Re: ABC benches "Apt. 23," will double-run "Happy Endings"

TMC

Jan 23, 2013, 11:06:15 PM1/23/13
On Jan 22, 12:19 pm, David <dimla...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/abc-yanks-apartment-23-sch...
>
> ABC Yanks 'Apartment 23' From Schedule, Doubles Up on 'Happy Endings'
> by Michael O'Connell, Lesley Goldberg
>
> There's bad news and good news for fans of ABC's Tuesday comedy block.
> Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 has been pulled from the
> schedule, effective immediately, while Happy Endings will start airing
> back-to-back original episodes starting Jan. 29.
>
> A network rep confirms to The Hollywood Reporter that the change takes
> place next week, following tonight's special two-hour premiere of The
> Taste and weeks of shuffling for both Apartment 23 and Happy Endings.
> After the two comedies were given an early end date in March to
> accommodate ABC's midseason schedule, the network announced plans to
> air three "bonus" episodes of each in the vacated 10 p.m. Sunday slot
> before ditching the third round for an encore of Shark Tank after low
> ratings.
>
> This latest development also comes two weeks after ABC Network Groups
> president Paul Lee told reporters at the Television Critics
> Association's winter press tour that a decision on the future of both
> Apartment 23 and Happy Endings was yet to be made.
>
> "We love those two shows. They're incredibly distinctive, and they’re
> water-cooler shows," he said, noting that he planned to continue
> supporting the series throughout the season. He stopped short of
> commenting on whether either show will live beyond their current
> orders (22 episodes for Happy Endings and 18 episodes for Apartment
> 23).
>
> For Apartment 23, the move marks the latest in its wonky scheduling.
> The series launched as a midseason show last year with multiple
> episodes shelved to run out of sequence this season, including a story
> line involving co-star James Van Der Beek as a Dancing With the Stars
> contestant that only recently aired.
>
> And Happy Endings, itself a midseason show in 2011, saw its full order
> come to a quick close last season to accommodate new entries. An
> unaired season two episode only finally made it to air two Sundays
> ago.
>
> Happy Endings, airing at 9 p.m. on Tuesdays, has performed
> significantly stronger than Apartment 23 since the lineup launched
> earlier this season. It's currently averaging a 1.4 rating among
> adults 18-49 and 4 million viewers in live plus same day returns.
> Apartment 23 has a season average of a 1.2 adults rating and 3 million
> viewers.
>
> No decision has been made on when or where the eight unaired episodes
> of Apartment 23 will land.

Is the cancelation of "Don't Trust the B" a sign of things to come?:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bastard-machine/abc-cancels-dont-trust-b-414499

Viewers are favoring broader comedies than "different" sitcoms like
"Don't Trust the B—- in Apt. 23." PLUS: Did airing episodes out of
order doom "Apt. 23"?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/01/23/don_t_trust_the_b_in_apt_23_canceled_after_episodes_were_aired_out_of_order.html

Obveeus

Jan 24, 2013, 7:36:01 AM1/24/13
Airing episodes out of order definitely did not help as it revealed a total
disregard by the network for the viewer and for the long term prospects of
the show. Really, though, I think the writing was on the wall when they
decided to carry over a bunch of last season's episodes to this season's
short order instead of continuing the show into last summer and having a
full new order for this season.

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 24, 2013, 10:01:10 AM1/24/13
I wonder what ABC would have done to Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23
if the series didn't have ABC's full support. Maybe they could have aired
each episode by loading the film already wound onto the takeup reel so
it ran backwards and upside down.

David

Jan 24, 2013, 10:16:19 AM1/24/13
It's standard for a midseason show to get a 13 episode renewal.

Dano

Jan 24, 2013, 1:05:14 PM1/24/13
I'd love to see HBO or Showtime pick this one up.

NBC could do worse than to grab it either.