Seinfeld is a prick

New User

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

He cancelled the show without telling the other 3 leads.
He cancelled just when they signed a new big money contract.

He's an arrrogant, self-centered, egotistcal, 17 year-old-dating bastard.
He's an asshole when he's on Howard Stern. He acts like he's the KING OF
COMEDY. Like he's Chevy Chase.
He's a dickhead when he's on Letterman. He thinks that by just showing up,
he's doing everybody a favor.

I'm glad he was upstaged by John Kennedy on Leno. Pretty good move on
Leno's part. Kennedy was a lot more entertaining than Seinfeld. Seinfeld
probably thought the groupies on the Leno soundstage were there for him.
What a joke. He looks like a horsehead. Shoshanna wanted his money.

Any comedian can replace him and the show would still be funny. i.e. Garry
Shandling, Jon Stewart, Paul Provenza, Jon Lovitz, Phil Hartman, Pee-Wee
Herman...

Heinlein

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98
Hey, tell us what you really think.

Amit

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

It's just too bad you're not the one making millions of dollars for doing
nothing, isn't it?

Raingluttn

May 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/24/98

Any comedian can replace him and the show would still be funny.

I've wondered about this. I wish the show had gone on with out Jerry because
he was my least favorite character.

But wasn't Jerry an essential part of the writing too?
And the conceptions?

I dont know Jerry at all or much about him, but I have to admit I've wondered
if he was somehow taken with fame and didn't realize that he needed the others
and that this kind of chemistry between actors combined with writing just
doesnt come along often. I wonder if he realized how extraordinary the show
was. I also have wondered if he minded sharing the limelight.
But as I say, I know nothing about who Jerry Seinfeld really is.
cc

Stevebee

May 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/24/98

I believe I have an answer to your question. One of the differences
between the Seinfeld show and many other shows that centered around a
comedian or a well-known actor, is that the central figure usually
insists that all the action, lines, and laughs come from him/her. Consider
SYBIL. The first season it wasn't bad because Sybil's sidekick Marianne
got a lot of lines. Then Marianne (actually the actress who played her)
won an award. The next season it was obvious that her part had been pared
back a great deal. And that Sybil Sheppard got all the attention.

Jerry Seinfeld, on the other hand, seems to be aware that he is NOT an
actor. A lot of the episodes are written with the supporting cast getting
most of the action and lines, and Jerry just standing back and reacting. A
real team player. He reminds me of the basketball player whose main skill
is handing off the ball to the one who will score. That takes an
exceptional person. He surrounded himself with talent and didn't get in
their way.

stevebee

Raingluttn

May 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/25/98

Steve:
.>He reminds me of the basketball player whose main skill

is handing off the ball to the one who will score. That takes an
exceptional person. He surrounded himself with talent and didn't get in
their way.

I prefer this image of Jerry to the one I suggested.
I'm glad to hear this take on him.

Talk1370

May 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/26/98

>that this kind of chemistry between actors combined with
>writing just doesnt come along often. I wonder if he real-

>ized how extraordinary the show was.

He sure did...and said that was why he wrapped it before
it became a shadow or parody of itself. He had too much
respect for his audience.

>I also have wondered if he minded sharing the limelight.

Obviously not...or he wouldn't have done it so generously.
No other recent show built around a standup (think Grace
Under Fire, Home Improvement, Roseanne) was so much an
ensemble piece and so deliberately an ensemble piece. It
resembled in that respect (and in its basic format) some of the
classics of the 1950s like the Jack Benny show or Burns &
Allen...which Jerry has talked about seeing in reruns as he
was growing up. The guy is an artist and writer first, with
ego clearly a distant second. He couldn't have done the show
he did if he'd been otherwise.
Bob Smith, afternoons WXXI-AM 1370, Rochester NY

Andrea B

May 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/26/98

In article <199805261407...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,
talk...@aol.com (Talk1370) wrote:

I recently saw the A&E Biography of Jerry Seinfeld and a lot of people
were talking about Jerry's willingness to have so many of the funny lines
going to the other cast members. Jason Alexander said that it was
absolutely unheard of that a comedian going into a sitcom as the star who
didn't demand that all the funny stuff coming from him. Jerry gave it all
away and he got so much back in return. In that same A&E show his sister
recounted how Jerry as a little boy would do interviews with his family
parrot. I guess from a small child he was practicing to be the
straightman. One more thing I wanted to say that so much was Jerry part
of a team effort that I didn't even realize most of the time that he was
the star of the show until the last scene of the finale, where he was
doing some standup for his fellow prisoners. It was like I suddenly
realized that he was the star - that it was his show.

--
ben...@aol.com

SloGait

May 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/27/98

On Tue, 26 May 1998 13:50:38 -0500, Ben...@aol.com (Andrea B) wrote:

>going to the other cast members. Jason Alexander said that it was
>absolutely unheard of that a comedian going into a sitcom as the star who
>didn't demand that all the funny stuff coming from him. Jerry gave it all
>away and he got so much back in return.

Actually, his shtick reminds me of Johnny Carson and Jack Benny. Both
of them surrounded themselves with people who were crazier and then
got laughs by playing off that (you might include George Burns, too).
So its another concept of comedy, and one that worked well. Jerry
could do a lot with looking horrified at what is happening to people
around him. He was George and they were Gracie.

LMurray323

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

But, he's laughing "all the way to the bank", and he knows he's more successful
than 95% of the U.S. population.

Larry

L.Murray and M.Murray
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania