; the
>> ending seems to indicate that the wrong Arturo went through the
>> wormhole -- but if he did, the show never took advantage of the fact,
>> and the substitution was never referred to. That was pretty much the
>> way Sliders did things.
>
>Well it was at about the same time that Sliders started to slide down the
>toilet because they simply couldn't think of what else to do for
>storylines ... yet again they tried to swap from more of an episodic show
>to a more on-going storyline, which is often the kiss of death for a
>show. :-(

Gharlaine certainly knew what to do with the show.

Captain Infinity

Sep 20, 2010, 9:51:56 AM9/20/10
Once Upon A Time,
SFTV_troy wrote:

All you need to do is apply the standed rule for evil twins from mirror
universes: Does he have a beard? If yes, then he's the evil twin.

**
Captain Infinity

Joe Pfeiffer

Sep 20, 2010, 10:19:38 AM9/20/10
Captain Infinity <Infi...@captaininfinity.us> writes:

I think this can be generalized: if he has a beard, he's evil (yes, I
do have a beard. Why do you ask?)

Ubiquitous

Sep 20, 2010, 10:46:49 AM9/20/10

Didn't Arturo already _have_ a beard?
Does the inverse apply in this case?

SFTV_troy

Sep 20, 2010, 11:17:05 AM9/20/10
On Sep 19, 10:34 pm, Professor Bubba <bu...@nowhere.edu.invalid>
wrote:

> ending seems to indicate that the wrong Arturo went through the
> wormhole -- but if he did, the show never took advantage of the fact,
> and the substitution was never referred to.  That was pretty much the
> way Sliders did things.

I just read an interview with John Rhys-davies (Arturo) where he said
season 1 was good, but season 2 was a "waste" of episodes and season 3
was the movie ripoff of the week!

He also commented that they ruined the episode that he wrote, which
started as a science fiction story and then the writers turned into a
"zombie episode with brain sucking".

Wow. He was probably thrilled that was his last episode.
.

Anim8rFSK

Sep 20, 2010, 11:46:00 AM9/20/10
In article <6OmdndknO6tE7grR...@giganews.com>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> Infi...@captaininfinity.us wrote:
> >Once Upon A Time,
> >SFTV_troy wrote:
>
> >>I just finished the season 2 episode where two Arturos duke it out.
> >>At the end of the episode it is unclear if they got the real Arturo.
> >>Does anybody know for certain?
> >>
> >>Of course since Arturo gets killed a year later, in the grand scheme
> >>of things it does not matter.
> >
> >All you need to do is apply the standed rule for evil twins from mirror
> >universes: Does he have a beard? If yes, then he's the evil twin.
>
> Didn't Arturo already _have_ a beard?
> Does the inverse apply in this case?

No. The rule is, the second one we meet is the evil one. Beards don't
count, nor does the evil status of the original. The first time I ever
saw a twin show up of an evil character was the Family Channel Zorro,
and a friend asked me "so is he going to be good?" but he was even
eviller. On ST-TNG the second Riker was evil, and did he ditch the
beard? Phoebe Buffay's twin was evil, and didn't have a beard (although
if she'd dated Chandler, she could have BEEN a beard!). Speaking of
Buffay, Willow's twin was evil and beardless, even though the real
Willow turned out to be more evil still.

--
Learn all about September 19
International Talk Like A Pirate Day!

Message has been deleted

Gisele

Sep 20, 2010, 12:52:00 PM9/20/10
web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in

> bu...@nowhere.edu.invalid wrote:
>>SFTV_troy <SFTV...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>> I just finished the season 2 episode where two Arturos duke it out.
>>> At the end of the episode it is unclear if they got the real Arturo.
>>> Does anybody know for certain?
>>>
>>> Of course since Arturo gets killed a year later, in the grand scheme
>>> of things it does not matter.
>>
>>It was a matter of considerable debate among fans at the time; the
>>ending seems to indicate that the wrong Arturo went through the
>>wormhole -- but if he did, the show never took advantage of the fact,
>>and the substitution was never referred to. That was pretty much the
>>way Sliders did things.
>
> That's because those in charge didn't like Torme's ambiguous stories
> and eventually had him replaced.

Well they were rather leftist. Better to have bad guys like the Cromags
than intelligent stories that are anti-big business.....<g>

Gisele

SFTV_troy

Sep 20, 2010, 12:59:12 PM9/20/10
On Sep 20, 10:46 am, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
> Infin...@captaininfinity.us wrote:

> >All you need to do is apply the standed rule for evil twins from mirror
> >universes:  Does he have a beard?  If yes, then he's the evil twin.
>
> Didn't Arturo already _have_ a beard?
> Does the inverse apply in this case?

