Rockfish?

SailnIt

Feb 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/12/96
I've recently been able to watch the Rockford Files regularly after
several years of missing it. My girlfriend has become a fan too. I keep
telling her of a recurring character who kept calling him "Rockfish", or
something close to it. If anyone has any information on this actor,
please let me know.

Thanks,

Scott

WMFisher40

Feb 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/13/96
Gandy Finch, played by Isaac Hays if I'm not mistaken, called him that.

- Bill F.

Jeff Kent

Feb 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/13/96

Rockfish was the name given to Rockford by Gandolf Fitch, as played by
Issac Hayes. Try the Rockford Files Homepage for more information.

Gandy was in at least two episodes, both of which were excellent. One of
my all time favorites stared Hayes and Louis Gossett Jr. The interplay
between Hayes and Gossett is very funny and mmoving at the same time.
--
Jeff Kent ar...@lafn.org

Charles Albertson

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
sai...@aol.com (SailnIt) writes:

>I've recently been able to watch the Rockford Files regularly after
>several years of missing it. My girlfriend has become a fan too. I keep
>telling her of a recurring character who kept calling him "Rockfish", or
>something close to it. If anyone has any information on this actor,
>please let me know.

It's Isaac Hayes.

MLB...@centuryinter.net

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
Scott, I think the character you are talking about, is played by Isaac Hayes.
I believe that he was on one, maybe 2 episodes. He & Jim did time in prison
together. One of my favorite scenes is when the guy (I think the characters
name is Gandy),comes to see Rockford, after getting out of prison. He wants Jim
to help him find his womans killer. Jim, of course, is reluctant, & Gandy gets
mad, & crushes a beer can, threatening Jim. Jim looks at him & says:
"Take it easy Gandy - They're made out of aluminum. Now EVERYBODY can be a
hero"

Jeff Tomczak

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96
to sai...@aol.com
I do not know if you got an e-mail from me earlier, but the guy who calls
Rockford "Rockfish" is Isaac Hayes, whose character is Gandolph Fitch, or
"Gandy," on the show. Hayes, a well-known black singer, had a number one
hit in the seventies with his "Theme from 'Shaft'."

geo...@northcoast.com

Feb 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/16/96
yeah...he crushes the beer can on his forehead!
can you dig it! (right on!)

Eldred Hill

Feb 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/16/96
Jeff Tomczak <tomc...@tigger.stcloud.msus.edu> wrote:

>The recurring character who calls Rockford "Rockfish" is Gandolph Fitch,
>otherwise called Gandy by Rockford. The character is played by
>well-known black entertainer Isaac Hayes, who had a number one pop hit in

>the seventies with his "Theme from 'Shaft'."

He was in two episodes I think. The first one was priceless -- one of
my all time favorites.
--EH

James M. Meyers

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
> --EHThere are at minimum three episodes with Gandy. One in which Angel
impersonates a record producer, one in which gandy just gets out of jail,
and one about a musician at a wedding in which Jim's ex-parole officer
teams up with gandy.
Does anyone know why, if Rockford was paroled, he had a parole officer?

James M. Meyers

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96

Sorry about that. I meant If he was pardoned why did he have a parole
officer

take...@delphi.com

Feb 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/19/96
SailnIt <sai...@aol.com> writes:

>I've recently been able to watch the Rockford Files regularly after
>several years of missing it. My girlfriend has become a fan too. I keep
>telling her of a recurring character who kept calling him "Rockfish", or
>something close to it. If anyone has any information on this actor,
>please let me know.

its none other than issac hayes.

David Smith

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96
In article <dthuleen-130...@dthuleen.cts.com>,
dthu...@cts.com says...
sai...@aol.com (SailnIt) wrote:

> > I've recently been able to watch the Rockford Files
regularly after
> > several years of missing it. My girlfriend has become a
fan too. I keep
> > telling her of a recurring character who kept calling
him "Rockfish", or
> > something close to it. If anyone has any information on
this actor,
> > please let me know.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Scott
>
> I'm pretty sure it was Isaac Hayes.
>
> --
> Dave Thuleen
> Escondido, California
> dthu...@cts.com

Isaac Hays played Gandolph or Gandy is correct. He is also
an accomplished blues singer.

Sponges grow in the ocean. That kills me.
How deep do you think it would be if they didn't?
01000100 01000001 01010110 01001001 01000100
__________________ ________________
___ __ \__ |_ | / /___ _/__ __ \
__ / / /_ /| |_ | / / __ / __ / / /
_ /_/ /_ ___ |_ |/ / __/ / _ /_/ /
/_____/ /_/ |_|____/ /___/ /_____/

Michael B. Kassel

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96
In article <4fu8es$f...@earth.superlink.net> Jim Giarrusso <jgr...@mail.superlink.net> writes:
>From: Jim Giarrusso <jgr...@mail.superlink.net>
>Subject: Re: Rockfish?
>Date: 15 Feb 1996 03:14:36 GMT

>Okay, everyone seems to know it's Isaac Hayes. But the big
>question really ought to be, where the heck are they broadcasting
>Rockford Files?!!!

>Jim G.

Unfortunately, nowhere, unless it's on some local station at 2:00 in the
morning. I cannot believe A&E, substituting high quality drama such as Lou
Grant and Rockford for such putrid as Quincy and , yeech, the Equalizer. Of
course, A&E ran Rockford longer than I ever expected, so... But Lou grant was
on too short a run to go so quickly.

Regards, Mike

Charles Albertson

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
"James M. Meyers" <eph...@q.continuum.net> writes:

>> > --EHThere are at minimum three episodes with Gandy. One in which Angel
>> impersonates a record producer, one in which gandy just gets out of jail,
>> and one about a musician at a wedding in which Jim's ex-parole officer
>> teams up with gandy.
>> Does anyone know why, if Rockford was paroled, he had a parole officer?

>Sorry about that. I meant If he was pardoned why did he have a parole
>officer

Because it was a TV pardon.

Eldred Hill

Feb 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/22/96
sai...@aol.com (SailnIt) wrote:

>I've recently been able to watch the Rockford Files regularly after
>several years of missing it. My girlfriend has become a fan too. I keep
>telling her of a recurring character who kept calling him "Rockfish", or
>something close to it. If anyone has any information on this actor,
>please let me know.

The character is Gandolf Finch played by the inimitable original
bad-ass brother Issac Hayes (of Shaft fame). There are two episodes
that I know of that that he is in, but I can't remember the names & my
episode guide is at home. The first one he engages Rockfish to find
his girlfriend after getting out of jail. The second one also
features a black P.I. (who's name escapes me -- but he is in some
other TRF episodes) and they bust up a neo-nazi bar in a funny scene.

Eldred Hill

Feb 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/26/96
"James M. Meyers" <eph...@q.continuum.net> wrote:

>Eldred Hill wrote:
>>
>> Jeff Tomczak <tomc...@tigger.stcloud.msus.edu> wrote:
>>
>> >The recurring character who calls Rockford "Rockfish" is Gandolph Fitch,
>> >otherwise called Gandy by Rockford. The character is played by
>> >well-known black entertainer Isaac Hayes, who had a number one pop hit in
>> >the seventies with his "Theme from 'Shaft'."
>>
>> He was in two episodes I think. The first one was priceless -- one of
>> my all time favorites.

>> --EHThere are at minimum three episodes with Gandy. One in which Angel
>impersonates a record producer, one in which gandy just gets out of jail,
>and one about a musician at a wedding in which Jim's ex-parole officer
>teams up with gandy.
>Does anyone know why, if Rockford was paroled, he had a parole officer?

Can't answer that. If Rockford was *pardoned*, there seems to be no
reason for a parole officer.

You are correct about the Issac Hayes appearances:
1. "The Hammer of C Block" - orig. aired Jan. 9, 1976
This is the first where Gandy gets Jim to find the real killer of
the murder he (Gandy) was jailed for.

2. "Just Another Polish Wedding" - orig. aired Feb. 18, 1977
This is the one I alluded to with the neo-nazis, Jim's former
parole officer (Marcus "Gabby" Hayes played by Louis Gossett, Jr.)
becomes a P.I.

3. "Second Chance" - orig. aired Oct. 14, 1977
Where Gandy is looking for the girlfriend (Theda) who is a
nightclub singer (she is played by Dionne Warwick).

They should bring him back in one of these TV movies.
--EH

Willwander

Feb 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/26/96
Unfortunatly, Isaac Hayes was injured in a freak onstage accident at a
concert where lights improperly secured fell from the grid and hit him
putting him in a wheelchair. I don't know how much movement he has, or
how photogenic he is anymore.

Matthew T. Isom

Feb 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/27/96
to Willwander

You're talking about CURTIS MAYFIELD, not Isaac Hayes, who released 2
albums last year. Two entirely different artists.

You most likely confused them because Hayes recorded the "theme from
Shaft" and Curtis did the soundtrack for "Supeerfly." Not that these
movies have any more in common than the artists: i.e. NOTHING IN
COMMON besides being black.

Also: The "Gandy" ep with Dionne Warwick was a two-part episode.

Brian R. Hunt

Feb 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/28/96
willw...@aol.com (Willwander) writes:
>Unfortunatly, Isaac Hayes was injured in a freak onstage accident at a
>concert where lights improperly secured fell from the grid and hit him
>putting him in a wheelchair. I don't know how much movement he has, or
>how photogenic he is anymore.

Actually the unfortunate victim of that accident was Curtis Mayfield,
who did the (highly recommended) soundtrack for Superfly. I presume
that's what made you think instead of Isaac ("Theme from Shaft") Hayes.

--
Brian R. Hunt
bh...@ipst.umd.edu

Jeffrey Rys

Feb 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/29/96
In <4fonrn$g...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> sai...@aol.com (SailnIt) writes:

>I've recently been able to watch the Rockford Files regularly after
>several years of missing it. My girlfriend has become a fan too. I
keep
>telling her of a recurring character who kept calling him "Rockfish",
or
>something close to it. If anyone has any information on this actor,
>please let me know.
>

>Thanks,
>
>Scott

that was Gandy a big black con that everyone feared. rockfish owed
him 3K (or 1500?) in the can. when gandy was paroled he made jim trade
PI time to prove his innocece. HEe did

jeff

bbyra...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2020, 1:14:07 AM3/1/20
It was Isaac Hayes they gave him that name have many episodes the he play in a