I miss you guys... where are you?

Jozxyqk

Nov 29, 2018, 12:45:44 PM11/29/18
Come on everyone. Where are you hiding?

I'm feeling nostalgic for the atvrd/#starbug/#bluemidget days of the 90s, and modern
Red Dwarf discussion seems to be skewed towards teenagers whose first exposure to the
show was RDX. I'm also curious what everyone's been up to.

I posted this the other day on Reddit, hoping to get at least one response, but
I've gotten about as many responses as salads eaten by Lister or astronavigation exams
passed by Rimmer:

https://www.reddit.com/r/RedDwarf/comments/a11glx/meta_where_have_all_the_atvrders_gone/

Are you out there, regulars from '94-'00? CMA? dsn? anyone?
Interested in reconnecting on usenet, irc, reddit, discord, or otherwise?

Love, Josh aka Jozxyqk aka Legion aka (these days) OssianGrr
(egregiously comical 90s .sig full of slashes removed)

Andy Hawkins

Nov 29, 2018, 12:50:07 PM11/29/18

In article <ptp8k7$6tv$1...@dont-email.me>,
Jozxyqk<jfeu...@eecs.tufts.edu> wrote:
> Are you out there, regulars from '94-'00? CMA? dsn? anyone?
> Interested in reconnecting on usenet, irc, reddit, discord, or otherwise?

Not sure you'd call me a regular, but I'm still here.

Quite enjoyed the last series, looking forward to seeing more...

Andy

Albert Sims

Nov 29, 2018, 10:02:13 PM11/29/18
I've been locked in stasis.

--
Albert Sims
West Monroe,Louisiana

Jozxyqk

Nov 29, 2018, 10:11:07 PM11/29/18
Albert Sims <alber...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've been locked in stasis.

Judging by the state of the world right now, you may want to go back in.

Albert Sims

Nov 29, 2018, 10:41:14 PM11/29/18
I agree.

Daniel60

Nov 30, 2018, 12:40:40 AM11/30/18
Ditto! Haven't got the latest DVD yet, but the others get a yearly re-watch!

--
Daniel

Peter Chant

Dec 13, 2018, 5:32:40 PM12/13/18
On 11/29/18 5:45 PM, Jozxyqk wrote:
> Come on everyone. Where are you hiding?
>
> I'm feeling nostalgic for the atvrd/#starbug/#bluemidget days of the 90s, and modern
> Red Dwarf discussion seems to be skewed towards teenagers whose first exposure to the
> show was RDX. I'm also curious what everyone's been up to.

To be fair, I was a teenager when I saw series 1...

Jozxyqk

Dec 14, 2018, 6:51:47 PM12/14/18
So was I, mate. So was I.
But it is definitely a different perspective when you first see Series X, XI, or XII without
20+ years of baggage and overanalysis behind you.

SmUX

Feb 26, 2023, 3:36:36 PM2/26/23
On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 5:45:44 PM UTC, Jozxyqk wrote:
> Come on everyone. Where are you hiding?

I grew up...Just kidding! For a better answer, see the sig.

--
"They're dead, Dave...everybody is dead!"

Adam Williamson

Apr 21, 2023, 2:04:07 PM4/21/23
On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 12:36:36 -0800 (PST), SmUX wrote:

> On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 5:45:44 PM UTC, Jozxyqk wrote:
>> Come on everyone. Where are you hiding?
>
> I grew up...Just kidding! For a better answer, see the sig.

I don't remember if we ever overlapped, but I just set up an NNTP account
for ridiculous reasons, so...hi! I was probably, uh, ad...@scss.demon.co.uk
or some such back in ye olde times? I was around in the 90s, with Friday
and that crew. Still remember doing a physical meetup at an arcade in
Tamworth (for some reason).

I moved to Canada! I still have a full set of Red Dwarf DVDs on my shelves
(up to series 8, of course, I have heard...terrible rumors of things that
happened after that...) Every so often I start series 1 again, but never
manage to keep going.

--
adamw

Daniel65

Apr 22, 2023, 6:47:28 AM4/22/23
Adam Williamson wrote on 22/4/23 4:04 am:
> On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 12:36:36 -0800 (PST), SmUX wrote:
>> On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 5:45:44 PM UTC, Jozxyqk wrote:
>>> Come on everyone. Where are you hiding?
>>
>> I grew up...Just kidding! For a better answer, see the sig.
>
> I don't remember if we ever overlapped, but I just set up an NNTP
> account for ridiculous reasons, so...hi! I was probably, uh,
> ad...@scss.demon.co.uk or some such back in ye olde times? I was
> around in the 90s, with Friday and that crew. Still remember doing a
> physical meetup at an arcade in Tamworth (for some reason).

I'm guessing that's NOT Tamworth, Australia!!

> I moved to Canada! I still have a full set of Red Dwarf DVDs on my
> shelves (up to series 8, of course, I have heard...terrible rumors of
> things that happened after that...) Every so often I start series 1
> again, but never manage to keep going.

I've got up to Series 11 or something .... I mean we had to have
something/anything even half decent to watch during CoViD-19 look-downs
in Victoria, Australia!! I don't think we were the most locked-down ....
but we were close!!
--
Daniel

Adam Williamson

Apr 25, 2023, 11:51:41 AM4/25/23
No, Tamworth near Birmingham (UK) :P For some reason I have distinct
memories of it having either Daytona USA or Sega Rally, hah. Can't
remember anything much else about it...
--
adamw

Friday

Aug 31, 2023, 8:24:30 AM8/31/23
On 25/04/2023 16:51, Adam Williamson wrote:

> No, Tamworth near Birmingham (UK) :P For some reason I have distinct
> memories of it having either Daytona USA or Sega Rally, hah. Can't
> remember anything much else about it...

Both. I drove you and Emma to the first Tamworth meet (Dec 1995) at Sega
World. You were both at the second one in Jan 1996 as well - Emma took
photos. I gave you a lift to that one too. :D

I guess it's not too surprising you don't remember much about them,
being nearly 30 years ago!

Emma's write-up from Tamworth 1 is still available on the Web (along
with Nick's and mine), as well as her photos from Tamworth 2.

If you know where to look, that is... O_o

Friday not at cobalt.demon.co.uk

Friday

Aug 31, 2023, 8:37:44 AM8/31/23
Ugh! And now I see Thunderbird wraps words as I type them into the
editor, but doesn't *actually* insert line breaks.

I'm such a newb.

Adam Williamson

Aug 31, 2023, 11:44:30 AM8/31/23
Wow, we did it twice? I absolutely did not remember that.

According to the interwebs, it's still there, only it's a Namco Station
now:

https://segaretro.org/Sega_World_Tamworth
https://goo.gl/maps/TPMJTJVgrTWxfwgV6

reunion time? :D When I'm back in the UK, anyway!
--
adamw

Daniel65

Sep 1, 2023, 5:14:23 AM9/1/23
Friday wrote on 31/8/23 10:37 pm:
Why would you want Thunderbird to insert Line Breaks that suit your
screen width??

That could be mucking things up for others who have their
screens/line-breaks set for different character counts. ;-P
--
Daniel

Max Hawkida

Sep 7, 2023, 12:23:26 PM9/7/23
On Thursday, 31 August 2023 at 13:24:30 UTC+1, Friday wrote:

> If you know where to look, that is... O_o

Give us a clue, I'm feeling nostalgic.

Max
(aka Cma)