Gus Gustofferson

Justin Pate

Oct 18, 2005, 5:25:50 PM10/18/05
I used to think he was supposedly a nice and "well-adjusted" SCTV
character, but now I think otherwise, considering how quick he is to
use his gun to get attention. Trigger happy little devil.

Lulu

Oct 18, 2005, 9:20:28 PM10/18/05

Then there's his inexplicable lust for Edith Prickley.

-Lulu

Moe Berg

Oct 19, 2005, 1:37:57 PM10/19/05

Whaddya mean "inexplicable"? Edith was a steaming cauldron of
sensuality, a veritable she-leopard of lasciviousness. And Pierre
Trudeau thought she was hot, too!

Syd Reschke

Oct 19, 2005, 3:23:40 PM10/19/05
Especially when she let her hair down in "Gangway For Miracles".

Hey, I wonder if Gus Gustofferson ever listens to Kris Kristofferson...

Lulu

Oct 19, 2005, 3:48:55 PM10/19/05
Moe Berg wrote:

Edith Prickley is the most self-actualized person EVER, and my personal
idol, but a luscious vat of mellifluous sensuosity she is not.

IMO, anyway.

-Lulu

Lola

Oct 19, 2005, 4:14:23 PM10/19/05
It must be her ladylike laughter that you men find so appealing.

Lola

Oct 19, 2005, 4:16:04 PM10/19/05
And how did you reach this conclusion, that Gus was well-adjusted? He
eats sandwiches whilst brandishing a gun. He runs around in his boxer
shorts looking for a missing Johnny La Rue. He turns into a cabbage
creature from Zontar and you can't tell the difference. Well-adjusted?
Not.

Moe Berg

Oct 19, 2005, 4:46:33 PM10/19/05

Well, you have a right to your opinion, but I'd gladly share a steam
bath with Edith's perspiring, pulchritudinous presence any time!

Moe Berg

Oct 19, 2005, 5:09:01 PM10/19/05

Don't you think you're being just a tad picky, Lola? A lot of people
would describe someone like that as salt of the earth.

Lola

Oct 19, 2005, 6:06:47 PM10/19/05
No way. Gus is maladjusted. Woody Tobias, Jr., is salt of the earth.

Moe Berg

Oct 19, 2005, 7:03:27 PM10/19/05

Lola wrote:
> No way. Gus is maladjusted. Woody Tobias, Jr., is salt of the earth.

I suppose you're right. However, I bet Gus' personality traits would
get him elected to Congress in many parts of the country.

And here's another issue for the language monitors. I was taught that
to make a noun that ends in "s" a possessive, you only need an
apostrophe. Some people add an apostrophe and another s. What's the
consensus?

Lola

Oct 19, 2005, 8:24:28 PM10/19/05
I dunno, but I like the White Sox against the Cardinals in 5 games.

thursday@9

Oct 20, 2005, 1:10:23 AM10/20/05
I don't like your chances to see that one this year. However, I do like
the Sox in 4 or 5 over the Astros. That is if the Sox aren't scheduled
to throw the series.

Lola

Oct 20, 2005, 9:22:43 AM10/20/05
Oh, the injustice of it all. I was desperate for a Chicago team to
dismantle the loathe vile and disgusting Cardinals. But no. Back to
being a Cub fan. Baseball is over for the season.

Bill Tuthill

Oct 20, 2005, 12:22:30 PM10/20/05
Lulu <ab...@spamabuse.org> wrote:

> Edith Prickley is the most self-actualized person EVER, and my personal
> idol, but a luscious vat of mellifluous sensuosity she is not.

I still want a tent with leopard-pattern front flaps, like Edith had
for her Tracking the Unknown production. The closest I've seen is the
LL Bean Dome Tent Print, but it's the wrong color.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=40250&sc1=Search&feat=sr

Edith's acting in the role of Queen Elizabeth deserves 3 or 4 Oscars,
one for Edith, one for QE, one for sound effects (the ptah! noise she
makes), and perhaps one for her costume as well, but that would go to
Juul Haalmeyer.

Do you think Ben Hur's sister might be an ancestor of Edith Prickley?

Bill Tuthill

Oct 20, 2005, 12:39:45 PM10/20/05
Moe Berg <moebe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> And here's another issue for the language monitors. I was taught that
> to make a noun that ends in "s" a possessive, you only need an
> apostrophe. Some people add an apostrophe and another s. What's the
> consensus?

The boys's uncles's tent's ripped.
The girls's aunts's ant farms fell into desuetude.
His's and hers's towels help avoid skin infections.

See how clear this is? There aren't enough apostrophes in one of
the above sentences. See if you can figure out which one it is.

"The apostrophe is used in modern English to inform that reader
that an S will follow." --Dave Barry

Lola

Oct 20, 2005, 1:19:28 PM10/20/05
The first sentence has an extra apostrophe. The apostorphe is really
used to show possessive: a thing that belongs to something or someone.
When an s follows a noun or pronoun to indicate multiples of
something, there is no apostrophe. So tents, in the above referenced
sentence, should NOT have an apostrophe.

So at least the first sentence should read: The boy's uncle's tent
ripped. Unless we're talking about several boys and several uncles
with several tents. Then it would read: The boys' uncles' tents
ripped.

I am only masquerading as Paul Morris.

Moe Berg

Oct 20, 2005, 1:46:56 PM10/20/05

The apostrophe s in tents doesn't necessarily have to denote
possession. It could also mean that the tent *is* ripped. It
probably ripped because all those boys and uncles tried to cram
themselves into it at the same time.

Lola

Oct 20, 2005, 1:55:45 PM10/20/05
With Mrs. Prickley, no doubt.

vic arpeggio

Oct 20, 2005, 3:52:13 PM10/20/05

Look at it this way--the vile and disgusting Cardinals cracked from the
fear of having to face a Chicago team in the World Series, even if it
is the wrong Chicago team. Best of all, Tony LaRussa and Jim Edmonds
now have more time to practice their whining and sniveling. Astros in
6.

Vic

quincywagstaff

Oct 20, 2005, 7:13:20 PM10/20/05

Justin is from Texas, where randomly shooting people isn't considered
anti-social. At least not as much as, say, having consensual sex with
them.

vic arpeggio

Oct 20, 2005, 7:30:57 PM10/20/05

To paraphrase the wonderfully wise Mammy in Gone With the Wind: Mr.
Quincy, you is bad!

Vic

TR

Oct 21, 2005, 6:22:30 PM10/21/05
Just this week I was having a discussion about apostrophes. Nearly
every day I see someone pluralize CDs and DVDs as "CD's" or "DVD's." I
always assumed that was wrong until I recently saw a professional web
site use the apostrophes as well. (Can't remember which - it may have
been Amazon.com)

So is "CD's" and "DVD's" the correct way to pluralize these words?

Lola

Oct 21, 2005, 6:32:36 PM10/21/05
No.

Trevor Stenson

Oct 22, 2005, 7:02:42 AM10/22/05
In article <1129828768.9...@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"Lola" <jkb...@cox.net> wrote:

I with you on this one. Although I realize that I'm often sloppy and
lazy when posting. I'm talking about my grammar of course. In general
I'm always sloppy and lazy. Just ask the wife.

My particular specialty is poor usage of quotation marks, superfluous
commas, and other; unnecessary punctuation.

Trev

mic...@rcn.com

Oct 29, 2005, 10:48:57 PM10/29/05
Even if she's not your type...everybody knows that Edith Prickley is a
sexual dynamo.