Re: "Last Man Standing"s weird second season

TMC

Apr 2, 2013, 2:24:19 AM4/2/13
On Apr 1, 8:10 am, David <dimla...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://www.avclub.com/articles/last-man-standings-second-season-was-t...
>
> Last Man Standing’s second season was the weirdest sitcom season since
> ’Til Death
> By Todd VanDerWerff
>
> Between Last Man Standing’s first and second seasons, the largely
> non-distinct sitcom, mostly known for being Tim Allen’s return to
> television, had a choice to make. Headed for Fridays, the second
> least-watched night of the week (after Saturdays), the program had to
> do something to make some noise and hopefully attract viewership.
> Simply having Allen in the cast wasn’t going to do it any longer. So,
> as Allen and new showrunner Tim Doyle discussed with the New York
> Post, the choice was made to try to turn a bland family sitcom into a
> modern-day Norman Lear comedy, complete with arguing about social
> issues, Barack Obama, and the nation’s legacy of genocide.
> Did it work? Having watched all 18 episodes of the show’s second
> season, I can’t really say that it made the show better, but it
> certainly made it weirder. (And in terms of ratings, it allowed the
> show to keep the lights on on Friday, no mean feat.) Its attempt to
> put a finger on the country’s pulse made it much more worthy of
> discussion than when it was just about some angry guy living with too
> many women, as it was in its first season. It’s like when ’Til Death
> turned into a strange meta-sitcom in its final season, though somehow
> even more misguided.
>
> The basic premise of Last Man Standing is the same as Allen’s former
> sitcom hit, Home Improvement, only his character, Mike Baxter, has
> three adolescent-and-older daughters, instead of three child sons. The
> oldest daughter, Kristin, was the promising one who was going to
> succeed, until she had a child late in high school, and she’s lived in
> her parents’ house with her son, Boyd, ever since. Middle daughter
> Mandy is a ditzy fashionplate. Youngest daughter Eve is the one who’s
> closest to her dad, into things like soccer and hunting. There’s an
> outdoor-store workplace setting where Mike deals with crotchety boss
> Ed (meant to be the even more hyper-masculine version of Mike in
> season one) and dumbass employee Kyle. And in the second season, the
> show made an attempt to flesh out the neighborhood the Baxters lived
> in with a handful of recurring characters, including a black couple
> who become fast friends with the Baxters, and a Latina maid. In
> addition, the second season added the father of Kristin’s son, Ryan,
> as a semi-regular, meant to be the Meathead to Mike’s Archie Bunker.
> The problem with Last Man Standing’s attempts to go political is
> exemplified by the first scene of the season première, which remains
> one of the most uncomfortable scenes of television I’ve ever watched.
> It’s not even really bad so much as it’s actively discomfiting, doing
> its best to push buttons in the audience that don’t need to be pushed,
> [...]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1828327/board/flat/212676367?p=1

Re: 'Last Man Standing's weird second season By Todd VanDerWerff
by indyjim101 10 hours ago (Mon Apr 1 2013 12:46:28)

UPDATED Mon Apr 1 2013 12:55:13
I actually REALLY liked the second season, my only complaint being
that it was too short. But honestly, after the the first few episodes,
the show dramatically backed off the politically-themed episodes
(which weren't that bad) and relegated politics to where it was in the
first season--ever-present allusions that didn't overshadow the
storyline. People who make a huge differentiation between the first
season and the second season after say, the Christmas episode,
obviously weren't paying close attention to either.
And between Tim Allen and the rest of the wonderful cast, this is one
of the funniest sitcoms out there.

by herbsuperb 9 hours ago (Mon Apr 1 2013 13:26:36)

UPDATED Mon Apr 1 2013 19:30:55
I wholeheartedly agree. The ONLY episode in the second season that
went farther than it really should have with the political bickering
was the opener. It was about the election, so it's forgivable. There
is nothing wrong with the occasional politically charged remark as
long as it doesn't form the basis of an entire episode. The remainder
of season 2 was far more balanced, funny, and routinely charming.

The cast continues to do a wonderful job and the (rather risky)
changes they made prior to starting season 2 have ultimately panned
out nicely. I completely adapted to it by midway through the season. I
don't miss Krosney, am starting to warm up to Ryan, and couldn't care
less that they aged Boyd three years.

I can't wait to see Season 3.

by digitalboy72 7 hours ago (Mon Apr 1 2013 16:00:47)

UPDATED Mon Apr 1 2013 16:14:10
I agree.

Look no further than the season premiere for the definition of
gratuitous and heavy-handed political squabbling, but as you stated it
did ease off quite a bit after that, it also makes sense that they
went this way, they needed to go extreme to get people talking and it
largely worked, looking back at the premiere it was almost laughably
brazen, part of me thinks this was intentional now.

After that episode the writers did a better job of weaving those
issues and discussions more organically into the plots of the show
while also allowing time for straight comedy, after watching the whole
season it's really only Mike and Ryan that engaged in those
discussions, Eve, Kristin (except for the change of actresses), Mandy,
Kyle etc remain more or less the same as they were in season one.

I love what they did in season two, they added an element that spiced
it up a bit while sticking to the original idea and the fact that it
did reasonably well, especially for a Friday night time slot,
demonstrates that they must have done something right.

https://www.facebook.com/BringBackAlexandraKrosney?fref=ts