The Electric Company

9 views
Skip to first unread message

Hologram

unread,
Jul 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/5/96
to

Ok kids, out of that WHOLE list the only responses I got were of the
Magic Garden (and THAT was limited to 3 states!), the Electric
Company, the Patchwork Family, and Pinwheel (How can you forget Villa
Alegre?).

I also forgot to add the Great Space Coaster, 3-2-1 Contact, and the
all time classic, New Zoo Revue.

Well then, it is again time to dive deep into our twisted minds and
reminisce on my new subject O' the day..

THE ELECTRIC COMPANY!

My memory is semi-spotty on this one, probably because they seemed to
have more content/less repetition than Sesame, so help me out if I am
lacking.

- EASY READER - probably the most well known shtick. Oscar winner
Morgan Freeman, sporting a SERIOUS afro, grooves on in to the theme
from "Shaft" and... reads.

- SPIDERMAN - kinda cool. A live action Spidey (who never talks, just
thinks in cartoon bubbles) shoots animated/rope webs at a variety of
dastardly characters. The ones that stick out in my mind are the
Bookworm, the Yeti (sat on the cake), and the One-Two punch guys

- THE DIRECTOR - Rita Moreno's high-strung director character in her
Cecille B. DeMille garb always seemed to be pissed off that she never
got the shot. Maybe if she stopped yelling cut or got some competent
actors then the film would get done

- THE BLUE BEETLE - a superhero

- DONT POINT LITTLE GIRL - Manners conscious Cowboy directs little
girl to WRITE that the stampede is about to trample him. Swift.

- J. ARTHUR CRANK - One of the regulars (I think it maybe was Alex
Rocco) is a really mean guy that likes nothing and no one.

- THERE'S (SOMETHING) AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA - Unsure. I think it
was a hole, or a boat... Went on and on... There's hole, in the moat,
in the boat, on the toad, in the road, in the mold, at the bottom of
the sea (probably not...)

- (INSERT NAME HERE) LICKED A LOLLY - Polly, Molly, Billy, Holly, all
eating gigantic lolipops and dancing while wearing strange outfits.

- THE SINGING KIDS - What were they called? I only remember the tall
girl with the long black hair who looking kind of oriental.

- THE GIRLS WHO JUMPED ON THE BED AND WOULDNT GET UP FOR SCHOOL -
Something like that, the girls mom kept trying to wake them and the
funny thing was that it was saturday and they didn't even have to go!
ha ha!

- THE PLANT SHOP OWNER - The bald Puerto Rican guy with the mustache
from "Hill Street Blues" has a puppet plant named Maurice who always
kind of scared me... a... little. (he kind of mumbled in a scratchy
voice)

- THOSE SHADOW FACES THAT SPAT WORDS - Two sillouetted faces created
words by cooperation. One would say a sound, and the other would say
the second half of the word. They always started with the same sound
(ie, "buh", "us", "bus" -- "buh", "ird", "bird") man this is tough to
explain via typing, not to mention wholly unneccessary.

- FARGO NORTH, DECODER - This guy was a gem. He plugged in words to
his magic decoder and solved mysteries. Any other details would be
appreciated.

- THE LETTERMAN - This sounds SO familiar and I can even hear Joan
Rivers saying his name, but I remember NOTHING about him. Please help
me (in as much detail as possible)


Ok, thats good for now.. let's keep it going.

Melissa Yowhan

unread,
Jul 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/5/96
to

How about the songs? Punc-punc-punc-punctuation! Th, th, th, thanks to th,
Does anyone remember a song called "TION"? You know, the TION sound that
ends words. It used to have a really catchy song with a chorus of guys in
the back going "Tion, tion, tion, tion". And then I remember another
song about Frankenstein with this cartoony skit that went along with it.
And let's not forget the theme song "We're gonna turn it on...."! w/b/s
Melissa


Aaron Sica

unread,
Jul 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/6/96
to

holo...@ix.netcom.com (Hologram) wrote:

>THE ELECTRIC COMPANY!

Boy did you hit the bullseye....I love this show and unfortunately I
only have episode on videotape...But I'd like more, if anyone has
them..


>- SPIDERMAN - kinda cool. A live action Spidey (who never talks, just
>thinks in cartoon bubbles) shoots animated/rope webs at a variety of
>dastardly characters. The ones that stick out in my mind are the
>Bookworm, the Yeti (sat on the cake), and the One-Two punch guys

The episode I have has Spiderman vs. The Prankster. :) I always liked
it when the "web" flashed on the screen from Spidey's finger.

>- THOSE SHADOW FACES THAT SPAT WORDS - Two sillouetted faces created
>words by cooperation. One would say a sound, and the other would say
>the second half of the word. They always started with the same sound
>(ie, "buh", "us", "bus" -- "buh", "ird", "bird") man this is tough to
>explain via typing, not to mention wholly unneccessary.

Oh yes.....I remember this. It's on the episode I have too...


