Red Dwarf, American Style

1 view

Kyle Thomas Pope

Jan 6, 2001, 12:03:44 AM1/6/01
In the distant past when Red Dwarf was the province of a few isolated
PBS stations in the US it developed enough of a following for there to
be interest in producing a US version. Two pilots were completed but
never aired (one starred Terry Farrell, aka Jadzia Dax, as Cat if you
can believe that and both featured Robert Llewellyn as Kryten from the
BBC version). Are these unaired pilots available anywhere? Can
anyone who has seen them comment on how they compared to the original?
Considering what happened when ABC tried to make a US version of
Fawlty Towers I'm curious as to how the American interpretation turned
out.

BTW... If these pilots are available anywhere on video I'd like to
know how to snag them.

Kyle

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered." - No. 6

Steve B

Jan 6, 2001, 1:03:26 AM1/6/01
On Fri, 05 Jan 2001 21:03:44 -0800, Kyle Thomas Pope
<kuro...@hotmail.de.spam.com> wrote in alt.tv.red-dwarf:

>In the distant past when Red Dwarf was the province of a few isolated
>PBS stations in the US it developed enough of a following for there to
>be interest in producing a US version. Two pilots were completed but
>never aired (one starred Terry Farrell, aka Jadzia Dax, as Cat if you
>can believe that and both featured Robert Llewellyn as Kryten from the
>BBC version). Are these unaired pilots available anywhere?

Commercially? No. If you ask nicely, though, I'm sure someone here
will be able to help you out in obtaining the "bootleg" version that's
been floating around for years. :)

>Can anyone who has seen them comment on how they compared to the original?

Not very well, IMO. The first US pilot was a standard-length pilot (a
little but under a half-hour), while the second "pilot" was nothing
more than a 15 minute promotional video. The first pilot took bits
and pieces from the first three Series of the UK RD and condensed it
down into one episode. While it did have a few funny lines and
moments, most of the jokes were simply taken from the UK version and
repackaged for the US audience. Some of the characters were defined a
bit differently, but it mainly was true to the original plot lines.

The second pilot had more clips from Series 4 of the UK show than it
did any new material. It was pretty bad, and it's not hard to
understand why it was never brought up again. The female version of
the Cat just didn't work at all, IMO. Not only did the character go
from being male to being female, but also went from being cool and
suave to being militant and annoying. Also, the guy who played Rimmer
in the second pilot was *very* creepy.

>Considering what happened when ABC tried to make a US version of
>Fawlty Towers I'm curious as to how the American interpretation turned
>out.

As stated above, it's not hard to understand why it failed. :)

>BTW... If these pilots are available anywhere on video I'd like to
>know how to snag them.

If no one here offers, try visiting one of the video trading groups.
I've been told that they've got pretty much anything that you're
looking for at reasonable prices. If you can get your hands on it for
not a lot of money, it's an interesting side-trip in the RD universe.
Just make sure you don't pay much more than the cost of the video tape
that it's on.

--
Vote Steve B for NGPotY because Skutter is dumb.

http://atvrdletter.cjb.net

mrgazpacho

Jan 6, 2001, 1:24:23 AM1/6/01
In article
<A33757DD4EC447C7.7158F708...@lp.airnews.net>,
kuro...@hotmail.de.spam.com wrote:

> Are these unaired pilots available anywhere? Can
> anyone who has seen them comment on how they compared to the original?
> Considering what happened when ABC tried to make a US version of
> Fawlty Towers I'm curious as to how the American interpretation turned
> out.

Hi Kyle, glad to see you're weaning yourself off deranged Japanese
animation (albeit on deranged British comedy)...

I'm pretty sure the pilots are not "generally" available.
Some USAns may have secret copies, tho...

Robert Llewellyn, in his book "The Man In The Rubber Mask" told of the
rather bemusing experiences he had in making the pilots, especially the
typical decision to clean up Lister.

--
Chris Kuan
Real email: mr gazpacho @ hotmail . com

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Kyle Thomas Pope

Jan 6, 2001, 2:18:06 AM1/6/01
On Sat, 06 Jan 2001 06:24:23 GMT, mrgazpacho <mrgaz...@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>Hi Kyle, glad to see you're weaning yourself off deranged Japanese
>animation (albeit on deranged British comedy)...

Hey, being a fan of one does not preclude being a fan of the other.

mrgazpacho

Jan 6, 2001, 4:16:26 AM1/6/01
In article
<88715FE33744C488.CC5534BF...@lp.airnews.net>,

kuro...@hotmail.de.spam.com wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Jan 2001 06:24:23 GMT, mrgazpacho <mrgaz...@my-deja.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi Kyle, glad to see you're weaning yourself off deranged Japanese
> >animation (albeit on deranged British comedy)...
>
> Hey, being a fan of one does not preclude being a fan of the other.

Well, obviously :-)

Gimbal

Jan 6, 2001, 7:42:37 AM1/6/01
"Kyle Thomas Pope" <kuro...@hotmail.de.spam.com> wrote in message

> BTW... If these pilots are available anywhere on video I'd like to
> know how to snag them.

While I can't help getting hold of the videos, I can provide a link to the
scripts for the two pilots and a series of interviews on the USA version.

<plug mode> They can all be found in the RD USA section of Red Dwarf Online
at www.reddwarfonline.co.uk </plug mode>

Hope that helps a bit.

--
Gimbal
gim...@reddwarfonline.co.uk

SmeggerUK

Jan 6, 2001, 9:08:32 AM1/6/01
Steve B <jakeb...@primary.net> wrote in message

> If you ask nicely, though, I'm sure someone here will be
> able to help you out in obtaining the "bootleg" version that's
> been floating around for years. :)

'course, if *I* got hold of a copy, you know what I'd do with it ;-)

(I bet Lister guesses right first time, too ;-))

--
Saturday 6th January 1901
6/01/01...does anyone notice the spookily eerie connotations of that

Zebrowski

Jan 6, 2001, 2:02:04 PM1/6/01

> On Sat, 06 Jan 2001 06:24:23 GMT, mrgazpacho <mrgaz...@my-deja.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi Kyle, glad to see you're weaning yourself off deranged Japanese
> >animation (albeit on deranged British comedy)...
>
> Hey, being a fan of one does not preclude being a fan of the other.

A person is baka if they think anime is a bad thing. Deranged is good.

Mat.

Post No Bills

Jan 6, 2001, 2:45:17 PM1/6/01
> Also, the guy who played Rimmer
>in the second pilot was *very* creepy.

As it turns out, the actor who played Rimmer in the second pilot is now playing
a Hannibal Lecterish (only he doesn't eat his victims) serial killer on the US
TV series "The Practice". He is getting rave reviews for being just what you
claim he was in the second pilot - *very* creepy.

"The meek shall inherit the earth... but the a**holes will contest the will."

________________________Dennis Miller________________________

www.wesjohnson.net

Domus

Jan 6, 2001, 6:42:09 PM1/6/01
In article <936dmk$1op$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, mrgazpacho wrote:
>In article
><A33757DD4EC447C7.7158F708...@lp.airnews.net>,
> kuro...@hotmail.de.spam.com wrote:
>
>I'm pretty sure the pilots are not "generally" available.
>Some USAns may have secret copies, tho...

I got one from someone on the newsgroup who was very nice, who I still owe a
video of Robot Wars, although I will probably die before I get it to them.
In any case, my version of the pilot is hard to watch, as it's got to be at
least a 20th generation copy. However, at DJ2K this year they had a
perfectly fine version of the show. So there must be some out there
somewhere.

>Robert Llewellyn, in his book "The Man In The Rubber Mask" told of the
>rather bemusing experiences he had in making the pilots, especially the
>typical decision to clean up Lister.

While Craig Beriko was ok as a Lister, the whole show was really
annoyingly...white. Ok, Cat was played by a black dude, but with the
exposure he got in the episode, it was like the token minority. It'd just be
nice to see a comedy show on American TV where a main character is black,
without the humor being ghetto-style. Maybe I've just seen too many wayan's
brothers shows. In any case, I would have prefered it if Lister was at least
not quite so clean and shiny looking.

In any case, the joke style reminds me a whole lot of 'night court', which
Linwood Boomer worked on for a time, although I was just Executive Producer.
Lots of little, silly bits, (at least for Kryten) which don't sound funny in
the script, but a funny when acted out. It's neat to compare the original
(written by linwood) script with the one altered by GN. I think it's on
matrixcity right now...

-Domus

They say 'Jump!'.
I ask "How high...would I have to be to take orders from them?"

Steve B

Jan 6, 2001, 8:15:11 PM1/6/01
On 6 Jan 2001 23:42:09 GMT, do...@junior.apk.net (Domus) wrote in
alt.tv.red-dwarf:

>In article <936dmk$1op$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, mrgazpacho wrote:
>>In article
>><A33757DD4EC447C7.7158F708...@lp.airnews.net>,
>> kuro...@hotmail.de.spam.com wrote:
>>
>>I'm pretty sure the pilots are not "generally" available.
>>Some USAns may have secret copies, tho...
>
>I got one from someone on the newsgroup who was very nice, who I still owe a
>video of Robot Wars, although I will probably die before I get it to them.

Until you had mentioned it, I had forgotten that you owed me a tape of
Robot Wars. :)

--
Ignore the hype! Vote *Steve B* for NGPotY!
Without me, you would have no idea where the Skuttergram is.

http://atvrdletter.cjb.net

Domus

Jan 7, 2001, 1:04:44 AM1/7/01
In article <djgf5tkc03i17rfso...@4ax.com>, Steve B wrote:
>On 6 Jan 2001 23:42:09 GMT, do...@junior.apk.net (Domus) wrote in
>alt.tv.red-dwarf:
>
>>In article <936dmk$1op$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, mrgazpacho wrote:
>>>In article
>>><A33757DD4EC447C7.7158F708...@lp.airnews.net>,
>>> kuro...@hotmail.de.spam.com wrote:
>>>
>>>I'm pretty sure the pilots are not "generally" available.
>>>Some USAns may have secret copies, tho...
>>
>>I got one from someone on the newsgroup who was very nice, who I still owe a
>>video of Robot Wars, although I will probably die before I get it to them.
>
>Until you had mentioned it, I had forgotten that you owed me a tape of
>Robot Wars. :)

I hadta open my big stupid mouth, huh? Want money for it instead? I'm still
rather terrified of the basement VCR. It could be worse...I could be afraid
of the computer. Imagine how silly...no...no, mom, mom, really, it's ok. It
won't hurt you. The little bomb just means there's a problem. *sigh*.

Steve B

Jan 7, 2001, 2:19:28 AM1/7/01
On 7 Jan 2001 06:04:44 GMT, do...@junior.apk.net (Domus) wrote in
alt.tv.red-dwarf:

>In article <djgf5tkc03i17rfso...@4ax.com>, Steve B wrote:

<snip>

>>Until you had mentioned it, I had forgotten that you owed me a tape of
>>Robot Wars. :)
>
>I hadta open my big stupid mouth, huh? Want money for it instead?

Don't worry about it. My PBS station has since showed all the
episodes of Robot Wars that you were offering in return, so it's not
like your tape would have anything on it that I haven't already seen.

If I need a favor from you in the future, I'll be sure to remember
this incident, though. :)

Skutter

Jan 7, 2001, 7:23:09 AM1/7/01
do...@junior.apk.net (Domus) , your mother ate my dog!

>In any case, the joke style reminds me a whole lot of 'night court', which
>Linwood Boomer worked on for a time, although I was just Executive Producer.

I just thought I'd note this before anyone else did.

--
VOTE SKUTTER FOR NGPOTY!!!

You've reached Skutter's 2001 Question of the Month!:
Why does cat food never smell like its ingredients?

Domus

Jan 7, 2001, 10:42:02 AM1/7/01
In article <m8ng5tc97i942cdqe...@4ax.com>, Skutter wrote:
>do...@junior.apk.net (Domus) , your mother ate my dog!
>
>>In any case, the joke style reminds me a whole lot of 'night court', which
>>Linwood Boomer worked on for a time, although I was just Executive Producer.
>
>I just thought I'd note this before anyone else did.

I wasn't executive producer, my god, that came out wrong, you can tell my
inner thoughts, eh? 'although it was just as executive producer' is what I
meant. If you'll excuse me, I've got to go crawl under a rock....

Speaking of producers and stuff, is the camera supervisor for series I
related to Paul Jackson? His name is Mike Jackson, I think. Just curious.

garth

Jan 7, 2001, 11:03:07 AM1/7/01

I was going to say "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" but then you said:

> without the humor being ghetto-style.

and I'm reduced to saying "The Cosby show" or even "Another World" :-)

Of course, "Spin City" has a black guy as one of the main cast.. :-)

"Garth"

garth

Jan 7, 2001, 11:04:53 AM1/7/01
Steve B <jakeb...@primary.net> wrote in message
> If I need a favor from you in the future, I'll be sure to remember
> this incident, though. :)

/me gets an instant image of a threesome.

damn, there goes my new years resoloution.

"Garth"- ;-)

SmeggerUK

Jan 7, 2001, 11:24:03 AM1/7/01
On Sun, 7 Jan 2001 16:04:53 -0000, "garth" <ga...@tinyonline.co.uk>
used the laser cannons on the crashed wotsit to say :-

Surely you broke *that* resolution while you were still at your
parents :-P

Sorry, bye, bye, sorry! ;-)
--
Sunday 7th Jan 1901
There is *still* no Ell Jay

SmeggerUK

Jan 7, 2001, 11:25:45 AM1/7/01
On Mon, 08 Jan 2001 01:23:09 +1300, Skutter
<Benton7@***REMOVE-THIS-SPAMBLOCK***xtra.co.nz> used the laser cannons

on the crashed wotsit to say :-

>do...@junior.apk.net (Domus) , your mother ate my dog!

>>In any case, the joke style reminds me a whole lot of 'night court', which
>>Linwood Boomer worked on for a time, although I was just Executive Producer.
>
>I just thought I'd note this before anyone else did.

I saw it but never posted anything, if that matters at all...

..and bloody stop advertising in your sig...NG Prat of the Year is
over! ;-P

Ell Jay

Jan 7, 2001, 11:54:54 AM1/7/01
Skutter wrote:

> --
> VOTE SKUTTER FOR NGPOTY!!!
>
> You've reached Skutter's 2001 Question of the Month!:
> Why does cat food never smell like its ingredients?

And shouldn't this either be the "January 2001" question, or the "2001 Question
of the Year"?

--
LJ4GOM
There is no cat food.

RickC

Jan 7, 2001, 9:50:35 PM1/7/01
"garth" <ga...@tinyonline.co.uk> wrote in message

> Of course, "Spin City" has a black guy as one of the main cast.. :-)
And, he's gay, and attractive.
Wouldn't you agree, SmUK?

--
Skippy, evil "inner gay man" twin of:
Rick Carlson

SmeggerUK

Jan 7, 2001, 10:20:44 PM1/7/01
"RickC" <reddwarf@d-d.c> deered to kill a kings dare, then said...

>"garth" <ga...@tinyonline.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Of course, "Spin City" has a black guy as one of the main cast.. :-)
>And, he's gay, and attractive.
>Wouldn't you agree, SmUK?

Yes, I agree that the black guy plays a gay character...without
playing *too* homophobically on the stereotypes :-)

(yes, I find him funny...and no I don't find him attractive...just
because you're straight, do you find Claire Raynor attractive? Awwww,
but she's female and you're straight, you've got to find her
attractive ;-P)

Okay, so he's not *that* bad...I'd not kick him out of bed :-)

RickC

Jan 7, 2001, 10:40:13 PM1/7/01
"SmeggerUK" <Smeg...@pleaseremovenospam.mailandnews.com> wrote in message

> (yes, I find him funny...and no I don't find him attractive...just
> because you're straight, do you find Claire Raynor attractive? Awwww,
> but she's female and you're straight, you've got to find her
> attractive ;-P)
First, I'd have to find her...

...from http://www.twbooks.co.uk/authors/crayner.html :
About The Author
Claire Raynor is Britain's best-known advice and medical expert. She
originally trained as a nurse at the Royal Northern Hospital, London and
went on to study midwifery at Guy's hospital as well as working at the Royal
Free Hospital and at the Whittington Hospital where she was sister in the
Paediatric Department.
She married in 1957 and turned to writing in 1960 when the birth of her
first child ended her nursing career. She now has three children, Amanda,
Adam and Jay. In 1981 she was admitted to the Freedom of the City of London.
Claire is the author of over ninety books, including a broad range of
medical subjects from sex education for children and adults through to home
nursing, family health and baby and child care, as well as a great deal of
very successful fiction.

Hmm. married in 1957, 8 years before I was born. I do enjoy older women.

--
Jif, cousin of Skippy, evil "inner gay man" twin of:

SmeggerUK

Jan 7, 2001, 11:00:06 PM1/7/01
"RickC" <reddwarf@d-d.c> deered to kill a kings dare, then said...

>Hmm. married in 1957, 8 years before I was born. I do enjoy older women.

I hope you enjoy big women too...she doesn't go to a clothes shop, she
has to hire marquees ;-)

RickC

Jan 7, 2001, 11:11:10 PM1/7/01

> "RickC" <reddwarf@d-d.c> deered to kill a kings dare, then said...
>
> >Hmm. married in 1957, 8 years before I was born. I do enjoy older women.
>
> I hope you enjoy big women too...she doesn't go to a clothes shop, she
> has to hire marquees ;-)
There's so much more of her to love.
Yes, my wife is older and bigger than I am.
But I don't *have* to roll her in flour to find the wet spot.
It's just more fun that way!

SmeggerUK

Jan 7, 2001, 11:27:51 PM1/7/01
"RickC" <reddwarf@d-d.c> deered to kill a kings dare, then said...

>There's so much more of her to love.

>Yes, my wife is older and bigger than I am.

Horses for courses, you like 'em older and I like 'em more mascauline
;-)

>But I don't *have* to roll her in flour to find the wet spot.

I watched "Last boy scout" today, and Bruce Willis says that one ;-)

>It's just more fun that way!

Not for the flour it isn't ;-)

Self-raising, perchance?

RickC

Jan 7, 2001, 11:34:34 PM1/7/01

> Self-raising, perchance?
Something I need no help with, whatsoever!

Raul C. Beltizer

Jan 8, 2001, 12:15:48 AM1/8/01
On Mon, 08 Jan 2001 03:40:13 GMT, "RickC" <reddwarf@d-d.c> wrote:

>"SmeggerUK" <Smeg...@pleaseremovenospam.mailandnews.com> wrote in message
>> (yes, I find him funny...and no I don't find him attractive...just
>> because you're straight, do you find Claire Raynor attractive? Awwww,
>> but she's female and you're straight, you've got to find her
>> attractive ;-P)
>First, I'd have to find her...
>
>...from http://www.twbooks.co.uk/authors/crayner.html :
>About The Author
>Claire Raynor is Britain's best-known advice and medical expert. She
>originally trained as a nurse at the Royal Northern Hospital, London and
>went on to study midwifery at Guy's hospital as well as working at the Royal
>Free Hospital and at the Whittington Hospital where she was sister in the
>Paediatric Department.
>She married in 1957 and turned to writing in 1960 when the birth of her
>first child ended her nursing career. She now has three children, Amanda,
>Adam and Jay. In 1981 she was admitted to the Freedom of the City of London.
>Claire is the author of over ninety books, including a broad range of
>medical subjects from sex education for children and adults through to home
>nursing, family health and baby and child care, as well as a great deal of
>very successful fiction.
>

>Hmm. married in 1957, 8 years before I was born. I do enjoy older women.

Maybe she could help if your inner gay man gets the clap. Where do you
keep your inner gay man, by the way?

RickC

Jan 8, 2001, 12:39:32 AM1/8/01
"Raul C. Beltizer" <raul_b...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On Mon, 08 Jan 2001 03:40:13 GMT, "RickC" <reddwarf@d-d.c> wrote:
> Maybe she could help if your inner gay man gets the clap. Where do you
> keep your inner gay man, by the way?
Well, I don't so much "keep" him as monitor his actions, so I won't be
surprised.
He's quite a guy, you know.
In fact, he's my idol.
Jif, speaking of Skippy, ignoring Rick.

Skutter

Jan 8, 2001, 1:51:04 AM1/8/01
Ell Jay <cot...@sk.sympatico.ca> , your mother ate my dog!

>Skutter wrote:
>
>> --
>> VOTE SKUTTER FOR NGPOTY!!!
>>
>> You've reached Skutter's 2001 Question of the Month!:
>> Why does cat food never smell like its ingredients?
>
>And shouldn't this either be the "January 2001" question, or the "2001 Question
>of the Year"?

Yes... but that might make my .sig too long... :-) Let me try it.

--
VOTE SKUTTER FOR NGPOTY!!!

You've reached Skutter's January 2001 Question of the Month!:

Domus

Jan 8, 2001, 8:33:39 AM1/8/01
In article <3a589...@news2.vip.uk.com>, garth wrote:
>Domus <do...@junior.apk.net> wrote in message
>> exposure he got in the episode, it was like the token minority. It'd just
>be
>> nice to see a comedy show on American TV where a main character is black,
>
>I was going to say "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" but then you said:
>
>> without the humor being ghetto-style.

I liked that show, actually. Will Smith is damn funny regardless of what he
does. He's not done a 'I'm the black guy' film for a while now, although
I've not seen the new one of his. See below for what I mean.

>and I'm reduced to saying "The Cosby show" or even "Another World" :-)

Ugh, that was the 80's, first of all, and it hasta be funny. :) A guy
selling jello is funny, I guess, but not in the way I was looking for.

>Of course, "Spin City" has a black guy as one of the main cast.. :-)

I've not seen that much, actually. It's not like there's no black people in
the sitcom world, it's just that they are generally so there because they
are black, and that's who they are, the black guy. Not the screwy guy, or
the slob, or the gay guy, they're the black guy. Get what I'm saying?

-Domus

--
*The Court: What's the problem?
*The Bailiff: Oh, a cockroach was on the exhibit table, your honor.

Gavin Clayton

Jan 8, 2001, 9:49:41 AM1/8/01
This is what do...@junior.apk.net (Domus) just wrote:

>I've not seen that much, actually. It's not like there's no black people in
>the sitcom world, it's just that they are generally so there because they
>are black, and that's who they are, the black guy. Not the screwy guy, or
>the slob, or the gay guy, they're the black guy. Get what I'm saying?

Yah. The "black guy" has to have subplots about being black. The "gay
guy" has to have subplots about being gay.

If your sitcom doesn't have black or gay characters, the black and gay
communities criticise you for ignoring the fact that they exist. But
if you have black or gay characters in your sitcom, you then have to
*use* the fact that they are black or gay, otherwise they may as well
not be black or gay at all.

So it's quite rare for a programme to have a black guy and never do a
story about his ethnicity. Or to have a gay guy and never mention how
he's gay.

Gavin Clayton

SmeggerUK

Jan 8, 2001, 1:33:40 PM1/8/01
do...@junior.apk.net (Domus) deered to kill a kings dare, then said...

>>I was going to say "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" but then you said:
>>
>>> without the humor being ghetto-style.

>I liked that show, actually. Will Smith is damn funny regardless of what he
>does. He's not done a 'I'm the black guy' film for a while now, although
>I've not seen the new one of his. See below for what I mean.

"Fresh Prince" was a funny show, and Will Smith is pretty good in
almost everything, like you say ;-)

>>and I'm reduced to saying "The Cosby show" or even "Another World" :-)

>Ugh, that was the 80's, first of all, and it hasta be funny. :) A guy
>selling jello is funny, I guess, but not in the way I was looking for.

I liked the Cosby show, and I've never heard of Another World

>>Of course, "Spin City" has a black guy as one of the main cast.. :-)
>
>I've not seen that much, actually. It's not like there's no black people in
>the sitcom world, it's just that they are generally so there because they
>are black, and that's who they are, the black guy. Not the screwy guy, or
>the slob, or the gay guy, they're the black guy. Get what I'm saying?

The Black guy is *also* gay, BTW :-)

Think about this...what if the black guy in *any* show you can think
of was white...would it make a difference to the show or the
character? If not, then he is there as a token part of society, just
like asian characters or chinese characters...they are a part of
society so some of the characters *have* to be black or asian or
chinese...etc. They're not really *token* black characters if you
think about it, because the show is trying to make the characters seem
more realistic, and different races do that ;-)

Going back to the *original* question...the guy who played the Cat
didn't get much exposure in the episode...but nor did DJJ in the first
episode of the *British* RD, so I don't think that's really a problem.
By the same standards, nor did Holly get much of an exposure, it was
all to do with characterisation of Rimmer and Lister and how they work
off of each other.

In later episodes, DJJ came into his own (ooh-er) and became a
well-rounded character of his own. For instance, 2 episodes later we
get the "how am I looking?....good!" then he walks 2-3 steps and
stops, then says "How am I looking now?"...and has since changed a
lot, fitting in with how the show has progressed.

And who can forget the fact that in "Dimension Jump" they had
originally written DJJ in to play a janitor but someone complained
about "positive black role models" and they had to change his
character to a more positive one...what has this got to do with it?
How can we have original black characters when people want "positive
black role models" and stuff like that? Although, on the flip side, I
think that *has* changed a bit now.

Actually, I can name a number of shows with good black characters, one
of which starred in RD as "Binks" in Holoship (Don Warrington) ;-)

...I just won't ;-P

...okay, I will

Married with Children, the shoe shop owner.

Rising Damp, as a tenant with a very racist landlord. This show is
well known for its race issues as well, and was forward for its time
;-)

As already said, Spin City with the black gay guy

Dare I continue? :-)

Domus

Jan 8, 2001, 2:57:27 PM1/8/01

Err, no, I think you've got it all wrong. By that standard Lister would be a
token black dude. A 'token' character is one who is minor, first of all.
Secondly, he can be different than he would be than if he were white. What
makes him 'token' is that he isn't important, and that he acts more or less
like everyone expects him to.

In a wierd way, it's the culture that people are trying to include by
including the skin color. People would be annoyed if it were a very 'white
acting' black man, for some reason. And yet I don't see anything wrong with
a black guy who doesn't talk ghetto. Ghetto annoys me. Maybe I'm a racist,
but I don't think that's the word. A culturalist, perhaps.

It's just that to me people who make a big deal out of the phrase
'african-american' tends to mean someone who thinks that the entire world
always gives them the short end simply because they are black, and
dislikes me because I'm not from the same place they are. And yet I know
most black people are not like that at all! But anyone who goes around
making a deal about the fact that they are black gets on my nerves. Yes,
things are unequal here. No, it's not fair. But you're not gonna get stuff
to change by constantly pointing out the differences. Life is unfair and
unjust. Live with it. I wouldn't have been fired from my last job if I was a
man, but I bitch that the firing was silly, not that people treat me
different....

Sorry if I've been offensive at all... I don't mean to be. I'm just a little
tired of the American view of things. RL commented on this when he wrote Man
in the Rubber Mask, to get back to the point. It's like everyone is so
afraid of being offensive to anyone else, they're scared to say things. You
can call someone a fucking asshole, and that's fine, but if you call them a
midget instead of saying they're vertically challanged, you're prejudiced.
Anywhoo...

>Going back to the *original* question...the guy who played the Cat
>didn't get much exposure in the episode...but nor did DJJ in the first
>episode of the *British* RD, so I don't think that's really a problem.
>By the same standards, nor did Holly get much of an exposure, it was
>all to do with characterisation of Rimmer and Lister and how they work
>off of each other.

Erm, ok, I'll give you that, but Cat at least developed a bit of a
character, and had a few minutes discussing him, if not him talking
directly. Somehow that was lost in the USA pilot. I guess we'd have to see.
Cat really is only a step up in character from Holly. In fact, he's almost a
step down. Anywho...

>In later episodes, DJJ came into his own (ooh-er) and became a
>well-rounded character of his own. For instance, 2 episodes later we
>get the "how am I looking?....good!" then he walks 2-3 steps and
>stops, then says "How am I looking now?"...and has since changed a
>lot, fitting in with how the show has progressed.

Well, I think he's changed for the worse. He's not a Cat anymore, he's just
a one dimensional fashion nut. But in any case...

>And who can forget the fact that in "Dimension Jump" they had
>originally written DJJ in to play a janitor but someone complained
>about "positive black role models" and they had to change his
>character to a more positive one...what has this got to do with it?
>How can we have original black characters when people want "positive
>black role models" and stuff like that? Although, on the flip side, I
>think that *has* changed a bit now.

Dibbley is supposed to be positive? Gimmie a break, he's a total nerd. :)
Lister is a positive role model. Sure, he might be a slob, but he's got real
heart. He acts stupid because he's stupid, not because he's black. CC as
Lister is incredibly sexy too, although I'm not sure if he's supposed to be
like that. In any case, I can't imagine any little black kid saying he
wanted to grow up to be like Duane, but Lister, sure.

LunaMorena

Jan 8, 2001, 3:35:51 PM1/8/01

On 8 Jan 2001 19:57:27 GMT, Domus wrote:

> Dibbley is supposed to be positive? Gimmie a break, he's a total nerd. :)
> Lister is a positive role model. Sure, he might be a slob, but he's got real
> heart. He acts stupid because he's stupid, not because he's black. CC as
> Lister is incredibly sexy too, although I'm not sure if he's supposed to be
> like that. In any case, I can't imagine any little black kid saying he
> wanted to grow up to be like Duane, but Lister, sure.

You're thinking of "Back to Reality," not "Dimension Jump." In DJ he was the
engineer, remember?

--
Sierra Kempster, http://www.lunamorena.net/
Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of checks.

SmeggerUK

Jan 8, 2001, 3:43:55 PM1/8/01
do...@junior.apk.net (Domus) deered to kill a kings dare, then said...

>In article <rp0k5t89bo6bfkd7h...@4ax.com>, SmeggerUK wrote:

>Err, no, I think you've got it all wrong. By that standard Lister would be a
>token black dude. A 'token' character is one who is minor, first of all.

In a way, yes...but I think they chose a black man for a specific
reason...OTOH they didn't set out to choose a black man for Lister's
part so maybe not ;-)

<SNIP>

>In a wierd way, it's the culture that people are trying to include by
>including the skin color. People would be annoyed if it were a very 'white
>acting' black man, for some reason. And yet I don't see anything wrong with
>a black guy who doesn't talk ghetto. Ghetto annoys me. Maybe I'm a racist,
>but I don't think that's the word. A culturalist, perhaps.

Ghetto talk annoys me if spoken by a white man. If you've heard (or
seen...I've got the vid, I d/l it from iMesh :-)) "Offspring - Pretty
fly for a white guy" you will know what I mean. I grew up with kids
like that...more black than their black friends, and they only did it
to fit in...still looked like prats though ;-)

<SNIP>

>No, it's not fair. But you're not gonna get stuff
>to change by constantly pointing out the differences. Life is unfair and
>unjust. Live with it

The only way things will change is if people ignore the differences
and try to get along together. Last night I watched this film called
"Soul Man" (very funny in places, and *really* shows the problems with
racism and people's attitudes to other races) and I recommend you
watch it. It's very basic and possibly a little OTT with the points,
but I would say it is interesting at least to see it from this
perspective.

>I wouldn't have been fired from my last job if I was a
>man, but I bitch that the firing was silly, not that people treat me
>different....

You wouldn't have been fired from your last job if you wore underwear
;-P

>Sorry if I've been offensive at all... I don't mean to be.

You were offensive IMO

>I'm just a little tired of the American view of things.

We all are, now shaddup ;-)

>RL commented on this when he wrote Man
>in the Rubber Mask, to get back to the point. It's like everyone is so
>afraid of being offensive to anyone else, they're scared to say things. You
>can call someone a fucking asshole, and that's fine,

I dunno what school *you* went to but... ;-)

> but if you call them a midget instead of saying they're vertically
> challanged, you're prejudiced.

You're talking political correctness now, and that's a whole different
pot of anchovies :-)

>>Going back to the *original* question...the guy who played the Cat
>>didn't get much exposure in the episode...but nor did DJJ in the first
>>episode of the *British* RD, so I don't think that's really a problem.
>>By the same standards, nor did Holly get much of an exposure, it was
>>all to do with characterisation of Rimmer and Lister and how they work
>>off of each other.

>Erm, ok, I'll give you that, but Cat at least developed a bit of a
>character,

Yes, a very little bit of a character...he was more characterised in
later eps

>and had a few minutes discussing him, if not him talking directly

I've not seen the RD-USA so I couldn't comment on it

>Somehow that was lost in the USA pilot. I guess we'd have to see.
>Cat really is only a step up in character from Holly. In fact, he's almost a
>step down. Anywho...

I'd say that he's a step up, but only just

>>In later episodes, DJJ came into his own (ooh-er) and became a
>>well-rounded character of his own. For instance, 2 episodes later we
>>get the "how am I looking?....good!" then he walks 2-3 steps and
>>stops, then says "How am I looking now?"...and has since changed a
>>lot, fitting in with how the show has progressed.

>Well, I think he's changed for the worse. He's not a Cat anymore, he's just
>a one dimensional fashion nut. But in any case...

He never really was a purring feline though, was he...underneath it
all he's *from* cats, but he's an aspiring human being now. Just like
if a human lives with apes for a long time they learn to be like the
apes, Cat has done the same with these ape-descendents ;-)

>>And who can forget the fact that in "Dimension Jump" they had
>>originally written DJJ in to play a janitor but someone complained
>>about "positive black role models" and they had to change his
>>character to a more positive one...what has this got to do with it?
>>How can we have original black characters when people want "positive
>>black role models" and stuff like that? Although, on the flip side, I
>>think that *has* changed a bit now.

>Dibbley is supposed to be positive? Gimmie a break, he's a total nerd. :)

Like I said, I think that has changed since. Dibbley was also to do
with Cat without his cool so they could get away with that ;-)

>Lister is a positive role model. Sure, he might be a slob, but he's got real
>heart.

He's also got a lot of stuff that people don't see in him. If you've
read the novels, you will know that he *wanted* to be put into stasis
and took the picture specifically so it would be found, even bought a
pedigree cat to ensure it was safe to bring aboard the ship :-)

> He acts stupid because he's stupid, not because he's black.

But he's not stupid, he just acts it. According to the novel, he
didn't want to actually be part of the Red Dwarf in the first place,
he signed up for it while drunk.

>CC as Lister is incredibly sexy too, although I'm not sure if he's
>supposed to be like that.

Whatever floats your boat...personally, I don't see the attraction...

...I don't see the attraction with KK either tho ;-)

>In any case, I can't imagine any little black kid saying he
>wanted to grow up to be like Duane, but Lister, sure.

I'm sure there's some chartered accountant's son out there who would
love to aspire to (pushes glasses up nose) Duane Dibbley :-)
--
Monday 8th January 1901
Ell Jay mystery deepens, as distraught (and interested in fame) housewife in Texas, Col., claims she saw Ell Jay...She also claims he was with Elvis and the tooth fairy.

SmeggerUK

Jan 8, 2001, 3:54:41 PM1/8/01
nos...@lunamorena.net (LunaMorena) deered to kill a kings dare, then
said...

>You're thinking of "Back to Reality," not "Dimension Jump." In DJ he was the
>engineer, remember?

I think that she was talking *overall*, luna...

...besides, *CC* played the engineer, and DJJ was the priest

LunaMorena

Jan 8, 2001, 4:26:49 PM1/8/01
On Mon, 08 Jan 2001 20:54:41 +0000, SmeggerUK wrote:
> nos...@lunamorena.net (LunaMorena) deered to kill a kings dare, then
> said...
>
> >You're thinking of "Back to Reality," not "Dimension Jump." In DJ he was the
> >engineer, remember?
>
> I think that she was talking *overall*, luna...

like getting the episodes crossed to me

> ...besides, *CC* played the engineer, and DJJ was the priest

My bad... that's what I get for posting so early in the morning.
(Okay, yeah, it wasn't THAT early but I don't do mornings, durnit!)

--
Sierra Kempster, http://www.lunamorena.net/

Please use "Reply-To" when sending email.
Sticks and stones may brake my bones but whips and chains excite me.

SmeggerUK

Jan 8, 2001, 4:25:10 PM1/8/01
nos...@lunamorena.net (LunaMorena) deered to kill a kings dare, then
said...
>On Mon, 08 Jan 2001 20:54:41 +0000, SmeggerUK wrote:

>like getting the episodes crossed to me

Yeah, but we were talking generally about positive black role models,
so it is safe to assume she brought up Duane to show a negative role
model ;-)

>> ...besides, *CC* played the engineer, and DJJ was the priest
>
>My bad... that's what I get for posting so early in the morning.
>(Okay, yeah, it wasn't THAT early but I don't do mornings, durnit!)

Yeah, who's together by then? You can still taste the toothpaste!

garth

Jan 8, 2001, 4:35:11 PM1/8/01
RickC <reddwarf@d-d.c> wrote in message

> "garth" <ga...@tinyonline.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Of course, "Spin City" has a black guy as one of the main cast.. :-)
> And, he's gay, and attractive.

That's not reallt the point is it? :-)

> Wouldn't you agree, SmUK?

*snigger*

"Garth"

garth

Jan 8, 2001, 4:41:25 PM1/8/01
SmeggerUK <Smeg...@pleaseremovenospam.mailandnews.com> wrote in

> do...@junior.apk.net (Domus) deered to kill a kings dare, then said...
> >I liked that show, actually. Will Smith is damn funny regardless of what
he
> >does. He's not done a 'I'm the black guy' film for a while now, although
> >I've not seen the new one of his. See below for what I mean.
> "Fresh Prince" was a funny show, and Will Smith is pretty good in
> almost everything, like you say ;-)

Interestingly, his first role was as a gay kid.

> >Ugh, that was the 80's, first of all, and it hasta be funny. :) A guy
> >selling jello is funny, I guess, but not in the way I was looking for.
> I liked the Cosby show, and I've never heard of Another World

Another World. Sequel and Spin Off from the Cosby show, mainly 'cause it
started the two oldest Cosby's.. IIRC.

> Married with Children, the shoe shop owner.

hehehe.. that show was kinda funny.

> Dare I continue? :-)

naa.

"Garth" - Only Fools and Horses.

LunaMorena

Jan 8, 2001, 4:46:09 PM1/8/01
On Mon, 08 Jan 2001 21:25:10 +0000, SmeggerUK wrote:

> >My bad... that's what I get for posting so early in the morning.
> >(Okay, yeah, it wasn't THAT early but I don't do mornings, durnit!)
>
> Yeah, who's together by then? You can still taste the toothpaste!

Give me some credit... at least it was morning. ;)

--
Sierra Kempster, http://www.lunamorena.net/
Please use "Reply-To" when sending email.

Jesus Saves ... Passes to Moses. Shoots... He SCORES!

SmeggerUK

Jan 8, 2001, 5:49:32 PM1/8/01
"garth" <ga...@tinyonline.co.uk> deered to kill a kings dare, then

said...
>SmeggerUK <Smeg...@pleaseremovenospam.mailandnews.com> wrote in
>> do...@junior.apk.net (Domus) deered to kill a kings dare, then said...
>> >I liked that show, actually. Will Smith is damn funny regardless of what
>he
>> >does. He's not done a 'I'm the black guy' film for a while now, although
>> >I've not seen the new one of his. See below for what I mean.
>> "Fresh Prince" was a funny show, and Will Smith is pretty good in
>> almost everything, like you say ;-)
>
>Interestingly, his first role was as a gay kid.

I don't remember this...'twas probably too far back for me ;-)
<SNIP>

>"Garth" - Only Fools and Horses.

Your sex life? ;-)

Yeah, that had whasisface, the guy who starred in the Full Monty...he
was funny :-)

Kryten

Jan 8, 2001, 6:48:16 PM1/8/01

> >> "Fresh Prince" was a funny show, and Will Smith is pretty good in
> >> almost everything, like you say ;-)
> >
> >Interestingly, his first role was as a gay kid.
>
> I don't remember this...'twas probably too far back for me ;-)

6 degrees of separation... I think. I've seen it, quite a good film.

Kryten

Max

Jan 8, 2001, 7:28:09 PM1/8/01
In message ID (<rp0k5t89bo6bfkd7h...@4ax.com>)
SmeggerUK <Smeg...@pleaseremovenospam.mailandnews.com> said:

>And who can forget the fact that in "Dimension Jump" they had
>originally written DJJ in to play a janitor but someone complained
>about "positive black role models" and they had to change his
>character to a more positive one...what has this got to do with it?

To forget it you'd first have to know it. Where did you get that
information? I've never heard it and if it's true I'd have expected to
hear something about it. I'm having trouble thinking of a viable
source that could have come from that I'd have missed.

--
No sig here

AJ Rimmer

Jan 8, 2001, 7:23:30 PM1/8/01
You just had my mum? Gavin Clayton <gav...@eidosnet.co.uk>and mother...It's
a dream come true.

wrote in message news:prij5t0v4e0diatse...@4ax.com...

> Or to have a gay guy and never mention how he's gay.
>
> Gavin Clayton

There are different ways to be gay?

AJ

SmeggerUK

Jan 8, 2001, 7:21:04 PM1/8/01
"AJ Rimmer" <res0...@gte.net> is a total total complete and utter
total...a word is yet to be invented to describe how whatever it is
"AJ Rimmer" <res0...@gte.net> is, but "AJ Rimmer" <res0...@gte.net>
is one, and a total total one at that...

>There are different ways to be gay?

Yeah...Femme, Butch, Active, Passive...or Mr Motivator ;-)

--
Monday 8th January 1901
Ell Jay mystery deepens, as distraught (and interested

in fame) housewife in Texas claims she saw Ell Jay...

SmeggerUK

Jan 8, 2001, 7:26:46 PM1/8/01
Max <m...@hawkida.com> is a total total complete and utter total...a
word is yet to be invented to describe how whatever it is Max
<m...@hawkida.com> is, but Max <m...@hawkida.com> is one, and a total
total one at that...

>In message ID (<rp0k5t89bo6bfkd7h...@4ax.com>)

Now I admit I've said crap about the RD Programme guide before (about
them being wrong about tons of stuff) but this is apparently from Rob
Grant himself...

"'I remember there was a furore' says Rob Grant, 'about who the
characters would play in Ace's dimension. Originally we'd written
Danny as a really slobby cleaner, which we thought was funny - but
then there was a big argument about positive black role models, which
I found infuriating. I mean, Red Dwarf does have two black characters
in it, and we never make a mention of it, and I think that's the way
it should be. We didn't hire them for their colour and we don't make
any play of it at all - so it annoyed me, really, that we had this
thing about negative role models when we'd been presenting positive
role models for so long.'"

AJ Rimmer

Jan 8, 2001, 7:36:47 PM1/8/01
You just had my dad? SmeggerUK and father...It's a dream come true.

wrote in message news:ei8k5to9udlg1riqe...@4ax.com...

> do...@junior.apk.net (Domus) deered to kill a kings dare, then said...

<SNIP>

> The only way things will change is if people ignore the differences
> and try to get along together. Last night I watched this film called
> "Soul Man" (very funny in places, and *really* shows the problems with
> racism and people's attitudes to other races) and I recommend you
> watch it. It's very basic and possibly a little OTT with the points,
> but I would say it is interesting at least to see it from this
> perspective.

Now see, I see another side of "Soul Man". I think it's the "white" persons
view of how they think black people feel. I liked the movie, and the acting
was good, but I wouldn't say it "really" shows the problems.

> >Somehow that was lost in the USA pilot. I guess we'd have to see.
> >Cat really is only a step up in character from Holly. In fact, he's
almost a
> >step down. Anywho...
>
> I'd say that he's a step up, but only just
>
> >>In later episodes, DJJ came into his own (ooh-er) and became a
> >>well-rounded character of his own. For instance, 2 episodes later we
> >>get the "how am I looking?....good!" then he walks 2-3 steps and
> >>stops, then says "How am I looking now?"...and has since changed a
> >>lot, fitting in with how the show has progressed.
>
> >Well, I think he's changed for the worse. He's not a Cat anymore, he's
just
> >a one dimensional fashion nut. But in any case...

I know that it was either the Cat or Holly who were supposed to go, and they
chose the Cat to stay. I think in the first episodes he was more "cat
like", and over the other episodes, they have dumbed him down unfortunately.
But as for him being less "cat like". Imagine how much "you like" you'd be
if you spend 5-6 years with Lister and Rimmer.

And for the rest of it, I'd have to agree with SmUK.

AJ

SmeggerUK

Jan 8, 2001, 7:57:50 PM1/8/01
Happy deathday to "AJ Rimmer" <res0...@gte.net>...

>You just had my dad? SmeggerUK and father...It's a dream come true.
>> do...@junior.apk.net (Domus) deered to kill a kings dare, then said...
>>
><SNIP>
>>
>> The only way things will change is if people ignore the differences
>> and try to get along together. Last night I watched this film called
>> "Soul Man" (very funny in places, and *really* shows the problems with
>> racism and people's attitudes to other races) and I recommend you
>> watch it. It's very basic and possibly a little OTT with the points,
>> but I would say it is interesting at least to see it from this
>> perspective.
>>
>Now see, I see another side of "Soul Man". I think it's the "white" persons
>view of how they think black people feel. I liked the movie, and the acting
>was good, but I wouldn't say it "really" shows the problems.

