Were we mentioned on Seinfeld. READ THIS!!!!!!!

Steve Rotter

Feb 22, 1993, 5:00:20 PM2/22/93
I remember several weeks back when people on the newsgroup were curious as to
whether or not the people from Seinfeld read this newsgroup. We hoped that if
they did did indeed this newsgroup that they would mention it on the show.
Someone actually thought of a way for Seinfeld to do it. This person
mentioned that Jerry and Kramer could have a disagreement and that Kramer
would prove his point by saying he heard it from a computer bulletin board.

In the 2/18 episode, when Kramer enters Jerry's apartment and says that the
volunteer work is nothing but a scam, Kramer tells Jerry that he knows it to
be true because he read it in the 'alternative media'. Could this alternative
media be this newsgroup? I say yes it is.

What do you think?

Joerg 'SPROCKETS' Grau

Feb 22, 1993, 7:42:53 PM2/22/93

I think if they tried to mention us they would have been more obvious.
And on your part I think it is wishfull thinking. Not that there's
anything wrong with that!!!!

Joerg 'SPROCKETS' Grau | gr...@castor.cs.uga.edu

"And I never buy umbrellas, cause there's always one around"

tom waits

J. Theodore Schuerzinger

Feb 22, 1993, 10:31:33 PM2/22/93
In article
<Steve=Rotter%Staff%UIUC=CMC.151....@bigbird.will.uiuc.edu>
Steve=Rotter%Staff%UIUC=C...@bigbird.will.uiuc.edu (Steve Rotter)
writes:

> In the 2/18 episode, when Kramer enters Jerry's apartment and says that the
> volunteer work is nothing but a scam, Kramer tells Jerry that he knows it to
> be true because he read it in the 'alternative media'. Could this alternative
> media be this newsgroup? I say yes it is.

Maybe they read John DiNardo's crap on soc.culture.usa. :-)

--Ted Schuerzinger
email: J.Theodore....@Dartmouth.EDU
Magritte: "Ceci n'est pas une '.sig'."

David Steinman

Feb 22, 1993, 10:43:20 PM2/22/93
Steve=Rotter%Staff%UIUC=C...@bigbird.will.uiuc.edu (Steve Rotter) writes:

>In the 2/18 episode, when Kramer enters Jerry's apartment and says that the
>volunteer work is nothing but a scam, Kramer tells Jerry that he knows it to
>be true because he read it in the 'alternative media'. Could this alternative
>media be this newsgroup? I say yes it is.

I say no. To me, "alternative media" connotes small, undergroundish
newspapers, usually with a decidedly leftist bent. Perhaps something
like "The Village Voice".
--
Dave!

James J. Dibenedetto

Feb 22, 1993, 11:16:53 PM2/22/93

In a previous article, Steve=Rotter%Staff%UIUC=C...@bigbird.will.uiuc.edu (Steve Rotter) says:

>In the 2/18 episode, when Kramer enters Jerry's apartment and says that the
>volunteer work is nothing but a scam, Kramer tells Jerry that he knows it to
>be true because he read it in the 'alternative media'. Could this alternative
>media be this newsgroup? I say yes it is.
>
>What do you think?

No, no, no! If Kramer's reading the net, it's got to be alt.conspiracy!
And George would post - anonymously, of course - to alt.sex.wanted. ANd
alt.personals, too, probably...

--
James John DIBenedetto (jj...@po.cwru.edu; j...@ubunix.buffalo.edu)
Case Western Reserve University (Western Reserve College) '91

Elizabeth G. Levy

Feb 23, 1993, 10:56:11 AM2/23/93
In article <Steve=Rotter%Staff%UIUC=CMC.151....@bigbird.will.uiuc.edu> Steve=Rotter%Staff%UIUC=C...@bigbird.will.uiuc.edu (Steve Rotter) writes:

>In the 2/18 episode, when Kramer enters Jerry's apartment and says that the
>volunteer work is nothing but a scam, Kramer tells Jerry that he knows it to
>be true because he read it in the 'alternative media'. Could this alternative
>media be this newsgroup? I say yes it is.
>
>What do you think?

Unlikely: alternative media tends to mean small circulation magazines
and the like. Something like _Utne Reader_ is a compilation of
various alternative-media publications (including such fun things like
Z Magazine, Lies of Our Times, and various green journals. Harper's
appears in there on occasion, though it's an "affluent liberal"
magazine more than anything else).

FRIENDSHIP FOR ACCOUNTANTS: Q: "Will you do me a favor?"
A: "Although you did me several favors in the past, they've depreciated
down to nothing. I can, however, advance you a small mini-favor on
credit at prime + 2% on the condition that you reciprocate within a year."

KE...@psuvm.psu.edu

Feb 24, 1993, 8:28:14 AM2/24/93
I read some alternative media as you describe it and the last thing they would
ever discuss is old farts....let alone volunteering:-) I think big brother is
watching (and reading)

Steve Rotter

Feb 24, 1993, 2:56:16 PM2/24/93

>I read some alternative media as you describe it and the last thing they would
>ever discuss is old farts....let alone volunteering:-) I think big brother is
>watching (and reading)

Yes! I finally got someone agreeing with me. I think.

For all you people who are skeptical you must have faith. You are making
the Gods angry. I only hope that the Seinfeld Gods don't smite us down for
your irreverence.

Greg Clow

Feb 24, 1993, 4:31:00 PM2/24/93
Steve=Rotter%Staff%UIUC=C...@bigbird.will.uiuc.edu (Steve Rotter) writes:

>I remember several weeks back when people on the newsgroup were curious

>about whether or not the people from Seinfeld read this newsgroup. We
>hoped if they did did indeed this newsgroup that they would mention it on

>the show. Someone actually thought of a way for Seinfeld to do it. This
>person mentioned that Jerry and Kramer could have a disagreement and that
>Kramer would prove his point by saying he heard it from a computer
>bulletin board.
>
>In the 2/18 episode, when Kramer enters Jerry's apartment and says that

>volunteer work is nothing but a scam, Kramer tells Jerry that he knows it
>to be true because he read it in the 'alternative media'. Could this
>alternative media be this newsgroup? I say yes it is.

Hmmm. Interesting, but I don't think so. I think Kramer was referring to
an "alternative" newspaper of the type that the Village Voice is the most
well known. You know... they're usually published by "fringe" types,
generally with political viewpoints that are quite left-of-centre, etc.
Every major city has at least one of 'em (NYC has the aforementioned
Voice and others, Toronto has NOW Magazine and Eye Weekly, etc.).

Greg

--- WinQwk 2.0 B2 #0

Jeffrey Nicholas

Feb 25, 1993, 9:11:00 AM2/25/93

I say no way. If they wanted to pay lip service to this group, why would they
make reference to alternative media in conjunction with whether or not volunteergroups are scams? Maybe the group alt.volunteer.bunko has asked for seinfeld
recognition too. If they wanted to recognize this group, don't you think they
would have come up with something relevant? For example, Jerry could have
asked 'Do you think anyone else thinks we're gay (not that there's anything
wrong with it)"? Then Kramer could have piped in that he knows it to be true
because he read it in the alternative media.

Steve Rotter

Mar 1, 1993, 2:52:25 PM3/1/93
In article <C30Cq...@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> nich...@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Jeffrey Nicholas) writes:
>Newsgroups: alt.tv.seinfeld
>From: nich...@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Jeffrey Nicholas)
>Subject: Re: Were we mentioned on Seinfeld. READ THIS!!!!!!!
>Sender: ne...@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (USENET News)
>Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1993 14:11:00 GMT

Why is the gay question any more relevant than the volunteer group?
Probably the only way to convince you is having Kramer say to Jerry, 'hey, I
was reading this note form Jeffrey Nicholas from my computer noteboard and
they were discussing this show.' Would that be relevant enough for you?

Steve.

Don Kirkby

Mar 1, 1993, 6:22:04 PM3/1/93
In article <Steve=Rotter%Staff%UIUC=CMC.168....@bigbird.will.uiuc.edu> Steve=Rotter%Staff%UIUC=C...@bigbird.will.uiuc.edu (Steve Rotter) writes:
[quoted speculation about whether any of the writers know about or even read
this newsgroup deleted]

>Probably the only way to convince you is having Kramer say to Jerry, 'hey, I
>was reading this note form Jeffrey Nicholas from my computer noteboard and
>they were discussing this show.' Would that be relevant enough for you?
>
>Steve.

I know how they can put in an unambiguous reference to us within the
context of the show. Eventually Jerry and George get their show on NBC
and it is successful. Then one day Jerry is screwing around on his Mac
and says, "Hey George, look what I found on this BBS!"