>- THE LETTERMAN - This sounds SO familiar and I can even hear Joan
>Rivers saying his name, but I remember NOTHING about him. Please help
>me (in as much detail as possible)

I don't have him on my episode, but I do remember him...He completely
changed an object by changing the letter on it....changed CAT to HAT,
for example...


>Ok, thats good for now.. let's keep it going.

Also on my episode is:

PRESTON PROUD-Designed to each the letter P.
UP AND DOWN - Clever way to end the show. Road Runner and Wile E.
Coyote have signs which say "up" and "down" and at the end, as Wile E.
Coyote falls to his doom,, Road Runner brings up a sign that says
"Bye-Bye!".

And also, the episode I have is a Friday show...:) Which means they
show the long credits, which i used to LOVE...All the characters from
the show and stuff....
A.

BTW...I'm moved so much typing this, be sure to look for an "Electric
Company" home page very soon, if there isn't one already...

Eve Cunning

unread,
Jul 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/7/96
to

Here's more Electric Company bits:

YARDS AND YARDS OF YELLOW YARN: Lady was singing about a sweater she
was knitting for her friend. At the end, the lady shows us a picture
of her friend--who is a giraffe.

SPAGHETTI WITH A SPOON: Messy song about how you can't eat spaghetti
with a spoon.

GREEDY GREG GRABBED THE GREEN GRAPES: Alliteration song. I can't
remember any more than that.

POISON: A song about "Don't mess with poison, or you will die."

I'M NOT SLOPPY: A song about sloppy and neat. "I'm not sloppy, like
my brother, Bob. I'm not a sloppy, sloppy, sloppy slob." "I'm not
neat, like my brother, Pete..."

T-I-O-N: Animated bit. "T-I-O-N, shun shun shun, T-I-O-N, shun shun
shun..." Pollution, revolution...

SILENTLY, L-Y: Animated bit about adverbs ending in L-Y. I think
there's a monster involved.

I'M A COOL, POOL FOOL: Slick animated bit about the OO sound.

IT'S THE PLUMBER, I'VE COME TO FIX THE SINK: An animated bit about a
plumber who knocks on the door, to which a pet parrot replies, "Who is
it?" over and over, resulting in the plumber keeling over. The end is
someone asking the parrot, "Who is it?" and he replies, "It's the
plumber, he's come to fix the sink."

2001 ALIENS BITS: A 2001-esque monolith crumbles to reveal, to a
crowd of aliens, a vowel sound, which they all pronounce dramatically.
"OO!"

VICTOR BORGE: He reads a story about a dragon, using his fun
punctuation noises.

NITTY GRITTY: Rhyming song. I can only remember pieces. "Funny
bunny, funny bunny! That's a couple of words that rhyme for a comical
rabbit, happy pappy funny bunny nitty gritty, oh!" (Of course that's
probably not the right order, but what are you going to do with a
mixed up memory that's been stuck in your head for twenty or so
years?)

--Eve


holo...@ix.netcom.com (Hologram) wrote:
:- EASY READER - probably the most well known shtick. Oscar winner


:Morgan Freeman, sporting a SERIOUS afro, grooves on in to the theme
:from "Shaft" and... reads.

:
:- SPIDERMAN - kinda cool. A live action Spidey (who never talks, just


:thinks in cartoon bubbles) shoots animated/rope webs at a variety of
:dastardly characters. The ones that stick out in my mind are the
:Bookworm, the Yeti (sat on the cake), and the One-Two punch guys

:
:- THE DIRECTOR - Rita Moreno's high-strung director character in her


:Cecille B. DeMille garb always seemed to be pissed off that she never
:got the shot. Maybe if she stopped yelling cut or got some competent
:actors then the film would get done
:
:- THE BLUE BEETLE - a superhero
:
:- DONT POINT LITTLE GIRL - Manners conscious Cowboy directs little
:girl to WRITE that the stampede is about to trample him. Swift.
:
:- J. ARTHUR CRANK - One of the regulars (I think it maybe was Alex
:Rocco) is a really mean guy that likes nothing and no one.
:
:- THERE'S (SOMETHING) AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA - Unsure. I think it
:was a hole, or a boat... Went on and on... There's hole, in the moat,
:in the boat, on the toad, in the road, in the mold, at the bottom of
:the sea (probably not...)
:
:- (INSERT NAME HERE) LICKED A LOLLY - Polly, Molly, Billy, Holly, all
:eating gigantic lolipops and dancing while wearing strange outfits.
:
:- THE SINGING KIDS - What were they called? I only remember the tall
:girl with the long black hair who looking kind of oriental.
:
:- THE GIRLS WHO JUMPED ON THE BED AND WOULDNT GET UP FOR SCHOOL -
:Something like that, the girls mom kept trying to wake them and the
:funny thing was that it was saturday and they didn't even have to go!
:ha ha!
:
:- THE PLANT SHOP OWNER - The bald Puerto Rican guy with the mustache
:from "Hill Street Blues" has a puppet plant named Maurice who always
:kind of scared me... a... little. (he kind of mumbled in a scratchy
:voice)

:
:- THOSE SHADOW FACES THAT SPAT WORDS - Two sillouetted faces created


:words by cooperation. One would say a sound, and the other would say
:the second half of the word. They always started with the same sound
:(ie, "buh", "us", "bus" -- "buh", "ird", "bird") man this is tough to
:explain via typing, not to mention wholly unneccessary.

:
:- FARGO NORTH, DECODER - This guy was a gem. He plugged in words to


:his magic decoder and solved mysteries. Any other details would be
:appreciated.

:
:- THE LETTERMAN - This sounds SO familiar and I can even hear Joan


:Rivers saying his name, but I remember NOTHING about him. Please help
:me (in as much detail as possible)

:
:
:Ok, thats good for now.. let's keep it going.


Aaron Sica

unread,
Jul 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/7/96
to

>:Ok, thats good for now.. let's keep it going.

I just remembered one...

WINNIE HAS FIVE SECONDS--A word would appear above Winnie's head and
Skip Hinnant would say, "Winnie has five seconds to say this word. Can
you say it before she does?" And when she got it (although I think I
remember times when she *didn't*), sirens and stuff would go off....
A.

Powdered TOAST Man

unread,
Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96
to

Eve Cunning (ecun...@nando.net) wrote:
:
: holo...@ix.netcom.com (Hologram) wrote:
: :- EASY READER - probably the most well known shtick. Oscar winner
: :Morgan Freeman, sporting a SERIOUS afro, grooves on in to the theme
: :from "Shaft" and... reads.
: :
: :Ok, thats good for now.. let's keep it going.

The only one I remember is.
PUNC-PUNC-PUNC-PUNC-TUAT-ION !
They are the litte marks that use their IN-FLU-ENCE
To help a sentense make MORE SENCE !!
Had some dancing girls and a cool dude on the Bongos.
Examples:
(Period) the tv is on.
(Question mark) is the tv on ?
(Exclemation mark) the tv is on fire !

In Australia, we call a period a full stop !.
A period is what women say they have when you want to play with them.

regards,:

--
PUMP(clap)YOU_UP!PUMP(clap)YOU_UP!PUMP(clap)YOU_UP!PUMP(clap)YOU_UP!!!!!!!!!
Powdered TOAST Man. When a problem comes along
- You must whip it.
s303...@mpce.mq.edu.au Before the cream stands out too long
- You must whip it.
PUMP(clap)YOU_UP!PUMP(clap)YOU_UP!PUMP(clap)YOU_UP!PUMP(clap)YOU_UP!!!!!!!!!

mrc...@pipeline.com

unread,
Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96
to

In article <4rtt47$j...@sunb.ocs.mq.edu.au>, Powdered TOAST Man writes:

Classic "Punctuation" song snipped.

>In Australia, we call a period a full stop !.
>A period is what women say they have when you want to play with them.
>
And is "Question Mark" something you do when you want an answer from Mark?
(duck)

:)
-Dave

mrc...@pipeline.com

unread,
Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96
to

Ann Marie Fick

unread,
Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96
to

Eve Cunning (ecun...@nando.net) wrote:


: SILENTLY, L-Y: Animated bit about adverbs ending in L-Y. I think


: there's a monster involved.

the l-y song and silent e songs are both by tom leher (sp?) who is a very
cool singer... re: poisoning pigeons in the park, the element song etc...
and they can be found on his greatest hits album (i think)... one of my
favorite scenes from each... "he turned a man, alakazam into a mane, but
my friend sam stayed just the same", and "you're walking into a room,
when out of the deep dark gloom, comes dracula, now how do you say
good-bye, immediately, immediately, immediate.. l-y, bye-bye"

: IT'S THE PLUMBER, I'VE COME TO FIX THE SINK: An animated bit about a


: plumber who knocks on the door, to which a pet parrot replies, "Who is
: it?" over and over, resulting in the plumber keeling over. The end is
: someone asking the parrot, "Who is it?" and he replies, "It's the
: plumber, he's come to fix the sink."

this is a classic... :)

am :)

--
&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
Reptilelike, we humans slink close, mired in the mud of our animal nature
and the muck of our cultural prejudices. Yet, like birds, we are also of
the spirit, capable of soaring in the heavens, transcending our
narrowmindedness and sinful proclivities. Our task is to come to terms
with our dragonhood.
M. Scott Peck - The Different Drum
&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

David Horowitz

unread,
Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96
to


The Electic Company Logo

http://mars.superlink.net/~davechad

Soon You Will see More Pictures and More Info.

As soon as i get More info.....

David

Jennifer Mary Brown

unread,
Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96
to

(semi)Full lyrics (perhaps in garbled order) to the marvelous "-ly"
song:
When you enter the library
And yu fall and hurt your knee,
But the sign says "Quiet please!"
Well how do you cry?
Silently, silently, silent -- ly.

When a porcupine's at hand
And he wants to shake your hand
How do you say hi? (hmm, this verse is missing something.)
Carefully, carefully, careful -- ly.

When you enter a very dark room,
And sitting there in the gloom
Is DRACULA --
How do you say goodbye?
Immediately, immediately, immediate -- ly!

Bye-bye!

Jennifer

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages