'Worst Episode Ever' source?

Tom Meyer

Nov 16, 2003, 6:13:49 AM11/16/03
What background is there to the Comic Book Guy and his 'worst episode ever'?
Did it originate in this newsgroup, and did someone actually say 'Worst
episode ever.'?

Scott Munro

Nov 16, 2003, 9:34:25 AM11/16/03
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 11:13:49 GMT, "Tom Meyer" <fa...@email.address>
wrote:

>What background is there to the Comic Book Guy and his 'worst episode ever'?
>Did it originate in this newsgroup, and did someone actually say 'Worst
>episode ever.'?

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=1992Nov4.202847.1735%40oracle.us.oracle.com

or, more plausibly: http://tinyurl.com/v7l4

That, from November 4, 1992, seems to be the earliest occurrence of
the phrase "worst episode ever" in a.t.s.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=+%22worst+episode+ever%22+group:alt.tv.simpsons&start=80&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&scoring=d&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as_minm=5&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=16&as_maxm=11&as_maxy=1994&selm=5068.1425.uupcb%40mpoli.fi&rnum=90&filter=0

or http://tinyurl.com/v7lb

This, from October 9, 1993, would appear to be the first appearance of
the phrase on its own (that is, not part of a complete sentence).

The original airdate of [4F12] "The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show"
was Feb, 9, 1997.

--
Conservatism is the ideology of reality.

Mr. Costington

Nov 16, 2003, 9:37:22 AM11/16/03
"Tom Meyer" <fa...@email.address> wrote in message

He said it about the Itchy & Scratchy & Poochy show. (4F12)

Also, in the episode when Bart rescues the horse and races it, he wears a
shirt with those three words printed on it. (BABF09)

Scott Munro

Nov 16, 2003, 10:24:23 AM11/16/03
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 14:34:25 GMT, Scott Munro <sp...@toomuchspam.spam>
wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 11:13:49 GMT, "Tom Meyer" <fa...@email.address>
>wrote:
>
>>What background is there to the Comic Book Guy and his 'worst episode ever'?
>>Did it originate in this newsgroup, and did someone actually say 'Worst
>>episode ever.'?
>
>http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=1992Nov4.202847.1735%40oracle.us.oracle.com
>
>or, more plausibly: http://tinyurl.com/v7l4

Hmmmm. I seem to have screwed that up. Try this one:

http://tinyurl.com/v7qv

donutbandit

Nov 16, 2003, 1:07:57 PM11/16/03
"Tom Meyer" <fa...@email.address> wrote in

> What background is there to the Comic Book Guy and his 'worst episode
> ever'? Did it originate in this newsgroup, and did someone actually
> say 'Worst episode ever.'?

There used to be someone in this group who posted that phrase after every
new airing. In fact, if there was signature phrase for ATS, it would be
either "worst episode ever" or "a wizard did it."

Jouni Paakkinen

Nov 16, 2003, 1:33:01 PM11/16/03
wrote:

>What background is there to the Comic Book Guy and his 'worst episode ever'?

>Did it originate in this newsgroup, and did someone actually say 'Worst
>episode ever.'?

I think the question is, who *hasn't* said it in this group. ;)

-Jouni

--
S1.3 HOM+++ I&S++ CBG++ FRI@ CLE-- GIL- Mrs. Krabappel*
f+++ n+/++ Ilpswo $++++ 8F02,9F01,9F15,9F22 M1971

Learn the Simpsons Geek Code: http://www.snpp.com/guides/geekcode.html

David

Nov 16, 2003, 11:27:32 PM11/16/03
wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 11:13:49 GMT, "Tom Meyer" <fa...@email.address>

>wrote:
>
>>What background is there to the Comic Book Guy and his 'worst episode ever'?
>>Did it originate in this newsgroup, and did someone actually say 'Worst
>>episode ever.'?
>
>http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=1992Nov4.202847.1735%40oracle.us.oracle.com
>
>or, more plausibly: http://tinyurl.com/v7l4
>
>That, from November 4, 1992, seems to be the earliest occurrence of
>the phrase "worst episode ever" in a.t.s.

And it's been posted after every episode ever since

Gus

Nov 17, 2003, 7:09:45 AM11/17/03
Mr. Costington wrote:

"Worst episode ever" is a take off of all the reviews of "Star Trek"
episodes posted to Usenet over the years. CBG is a major Trekkie.

UserGoogol

Nov 17, 2003, 3:55:24 PM11/17/03
Gus <Gus...@XXX.optonline.net> wrote in message news:<dU2ub.10972$Uj2.1...@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...

Probably, but we're all pretty sure it was a personal attack on us,
the alt.tv.simpsons posters, because Mike Scully and Ian
Maxtone-Graham are pod people.

Gus

Nov 17, 2003, 6:38:24 PM11/17/03
UserGoogol wrote: