Is Kryten the fifth Teletubby?

Peter Chant

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

Just a thought, alter all he has got a TV screen on his chest, and it
was used as such in Tikka to Ride.
--
Peter Chant

Ouroboros*

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

Peter Chant <pe...@inferno.fire> wrote in article
<LPJQlAAg...@inferno.fire>...
: Just a thought, alter all he has got a TV screen on his chest, and it

: was used as such in Tikka to Ride.

He's certainly got the walk. Put him in a colourd suit with thing on
his head and he could audition. Though the TTs don't have Groynal
attachments. From what I've heard they have sex at the start of the
program when they jump at eachover's tummies. That's what I've heard.
Though I think he would mak ea good Noo Noo two. Same Groynal
attachemnt, both robots, and Both work for four strange people.

--
What is Friday's real name?

Chris

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

Friday wrote:

> In article <01bcff61$28367760$142e63c3@default>

> aberco...@lineone.net "Ouroboros*" writes:
>
> > What is Friday's real name?
>
> Pete Friday.

I thought it was Sordoff Friday? ... ;O)

--
Chris Garrett
ch...@cgis.co.uk

Harcon

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

Kryton is not the 5th telly tubby. How do i know this? Because he does
not have a coat-hanger on his head. Also he can speak english. Thus
anyone who cannot speak english and has a coathanger on their heads are
possable Telly Tubby canadates.

Harcon
Time For Tubby WaReZ...Time For Tubby WaReZ...
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Peaks/tubby.html
"*Warning* Do Not Enter Without The Password Or the IRA will Bomb ya"
-La La

Garth

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Peter Chant wrote:

> Just a thought, alter all he has got a TV screen on his chest, and it
> was used as such in Tikka to Ride.

I'd have thought that there closest relative would have been Mr Blobby..
second cousins or sommit..

just my 2pence.

"Garth"
http://www.student.comp.brad.ac.uk/~gward/index.html
"If only everything in life was as reliable as God"

Garth

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Chris wrote:
> Friday wrote:
> > aberco...@lineone.net "Ouroboros*" writes:
> > > What is Friday's real name?
> > Pete Friday.
> I thought it was Sordoff Friday? ... ;O)

I though it was Man Friday.. ;-)

"Garth"
http://www.student.comp.brad.ac.uk/~gward/

The Cat

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

pe...@inferno.fire "Peter Chant" writes:

> Just a thought, alter all he has got a TV screen on his chest, and it
> was used as such in Tikka to Ride.

Could be. Interesting point to ponder.

Speaking of Kryten, who saw Crime Watch last night? One of the
drawings of a suspect looked just like Kryten with a slightly more
rounded head.

--
The Cat in a hat

Rameses Niblick The Third

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997 19:33:52 +0000, Peter Chant <pe...@inferno.fire>
wrote:

>Just a thought, alter all he has got a TV screen on his chest, and it
>was used as such in Tikka to Ride.

>--

The question is, are the teletubbies the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th
Krytens?

Get rid of the two 'at's around the @ symbol to reply. It's an anti-spam defense.

Annette

Dec 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/4/97

In article <34852F...@nospam.demon.co.uk>,
ch...@nospam.demon.co.uk wrote:

> Friday wrote:
> > aberco...@lineone.net "Ouroboros*" writes:
> > > What is Friday's real name?
> > Pete Friday.
>
> I thought it was Sordoff Friday? ... ;O)

According to one of the voters for Hitperson, it's
Thankgodits Friday. Which is pretty darn close to
what the web page itself says. Though if people
would equate more often the two alternatives of
*what* we're actually thanking for Friday, then
I think that going to church might be a whole lot
more interesting. ;-)

Annette.

Amy

Dec 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/4/97

Chris <ch...@nospam.demon.co.uk> said this - now isn't that nice

>Friday wrote:
>>
>> In article <01bcff61$28367760$142e63c3@default>
>> aberco...@lineone.net "Ouroboros*" writes:
>>
>> > What is Friday's real name?
>>
>> Pete Friday.
>
>I thought it was Sordoff Friday? ... ;O)

It might be tomorowis or even Mann

at least he's not called Peter Night!

Amy B
--
m This UFO is automatic, it's systematic, it's hyyyyyydromatic - why
it's greased lightnin

Peter Chant

Dec 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/4/97

In article <881103...@nospam.demon.co.uk>, Friday
<fri...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes

>In article <01bcff61$28367760$142e63c3@default>
> aberco...@lineone.net "Ouroboros*" writes:
>
>> What is Friday's real name?
>
>Pete Friday.

Any relation to Gail Tuesday, page 3 stunner?

--
Peter Chant
I've reinstalled and not got arount to writing a new sig yet.

Peter Chant

Dec 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/4/97

In article <881171...@nospam.demon.co.uk>, The Cat
<C...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
<snip>

>Speaking of Kryten, who saw Crime Watch last night? One of the
>drawings of a suspect looked just like Kryten with a slightly more
>rounded head.

I would imagine Kryten is the only person who's photofit image would
look more lifelike than himself.

--
Peter Chant

Jon Hope

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

On Wed, 03 Dec 1997 23:32:03 GMT, rnt...@at.iol.ie (Rameses Niblick
The Third) scribbled in mind crayon:

>:The question is, are the teletubbies the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th
>:Krytens?

WTF are teletubbies? I am reading all these post about teletubbies not
knowing wtf is going on. Could someone please enlighten me?

Jon

I've seen you dealing in the marketplace buying political regrets
And you've been walking on the water again but your feet never get wet

Jon Hope

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

On Sat, 06 Dec 1997 01:57:06 +0900, mcin...@netlink.com.au (Annette)
scribbled in mind crayon:

>:Jon -- from the little I've unwittingly gathered, I think that we are
>:better off not knowing, for as long as is possible.

But what about the fabulous expression "forewarned is forearmed"? I
don't mean like tennis either :)

Whats more, it can't be worse than that fat purple bastard.

Jon

The ghostman sails among the clouds, turns the rifles into silver, on
the border

Chick

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

Annette wrote in message ...
>> WTF are teletubbies?

>Jon -- from the little I've unwittingly gathered, I think that we are
>better off not knowing, for as long as is possible.

It really depends on your point of view, I personally hate them. I have
found that when you have a gathering of people who are having a great time
and mostly pissed as a fart, the general consensus is that they are the
coolest thing's since .. .... well the last thing that was really cool I
suppose... ... They are similar to the spice girls 6 months ago (both crap)
if you questioned anyone individually they would all say they hated them but
as a group of pissed people, the majority would say they liked them.

Anyway </me tries desperately to steer this thread back to RD> Kryten... ..
.

RD VII Spoilers follow..

Where was I? oh yes, Kryten does have that bonnet style lift up panel with
that support thing on top of his head. It was a good point though that
Kryten came before the, ugh, Telletubbies. I can't believe I'm comparing
Kryten to the Telletubbies, Isn't there a law about this kind of sacrilege?

--
rp...@clara.net
Chick (But don't forget the hamster is a vicious beast if provoked!)

The Cat

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

In article <3488fa48...@news.uwa.edu.au>
jeh...@chem.uwa.edu.au "Jon Hope" writes:

> On Wed, 03 Dec 1997 23:32:03 GMT, rnt...@at.iol.ie (Rameses Niblick
> The Third) scribbled in mind crayon:
>
> >:The question is, are the teletubbies the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th
> >:Krytens?
>
> WTF are teletubbies? I am reading all these post about teletubbies not
> knowing wtf is going on. Could someone please enlighten me?

It's a kids show in the UK. It features four fat creatures
who speak rudementary English and live in a field. It contains
images which have caused it to be accused of being linked to LSD.

It's fine for the likes of you or I, but seeing as there are
very few educational programs for children of that age group
on UK TV anymore, I'd say it was a pile of shite which, IMO,
will hinder their development of speach.

--
And of course, Henry the Horse, dances the waltz!

Big John

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

In article <881343...@nospam.demon.co.uk>, The Cat
<C...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
[stuff about teletubbies cut]

>It's fine for the likes of you or I, but seeing as there are
>very few educational programs for children of that age group
>on UK TV anymore, I'd say it was a pile of shite which, IMO,
>will hinder their development of speach.

How the smeg will it hinder development of speech...my parents grew
up with Bill and Ben and the clangers and they talk just fine...what
makes you think it'll be detrimental to childrens learning?

--
Quag
B...@quagaars.demon.co.uk

Garth

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, Jon Hope wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Dec 1997 23:32:03 GMT, rnt...@at.iol.ie (Rameses Niblick
> The Third) scribbled in mind crayon:
> >:The question is, are the teletubbies the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th
> >:Krytens?
> WTF are teletubbies? I am reading all these post about teletubbies not
> knowing wtf is going on. Could someone please enlighten me?

teletubbies: BBC children's programme, aimed at the younger geneartion,
'though I know one or two collegues who'd disagree with that definition..
it's a bit like um, Mr Blobby. The next Generation..

so far no-one outside the uk, ASFAIK, has seen this show yet..

Peter Chant

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

In article <881171...@nospam.demon.co.uk>, The Cat
<C...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes

>Speaking of Kryten, who saw Crime Watch last night? One of the
>drawings of a suspect looked just like Kryten with a slightly more
>rounded head.

Is Kryten the only person who looks more lifelike in his photofit?
--
Peter Chant
pe...@neither.demon.co.uk

Gary Lightfoot

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

Jon Hope wrote in message <3488fa48...@news.uwa.edu.au>...

>WTF are teletubbies? I am reading all these post about teletubbies
>not knowing wtf is going on. Could someone please enlighten me?

Run John.

Run like the wind!

--
To reply, remove nosmeg from e-mail address.

Chick

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

Jon Hope wrote in message <348e2e39...@news.uwa.edu.au>...

>that fat purple bastard.

Oi, watch who your insulting. I might just get upset. = )

--
rp...@clara.net
Chick (Watch out for the tadpole who can brake bones by telepathy!)

Mister Yamamoto of Hollywood

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

The Cat wrote:

[snip]
> > WTF are teletubbies?[snip]

> It's a kids show in the UK. It features four fat creatures
> who speak rudementary English and live in a field. It contains
> images which have caused it to be accused of being linked to LSD.

What's the point of it? Are there moral lessons presented along with the
story or some sort of redeeming value to it? Is it even remotely
entertaining?

> It's fine for the likes of you or I, but seeing as there are
> very few educational programs for children of that age group
> on UK TV anymore, I'd say it was a pile of shite which, IMO,
> will hinder their development of speach.

What, no, Sesame Street?

Mr Yamamoto of Hollywood and Thomas Tunes the Cat

Annette

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

> WTF are teletubbies? I am reading all these post about teletubbies not
> knowing wtf is going on. Could someone please enlighten me?

Jon -- from the little I've unwittingly gathered, I think that we are

better off not knowing, for as long as is possible.

Annette.

Edwyn

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

Gary Lightfoot wrote:

> Jon Hope wrote in message <3488fa48...@news.uwa.edu.au>...

> >WTF are teletubbies? I am reading all these post about teletubbies
> >not knowing wtf is going on. Could someone please enlighten me?
>
> Run John.
>
> Run like the wind!

They're sort of like Barney and Friends. Only worse. Take Gary's
advice and run.

-Edwyn

--
Master of "Sock with a half-brick in it" technique
and Defender of Cyanspeak

Jon Hope

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

On Fri, 5 Dec 1997 20:09:37 +0000, Big John <B...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
scribbled in mind crayon:

>:How the smeg will it hinder development of speech...my parents grew

>:up with Bill and Ben and the clangers and they talk just fine...what
>:makes you think it'll be detrimental to childrens learning?

Bill and Ben are at the pub. Bill says to Ben "Ohlopalop little weed?"

Ben turms to him and says "You're on some really bad shit Bill"

Jon

Sitting in a traffic jam screaming at my fellow man
Punctuate a sentence with a blast on my horn

Gary Lightfoot

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

Big John wrote in message ...

>How the smeg will it hinder development of speech...my parents grew
>up with Bill and Ben and the clangers and they talk just fine...what
>makes you think it'll be detrimental to childrens learning?

Although your written English is perfectly OK, it makes me wonder that
when you speak, it all sounds like "fla-lob-alob Weeed"! ;o]

Reminds me of a joke:

Bill and Ben in a pub.

Bill says: "fla-lob-alob Weeed"

Ben says: "You'd better go home mate, you're pissed".

An oldie but a goldie.

A bit like me really. ;o]

The Cat

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

In article <3488C838...@fre.fsu.umd.edu>

d2fr...@fre.fsu.umd.edu "Mister Yamamoto of Hollywood" writes:

> The Cat wrote:
> >
> [snip]
> > > WTF are teletubbies?[snip]
>
> > It's a kids show in the UK. It features four fat creatures
> > who speak rudementary English and live in a field. It contains
> > images which have caused it to be accused of being linked to LSD.
>
> What's the point of it?

It's supposed to be educational. It fails IMO.

--
The Cat

The Cat

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

In article <zbsEDFAB...@quagaars.demon.co.uk>
B...@nospam.demon.co.uk "Big John" writes:

> In article <881343...@nospam.demon.co.uk>, The Cat
> <C...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
> [stuff about teletubbies cut]

> >It's fine for the likes of you or I, but seeing as there are
> >very few educational programs for children of that age group
> >on UK TV anymore, I'd say it was a pile of shite which, IMO,
> >will hinder their development of speach.
> >

> How the smeg will it hinder development of speech...my parents grew
> up with Bill and Ben and the clangers and they talk just fine...what
> makes you think it'll be detrimental to childrens learning?

Bill and Ben didn't speak any "language" as such. The teletubbies
on the other hand speak like a young child would speak i.e. mostly
incorrect. You learn languages by imitation and showing them
this crap will make those mistakes seem 'correct' as they are
frequently used.

--
"Be it a song or a casual conversation, to hold my tongue speaks
of quiet reservations. Your words, once heard, they can place you

Peter Chant

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

Snipped, a bit too much actually.

>They're sort of like Barney and Friends. Only worse. Take Gary's
>advice and run.
>
>-Edwyn

Have you heard the single? I beleive its called Teletubbies say Eh Oh.

Bring back the Clangers I say. Mind you, apparenlty they are making a
Clangers film!

--
Peter Chant
pe...@neither.demon.co.uk

Big John

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

In article <669ctq$f7m$1...@eros.clara.net>, Chick <rp...@clara.net>
writes

>Anyway </me tries desperately to steer this thread back to RD> Kryten... ..
>.

Does this really need spoiler space...oh well, better not upset the
apple cart.

>RD VII Spoilers follow..

>Where was I? oh yes, Kryten does have that bonnet style lift up panel with
>that support thing on top of his head. It was a good point though that
>Kryten came before the, ugh, Telletubbies. I can't believe I'm comparing
>Kryten to the Telletubbies, Isn't there a law about this kind of sacrilege?

Krytens pop up head is seemed to me a rip off from Startrek's
Commander Data, but I liked the way they customised it by giving
him a little bonnet stay, visual comedy at it's finest.

Remind me again how we gpt onto the subject of the teletubbies, oh
yea, his chest monitor, hasn't he had this since series 3? The only
similarity I can find, if you don't mind the bad pun is one of the
teletubies is Red and they are all dwarves:)
--
Quag
B...@quagaars.demon.co.uk

Big John

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

In article <348e2e39...@news.uwa.edu.au>, Jon Hope
<jeh...@chem.uwa.edu.au> writes

>On Sat, 06 Dec 1997 01:57:06 +0900, mcin...@netlink.com.au (Annette)
>scribbled in mind crayon:
>
>>:Jon -- from the little I've unwittingly gathered, I think that we are
>>:better off not knowing, for as long as is possible.
>
>But what about the fabulous expression "forewarned is forearmed"? I
>don't mean like tennis either :)
>
>Whats more, it can't be worse than that fat purple bastard.

Oi...I thought you didn't know what the teletubbies were, so how
come you now know one of em was purple...I smell a rat:)

--
Quag
B...@quagaars.demon.co.uk

Big John

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

In article <881430...@nospam.demon.co.uk>, The Cat
<C...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes

>> How the smeg will it hinder development of speech...my parents grew
>> up with Bill and Ben and the clangers and they talk just fine...what
>> makes you think it'll be detrimental to childrens learning?
>
>Bill and Ben didn't speak any "language" as such. The teletubbies
>on the other hand speak like a young child would speak i.e. mostly
>incorrect. You learn languages by imitation and showing them
>this crap will make those mistakes seem 'correct' as they are
>frequently used.

I hear what you are saying...but by the same token children of
yesteryear must have listened and indead tried to copy Bill and Ben
and the clangers (to name just 2) so I fail to see where the harm is
--
Quag
B...@quagaars.demon.co.uk

Mons

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

On Fri, 5 Dec 1997 21:07:01 +0000, Peter Chant <pe...@inferno.fire>
wrote:

>>Speaking of Kryten, who saw Crime Watch last night? One of the
>>drawings of a suspect looked just like Kryten with a slightly more
>>rounded head.
>>

>Is Kryten the only person who looks more lifelike in his photofit?

Wow ! You just posted the same gag in two different ways !

--------
Mons
mo...@dial.pipex.com

Mons

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

wrote:

>How the smeg will it hinder development of speech...my parents grew
>up with Bill and Ben and the clangers and they talk just fine...what
>makes you think it'll be detrimental to childrens learning?

Bill says to Ben "Flobadobblobbleeb."

Ben says "I told you to spit not swallow".

--------
Mons
mo...@dial.pipex.com

Nick Honeywell

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

In article <881343...@nospam.demon.co.uk>, The Cat
<C...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
[re: Teletubbies]

>I'd say it was a pile of shite which, IMO,
>will hinder their development of speach.

Gee, watching 'Bill and Ben', or 'The Clangers' never harmed *my* speech
development, so I think it's highly unlikely that Teletubbies will
hinder speech development in young children. Apparently it's *good* for
young children to speak total gibberish at first, but I can't for the
life of me recall why.

--
Nick Honeywell

Gary Lightfoot

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

Dave Noble wrote in message <348bab62.35853032@news>...

>According to other reports from qualified psychologists , the
>teletubbies are sposed to be pretty good..

Judging by the state of todays kids, these 'qualified psychologists'
haven't got a clue, which means that the Teletubbies are probably very
bad for young children.

Big John

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

In article <hZLa+DAR...@express.demon.co.uk>, Nick
Honeywell <ni...@express.demon.co.uk> writes
It keeps em in good stead for later life when they come here and start
posting:)

--
Quag
B...@quagaars.demon.co.uk

Julian Oliver

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

On Sat, 6 Dec 1997 16:53:40 +0000, Big John <B...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>Remind me again how we gpt onto the subject of the teletubbies, oh

>yea, his chest monitor, hasn't he had this since series 3? The only
>similarity I can find, if you don't mind the bad pun is one of the
>teletubies is Red and they are all dwarves:)

No, none of them are dwarfs. They are all over 8 feet tall, and all
the props, flowers etc are made extra big. Apparently they are all
different sizes, colours and have different antennae so kids can tell
them apart.

The single "Teletubbies say eh-oh" was on the Chart Show this morning
(at number 1) and is pants, although the video is quite funny, with
the tubbies strutting their funky stuff. There is a false ending
where some flowers say "Thank goodness that's over - what a load of
rubbish" before it all starts again and you start foaming at the mouth
and start cooking toast and custard and saying eh-oh and aaargh!

Jon Hope

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

On Sat, 6 Dec 1997 16:55:08 +0000, Big John <B...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
scribbled in mind crayon:

>:Oi...I thought you didn't know what the teletubbies were, so how

>:come you now know one of em was purple...I smell a rat:)

I meant that fat purple bastard from Merkinland.

And IIRC, it is supposed to be a dinosaur, but I'd say it has a lead
deficiency. High velocity lead, what's more.

Hehehehehehehe

Jon

There's an AK47 on the dashboard and mercy's just left town

Gillian Oxley

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

> No, none of them are dwarfs. They are all over 8 feet tall, and all
> the props, flowers etc are made extra big. Apparently they are all
> different sizes, colours and have different antennae so kids can tell
> them apart.

It is all very PC. The Tubbies all have different ethnic backgrounds,
to keep in charectern with the actor in the suit. Dipsey is black and
Po is Chinese, lots of the talking Po does is not gibberish but
Cantonese. Tinky Winky is a gay icon because he carries a large red handbag.
Gill

Gillian Oxley

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

Everyone has got it wrong. The Tellytubbies aren't for kids, they are
for teenagers
I rather like them and think they are a much better influence on kids
than the Spice Girls.
Gill

Jon Hope

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

On Sun, 7 Dec 1997 10:17:02 GMT, Gillian Oxley <gi...@zetnet.co.uk>
scribbled in mind crayon:

>:It is all very PC. The Tubbies all have different ethnic backgrounds,

>:to keep in charectern with the actor in the suit. Dipsey is black and
>:Po is Chinese, lots of the talking Po does is not gibberish but
>:Cantonese. Tinky Winky is a gay icon because he carries a large red handbag.
>:Gill

I think you were right Annette. Run for the hills!

Jon

There's an AK47 on the dashboard, and mercy's just left town

Peter Chant

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

In article <r1vi4BAO...@quagaars.demon.co.uk>, Big John
<B...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes

>I hear what you are saying...but by the same token children of
>yesteryear must have listened and indead tried to copy Bill and Ben
>and the clangers (to name just 2) so I fail to see where the harm is

People who have watched too much of the Clangers are posting to this
group. It seems a fair point. :)

--
Peter Chant
pe...@neither.demon.co.uk

Peter Chant

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

In article <3489b650...@news.dial.pipex.com>, Mons
<mo...@dial.pipex.com> writes

>>Is Kryten the only person who looks more lifelike in his photofit?
>
>Wow ! You just posted the same gag in two different ways !

I'm having a bit of fun posting at the moment and I thought that the
first post had got stuck in my system and died.

--
Peter Chant
pe...@neither.demon.co.uk

Peter Chant

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

In article <199712071...@zetnet.co.uk>, Gillian Oxley
<gi...@zetnet.co.uk> writes
However I doubt that teenagers want a better influence.

--
Peter Chant
pe...@neither.demon.co.uk

Amy

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

Way back in the mists of time Big John <B...@nospam.demon.co.uk> said
something like this:-
>[stuff about teletubbies cut]
>
>>It's fine for the likes of you or I, but seeing as there are
>>very few educational programs for children of that age group
>>on UK TV anymore, I'd say it was a pile of shite which, IMO,

>>will hinder their development of speach.
>>
>How the smeg will it hinder development of speech...my parents grew
>up with Bill and Ben and the clangers and they talk just fine...what
>makes you think it'll be detrimental to childrens learning?

"Holly get me some pop corn" This looks like it is gona gt good
(blood proof garments at the ready) and sit back and watch.

Amy B
--
m This SIG is automatic, it's systematic, it's hyyyyyydromatic - why
it's greased typing

Sea

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

On Fri, 05 Dec 1997 22:36:25 -0500, Mister Yamamoto of Hollywood
<d2fr...@fre.fsu.umd.edu> wrote:

>The Cat wrote:
>>
>[snip]
>> > WTF are teletubbies?[snip]
>
>> It's a kids show in the UK. It features four fat creatures
>> who speak rudementary English and live in a field. It contains
>> images which have caused it to be accused of being linked to LSD.
>

>What's the point of it? Are there moral lessons presented along with the
>story or some sort of redeeming value to it? Is it even remotely
>entertaining?

Since it's aimed at 2 year olds, yes, it's entertaining. For 2 year olds. It's
of the "Oh look, Po found a ball. What have you got Po?" "Borl!" "That's
right, it's a ball!" ilk. I've seen one episode and personally deem it
harmless. To say that this will hinder speech development seems pretty daft
when you look at all the other TV and the obligatory "cute" character (Sweep
in Sooty, Snurfle(?) in Thundercats, Scooby Doo etc, etc) that can't talk. Ill
spoken TV characters have been part of TV for years.l

Gary Lightfoot

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

Gillian Oxley wrote in message <199712071...@zetnet.co.uk>...

>I rather like them and think they are a much better influence on kids
>than the Spice Girls.

But I don't want to fornicate with the Telletubbies, and I'm sure,
given the choice, that all male teenagers would agree with me! ;o]

I can't speak for the female populace, but I can see that there may be
some appealing attributes to a Telletubbie.

The Cat

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

In article <348bab62.35853032@news> dave....@zetnet.co.uk "Dave Noble" writes:

> The Cat <C...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> >> How the smeg will it hinder development of speech...my parents grew
> >> up with Bill and Ben and the clangers and they talk just fine...what
> >> makes you think it'll be detrimental to childrens learning?

> >[...]

> >incorrect. You learn languages by imitation and showing them
> >this crap will make those mistakes seem 'correct' as they are
> >frequently used.
>

> So says the expert child psychologist, Cat :)

> According to other reports from qualified psychologists , the
> teletubbies are sposed to be pretty good..

Qualified or not, I say they're wrong. They're correct in
saying that it will encourage speach - it will because it uses
a lot of repetition - but not *correct* speach.

I think a good example would be as follows:

Say you were being tought a language which you don't know e.g. Spanish.
When you start off, you're bound to make mistakes. Now, instead
of your teacher always speaking correctly and correcting your
mistakes, you find that he/she speaks like a novis and makes the
same mistakes that you do. How would you know they were mistakes?
You wouldn't, therefore you'd never learn the correct language.

--
It is the authors opinion that there is too much hypocricy in this world.

The Cat

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

In article <AWZYQAAU...@quagaars.demon.co.uk>
B...@nospam.demon.co.uk "Big John" writes:

> In article <669ctq$f7m$1...@eros.clara.net>, Chick <rp...@clara.net>
> writes
> >Anyway </me tries desperately to steer this thread back to RD> Kryten... ..
> >.
> >
> Does this really need spoiler space...oh well, better not upset the
> apple cart.
>
> >RD VII Spoilers follow..

> >Where was I? oh yes, Kryten does have that bonnet style lift up panel with
> >that support thing on top of his head. It was a good point though that
> >Kryten came before the, ugh, Telletubbies. I can't believe I'm comparing
> >Kryten to the Telletubbies, Isn't there a law about this kind of sacrilege?
>
> Krytens pop up head is seemed to me a rip off from Startrek's
> Commander Data, but I liked the way they customised it by giving
> him a little bonnet stay, visual comedy at it's finest.

I think that was the idea. It looks like it was intended to take
the piss out of ST:TNG.

--
You are a *Freak*!

The Cat

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

In article <66efn7$d...@argon.btinternet.com>
nosmegg....@btinternet.com "Gary Lightfoot" writes:

> Gillian Oxley wrote in message <199712071...@zetnet.co.uk>...
>
> >I rather like them and think they are a much better influence on kids
> >than the Spice Girls.
>
> But I don't want to fornicate with the Telletubbies, and I'm sure,
> given the choice, that all male teenagers would agree with me! ;o]

If I had the power to banish one of them from the Earth, it would
be the Spice Slappers without hesitation.

--
"I saw the bridge coming and just shouted 'Duck!'"
Are you *sure* that's what you said?

The AndyT

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

Teenagers do not like the tele-tubies they are immature and can't speak prperly
I would also like to say the klangers don't try to speak like the tele-tubies
and Bill and Ben they just whistle. I think it's supposed to be a whistle!
|8-)

Big John

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

In article <348ff3f0...@news.demon.co.uk>, Julian Oliver
<jul...@winfield.demon.co.uk> writes

>On Sat, 6 Dec 1997 16:53:40 +0000, Big John <B...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>Remind me again how we gpt onto the subject of the teletubbies, oh
>>yea, his chest monitor, hasn't he had this since series 3? The only
>>similarity I can find, if you don't mind the bad pun is one of the
>>teletubies is Red and they are all dwarves:)
>
>No, none of them are dwarfs. They are all over 8 feet tall, and all
>the props, flowers etc are made extra big. Apparently they are all
>different sizes, colours and have different antennae so kids can tell
>them apart.

You really are gonna have to stop smoking that stuff guy...it's really
starting to mess with your mind:)

>The single "Teletubbies say eh-oh" was on the Chart Show this morning
>(at number 1) and is pants, although the video is quite funny, with
>the tubbies strutting their funky stuff. There is a false ending
>where some flowers say "Thank goodness that's over - what a load of
>rubbish" before it all starts again and you start foaming at the mouth
>and start cooking toast and custard and saying eh-oh and aaargh!

Eeeww...sounds like the spice girls all over again...only better
looking:)

--
Quag
B...@quagaars.demon.co.uk

Big John

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

In article <348a190...@news.demon.co.uk>, Sea <sea@hawki
da.demon.co.uk> writes

>>What's the point of it? Are there moral lessons presented along with the
>>story or some sort of redeeming value to it? Is it even remotely
>>entertaining?

Why should there have to be a moral lesson involved, its aimed at
children who quite frankly to know of morals and to innocent to care.

>Since it's aimed at 2 year olds, yes, it's entertaining. For 2 year olds. It's
>of the "Oh look, Po found a ball. What have you got Po?" "Borl!" "That's
>right, it's a ball!" ilk. I've seen one episode and personally deem it
>harmless.

I fully agree...the Teletubbie says it how a child would say it and the
Narrator corrects it...isn't that how you are supposed to teach
children.

> To say that this will hinder speech development seems pretty daft
>when you look at all the other TV and the obligatory "cute" character (Sweep
>in Sooty, Snurfle(?) in Thundercats, Scooby Doo etc, etc) that can't talk. Ill
>spoken TV characters have been part of TV for years.l

Precisely...there are heaps of programs that could be used to back up
this argument...that have never been accused of setting a bad
example, but we appear to have fallen into a trend of condemning
harmless programs, because a minority of old and out of touch people
feel the need to impose censorship upon them, take Noddy for
example, children have for years enjoyed Noddy stories but now we
are told he will cause children to grow up gay...what a load of
nonsense.
--
Quag
B...@quagaars.demon.co.uk

Road...@lknight.demon.co.uk

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

In article <<hZLa+DAR...@express.demon.co.uk>>, Nick Honeywell
(ni...@express.demon.co.uk) wrote...

>Apparently it's *good* for
>young children to speak total gibberish at first, but I can't for the
>life of me recall why.

Its incase they decide to go into politics ;)

--
The only meat a priest can eat on fridays is nun.

Heidi L Sackerson

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

I tuned into Sanity FM when dave....@zetnet.co.uk (Dave Noble)
wrote:

>According to other reports from qualified psychologists , the
>teletubbies are sposed to be pretty good..

Would these be the same qualified psychologists who are currently
hopping up today's youth on Ritalin?
--
Heidi L Sackerson (I_Palin...@juno.com),
This space intentionally left blank.

Mr M Stratford

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

Road...@lknight.demon.co.uk wrote:

> In article <<hZLa+DAR...@express.demon.co.uk>>, Nick Honeywell
> (ni...@express.demon.co.uk) wrote...
> >Apparently it's *good* for
> >young children to speak total gibberish at first, but I can't for the
> >life of me recall why.
>
> Its incase they decide to go into politics ;)

Too true........
Matthew Stratford
matthew....@durham.ac.uk

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Chamber/7247/

- "DID YOU SAY HUMANS PLAY IT FOR FUN?"
- "Some of them get to be very good at it, yes. I'm only
an amateur, I'm afraid"
- "BUT THEY ONLY LIVE EIGHTY OR NINETY YEARS!"
-- The joys of bridge (Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic)

Mr M Stratford

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

Mr M Stratford wrote:

> Road...@lknight.demon.co.uk wrote:
> >
> > In article <<hZLa+DAR...@express.demon.co.uk>>, Nick Honeywell
> > (ni...@express.demon.co.uk) wrote...
> > >Apparently it's *good* for
> > >young children to speak total gibberish at first, but I can't for the
> > >life of me recall why.
> >
> > Its incase they decide to go into politics ;)
> >

> Too true........

Or do they just write Eastenders?

Gary Lightfoot

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

Big John wrote in message ...

> [...] but we appear to have fallen into a trend of condemning

>harmless programs, because a minority of old and out of touch people
>feel the need to impose censorship upon them, take Noddy for
>example, children have for years enjoyed Noddy stories but now we
>are told he will cause children to grow up gay...what a load of
>nonsense.

Nail on the head me ol' muckeroonie.

Gary Lightfoot

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

The Cat wrote in message <881511...@nospam.demon.co.uk>...

>If I had the power to banish one of them from the Earth, it would
>be the Spice Slappers without hesitation.

So you'd date a tele-tubbie?

Peter Chant

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

mo...@dial.pipex.com (Mons) writes:

> Wow ! You just posted the same gag in two different ways !

And I stuffed it up the second time!
--
Peter Chant
pe...@neither.demon.co.uk

Arthur Rimbaud

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

On Fri, 5 Dec 1997 16:11:42 -0000, "Chick" <rp...@clara.net> wrote:

>Annette wrote in message ...

>Where was I? oh yes, Kryten does have that bonnet style lift up panel with
>that support thing on top of his head. It was a good point though that
>Kryten came before the, ugh, Telletubbies. I can't believe I'm comparing
>Kryten to the Telletubbies, Isn't there a law about this kind of sacrilege?
>

>--
>rp...@clara.net
>Chick (But don't forget the hamster is a vicious beast if provoked!)

How about teletubbies with a groinal attachment? That'll sell dolls!
"Poetry is the derangement of all the Senses..."
Arthur Rimbaud in an 1871 correspondance to M. Debainville

Julian Oliver

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

On Sun, 7 Dec 1997 17:49:07 +0000, Big John <B...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>You really are gonna have to stop smoking that stuff guy...it's really

>starting to mess with your mind:)

Every word is true. I read it in the Sunday Times magazine.
Because Eric the Aubergine told me to.
--
Julian Oliver, London NW11, UK.
jul...@winfield.demon.co.uk, or http://www.winfield.demon.co.uk/

Julian Oliver

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

On Sun, 07 Dec 97 15:52:32 GMT, The Cat <C...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>Say you were being tought a language which you don't know e.g. Spanish.
>When you start off, you're bound to make mistakes. Now, instead
>of your teacher always speaking correctly and correcting your
>mistakes, you find that he/she speaks like a novis and makes the
>same mistakes that you do. How would you know they were mistakes?
>You wouldn't, therefore you'd never learn the correct language.

Yes, but it's two-year-olds we're talking about, not older children or
adults. And I presume these hypothetical Spanish lessons would be
more or less your only contact with the language - kids watching
Teletubbies hear correct English all the time from other sources so
the argument doesn't hold. It's just an isolated influence.

jules

So guess who's gonna take the blame for
my big mouth

Edwyn

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

Dave Noble wrote:

> >so far no-one outside the uk, ASFAIK, has seen this show yet..
>
> Though this is likely to change. I believe that the BBC have managed
> to convince some American channel to take it. The Teletubbies invade
> the world.

They are going to air on New Zealand television as well. As if
we don't get enough <censored by New Zealand Broadcasting> things
on tely already.

-Edwyn

--
Master of "Sock with a half-brick in it" technique
and Defender of Cyanspeak
"Dies natalis Christi nimis mercatoria facta est."
-Things to Say at Christmas

AndrewR

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

fri...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Friday) wrote:

TGIF :)

Garth

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

On Sat, 6 Dec 1997, Dave Noble wrote:
> 'Garth' <gw...@192.168.25.32> wrote:
<snip>
> >teletubbies: BBC children's programme, aimed at the younger geneartion,
> >'though I know one or two collegues who'd disagree with that definition..
> >it's a bit like um, Mr Blobby. The next Generation..
> Plus they have released a single which is worryingly high in the
> charts

No. 1 as of Yesterday.. According to the Pepsi Chart.. (that one hosted by
Dr Fox.. IIRC)

Makes me think that the Chicken song wasn't *that* annoying[1] after all

> >so far no-one outside the uk, ASFAIK, has seen this show yet..
> Though this is likely to change. I believe that the BBC have managed
> to convince some American channel to take it. The Teletubbies invade
> the world.

Well... It'll be a nice little earner in a few months, espec. when the
track gets over there.. fellow Americans, run like smeg.. It's the Spice
Girls in mutant form.. only diff. teletubbies won't be making a film

odd thing.. teletubbies are *supposdly*, the BBC's way of replacing
"Playdays" I did wonder where it'd got to..

"Garth"
http://www.student.comp.brad.ac.uk/~gward/
"If only everything in life was as reliable as God"

Jeffrey Snijder

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

On Sat, 06 Dec 97 17:41:28 GMT, C...@nospam.demon.co.uk (The Cat) wrote:

>It (Teletubbies) is supposed to be educational. It fails IMO.

You've got a point here. If there's one thing history taught us
it's that if someone hides behind a grassy knoll he won't pop back
up to show himself.

Garth

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

True.. but the Teletubbies are supposed to be aimed at pre-school kids..
allegedly.

The Cat

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

In article <eQ8$BNADRu...@quagaars.demon.co.uk>
B...@nospam.demon.co.uk "Big John" writes:

> >spoken TV characters have been part of TV for years.l
>

> example, but we appear to have fallen into a trend of condemning

> harmless programs, because a minority of old and out of touch people
> feel the need to impose censorship upon them, take Noddy for

> [snip]

Basicaly, to sum up the above you could've just said "censorship
is evil". I agree, anyway.

--
Nothing to do with what you think, if you ever think at all

The Cat

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

In article <66fa1v$m...@argon.btinternet.com>
nosmegg....@btinternet.com "Gary Lightfoot" writes:

> The Cat wrote in message <881511...@nospam.demon.co.uk>...
>
> >If I had the power to banish one of them from the Earth, it would
> >be the Spice Slappers without hesitation.
>
> So you'd date a tele-tubbie?

No.

--
"Be it a song or a casual conversation, to hold my tongue speaks
of quiet reservations. Your words, once heard, they can place you
in a faction. My words may disturb, but at least there's a reaction"

Annette

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

In article <348b2bee...@news.w-link.net>, van...@w-link.net (Arthur
Rimbaud) wrote:

I don't know who it is has messed up the quoting here, but for the
record the only words in this post that are mine are in this very
sentence.

Annette (and this one).

Sam Deth

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

In article <348a56fa...@nntp.ix.netcom.com>, Heidi L Sackerson (
i_palin...@juno.com ) said...

>Would these be the same qualified psychologists who are currently
>hopping up today's youth on Ritalin?

Ey! What's wrong with Ritalin? Good stuff that is, I used to take it myself,
back when they called hyperactivity hyperactivity, instead of calling it ADD. I
admit that many kids today get it not because they are hyper, but because
school is boring as hell, but Ritalin is still good stuff (=

Sam Deth, who does not take it anymore, can you tell ;)
--
Freddy: Jesus Christ, somebody stuck a cat in the toilet!

Peter Chant

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

In article <881510...@nospam.demon.co.uk>, The Cat
<C...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes

>In article <AWZYQAAU...@quagaars.demon.co.uk>
> B...@nospam.demon.co.uk "Big John" writes:
>
>> In article <669ctq$f7m$1...@eros.clara.net>, Chick <rp...@clara.net>
>> writes
>> >Anyway </me tries desperately to steer this thread back to RD> Kryten... ..
>> >.
>> >
>> Does this really need spoiler space...oh well, better not upset the
>> apple cart.
>>
>> >RD VII Spoilers follow..

>I think that was the idea. It looks like it was intended to take
>the piss out of ST:TNG.

Has anyone thought what a swap would be like, with Kryten in ST:TNG and
Data in RD?

--
Peter Chant
pe...@neither.demon.co.uk

Peter Chant

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

In article <348b2bee...@news.w-link.net>, Arthur Rimbaud
<van...@w-link.net> writes

>How about teletubbies with a groinal attachment? That'll sell dolls!

Or how about inflatable Spice Girls?
--
Peter Chant
pe...@neither.demon.co.uk

Gary Lightfoot

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

The Cat wrote in message <881606...@nospam.demon.co.uk>...

>No.

Phew! ;o]

heather

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

Friday wrote in message ...
>In article <66gnog$vbd$1...@nargun.cc.uq.edu.au>

> s34...@student.uq.edu.au "AndrewR" writes:
>
>> fri...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Friday) wrote:
>>
>> TGIF :)
>

>There's nowt like originality, and that was...
>Besides, it's Thank Fuck It's Friday.

Or, alternatively, That fuck is Friday. 8)

Heather

Heidi L Sackerson

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

I tuned into Sanity FM when sam...@noworld.net (Sam Deth) wrote:

>In article <348a56fa...@nntp.ix.netcom.com>, Heidi L Sackerson (
>i_palin...@juno.com ) said...
>>
>>Would these be the same qualified psychologists who are currently
>>hopping up today's youth on Ritalin?
>

> Ey! What's wrong with Ritalin? (snip)

Well, it seems to have done you good, Sam. :-) I just think it's
over-prescribed. I'm sure it's justified in many cases, but it
shouldn't be used as an excuse for those who can't control their
kids. JMO.

--
Heidi L Sackerson (I_Palin...@juno.com),

So this is Christmas...

Garth

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, Peter Chant wrote:
> In article <348b2bee...@news.w-link.net>, Arthur Rimbaud
> <van...@w-link.net> writes
> >>
> >How about teletubbies with a groinal attachment? That'll sell dolls!
> Or how about inflatable Spice Girls?

now that *could* be interesting.. then again..

Garth

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Gillian Oxley wrote:
> > No, none of them are dwarfs. They are all over 8 feet tall, and all
> > the props, flowers etc are made extra big. Apparently they are all
> > different sizes, colours and have different antennae so kids can tell
> > them apart.
> It is all very PC. The Tubbies all have different ethnic backgrounds,
> to keep in charectern with the actor in the suit. Dipsey is black and
> Po is Chinese, lots of the talking Po does is not gibberish but
> Cantonese. Tinky Winky is a gay icon because he carries a large red handbag.

oh.. my best (female) friends not going to like that too much, somebody
(me) got her a pottery teletubby of the Purple coloured one.. unfortunetly
I think that may be Tinky Winky.. :-/

but is having a Gay icon on a Childrens programme a *good* influence on
Children?

having said that I do like the "it's time for teletubbies" song..

The Cat

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

In article <PNX5dFAF...@inferno.fire>
pe...@inferno.fire "Peter Chant" writes:

> In article <348b2bee...@news.w-link.net>, Arthur Rimbaud
> <van...@w-link.net> writes
> >>
> >How about teletubbies with a groinal attachment? That'll sell dolls!
>
> Or how about inflatable Spice Girls?

What, as in Voodoo doll? They'd sell, I'm sure. Sales of pins
would rise too, I guess.

--
Follow her down to a bridge by a fountain, where rocking horse people
eat marshmellow pies.

Geoff Morris

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

'Garth' wrote:

> having said that I do like the "it's time for teletubbies" song..

The songs rubbish, but the video makes me laugh - I'm ashamed to say.
It's not often you get the impression that the people making a kids'
programme are having a laugh while doing so...

--
Geoff

P.S. Po's the one for me.. she's *sooooo* cute :-)
PS/2 I reckon that La La's the one played by Toyah.

Amy

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

'Garth' <gw...@192.168.25.32> said something like this:-

>Well... It'll be a nice little earner in a few months, espec. when the
>track gets over there.. fellow Americans, run like smeg.. It's the Spice
>Girls in mutant form.. only diff. teletubbies won't be making a film

How do you know? they are in secret filming this instent in
america - so there! :)

>odd thing.. teletubbies are *supposdly*, the BBC's way of replacing
>"Playdays" I did wonder where it'd got to..

playdays - thats great! I know the first Mr. Jolly so I'm byast
but it was good for a giggle!

BTW have you noticed that you apreshiate kids TV much more whne
you ae ill? it isn't atchuly tv for kids - it's for teanagers who are
skiving off school pretending to be ill so they can watch day time tv
all day :)

Amy B

--
m This SIG is automatic, it's systematic, it's hyyyyyydromatic - why
it's greased typing
s There's no point in trying to be impressive, no-one will notice
m It's those sig changes thats all

Raz

Dec 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/11/97

Heedless of the possible consequences, Amy offered:

> >I thought it was Sordoff Friday? ... ;O)
> >
> It might be tomorowis or even Mann
>
> at least he's not called Peter Night!

Brother of Michael?

Raz

Skutter

Dec 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/11/97

Peter Chant <pe...@inferno.fire> proclaimed in a deep voice:

>In article <348b2bee...@news.w-link.net>, Arthur Rimbaud
><van...@w-link.net> writes
>>>
>>How about teletubbies with a groinal attachment? That'll sell dolls!
>
>Or how about inflatable Spice Girls?

Ah yes, punching bags.

--
Skutter: http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Set/3784/index.htm

Garth

Dec 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/11/97

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, The Cat wrote:
> pe...@inferno.fire "Peter Chant" writes:
<snip>

> > Or how about inflatable Spice Girls?

and condems no doubt.. *pause* sorry, I don't why I said that..

> What, as in Voodoo doll? They'd sell, I'm sure. Sales of pins
> would rise too, I guess.

though I assumed he meant life-size versions...

The Cat

Dec 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/11/97

In article <pG4rtDBw...@thimbleby.demon.co.uk>
ak...@thimbleby.demon.co.uk "Amy" writes:

> >odd thing.. teletubbies are *supposdly*, the BBC's way of replacing
> >"Playdays" I did wonder where it'd got to..
>
> playdays - thats great! I know the first Mr. Jolly so I'm byast
> but it was good for a giggle!

"Playdays" is utter shite compared to the near legendary "Playschool".
It was a sad day when they axed that...

> BTW have you noticed that you apreshiate kids TV much more whne
> you ae ill? it isn't atchuly tv for kids - it's for teanagers who are
> skiving off school pretending to be ill so they can watch day time tv
> all day :)

I used to like watching the discussion programs, but these days
they're all the same. No decent debates, just criminals attempting
to justify themselves.

--
#L I V - E R P - Double O L, Liverpool FC!

Ouroboros**

Dec 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/11/97

: BTW have you noticed that you apreshiate kids TV much more

whne
: you ae ill? it isn't atchuly tv for kids - it's for teanagers who are
: skiving off school pretending to be ill so they can watch day time tv
: all day :)

Your right there, There's so much great stuff on Daytime telly,
thesedays. The really usefull show's great, so's supermarket sweep, and
of course teletubbies, and schools programs are great too! Then there's
something on BBC2 at about one. I recently had a throuple of days of
school, and I quite enjoyed myself (except i had a disgusting cold,
which ruins things.)

--
14 days to Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!

Ouroboros**

Dec 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/11/97

: "Playdays" is utter shite compared to the near legendary

"Playschool".
: It was a sad day when they axed that...

Sigh! - Those were the days, though I was young enough then, to
actually enjoy it as a young person. There was also some program called
Hockey Cockey, which was quite good too. BTW what was that machine at
the end of Playschool where it had little metal balls rolling down it,
and it turn around?

: I used to like watching the discussion programs, but these days

: they're all the same. No decent debates, just criminals attempting
: to justify themselves.

They've been replaced by equally great programs like The Really Usefull
show, telling you how to get wine or wank stains out of your carpet,
and Change that telling you how to complete rubbish furniture, into
something, that looks as if it was a flatpack from MFI with a tin of
Acrillic Paint, and MDF. with that block from Changing rooms, The one
with the long hair and handy andy. Though I think, i watch too much of
those programs for my own good.

--
What does scrollock actually DO?

Garth

Dec 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/12/97

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Amy wrote:
> 'Garth' <gw...@192.168.25.32> said something like this:-
> >Well... It'll be a nice little earner in a few months, espec. when the
> >track gets over there.. fellow Americans, run like smeg.. It's the Spice
> >Girls in mutant form.. only diff. teletubbies won't be making a film
> How do you know? they are in secret filming this instent in
> america - so there! :)

well how do you know? I know the Spice Girls have made a film... but I
didn't know that the teletubbies were making a film..

> >odd thing.. teletubbies are *supposdly*, the BBC's way of replacing
> >"Playdays" I did wonder where it'd got to..
> playdays - thats great! I know the first Mr. Jolly so I'm byast
> but it was good for a giggle!

yeah.. I suppose, my sister uesd to watch Playdays quite a lot.. the only
one she didn't like to much was Dot.. though IIRC there were two of them.

> BTW have you noticed that you apreshiate kids TV much more whne
> you ae ill? it isn't atchuly tv for kids - it's for teanagers who are
> skiving off school pretending to be ill so they can watch day time tv
> all day :)

well.. I'd never admit to it.. but I hated school.. it was a dump.. well
it wasn't that bad.. not all of the time.. anyway.. things to do..

Sam Deth

Dec 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/12/97

In article <348e53e3...@nntp.ix.netcom.com>, Heidi L Sackerson (
i_palin...@juno.com ) said...

>I tuned into Sanity FM when sam...@noworld.net (Sam Deth) wrote:

>> Ey! What's wrong with Ritalin? (snip)

Ouch

>Well, it seems to have done you good, Sam. :-)

Well thanks, it's quite good stuff... the key is to get your kid prescribed
even if they do not need it, and save the stuff fr yourself ;)

> I just think it's
>over-prescribed.

I agree, but that does not mean Ritalin is the bad guy. The schools are for
saying bored kids need it.

> I'm sure it's justified in many cases, but it
>shouldn't be used as an excuse for those who can't control their
>kids. JMO.

I don't see much of that. I see more like what I mentioned above (I have a
friends who are parents who have been told to get their kids on it because the
kid is not being a total zombie in class. This is not because they are hyper
though, it is because they are bored shitless). Still, I'd rather a kid be on
Ritalin than that herbal alternative... my cousin took that, and the only
affect it had was making him wet the bed.

Sam Deth, who had to suffer through the Feingold Diet as a kid :6

--
Featherstone: I think he's cold, ruthless, and more than a little patronizing.
On the other hand, I doubt if he's ever failed in an assigned task.

Heidi L Sackerson

Dec 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/13/97

I tuned into Sanity FM when sam...@noworld.net (Sam Deth) wrote:

>> I just think it's
>>over-prescribed.
>
> I agree, but that does not mean Ritalin is the bad guy.

No, not at all -- my original point was that the psychiatrists who
over-prescribe it are the bad guys.

Anyway, that being said, I'm off for a glorious three weeks in the
Pacific Northwest, so take care all, and happy
non-religious-specific holidays.

--
Heidi L Sackerson (I_Palin...@juno.com),

"Merry Christmas, you wonderful old Building & Loan!"

Geoff Morris

Dec 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/13/97

'Garth' wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, The Cat wrote:
> > pe...@inferno.fire "Peter Chant" writes:
> <snip>
> > > Or how about inflatable Spice Girls?
>
> and condems no doubt.. *pause* sorry, I don't why I said that..

Inflatable condoms? Hmmm....

For the more 'slight' among us :-)

--
Geoff

Epideme

Dec 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/13/97

Don't touch that dial, C...@nospam.demon.co.uk (The Cat) just wrote:

>"Playdays" is utter shite compared to the near legendary "Playschool".
>It was a sad day when they axed that...

Thread drift alert.

What were the toys?

Humpty, Big Ted, Little Ted, Jemima... damned if I can remember the
other one.

Road...@lknight.demon.co.uk

Dec 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/13/97

In article <<34970c00.8470652@znews>>, Epideme (lee.w...@zetnet.co.uk)
wrote...

>Thread drift alert.

>What were the toys?

Hamble (sp)

--
"Sorry I'm late, I forgot to put my clock back."
"Clocks didn't go back last night."

Garth

Dec 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/14/97

On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, The Cat wrote:
> ak...@thimbleby.demon.co.uk "Amy" writes:
<snip>

> > playdays - thats great! I know the first Mr. Jolly so I'm byast
> > but it was good for a giggle!
> "Playdays" is utter shite compared to the near legendary "Playschool".
> It was a sad day when they axed that...

and today we're going to look through.. the round window! [or was that
Blue Peter? ] .. I did have at one wonderful point in my child hood all
the toys, either made or bought by my mum, thankfully not that doll..
[aged, um, 5, I think, at the time]

> > BTW have you noticed that you apreshiate kids TV much more whne
> > you ae ill? it isn't atchuly tv for kids - it's for teanagers who are
> > skiving off school pretending to be ill so they can watch day time tv
> > all day :)

> I used to like watching the discussion programs, but these days
> they're all the same. No decent debates, just criminals attempting
> to justify themselves.

that or sad lonely people with no meaningful social life..

Garth

Dec 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/14/97

On Sat, 13 Dec 1997, Geoff Morris wrote:
> 'Garth' wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, The Cat wrote:
> > > pe...@inferno.fire "Peter Chant" writes:
> > <snip>
> > and condems no doubt.. *pause* sorry, I don't why I said that..
> Inflatable condoms? Hmmm....

no, no, no.. I meant if inflatable Spice Girls went on sale, then the male
gender may buy more condoms..

> For the more 'slight' among us :-)

speack for yourself pal..

Garth

Dec 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/14/97

On Sat, 13 Dec 1997, Epideme wrote:
> Don't touch that dial, C...@nospam.demon.co.uk (The Cat) just wrote:
> >"Playdays" is utter shite compared to the near legendary "Playschool".
> >It was a sad day when they axed that...
> Thread drift alert.
>
> What were the toys?
>
> Humpty, Big Ted, Little Ted, Jemima... damned if I can remember the
> other one.

Hamble.. so i've been informed..

Gary Lightfoot

Dec 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/14/97

The Cat wrote in message <881864...@nospam.demon.co.uk>...

>"Playdays" is utter shite compared to the near legendary
>"Playschool". It was a sad day when they axed that...

What happened to "Play Away"? It had Toni Arther (a babe?) and Brian
Cant (not a babe) in it. That used to be fun IIRC.

Sea

Dec 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/15/97

On Sat, 13 Dec 1997 22:51:11 GMT, lee.w...@zetnet.co.uk (Epideme) wrote:

>Humpty, Big Ted, Little Ted, Jemima... damned if I can remember the
>other one.

Hamble. Who went missing in Mysterious Circumstances and was never referred to
again...

It is loading more messages.