Notes for UABF05 (The Longest Marge) and QABF19 repeat dedication, plus airdate statistics

Matt Garvey

Jan 2, 2022, 10:11:36 PM1/2/22
How did this wind up feeling like a fawning "celebrity lives with the Simpsons" episode when it was a made-up character? When the rest of the family wasn't acting funny, the athlete was just grating. The pairing of Marge and Mr. Burns as parental figures had a tiny bit of promise and a tiny bit of payoff, and that's about it.

Previous episode stuff
YABF19: John Mulaney is back as "Warburton Parker" (name not given in this episode though)

When did the faces on paper money get so big? As I recall, the new design first rolled out in 1996, so presumably it's been almost that long since bills $5 or over have been in the collection baskets (lower denominations came out later, and older bills stuck around for a while of course too). Not a bad gag.

Duffman isn't sure how what name to use with the brandy, but why not Chugman?

Let's get the heck out of here!
John Madden died last week, so tonight's episode featured a dedication to him before the Gracie logo, with what must be a still from AABF08. Appropriate for a sports episode. He also died a few days before Betty White did, but I imagine a dedication to her will show up soon.

In other dedication update news:
Last week's second airing of QABF19 (The Wayz We Were) on 12/26 added a dedication to writer Frank Mula, with no depiction of him but an image from the end of 9F13 (I Love Lisa), one of the episodes credited to him. The airing was also severely time compressed, cutting about 40 seconds off.

And now: my answer to a question no one asked!

With over 700 episodes, it would be pretty hard for any given month and day to not have a Simpsons airing on it, right? Pretty hard, but not impossible. This episode (UABF05) is the first episode to premiere on January 2nd, in fact (it does seem early in the year, doesn't it?), following the double date of October 13 and 20 in 2019; there are still some dates yet to tick off, though!

Three of them are "in season" and regular dates. January 18, February 1, and April 12 have never seen a new episode air, ever. Neither has February 29, but that has only had a quarter of the chances, of course. (Actually, 2004 was the only year leap day was on the typical day of the week, and Fox ran The Phantom Menace that night. Next leap Sunday is in 2032.)

Other dates with no episode premieres: May 24 to September 3 (minus those oddball "summer episodes" of early years, 7/11, 8/23, 8/27, and 7/27 for the movie if you like), other scattered dates in September (5-9, 12-16, 22), and most of the Christmas-New-Year corridor (December 22-25, 27-28, 30-31, January 1 but no longer 2).

Every month except June has seen a new episode air, and every day of the week except Monday and Saturday.

But if all network airings are included, the list of exceptions goes down considerably, of course. Fox has aired episodes in every month, and on every day of the week. It actually has not aired an episode, ever, on two particular dates: February 29 (see above) and May 29!

May 29 managed to leapfrog the usual day of the week because of leap years several times, and in 2005, 2011, and 2016 NASCAR races aired instead. It's not part of the usual season, but reruns happen year round, and May 29 is a Sunday again this year (2022)! Well, the same NASCAR race is scheduled for that day, with Fox coverage, but there could be a rain delay, or a bonus episode wedged in. Fingers crossed! Then maybe Fox can just cut us a break and run a repeat on Thursday, February 29, 2024, if the show hasn't ended by then.

For the other normal dates yet to see new episodes: when they've fallen on the normal day of the week, they've always been reruns or preemptions. All three of them (1/18, 2/1, 4/12) are Sundays in 2026 (which would be season 37, again, if the show makes it that long). And it will be 2024 (season 36) when virgin mid-September dates are Sundays. I'll keep my eyes open. You do the same (and point out any mistakes I might have made)! That's all for now.

Ant

Jan 3, 2022, 2:37:03 AM1/3/22
Weird to have it at 9:00 PM PST tonight. So so episode. No new episode
next Sunday night, but a new Family Guy episode will be shown unlike
tonight.
--
:) NY! Let's hope 2022 will B betta than da last 2, but it's seems da same so far. :(
| |o o| |

Bice

Jan 3, 2022, 8:09:15 AM1/3/22
On Sun, 2 Jan 2022 19:11:35 -0800 (PST), Matt Garvey
<mx...@po.cwru.edu> wrote:

>When did the faces on paper money get so big? As I recall, the new design f=
>irst rolled out in 1996, so presumably it's been almost that long since bil=
>ls $5 or over have been in the collection baskets (lower denominations came=
> out later, and older bills stuck around for a while of course too). Not a =
>bad gag.

Yeah, that joke got the biggest laugh from me for this episode.

It seemed like the animation was a little off in this episode, or like
they're trying some new animation method. I couldn't really put my
figure on it, but every now and then I thought it looked different
from recent Simpsons episodes. Maybe I imagined it.

-- Bob