Sesame Street Stores closing?

Sally Garnaat

Jul 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/17/96

Richard J. Concepcion wrote:

> Recently the Sesame Street General Store at Garden State Plaza in
> Paramus NJ had closed. Then just today I heard from a friend
> that the one at Bridgewater Commons Mall NJ also closed.
>
> Is it just these stores. or is the whole chain going out of
> business?
>
> Coincidentally enough, while the SSt.GS at GSP just closed, at
> that same mall they began looking to hire salespeople for a new
> Store of Knowledge retail outlet there. This is a chain store
> that will sell PBS-related merchandise.
>
> --
> Richard Concepcion. Watch my TV show,"Rapid T. Rabbit and Friends",
> Mondays 5pm on MNN Channel 16, Time Warner Cable of NYC
> Manhattan...http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Rapid_T_Rabbit

While on vacation I had on my Kermit Unpigged T-shirt and got into a nice
conversation with 2 waitresses about Sesame Street stores closing. I was
able to let them know it wasn't just in LA that the stores were closing.
They didn't understand why the stores were closing, they said there were
always lots of people in the stores (perhaps they weren't buying things?)

John Martin

Jul 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/18/96

Richard J. Concepcion wrote:

> Recently the Sesame Street General Store at Garden State Plaza in
> Paramus NJ had closed. Then just today I heard from a friend
> that the one at Bridgewater Commons Mall NJ also closed.
>
> Is it just these stores. or is the whole chain going out of
> business?

I just noticed this week that the Sesame Street General Store here in
Washington, DC (well, actually in Northern Virginia near Washington)
closed. :(

-->John

Richard J. Concepcion

Peter McKay

Jul 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/19/96

A few days before the Sesame Street Store here in Portland, Oregon closed,
I asked one of the managers why they were closing. She told me that they
had lost their major sponsor. I don't know who that was, but that is what
she told me. I was really sorry to see it go, I guess I always thought it
would be around, so I didn't buy all I should of. Too late now. : (

Peter

Susan Marshall

Jul 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/19/96
to tbr...@netcom.com

How did you find out they went bankrupt? When I talked with the store
workers at the store in Cleveland, they said no one had told them
anything. They said the big brass had a meeting and that same day they
told them to get ready for closing. As far as I know, no one ever told
them anything. Just curious.

Needless to say, I didn't buy enough before they closed their doors.

Richard J. Concepcion

Jul 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/21/96

I just heard from a very reliable source that the reason the chain
of Sesame Street General Stores have closed all over the country was
due to bad management. They have actually been making money but
instead of paying their investors, they plowed the money back into
rapid expansion by opening more and more new stores. When one of
the major investors pulled out because of that, the retail operation
collapsed. Too bad, they had neat stuff!

RC.."Big Bird's Biggest Fan"

Margot Anne-Stephanie Vigeant

Jul 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/22/96

Peter McKay wrote:

> A few days before the Sesame Street Store here in Portland, Oregon closed,
> I asked one of the managers why they were closing. She told me that they
> had lost their major sponsor. I don't know who that was, but that is what
> she told me.

The letter M, perhaps?

>I was really sorry to see it go, I guess I always thought it
> would be around, so I didn't buy all I should of. Too late now. : (
>
> Peter

Was that almost Ross-worthy????

Margot, ever hopeful

Ross Garmil

Jul 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/24/96

Margot Anne-Stephanie Vigeant (ma...@virginia.edu) wrote:

: The letter M, perhaps?

: Was that almost Ross-worthy????

: Margot, ever hopeful

Um...the concept that there could be a level that is "Ross-worthy" makes me
somewhat uncomfortable, but it was brilliantly funny.

Much better than anything I could've come up with.

Bravo, Margot.

Ross

Jeanne Marie Mirabella

Jul 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/26/96

When the store near me closed, I asked the people working there if it
was "chain wide" or just location...

She told me that Sesame Street Stores everywhere are closing...

You can find PLENTY of SS merchandise, however, at Sesame Place
(discussed elsewhere in this ng under another thread)

So, if there were any in the Netherlands, I guess they'd be closing too...

Jeanne

"M@rtin" <zlim...@dds.nl> writes:

>> A few days before the Sesame Street Store here in Portland, Oregon closed.

>I would really like to know, where those Sesame Street Stores can be
>found. For as far I know, there are non in the Netherlands. Or are there?
>Help me out!

>M@rtin
>zlim...@dds.nl

M@rtin

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96
to Ross Garmil

Phyllis Schwartz

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

They closed due to bankruptcy......or along those lines.