Think of all the fun they could have with the "Computer Geek (tm)"
stereotype. George could get really irate at all the bashing of the
George character.

P.S. I promise not to sue if the writers use my idea. As if I could if
I wanted to.

Denise ABU Lockner

Mar 1, 1993, 5:41:00 PM3/1/93
In article <Steve=Rotter%Staff%UIUC=CMC.168....@bigbird.will.uiuc.edu> Steve=Rotter%Staff%UIUC=C...@bigbird.will.uiuc.edu (Steve Rotter) writes:
>In article <C30Cq...@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> nich...@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Jeffrey Nicholas) writes:

>>>I remember several weeks back when people on the newsgroup were curious as to
>>>whether or not the people from Seinfeld read this newsgroup. We hoped that if
>>>they did did indeed this newsgroup that they would mention it on the show.
>>>

>>>In the 2/18 episode, when Kramer enters Jerry's apartment and says that the
>>>volunteer work is nothing but a scam, Kramer tells Jerry that he knows it to
>>>be true because he read it in the 'alternative media'. Could this alternative
>>>media be this newsgroup? I say yes it is.
>>>
>>>What do you think?

THE ANSWER IS OFFICIALLY "NO."

I work in a comedy club in Seattle and this past week our headliner
was Joey Guittierez (sp??), the comic who helps to write Jerry's
opening monologue almost every show. He and Jerry collaborate on
many facets of the show. I pulled him aside last night and asked him
if Kramer had made a reference to this newsgroup on that particular
episode. He said absolutely not, he was only vaguely aware that systems
like the net exist. He did agree with me, however, that "The Bet" was
the best episode ever. :)

-Denise
*********
"If you can't say something nice...don't say nothin' at all." -THUMPER

Jeffrey Norman

Mar 2, 1993, 3:33:22 PM3/2/93

Or maybe they should have Kramer or George use Jerry's Mac in the corner
to check the alt.personals newsgroup or something to find dates,
and George will end up with a girl who is actually a guy (or could have
had a sex change) and Kramer would find a supermodel or somethin'.
How does that sound?

P.S. Same here, I promise not to get into that lawsuit mumbo jumbo if
this is even used, I'd just be glad seeing that Mac actually working.

--Jeff
Jeff Norman - Internet: UNIX: umno...@ccu.umanitoba.ca
"I'm not a procrastinator, I'm just busy."

Robert Cianchette

Mar 5, 1993, 9:23:53 AM3/5/93
Hey, am I the only one who thinks that the level of infatuation here is
getting a little out of hand. I mean, I LOVE Seinfeld, and I think it is
far, far above most of the network sitcom trash that has been churned out
over the years. However, who really gives a hoot whether or not JS reads
this newsgroup? Do you somehow believe that if he did it would make you part
of him, and him part of you? Do you think it makes you famous? Do you think
it makes you a Hollywood TV script writer? Don't you have a life of your
own? Don't you know who you are? Don't you realize that the show makes fun
of pretentious, fawning, clueless sheep like you every week?

I'm writing this with a smile on my face. I'm sure nobody out there is what
I've described above, and that many of the posts on this topic are made in
the spirit of good fun. But for those who don't see the irony and humor in
this, I suggest you get professional help. :-)

Robert (I love the show, but I draw the line at licking Kramer's boots!)

--
Robert Cianchette, Davidge Data Systems Corp., NYC | r...@davidge.com
The information, questions, and opinions contained in this message

Joerg 'SPROCKETS' Grau

Mar 7, 1993, 1:16:47 PM3/7/93
In article <1993Mar5.1...@davidge.com>, r...@davidge.com (Robert Cianchette) writes:
|> Hey, am I the only one who thinks that the level of infatuation here is
|> getting a little out of hand. [...]

|> it makes you a Hollywood TV script writer? Don't you have a life of your
|> own? [...] ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^
If we did, we wouldn't be reading and posting to this newsgroup!!!

Joerg 'SPROCKETS' Grau | gr...@castor.cs.uga.edu

"Wickedness is a myth invented by good people to account
for the strange attractiveness of others"

(Phrases and Philosophies for the Use of the Young by oscar wilde)

Tyler Green

Aug 7, 2022, 4:31:30 PM8/7/22
Hello from the future!

SHUTDOWN Official