Sesame Place Issues Multiple Apologies As Video Of Character Seemingly Ignoring Two Black Children Goes Viral

Ubiquitous

Jul 19, 2022, 11:20:26 AM7/19/22
A video of the Sesame Place character Rosita seemingly ignoring two children
at a parade has some critics accusing the park employee of racism.

“#BabyPaige & her cute lil friends went to @SesamePlace this weekend to
celebrate Paige’s 4th birthday & this is how #SesamePlace treated these
beautiful Black children. I’m HOT,” a Twitter user wrote along with a short
video clip of the incident, which was also shared to Instagram. While walking
in the parade, the amusement park employee dressed as Rosita is seen
gesturing no to something, then walks away before greeting the two girls.

“WHATTTTTTT. Oh hell no. This is heartbreaking. Why are people so damn mean?”
one commenter responded. “Is this how you treat our babies? I was planning on
taking my children this year but not if they’ll be subjected to this type of
treatment. Gross.”

“I just want to know one thing. Was this employee terminated? Because they
don’t need training, they need to be gone,” another person wrote.

#BabyPaige & her cute lil friends went to @SesamePlace this weekend
to celebrate Paige's 4th birthday & this is how #SesamePlace treated
these beautiful Black children. I'm HOT. pic.twitter.com/wATjpRzUF1

— Leslie Mac (@LeslieMac) July 17, 2022

Destiny’s Child singer Kelly Rowland also weighed in on the video. “Ok so,
had that been me, that whole parade would have been in flames,” she shared to
Instagram on Sunday. “Like, are you serious? You’re not going to speak to my
child?” And did you see that baby’s face at the end? The little one with the
pink on? She deserves an explanation. Hello.”

Sesame Place is a theme park located in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, which
features a variety of rides, shows, and water attractions all based on the
popular show. They also have employees dressed in costume that children can
interact with in the park.

The video clip started gaining attention after being shared on social media,
which led to Sesame Place offering a statement via their Instagram page.

“Our brand, our park and our employees stand for inclusivity and equality in
all forms,” the statement read. “Regarding the incident yesterday, the
costumes our performers wear sometimes make it difficult to see at lower
levels and sometimes our performers miss hug requests from guests.”

“The performer portraying the Rosita character has confirmed that the ‘no’
hand gesture seen several times in the video was not directed to any specific
person, rather it was a response to multiple requests from someone in the
crowd who asked Rosita to hold their child for a photo which is not
permitted,” the explanation continued.

The statement also said that a representative for the park spoke to the
family and invited them to a special meet and greet opportunity with the
characters.

On Monday, Sesame Place issued a second apology.

“We sincerely apologize to the family for their experience in our park on
Saturday; we know that it’s not ok. We are taking actions to do better. We
are committed to making this right. We will conduct training for our
employees so they better understand, recognize and deliver an inclusive,
equitable, and entertaining experience for our guests,” the second statement
read.

“For over 40 years Sesame Place has worked to uphold the values of respect,
inclusion and belonging. We are committed to doing a better job making
children and families feel special, seen and included when they come to our
parks.”

That apology is not enough for some followers on social media, though. “Time
to shut it down!” the top Instagram comment says.

--
Let's go Brandon!

anim8rfsk

Jul 19, 2022, 12:28:07 PM7/19/22
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
> A video of the Sesame Place character Rosita seemingly ignoring two children
> at a parade has some critics accusing the park employee of racism.

So they’re upset over this?

https://t.co/wATjpRzUF1

Can we go ahead and put Kelly Roland in prison now?

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

A Friend

Jul 19, 2022, 4:20:48 PM7/19/22
In article <tb6i3o$14l42$1...@dont-email.me>, Ubiquitous
<web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> A video of the Sesame Place character Rosita seemingly ignoring two children
> at a parade has some critics accusing the park employee of racism.

It doesn't look to me as if the monster simply ignored or overlooked
the kids. It looks to me as if the monster waved them off.

moviePig

Jul 19, 2022, 4:54:46 PM7/19/22
People who find the alleged personal affront to be totally gonzo
implausible might be tempted to accept this obvious fabrication:

“The performer portraying the Rosita character has confirmed that
the ‘no’ hand gesture seen several times in the video was not directed
to any specific person, rather it was a response to multiple requests
from someone in the crowd who asked Rosita to hold their child for a
photo which is not permitted. The Rosita performer did not intentionally
ignore the girls and is devastated about the misunderstanding.”

But I am no fool, and see evidence here of Joe Biden's secret 'executive
order' that black children should be neither seen nor heard...

trotsky

Jul 19, 2022, 6:09:27 PM7/19/22
If that's true then what the fuck are the racists supposed to talk about?

James Fabiano

Jul 23, 2022, 2:26:54 PM7/23/22
Is Ronald Grump the new meet and greet character? LOL!