Six Gun Justice

Joseph f Thoms

Mar 8, 2001, 2:18:15 PM3/8/01
How many chapters were there of the serial? And is my memory correct and
does Happy Marsden reveal that Cheaplaffs Johnson is his father? I had
forgotten how good John Hemphill was as the alcoholic Happy.

George Hiebert

Mar 8, 2001, 8:31:45 PM3/8/01

Joseph f Thoms <JFT...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

> How many chapters were there of the serial? And is my memory correct and
> does Happy Marsden reveal that Cheaplaffs Johnson is his father? I had
> forgotten how good John Hemphill was as the alcoholic Happy.

Not sure how many chapters but yeah I do remember the revelation about
Cheaplaffs being his father.

Jim Powers

Mar 8, 2001, 10:59:30 PM3/8/01
Nice in-joke for Canadian viewers--hero Don Mills named after a
neighborhood in Toronto.

Treeclimbr

Mar 9, 2001, 3:49:32 AM3/9/01
What else has John Hemphill done
outside of SCTV?
___________________
Robert Pearson
Creative Virtue: http://www.eskimo.com/~telical/
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net/
R.S. Pearson Music Page http://users.50megs.com/rspearson/

Wanda Sherratt

Mar 9, 2001, 9:01:23 AM3/9/01
No, no, I think it was *Blackie* who was Happy's father. "Six Gun
Justice" really grew on me; at first I thought it was a bit dumb, but
the more I saw it the more I enjoyed it. Even today, we still repeat
lines from it: "Real juggernaut-like" is a favourite, as well as
Blackie's "Boss, how come you don't use no adverbs?"

Wanda

Diggity Dawg

Mar 9, 2001, 12:16:43 PM3/9/01
I might be wrong, Alex - and if I am, I'll eat a bug...If I remember
right, in the final "Happy Hour" it was revealed that the guy who played
Blackie on "SGJ" was Happy's Dad - not the guy who played Cheap Laffs.
Maybe we'll find out soon who's right.

MY VIDEO TRADING WEBSITE:
http://community.webtv.net/kcscottyp/KISSAUDIOVIDEO

MY BULLETIN BOARD:
http://members2.boardhost.com/DAWGHOUSE/

Douglas North

Mar 9, 2001, 2:21:29 PM3/9/01
I don't know anything about how many chapters there were (I'm just
getting back into SCTV, haven't seen it since Nick at Night used to show
them!!!), but I agree with you about John Hemphill. People seem to
forget about him and Mary Charlotte Wilcox, but from watching these
later episodes I see that they are both very talented. Happy Marsden?
Pauline Kael? Hilarious!! Sure, they don't replace Catherine O'Hara,
Dave Thomas, and John Candy, but in my book they're both pretty damn
funny.

Wanda Sherratt

Mar 9, 2001, 4:45:27 PM3/9/01
I loved John Hemphill as the doctor in "Medical Minute" who could never
get the timing right for his little one-minute talks. First they were
way too long, and he'd have to kill time for about 15 seconds, then he
slowed things waaaaay down and had to cram everything into the last 5
seconds!

Wanda

hho...@hotmail.com

Mar 9, 2001, 6:02:08 PM3/9/01
YES! I absolutely agree. He's hilarious as he goes from this smiling,
amiable, rather insipid guy to an outraged lunatic in a nanosecond. "Oh, now,
that's RIDICULOUS!! I KNOW it was EXACTLY one minute long, I TIMED it OVER
and OVER!!!"

Did Hemphill ever do anything else that anyone knows about? And where did he
come from, anyway...the Second City stage show?

-L.H.

George Hiebert

Mar 9, 2001, 10:20:10 PM3/9/01

Wanda Sherratt <sher...@mediaone.net> wrote in message

> No, no, I think it was *Blackie* who was Happy's father. "Six Gun
> Justice" really grew on me; at first I thought it was a bit dumb, but
> the more I saw it the more I enjoyed it. Even today, we still repeat
> lines from it: "Real juggernaut-like" is a favourite, as well as
> Blackie's "Boss, how come you don't use no adverbs?"

Yeah you're right. After I posted that I did remember that it was actually
Blackie.
Thanks

George Hiebert

Mar 9, 2001, 10:25:52 PM3/9/01

<hho...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3AA960EF...@hotmail.com...

> YES! I absolutely agree. He's hilarious as he goes from this smiling,
> amiable, rather insipid guy to an outraged lunatic in a nanosecond. "Oh,
now,
> that's RIDICULOUS!! I KNOW it was EXACTLY one minute long, I TIMED it
OVER
> and OVER!!!"
>
> Did Hemphill ever do anything else that anyone knows about? And where did
he
> come from, anyway...the Second City stage show?

He was Harry the Fly on Maniac Mansion.

W. Lee & T. Beatty

Mar 10, 2001, 5:12:14 PM3/10/01

<hho...@hotmail.com> wrote > Did Hemphill ever do anything else that anyone

knows about? And where did he
> come from, anyway...the Second City stage show?
--------------------------------------
Friends of mine saw him at the Toronto Second City (years ago) and said he
was very good.

Terry

JHedegor

Mar 12, 2001, 3:05:50 AM3/12/01

>Did Hemphill ever do anything else that anyone knows about? And where did he
>come from, anyway...the Second City stage show?
>
>-L.H.

Yes, John Hemphill was a member of the Toronto Second City. He participated in
the Toronto Second City 15th Anniversary show in 1988, in a sketch with fellow
members Don Lake, Linda Kash, Bruce Pirrie and Joe Flaherty. (Interestingly,
all four also appeared, with Andrea Martin, on ABC's SCTV special, also in
1988). Hemphill was also the director of the ill-fated Santa Monica Second City
(1989-1990), which featured, among many others, Robin Duke and Ryan Stiles.

Hemphill played Uncle Harry, turned into a half-man, half-fly (as well as his
"normal" twin brother Lenny, who constantly exclaimed "Good on ya!"), on
"Maniac Mansion" with Joe Flaherty. Hemphill also wrote many episodes of that
show.

You can also see him in many SCTV-related projects like the TV-movies
"Sodbusters" and "Hostage for a Day (in a very amusing role as an inept SWAT
team commander)."

Unfortunately, I am not sure of his current whereabouts, but I believe he has
appeared on stage in Toronto in recent years.

John Hedegor (not John Hemphill!)

hho...@hotmail.com

Mar 12, 2001, 6:04:13 AM3/12/01
Wow! Tons of info! Thanks, John!

-L.H.

Wanda Sherratt

Mar 12, 2001, 3:53:17 PM3/12/01
This may sound stupid, but just who was it who played Blackie in Six Gun
Justice? Was it John Candy? Under that beard I couldn't tell, and the
guy didn't seem quite tall enough for Candy, plus I thought he wasn't
with the cast by that point. Sounded like him, though.

Wanda

James Allen Gray

Mar 12, 2001, 6:17:30 PM3/12/01
Hey Wanda, you could have checked the SCTV Guide for that answer.

Blackie was played by writer/producer John McAndrew. Candy had left the
series by then.

Dwight Hodge

Mar 13, 2001, 1:22:15 AM3/13/01

> Hey Wanda, you could have checked the SCTV Guide for that answer.
>
> Blackie was played by writer/producer John McAndrew. Candy had left the
> series by then.

Well, it definitely wasn't Candy, but it wasn't McAndrew either. I don't
know who it was - I've got him down as an extra in the Guide. McAndrew
played the shop owner in one episode I believe.

"You winged me boss, real superficial-like."

--
Dwight Hodge The SCTV Guide: www.magma.ca/~ddhodge/SCTVHOME.HTM

Dwight Hodge

Mar 13, 2001, 1:25:06 AM3/13/01

> Hey Wanda, you could have checked the SCTV Guide for that answer.
>
> Blackie was played by writer/producer John McAndrew. Candy had left the
> series by then.

Well, it definitely wasn't Candy, but it wasn't McAndrew either. I don't

Mibbitmaker

Mar 18, 2001, 1:30:22 AM3/18/01
I never got a chance to see the Cinemax version of SCTV, so seeing that was new
to me. That season was kind of a throwback to the original show without the
behind-the-scenes stuff. I like it either way. My favorite part of the sketch
in question was the way they used the same footage every time they had a fight,
especially when the big sign was there, but not in the reused footage. Also
loved how Eugene Levi was made up like a silent film star, even tho it was the
1940s. Funny how "happy" moved his lips before his dialog. The actor did that
in the Halfwits piece, too.

Treeclimbr

Mar 18, 2001, 1:18:26 PM3/18/01
Ah, I forgot. One of my tops is when
William F. Buckly has a debate with
Meatloaf and his guitar player.

"Hey man, talk to my guitar player, man.
Well see how smart you really are."
"Ok, man, I got one for you. Do you know what Cornis Carnu is, man?"
"Cornis Carnu, I believe that is the bone
of a sheep or an ox..."
"Oh man, he knows what cornus carnu is man. this guy is smart, get me out
of here, man!"

As Buckley rolls and opens his eyes really
wide with his head rolling back on his shoulders.

Wanda Sherratt

Mar 18, 2001, 4:23:59 PM3/18/01
Oh, yes, that finishes with Buckley attributing all his success to
having studied Latin - "Now, if I'd taken shop instead..."leaving us
with a surreal image of what might have been!

I seem to recall another episode with Buckley aggressively interviewing
a sweet little 8 year old boy, and spouting Latin at him until he makes
the poor kid cry!

Wanda

George Hiebert

Mar 18, 2001, 1:21:35 PM3/18/01

Mibbitmaker <mibbi...@aol.com> wrote in message

I like when Don Mills sings The Dusty Trail. How the guitar suddenly pops
into his hands.

Mibbitmaker

Mar 21, 2001, 2:11:58 AM3/21/01
...and the old 191? sounding western song turns, sound quality and all, into a
1940s "modern" wartime boogie-woogie.

Robert Bates

Feb 21, 2021, 5:38:15 PM2/21/21
Cheaplaffs wasn't Happy's father, Blackie was.

Not sure how many "chapters", but it was classic stuff. It was only for the first or second season that SCTV was on Cinemax

Robert Bates

Feb 21, 2021, 5:40:27 PM2/21/21
Blackie: "Boss, you winged me!"
Slade Cantrell: "Don't ever call me on my grammar again. Tojo never calls me on it"
Tojo: "I always thought you talk real cogent-like"

Absolutely top-notch stuff!

Hugh O'Connor

Jun 19, 2021, 7:44:06 PM6/19/21
We desperately need someone with video editing skills to put together as complete a sequence of the episodes of "Six Gun Justice" as possible. it is a brilliant piece of work, and worth preserving and even extending. My impression was that there were many "missing" episodes.