What is 'tang?

Richard Kim

Mar 8, 1994, 6:40:28 PM3/8/94
Hi all,
could someone please explain the Poontang reference to me. Is this
a cultural joke, ie funny in the USA but not beyond its shores?
Am I naive or am I just dim witted? :-)

thanks,

Richard Kim Email: R....@gu.edu.au
Information Systems Phone (61 7) 875 6448
Griffith University Fax (61 7) 875 5314
Brisbane Australia

Marc MacNair

Mar 9, 1994, 12:11:25 AM3/9/94

Richard,

I'll try to be delicate so as not to offend anyone. It is a slang
term for the primary female sexual organ that is mostly use among lower
class Americans, but which is also heard a lot in the military. It is
often shortened to just 'tang'. It's referred to in a couple of
Ted Nugent songs and in the movie 'Aliens'. President Clinton has a
(possibly deserved) reputation for womanizing which is where the reference
fit into that show.

Marc

Brandon

Mar 9, 1994, 10:22:39 AM3/9/94
...And a very eloquent explanation, I might add.

Ron Carter

Mar 9, 1994, 8:02:05 PM3/9/94
Richard Kim <rich...@unicorn.itc.gu.edu.au> wrote:

>could someone please explain the Poontang reference to me. Is this
>a cultural joke, ie funny in the USA but not beyond its shores?
>Am I naive or am I just dim witted? :-)

Good day! "Poon" or "tang" or "poontang" are just three of probably 100
or so "American" slang words for ummm, female ("lower") genitailia...

This terminology has been around for a -long- time; mostly rural.

By asking the US Prez (aka Bill Clinton) about where the "`tang" was, is
imagined by some, to be a reference to the alleged womanizing by Bill.
--
Ron Carter \ Director \ Center for the Study of Creative Intelligence
CSCI \ Denver, CO USA \ "To create... to build... and most of all, to have

David J Bell

Mar 10, 1994, 1:24:07 AM3/10/94
>It is a slang term for the primary female sexual organ
>that is mostly use among lower class Americans,
>but which is also heard a lot in the military.

You make that sound like there's a difference???

Dave

OK, OK : :{)

Mike Stith

Mar 10, 1994, 11:36:24 AM3/10/94
In article <2lj2dc$o...@unicorn.itc.gu.edu.au>
rich...@unicorn.itc.gu.edu.au (Richard Kim) writes:

> Hi all,
> could someone please explain the Poontang reference to me. Is this
> a cultural joke, ie funny in the USA but not beyond its shores?
> Am I naive or am I just dim witted? :-)

(I don't know if anyone answered otherwise or not...so...)

It was my impression that Homer, et.al. were referring to "Tang, the
breakfast drink of the astronauts". You know--that orange powdered
stuff that you add water to that simulates orange juice.....

Or are we all being really obtuse? ;->

Mike Stith
University of South Carolina
Computer Services

"But that trick never works!" "This time for sure! Presto!"

Theodore C Jones

Mar 10, 1994, 12:35:11 PM3/10/94

>Dave

Unless you're refering to the difference between 'tang and lower class
Americans, I take offense. The military, IMHO, is a cross section of our
society. Yes, there are lower class people in it, but there are also a lot of
middle and upper class. First of all, you need at least a GED or high school
diploma just to get in. That stops a lot of people right there. Next, a
clean medical record. The US Army won't accept you if you have a bad back or
asthma. I can't speak for the other services, but they are similar. The pay
is less than for similar civilian jobs, i.e. medical doctor, aviation.
However, the living expenses are considerably less than in the "real world".

There are opportunities in the military that are just not available as a
civilian. But there is also a responsibilty that some people feel that they
owe to this country. As super powers go, (I use that term loose sincely,
since the US would be the only one!) we are the only country with an all
volunteer force. That gives the rest of the country the frredom to go do what
they want, including bashing the military.

So, I respect your freedom of speech. I just don't agree with the
content.

>OK, OK : :{)

Brian E. Clark

Mar 10, 1994, 2:02:37 PM3/10/94
Mike Stith (C0...@univscvm.csd.scarolina.edu) wrote:
> It was my impression that Homer, et.al. were referring to "Tang, the
> breakfast drink of the astronauts". You know--that orange powdered
> stuff that you add water to that simulates orange juice.....

> Or are we all being really obtuse? ;->

^^^^^^
Not obtuse, but too single-minded, if you get my angle. :-)

-Brian

Rebecca

Mar 10, 1994, 2:18:54 PM3/10/94
In article <2lj2dc$o...@unicorn.itc.gu.edu.au>
rich...@unicorn.itc.gu.edu.au (Richard Kim) writes:

> Hi all,
> could someone please explain the Poontang reference to me. Is this
> a cultural joke, ie funny in the USA but not beyond its shores?
> Am I naive or am I just dim witted? :-)

Actually, I think it's not even a USA ref. but a southern USA ref. I
first ran across the term poontang in a novel by a southern author.
Have never heard it outside of a southern context. In the movie
"Matewan" the wicked mine security thugs tell the widow that if it
weren't for the mining company she'd be peddaling poon tang (i.e.
engaging in prostitution). Hope that helps.

Disclaimer: I alone am responsible for my actions, interests, and
pursuits.

Stephen Holland

Mar 10, 1994, 3:11:28 PM3/10/94
In article 29...@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu, rca...@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Ron Carter) writes:
->Good day! "Poon" or "tang" or "poontang" are just three of probably 100
->or so "American" slang words for ummm, female ("lower") genitailia...
^^^^^

Where exactly are the "upper" ones?????

Andrew Robbins x69579

Mar 10, 1994, 5:28:22 PM3/10/94
In article <1994Mar10.0...@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu> rca...@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Ron Carter) writes:
>Richard Kim <rich...@unicorn.itc.gu.edu.au> wrote:
>
>>could someone please explain the Poontang reference to me. Is this
>>a cultural joke, ie funny in the USA but not beyond its shores?
>>Am I naive or am I just dim witted? :-)
>
>Good day! "Poon" or "tang" or "poontang" are just three of probably 100
>or so "American" slang words for ummm, female ("lower") genitailia...
>
>This terminology has been around for a -long- time; mostly rural.
>
>By asking the US Prez (aka Bill Clinton) about where the "`tang" was, is
>imagined by some, to be a reference to the alleged womanizing by Bill.

I think you may be missing the mark here.

Tang was an "orange flavored breakfast drink" back in the 70's...kind of like
the poor man's orange juice. It was advertised as what the astronauts drank
on space missions. I don't know what show this quote came from (in fact I
read this group to keep up on the great quotes since I am usually doing
something else on thurs night), but if it was an outerspace related one, Homer
was asking for the Tang because he was thirsty.

--

--- Andy Robbins -------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------- arob...@feds.kodak.com ---

Chris McMartin

Mar 10, 1994, 11:59:37 PM3/10/94
In article <105...@cup.portal.com> db...@cup.portal.com (David J Bell) writes:

>Dave

Thanks! We appreciate that! :)

>OK, OK : :{)
|"The very first time I ___ Chris McMartin |
| saw your face, I thought / \ PO Box 4158 |
| of a song and quickly _____| USAF Academy, CO 80841-4158 |
| changed the tune. \___/ (719)472-3050 |
| The very first time I mcmartindc95%CS...@cadetmail.usafa.af.mil |
| touched your skin, I thought |
| of a story and rushed to DISCLAIMER: If you are not completely |
| reach the end too soon." satisfied with the content of this |
| message, please return the unused |
| --The Cure, "Primary" portion to the above address and we |
| will cheerfully refund your money. |
|__________________________________________________________________________|

Marc MacNair

Mar 11, 1994, 8:38:31 AM3/11/94

Andy,

Then what about President Clinton? The call to NASA was because of the space cconnection. The call to Clinton was because of womanizing.

Marc

CHRIS MICH GEORGOULIAS

Mar 11, 1994, 9:34:46 AM3/11/94

In article <1994Mar10.2...@kodak.rdcs.kodak.com>, arob...@cherokee.ssd.kodak.com (Andrew Robbins x69579) writes:

|>Tang was an "orange flavored breakfast drink" back in the 70's...kind of like
|>the poor man's orange juice. It was advertised as what the astronauts drank
|>on space missions. I don't know what show this quote came from (in fact I
|>read this group to keep up on the great quotes since I am usually doing
|>something else on thurs night), but if it was an outerspace related one, Homer
|>was asking for the Tang because he was thirsty.

That was also part of the joke. Astronauts and Tang blended right into
Clinton and the "tang". It was a perfect relation.

This previously posted description hits it square on the nose:

>From: cy...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Marc MacNair)
>
>I just have to say that when I heard the President Clinton Tang reference
>I knew EXACTLY what they weere talking about and so did every other person
>I pointed it out to. YES Tang is what the astronauts drank and that's how
>I took the first reference, the one to NASA (why did everyone pronounce
>it Nassau?), but consider the ollowing points:
>
>1] Nothing on the Simpsons can be taken at face value
>
>2]'tang is definitely a common slang term for the female sex organ
> (see:Ted Nugent<g>)
>
>3]President Clinton has a well documented predilication towards said organ :>.

-chris

+ Chris Georgoulias | "Is anybody's name Mike Untstinks?" +
+ N.C. State University | "Mike Untstinks!!" +
+ cmg...@eos.ncsu.edu | -Red, The Tube Bar +

Ron Carter

Mar 11, 1994, 4:48:48 PM3/11/94
Stephen Holland <hol...@geop.ubc.ca> wrote:
>rca...@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Ron Carter) writes:

>->Good day! "Poon" or "tang" or "poontang" are just three of probably 100
>->or so "American" slang words for ummm, female ("lower") genitailia...
^^^^^
>Where exactly are the "upper" ones?????

*sigh* That's what I get for posting under the influence of cold
medicine; I (mis)typed "genitalia" instead of "sex organs", the upper
being breasts, natch...

--
Ron Carter \ Director \ Center for the Study of Creative Intelligence

CSCI \ Denver, CO USA \ "While you struggle with that computer, I'm naked,
rca...@nyx.cs.du.edu \ clueless, and f-e-e-e-ling GOOD!" - Ratbert

Thomas Ford Brown

Mar 13, 1994, 1:43:01 AM3/13/94

In article <tcj103.14...@psu.edu> tcj...@psu.edu (Theodore C Jones) writes:
>In article <105...@cup.portal.com> db...@cup.portal.com (David J Bell) writes:
>>>It is a slang term for the primary female sexual organ
>>>that is mostly use among lower class Americans,
>>>but which is also heard a lot in the military.
>
>>You make that sound like there's a difference???
>
> Unless you're refering to the difference between 'tang and lower class
>Americans, I take offense.

No need. "Lower class" is a socio-economic category,
not a perjorative.

The military, IMHO, is a cross section of our
>society.

Your HO is dead wrong. Ethnic minorities, as well as whites
from the lower socio-economic rungs, are over-represented
among US military personnel, particularly in the lower ranks.

Yes, there are lower class people in it, but there are also a lot of
>middle and upper class.

Actually, the proportion of recruits from upper-class
backgrounds is miniscule.

> So, I respect your freedom of speech. I just don't agree with the
>content.

Perhaps you should do a little demographic research.

ObSimpsons: This topic would make for a great episode--Homer
(or Bart) gets drafted and goes to bootcamp.

Chris Baird

Mar 13, 1994, 11:51:11 AM3/13/94

> Tang was an "orange flavored breakfast drink" back in the 70's...kind of
> like the poor man's orange juice.

If anyone cares, my mother, when a 20yo assistant at the Food
Technology wing of the CSIRO, had a part (did all the drudge work)
in inventing freeze-dried orange juice, strawberries, peas, coffee,
beer, tomatoes, goulash, ...

She left the job afterwards because of sex discrimination, and then
went on to enlist with the NSW Police Force. (`The first Australian
female Police Officer to faint in the line of Duty...' :)

--
Chris Baird,, <c...@hna.com.au>

tro...@watson.ibm.com

Mar 15, 1994, 5:21:24 PM3/15/94

Marc,

Did you ever think that he called Clinton because he is the head of the
government and NASA is a government agency.

I do NOT think this was a reference to pontang!

--
Regards,
Tom Rogers

Disclaimer: The comments in this post are not necessarily shared by my
employer, the rest of my family, or even myself.

"Now we are going to set this pile of evil ablaze. But remember, because
these are children's toys, the fire will spread quite rapidly. So, please
stand back and try not to inhale the toxic fumes."
-- Minister in _Krusty_Gets_Busted_

Brendan Dunn

Mar 15, 1994, 10:09:19 PM3/15/94
In article <CMq8r...@hawnews.watson.ibm.com>,

<tro...@watson.ibm.com> wrote:
>In <2lps8n$i...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu>, cy...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Marc MacNair) writes:
>>Andy,
>>Then what about President Clinton? The call to NASA was because of the space
>>cconnection. The call to Clinton was because of womanizing.
>>
>>Marc

>Marc,

>Did you ever think that he called Clinton because he is the head of the
>government and NASA is a government agency.

Well, of course that's why *Homer* called Clinton. And, of course, *Homer*
just meant the orange-flavored drink. Now, on the other hand,
what matters in this case is what the *writers* meant by putting this scene
in. If they just intended a "Tang as an orange-flavored drink" joke, they
could have left it with just the call to NASA, and it would have had the
same effect.
To see the writers do more of this sort of thing, watch the episode "Whacking
Day".

>I do NOT think this was a reference to pontang!

>--
>Regards,
>Tom Rogers

--Brendan

Marc MacNair

Mar 16, 1994, 1:43:14 AM3/16/94

Brendan,

I hadn't really thought of that. Yes, I guess you're right. If it's JUST a ref
to the drink than the second call is quite unnecessary from a comedy point of
view. Many thanx for helping me shore up my position.

Marc

Keith Smith

Mar 16, 1994, 1:47:33 PM3/16/94
In article <2lj2dc$o...@unicorn.itc.gu.edu.au> Richard Kim,

rich...@unicorn.itc.gu.edu.au writes:
> could someone please explain the Poontang reference to me.

I beleive that the term is a Vietnamese term for the female genitalia and
as such, originated during the Vietnam war. I am not sure about this -
it may be Korean, as other Korean terms have entered the American
vocabulary as the result of that minor "police action" in the fifties
(i.e. Kimchee)

SNYDER JOHN DAVID

Mar 16, 1994, 7:43:41 PM3/16/94

I think this whole "Tang" deal is a bit contrived. Homer just demonstrated
that he's "out there" enough to actually call the White House for such a
matter. He's actually proud of the fact that he has an FBI file for such
behavior...

"I have a file! I have a FILE!"
"Ok, we'll take them both..."
WHAK WHAK!

-JS

Emru Townsend

Mar 17, 1994, 8:46:58 AM3/17/94
tro...@watson.ibm.com writes:

>>Then what about President Clinton? The call to NASA was because of the space
>>cconnection. The call to Clinton was because of womanizing.
>>
>>Marc

>Marc,

>Did you ever think that he called Clinton because he is the head of the
>government and NASA is a government agency.

>I do NOT think this was a reference to pontang!

Likewise. I finally watched the episode last night, and wonder just how far
some people are willing to reach for supposed sexual references.

C'mon guys, give it up. He's looking for the drink. Tang is related to
space travel. Enough is enough.

Great episode, though.
--
Emru Townsend is also em...@cam.org, :Today my marble citadel looms
Emru.T...@f133.n167.z1.fidonet.org,:high above the asphalt, which

Emru Townsend

Mar 17, 1994, 8:49:15 AM3/17/94
bd...@gluttony.ugcs.caltech.edu (Brendan Dunn) writes:

>>>Then what about President Clinton? The call to NASA was because of the space
>>>cconnection. The call to Clinton was because of womanizing.
>>>
>>>Marc

>>Marc,

>>Did you ever think that he called Clinton because he is the head of the
>>government and NASA is a government agency.

>Well, of course that's why *Homer* called Clinton. And, of course, *Homer*
>just meant the orange-flavored drink. Now, on the other hand,
>what matters in this case is what the *writers* meant by putting this scene
>in. If they just intended a "Tang as an orange-flavored drink" joke, they
>could have left it with just the call to NASA, and it would have had the
>same effect.
>To see the writers do more of this sort of thing, watch the episode "Whacking
>Day".

And I say that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. "Tang" is a relatively
obscure neologism; while many North Americans would recognize "poontang", I
don't think many abbreviate it to "'tang".

My last word on the subject, 'cause I have no more to say and better things
to do.

Keith Smith

Mar 17, 1994, 3:01:01 PM3/17/94
In article <2ljlpt$6...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> Marc MacNair,

cy...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu writes:
>I'll try to be delicate so as not to offend anyone. It is a slang
>term for the primary female sexual organ that is mostly use among lower
>class Americans, but which is also heard a lot in the military. It is

I believe that it is a Vietnamese word for the female genitalia and as
such originated during the Vietnam war. I am not sure about this, it may
be Korean as other terms entered the American vocabulary as a result of
that "police action" (i.e. Kimchee)

Nick J Worthey

Mar 19, 1994, 3:59:49 AM3/19/94
Excerpts from netnews.alt.tv.simpsons: 17-Mar-94 Re: What is 'tang? by
Emru Town...@CAM.ORG
> And I say that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. "Tang" is a relatively
> obscure neologism; while many North Americans would recognize "poontang", I
> don't think many abbreviate it to "'tang".

I think that just a week or so before DSH aired, the abbreviated form,
'tang, was used on SNL, drawing laughter from the audience. Obviously,
they understood it.

Here's a question: How could the writers of the funniest show on TV
(they must be pretty sharp, humor wise) have Homer mention "tang" (yes,
it IS sexual slang) to Clinton (who definitely has a reputation for
womanizing) and NOT realize the connection? I don't see why so many
people refuse to believe that the writers might have included a veiled
sexual reference.

--
Nick

Marc MacNair

Mar 19, 1994, 12:09:23 PM3/19/94

Nick,

I think anyone who had heard the term before believed it and anyone
else didn't.

Marc

Emru Townsend

Mar 20, 1994, 11:36:59 AM3/20/94

Because sometimes jokes are unintentional. To paraphrase George Carlin,
it's like when grade school kids laugh at the phrase, "The cock crowed three
times."

Okay, so if it's supposed to be 'tang and not Tang in this case, why did
Homer ask NASA? For that matter, why would Homer be asking about 'tang in
the first place, considering that he and Marge have a pretty healthy sex
life? (The Simpsons parents have sex more than any other North American
cartoon stars.)

Nick J Worthey

Mar 20, 1994, 4:07:50 PM3/20/94
Excerpts from netnews.alt.tv.simpsons: 20-Mar-94 Re: What is 'tang? by
Emru Town...@CAM.ORG
> >Here's a question: How could the writers of the funniest show on TV
> >(they must be pretty sharp, humor wise) have Homer mention "tang" (yes,
> >it IS sexual slang) to Clinton (who definitely has a reputation for
> >womanizing) and NOT realize the connection? I don't see why so many
> >people refuse to believe that the writers might have included a veiled
> >sexual reference.
>
> Because sometimes jokes are unintentional. To paraphrase George Carlin,
> it's like when grade school kids laugh at the phrase, "The cock crowed three
> times."

Why don't you read more carefully? You missed my point. The point is
it's not likely to be unintentional coming from the Simpsons writers.
After reading, re-reading, and editing the script how could the
Clinton/Tang connection slip by them. Their job is to see humorous
connections like that. Do you think they just slap together a script and
toss it at the animators without thinking about each joke carefully?

--
Nick

Robert Briggs

Mar 20, 1994, 8:17:15 PM3/20/94
On 21 Mar 1994 00:31:19 GMT John P Lawrence (j...@osustat.mps.ohio-state.edu) wrote:

> This is the most irritating thread I have seen here. I missed the joke
> when I watched the episode, also. But, when it was pointed out to me I
> thought it was funny.

> Bye Bye.

> Which part didn't you understand. The Bye or the Bye.

I agree!

1) Tang was a reference to the breakfast drink.
2) Tang was a reference to Poontang.

Please pick the sentence that you most agree with, and PUT THIS THREAD TO
REST!!!!!!!

--

__________
***************************************\ /***

Elizabeth Beckhusen

Mar 21, 1994, 12:31:23 AM3/21/94
> This is the most irritating thread I have seen here. I missed the joke
> when I watched the episode, also. But, when it was pointed out to me I
> thought it was funny.
>
> Bye Bye.
>
> Which part didn't you understand. The Bye or the Bye.
>
> Here's you: Tang was an orange flavored breakfast drink.
> Here's me: Bye Bye.
> you: I have better things to do.
> me: Bye Bye.
I couldn't agree with you more. This whole 'tang thing has gotten WAY
out of control. Can we please drop it and move on?

Becky

PS-I love the SNL reference!

Elliott J Witney

Mar 21, 1994, 6:51:35 AM3/21/94
This little thread cuts to the core of why I love the Simpsons.
My Calculus III professor said it best.

This withered old man, of about 65, was rambling on and on one day
about ten dimensions and oscillatory harmonic motion (perhaps I am
mixing a couple lectures, but they all seem to flow together after a
while), when a timid young man (me) asked a question. His reply? "D'oh!"
This guy saying this left me clutching my stomach in pain, from laughter.
It was perfect. He went on to discuss why the only two shows he watched
on T.V. ever were The Simpsons and 60 Minutes. His words: (paraphrased)
"The Simpsons is funny on all kinds of levels. Someone might find one
scene funny because of the allusion to historic Rome, while another person
might laugh just because Homer has a goofy facial expression."

The 'tang reference was clear to me. I burst out laughing. The
person with whom I watched it, however, who also happens to be a Sociology
grad.student and teacher of one of my classes, did not laugh. I
explained, at a commercial break, why I laughed, and he laughed, too.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

On a side note, I also laughed during that episode when Barney and
Homer were both drinking something (I forget what) from a straw, and
the sound of Homer's drinking was the distinctive gurgling that a bong
gives off.

elliott witney
ejwi...@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

John P Lawrence

Mar 20, 1994, 7:31:19 PM3/20/94

em...@CAM.ORG (Emru Townsend) writes:

17 March

>And I say that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. "Tang" is a relatively
>obscure neologism; while many North Americans would recognize "poontang", I
>don't think many abbreviate it to "'tang".

>My last word on the subject, 'cause I have no more to say and better things
>to do.

20 March

>Okay, so if it's supposed to be 'tang and not Tang in this case, why did
>Homer ask NASA? For that matter, why would Homer be asking about 'tang in
>the first place, considering that he and Marge have a pretty healthy sex
>life? (The Simpsons parents have sex more than any other North American
>cartoon stars.)

This is the most irritating thread I have seen here. I missed the joke

CHRIS MICH GEORGOULIAS

Mar 21, 1994, 3:36:25 PM3/21/94

Of course this thread is old. Some people will never get it.

The first call, to NASA, about Tang was about the breakfast drink of the
astronauts.

The second call, to Clinton, was playing on the aforementioned Tang. This
time it slyly referred to the Clinton-Jennifer Flowers ditty as 'tang.

It's not one "tang" or the other. It's both. It used the same word two
different ways.

If it was just about the breakfast drink, Homer wouldn't have called the White
House. It wouldn't have made sense.

Why is it so hard to understand? It's not even funny anymore because of
this thread.

Al Wesolowsky

Mar 21, 1994, 7:47:19 PM3/21/94
CHRIS MICH GEORGOULIAS (cmg...@eos.ncsu.edu) wrote:

: The first call, to NASA, about Tang was about the breakfast drink of the
: astronauts.

: The second call, to Clinton, was playing on the aforementioned Tang. This
: time it slyly referred to the Clinton-Jennifer Flowers ditty as 'tang.

: It's not one "tang" or the other. It's both. It used the same word two
: different ways.

It's a floor wax *and* a dessert topping!

"Hi, Dr. Nick!"

--
Al B. Wesolowsky o Kid Eternity on The Infobahn:
a...@crsa.bu.edu o NC: "This is MY kinda road!"

Emru Townsend

Mar 21, 1994, 9:10:18 AM3/21/94
Nick J Worthey <nw...@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

I do read quite carefully, thank you. And, after having watched the show
since its beginnings, I feel that the writers have done better when it comes
to double entendres; it doesn't feel like, say, the "women and seamen" gag,
because there is nothing in the situation that leads up to it, however
subtly.
--
"Okay, I've got the industrial cable and the horseshoes... now all
that's left is to put them together!"

Emru Townsend

Mar 22, 1994, 9:21:28 AM3/22/94

>Bye Bye.

Ya know, there are times when someone comes back to a topic and you decide
to make another point, despite your intentions. That's all. Is it
necessary to get insulting?

Here's a free clue: If you don't want to continue it, don't answer.

Unknown

Mar 24, 1994, 10:54:49 AM3/24/94

>>>Okay, so if it's supposed to be 'tang and not Tang in this case, why did
>>>Homer ask NASA? For that matter, why would Homer be asking about 'tang in
>>>the first place, considering that he and Marge have a pretty healthy sex
>>>life? (The Simpsons parents have sex more than any other North American
>>>cartoon stars.)

Sorry to bring it back, but I missed the whole conversation. I believe the
drink Tang was developed by NASA for astronauts before it ever became a
public drink. It could just be that simple. Not to mention that he did
several other "commercial" type endorsements that episode like "Ruffles"
(to the tune of 2001).

Chad

dansi...@delphi.com

Mar 24, 1994, 10:14:55 PM3/24/94
Well, I'm not even going to jump into the fray on this one, but some liguistic
work seems to be in order.
My best sources indicate that "poontang" comes from the French "putain".
This accounts for the word's popularity in Vietnam (occupied by the French bee
the war) and in the south (strong French community in Louisiana).

Dave Dalle

Mar 25, 1994, 4:40:08 PM3/25/94

In a previous article, em...@CAM.ORG (Emru Townsend) says:

>Nick J Worthey <nw...@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>

>I do read quite carefully, thank you. And, after having watched the show
>since its beginnings, I feel that the writers have done better when it comes
>to double entendres; it doesn't feel like, say, the "women and seamen" gag,
>because there is nothing in the situation that leads up to it, however
>subtly.
>--
> "Okay, I've got the industrial cable and the horseshoes... now all
> that's left is to put them together!"
> Emru Townsend, aka: em...@cam.org, swi...@bix.com, Fido: 1:167/133
> Live and in colour from Montreal, Quebec!

The Best Simpson's episodes are the ones which are completely psycho and
nothing makes sense
p.s. when I first saw that episode I though he was refering to Tang the
old orange drink (with the slogan 'Tang every morning') Now that I know
what Tang was referring to it's hysterical.

Dave

--
True connoisseurs of poetry have been at all times and in all places
exactly so rare as true poets themselves. -Lessing

Emru Townsend

Apr 4, 1994, 9:26:28 PM4/4/94
dansi...@delphi.com writes:

...which seems to be close to "puta" (Spanish), which can be used either for
genitalia or derisively ("whore").
Emru Townsend, aka: em...@cam.org, @ BIX Animation Conference:
swi...@bix.com, Fido: 1:167/133 @ Anime, Manga, and Comics
All dressed up with nowhere to go. @ E-mail for more info