[news] Season 9 of "The Simpsons"

Benjamin J. Robinson

Jul 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/30/97

<posted also to alt.test for testing purposes. Followups (hopefully)
set to just alt.tv.simpsons, though -BJR>

The following is excerpted from, "Fox puts an accent on returning
series," by Hal Boedeker. It appeared in The Orlando Sentinel on July
29. The numbers in [square brackets] refer to comments I make at the
end of the article.

-[Begin included text]-----------------------------------------------

[Unlike "King of the Hill"] Realism has never been the goal on "The
Simpsons," which starts its ninth season this fall. [1] New executive
producer Mike Scully said the series will mark its 200th episode in
May. Homer will have a fight with his garbage man and later run for
sanitation commissioner, setting the stage for political satire, a big
production number and guest appearances by "a big movie star and a big
rock band." [2]

For its season premier Sept. 21, "The Simpsons" will give away a home
modeled on the cartoon family's residence. In the sweepstakes,
starting Friday, drinkers of Mug Root Beer, Lemon Lime Slice and other
beverages will have a chance to win the home near Las Vegas. [3]

In other upcoming episodes, Helen Hunt of "Mad About You" will do the
voice of bartender Moe's girlfriend. [4] (Hunt's real-life boyfriend,
Hank Azaria, supplies the voice for Moe.) Krusty the Clown retires
from comedy. Faced with the prospect of an arranged marriage, Apu will
pretend to be married to Marge. [5]

After destroying the family's Christmas gifts, Bart will blame a
burglar for the mess. The town of Springfield will rally around the
Simpsons, then feel scammed when the ruse is exposed.

Joe Namath makes a cameo as himself when Homer becomes a football coach
and puts in inept Bart as quarterback. That episode features a brief
cameo by Hank Hill from "King of the Hill." [6]

Scully said there's no rivalry between the two animated series, which
were announced as Emmy competitors last week. "We're friends with a
lot of people over there," Scully said. "The two shows have helped
each other out a lot." ("King of the Hill" co-creator Daniels was an
Emmy-winning producer on "The Simpsons.") [7]

-[End included text]-------------------------------------------------

[1] You are not the only one surprised to hear that "realism has never
been the goal on 'The Simpsons.'" When the series debuted,
critics lauded its realistic nature.

[2] Man, talk about throwing in everything but the kitchen sink.

[3] Which will make for an interesting commute if the winner is from,
say, Maine.

[4] Woo Hoo! I was hoping Ms. Hunt would come on the show!

[5] And how many of you are thinking of Troy McClure's closing speech
at the end of "The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase (4F20)": "Wedding
after wedding after wedding."

[6] Let's hope Mr. Groening has lost his dislike of crossovers.

[7] For the record, the episode was, "Lisa's Wedding (2F15)."

The Sentinel's web address is <http://www.orlandosentinel.com>. The
full text of the article may be there, but I can't say for sure since I
haven't actually visited the site.

-Benjamin Robinson
--
"The government cannot reduce the adult population to reading or viewing only
to what is appropriate for children." -- Bruce Ennis

Ondre Lombard

Jul 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/30/97

On 30 Jul 1997, Benjamin J. Robinson wrote:

> -[End included text]-------------------------------------------------
>
> [1] You are not the only one surprised to hear that "realism has never
> been the goal on 'The Simpsons.'" When the series debuted,
> critics lauded its realistic nature.

Yeah, well, even TV Guide dind't say that about The Simpsons in its
"Animation" issue. (Their commentary on KotH regarded fleshed-out characters,
and it's very weird how this is the very same thing they, and other critics
were saying about OFF when it started. Now I am positive I am right the
series has thoroughly shedded its realistic nature.)

> [2] Man, talk about throwing in everything but the kitchen sink.

Heh.

> [3] Which will make for an interesting commute if the winner is from,
> say, Maine.

I'm in California, so it would be I guess a hop skip and a jump away.
But I'd still have to think about it. (With the family, too.)

> [4] Woo Hoo! I was hoping Ms. Hunt would come on the show!

Helen Hunt on The Simpsons. Now that might be a useful cameo,
instead of getting on Bret Hart. (Alex Trebek looks interesting, too.)

> [5] And how many of you are thinking of Troy McClure's closing speech
> at the end of "The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase (4F20)": "Wedding
> after wedding after wedding."

I'm thinking of "Homer and Apu: The Sequel"--an episode that needed
not a second part. (Or maybe "Much Apu About Nothing II?").

> [6] Let's hope Mr. Groening has lost his dislike of crossovers.

Perhaps Groening was hot under the collar about the Critic crossover
because they made the episode and scheduled it conveniently the same night The
Critic made its debut on Fox. He must have felt like this was basically
using/cheapening The Simpsons just to give CPR to a throwaway animated series.
Furthermore, The Critic is/was crazier than The Simpsons and was 75% parody.
Their worlds were very, very different. King of the Hill is very similar to
how The Simpsons used to be in its earlier years, so I suppose that might play
a part in it. Also, since Hank Hill will just be appearing on the Simpsons'
TV screen (I think I heard), it won't really seem like an ad for KotH. Just a
friendly cameo.

> [7] For the record, the episode was, "Lisa's Wedding (2F15)."

Ah, one of the only episodes that saved the sixth season from a
swimming pool of mediocrity.

Ondre