Yes it does.

If I recall correctly Arturo lost his beard in season 3, which means
he was not the "good" bearded Arturo we saw in seasons 1 and 2.
Fantabulous. This case is solved with my (and Cappy's) impeccable
logic.

SFTV_troy

Sep 20, 2010, 1:11:07 PM9/20/10
On Sep 20, 11:46 am, Anim8rFSK <ANIM8R...@cox.net> wrote:
> In article <6OmdndknO6tE7grRnZ2dnUVZ_h6dn...@giganews.com>,
>

>  Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> > Infin...@captaininfinity.us wrote:

> > >All you need to do is apply the standed rule for evil twins from mirror
> > >universes:  Does he have a beard?  If yes, then he's the evil twin.
>
> > Didn't Arturo already _have_ a beard?
> > Does the inverse apply in this case?
>
> No.  The rule is, the second one we meet is the evil one.  Beards don't
> count, nor does the evil status of the original.  The first time I ever
> saw a twin show up of an evil character was the Family Channel Zorro,
> and a friend asked "so is he going to be good?" but he was eviller.

In Sliders we're not sure who arrived "second". Was the guy in the
basement the good Arturo, or the bad Arturo? It's unclear.

Plus Sliders confuses the issue further by having the two Arturos roll
around on the ground, and we have no idea which one slid through the
tunnel. Was it the tied-up Arturo or the Arturo that came down the
steps?

It's a mystery.

Dimensional Traveler

Sep 20, 2010, 3:53:46 PM9/20/10
On 9/20/2010 8:46 AM, Anim8rFSK wrote:
> In article<6OmdndknO6tE7grR...@giganews.com>,
> Ubiquitous<web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> Infi...@captaininfinity.us wrote:

>>> All you need to do is apply the standed rule for evil twins from mirror
>>> universes: Does he have a beard? If yes, then he's the evil twin.
>>
>> Didn't Arturo already _have_ a beard?
>> Does the inverse apply in this case?
>
> No. The rule is, the second one we meet is the evil one. Beards don't
> count, nor does the evil status of the original. The first time I ever
> saw a twin show up of an evil character was the Family Channel Zorro,
> and a friend asked me "so is he going to be good?" but he was even
> eviller. On ST-TNG the second Riker was evil, and did he ditch the
> beard? Phoebe Buffay's twin was evil, and didn't have a beard (although
> if she'd dated Chandler, she could have BEEN a beard!).

Uh, Phoebe was the second one. Ursula appeared in 'Mad About You' two
years before 'Friends' began.

--
"There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go and poke it with a
stick."

Captain Infinity

Sep 20, 2010, 4:37:18 PM9/20/10
Once Upon A Time,
Ubiquitous wrote:

>Infi...@captaininfinity.us wrote:
>>Once Upon A Time,
>>SFTV_troy wrote:
>
>>>I just finished the season 2 episode where two Arturos duke it out.
>>>At the end of the episode it is unclear if they got the real Arturo.
>>>Does anybody know for certain?
>>>
>>>Of course since Arturo gets killed a year later, in the grand scheme
>>>of things it does not matter.
>>
>>All you need to do is apply the standed rule for evil twins from mirror
>>universes: Does he have a beard? If yes, then he's the evil twin.
>
>Didn't Arturo already _have_ a beard?

Whoosh. That, I say, that's the _joke_, boy. The fast ones go over your
head. Ya got a hole in your glove. I keep pitchin' 'em and you keep
missin' 'em. Ya gotta keep your eye on the ball. Eye. Ball. I almost
had a gag, son. Joke, that is.

**
Captain Infinity

Your Name

Sep 20, 2010, 5:10:27 PM9/20/10

"Captain Infinity" <Infi...@captaininfinity.us> wrote in message

> All you need to do is apply the standed rule for evil twins from mirror
> universes: Does he have a beard? If yes, then he's the evil twin.

It's even easier with females - if she has a beard then she's definitely the
evil twin. ;-)

Captain Infinity

Sep 20, 2010, 5:12:20 PM9/20/10
Once Upon A Time,
SFTV_troy wrote:

According to Torme in an interview last year, the wrong Arturo slid. See:

http://earthprime.com/tracy-torme/tracy-torme-2009.html

**
Captain Infinity

SFTV_troy

Sep 20, 2010, 5:58:53 PM9/20/10
On Sep 20, 5:12 pm, Captain Infinity <Infin...@captaininfinity.us>
wrote:

> According to Torme in an interview last year, the wrong Arturo slid.  See:
>
> http://earthprime.com/tracy-torme/tracy-torme-2009.html

Interesting / cool bits:

"Over the past few days, I sat down and worked on something Sliders-
related for the first time in 13 years," states Tracy Tormé. ... "I
wasn't sure what to do with the two professors, but I would've
probably left the real one on the world with the Azure Gate Bridge. He
would've had the implant and the Kromaggs would have showed up there.

"If I had to write the Professor out — which I wouldn't like in the
first place — I would have made a real character episode where the
Professor finally admits to being a fraud, the wrong one, and the
Sliders go on knowing the real one is trapped somewhere. I wanted to
let John leave with some dignity; instead, they hack him to bits and
shoot him."

"There was another idea I jotted down for the third season that never
made it into a script," Tracy notes. "The Sliders land in a field and
see some Klu Klux Klan members. As they're spotted, Arturo suggests
Rembrandt hide, but when the leading member of the KKK takes off his
mask, he's black. It would've been great."

Tracy sums the situation up perfectly: "Season five — worse than
seasons three and four. It just got so bad in the end."

.

The greatest "lost episode" in Sliders history comes a little bit
closer to being unearthed with a treatment written by the author
himself, Tracy Tormé.
http://earthprime.com/tracy-torme/heat-of-the-moment.html

Anim8rFSK

Sep 20, 2010, 7:56:01 PM9/20/10
In article <4c97bbc8$0$1603$742e...@news.sonic.net>,
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

Damn!

Arthur Lipscomb

Sep 20, 2010, 8:11:58 PM9/20/10
?

"Captain Infinity" <Infi...@captaininfinity.us> wrote in message

Well, not definitely or anything but still an interesting read. I have the
first four seasons on DVD still in the shrink wrap. This *almost* makes me
want to open them up and watch again.

jazzyJack

Sep 20, 2010, 8:17:31 PM9/20/10
On Sep 20, 6:51 am, Captain Infinity <Infin...@captaininfinity.us>
wrote:

So the Burl Ives' of our universe *was* the evil twin?

Your Name

Sep 20, 2010, 9:17:01 PM9/20/10
In article
<51a5f075-a07e-4de7...@x20g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
jazzyJack <jazzyja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 20, 6:51=A0am, Captain Infinity <Infin...@captaininfinity.us>

> wrote:
> > Once Upon A Time,
> >
> > SFTV_troy wrote:
> > >I just finished the season 2 episode where two Arturos duke it out.
> > >At the end of the episode it is unclear if they got the real Arturo.
> > >Does anybody know for certain?
> >
> > >Of course since Arturo gets killed a year later, in the grand scheme
> > >of things it does not matter.
> >
> > All you need to do is apply the standed rule for evil twins from mirror

> > universes: =A0Does he have a beard? =A0If yes, then he's the evil twin.

> So the Burl Ives' of our universe *was* the evil twin?

That standard rule also proves our universe's Shannon Doherty is the evil
twin as well. ;-)

Dimensional Traveler

Sep 21, 2010, 1:51:42 AM9/21/10
But it does explain a lot about Phoebe. :-D

_jale...@yahoo.com

Sep 3, 2017, 5:15:37 PM9/3/17
Am I the only one that noticed the original Arturo used the phrase blithering idiot, and after the swap he uses blistering idiot instead?

jbjam...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2017, 4:37:25 PM9/18/17
On Sunday, September 19, 2010 at 5:16:07 PM UTC-6, SFTV_troy
wrote:
> I just finished the season 2 episode where two Arturos duke
> it out. At the end of the episode it is unclear if they got
> the real Arturo. Does anybody know for certain?
>
> Of course since Arturo gets killed a year later, in the grand
> scheme of things it does not matter.

So, it is moot.[1] But, thank you for playing.

[1] "of little or no practical value, meaning, or relevance;
purely academic". [2]

[2] Second definition of the word from
http://http://www.dictionary.com/browse/moot?s=t

James <newsgroup idiot savant>
--
_ I know and acknowledge that I am wasting my time here
_ in this venue. Do you admit to the same for you?

phibetas...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2019, 7:32:14 PM3/8/19
When one of the Arturo's was left behind, his last words implied a concern for the well being of the others when he uttered....
"Oh no"

phibetas...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2019, 7:38:52 PM3/8/19
Also, there is a considerable difference in his demeanor and how he rudely interacts with the others as if they are of no concern to him.

phibetas...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2019, 7:41:55 PM3/8/19
Furthermore the "new" Arturo seems to be more comfortable and familiar with sliding than the previous and less apt to make it home.