In a way, it *is* a white person's view of how they think black people
feel...but I'm sure James Earl Jones *must* have helped a little with
it ;-)

I think if you analyse it right you could see both sides of the
argument in the film...there were a few whte overtones in there (as if
it was a white person's thought)...the bit where he goes into the lift
and the old lady moves her handbag away being one ;-)

But there are also a number of black overtones to it too...I'm no
expert on race tho...I'm white ;-)

>> >Well, I think he's changed for the worse. He's not a Cat anymore, he's
>just
>> >a one dimensional fashion nut. But in any case...
>
>I know that it was either the Cat or Holly who were supposed to go, and they
>chose the Cat to stay. I think in the first episodes he was more "cat
>like", and over the other episodes, they have dumbed him down unfortunately.
>But as for him being less "cat like". Imagine how much "you like" you'd be
>if you spend 5-6 years with Lister and Rimmer.

I dunno...both the Cat and Holly have evolved a little...and both are
still here at the end of it all. The Cat has chosen to try to "get
with" the rest of them because he wouldn't survive alone...the cat
priest is dead, remember...he was probably the last of them besides
the Cat himself

>And for the rest of it, I'd have to agree with SmUK.

Can't argue with that ;-)

Can't believe someone's actually said it either ;-)

--
Monday 8th January 1901
Ell Jay mystery deepens, as distraught (and interested

in fame) housewife in Texas claims she saw Ell Jay...

AJ Rimmer

Jan 8, 2001, 8:29:30 PM1/8/01

You just had my mum? and mother...It's a dream come true.

> Happy deathday to "AJ Rimmer" <res0...@gte.net>...

hee hee ;-)

> I think if you analyse it right you could see both sides of the
> argument in the film...there were a few whte overtones in there (as if
> it was a white person's thought)...the bit where he goes into the lift
> and the old lady moves her handbag away being one ;-)
>
> But there are also a number of black overtones to it too...I'm no
> expert on race tho...I'm white ;-)

Agreed on both counts.

> >I know that it was either the Cat or Holly who were supposed to go, and
they
> >chose the Cat to stay. I think in the first episodes he was more "cat
> >like", and over the other episodes, they have dumbed him down
unfortunately.
> >But as for him being less "cat like". Imagine how much "you like" you'd
be
> >if you spend 5-6 years with Lister and Rimmer.
>
> I dunno...both the Cat and Holly have evolved a little...and both are
> still here at the end of it all. The Cat has chosen to try to "get
> with" the rest of them because he wouldn't survive alone...the cat
> priest is dead, remember...he was probably the last of them besides
> the Cat himself
>
> >And for the rest of it, I'd have to agree with SmUK.
>
> Can't argue with that ;-)
>
> Can't believe someone's actually said it either ;-)

Yeah, Cat is more smart and more of a "one for all" type character now. But
they never make notice of the fact that there was a group of cat people
living on RD so what was Holly doing all that time. How did they live etc.,
After the first 3 episodes with the exception of a brief mention in
Holoship, the cat race is pretty much a mute point. The one episode I
fully FULLY do not understand is "Confidence and Paranoia". In it, Rimmer
actually showed concerned about Lister. He went to get Cat to help him get
Lister to the medi-bay. Cat on the other hand was happier to play with his
Chicken Marengo. Oh..uh...that kinda sorta is like the confidence and
paranoia huh...Rimmer = Confidence (helping Lister get better) Cat =
Paranoia (rather do anything else but help). Or am I reading too much into
that?

And yah, I actually agree with you and admit it. Don't let it go to your
head though.

AJ

SmeggerUK

Jan 8, 2001, 8:42:53 PM1/8/01
Happy deathday to "AJ Rimmer" <res0...@gte.net>...
>SmeggerUK <Smeg...@pleaseremovenospam.mailandnews.com> wrote in message
>> Happy deathday to "AJ Rimmer" <res0...@gte.net>...

>hee hee ;-)

Well, my other intro was too long...it took up 3 lines ;-)

<SNIP>

>>>I know that it was either the Cat or Holly who were supposed to go, and
>>>they chose the Cat to stay. I think in the first episodes he was more "cat
>>>like", and over the other episodes, they have dumbed him down
>>>unfortunately. But as for him being less "cat like". Imagine how much
>>>"you like" you'd be if you spend 5-6 years with Lister and Rimmer.
>>
>> I dunno...both the Cat and Holly have evolved a little...and both are
>> still here at the end of it all. The Cat has chosen to try to "get
>> with" the rest of them because he wouldn't survive alone...the cat
>> priest is dead, remember...he was probably the last of them besides
>> the Cat himself

>>>And for the rest of it, I'd have to agree with SmUK.
>>
>> Can't argue with that ;-)
>
>> Can't believe someone's actually said it either ;-)

> Yeah, Cat is more smart and more of a "one for all" type character
> now. But they never make notice of the fact that there was a group
> of cat people living on RD so what was Holly doing all that time.

Do you remember in Waiting for God, Lister goes into the air ducts and
can't reach Holly any more? That explains why Holly didn't know about
the cat race...

...of course, he is asked about the cat race in an ep and he seems to
know a lot, but he could always have worked it out from cat books :-)

> How did they live etc.,

this is sorta discussed in one of the books, IIRC...they live on the
plentiful supplies on RD

> After the first 3 episodes with the exception of a brief mention in
> Holoship, the cat race is pretty much a mute point.

The word you're looking for is "moot" point...just thought I'd mention
that like I am wont to do :-)

> The one episode I fully FULLY do not understand is "Confidence
> and Paranoia". In it, Rimmer actually showed concerned about Lister.

Yeah, for someone who knows nothing of RD I would find a thought like
that understandable...but you know more than that...you know that
underneath it all Rimmer doesn't hate Lister, and Lister doesn't hate
Rimmer...they live with each other, they work together, it's just that
they can't stand each other. Underneath it all they are fine with
each other really, so Rimmer *would* want to help Lister...Lister
would do the same thing in return, I'm sure

> He went to get Cat to help him get Lister to the medi-bay. Cat on the
> other hand was happier to play with his Chicken Marengo.

Cat is a vain and self-centred creature. I order you to go and listen
to "Eddie Izzard - Pavlov's cat", which will tell you all you need to
know about cats

"I ring bell, cat fucks off...*I* eat food"
"I go to ring bell, cat has nicked the ringer"

Cat, in that episode anyway (and in the early series), is like that.
In later episodes he develops a kinship with the rest of the crew,
just like lions stay in prides and fight together, watching each
other's backs ;-)

> Oh..uh...that kinda sorta is like the confidence and
> paranoia huh...Rimmer = Confidence (helping Lister get better)
> Cat = Paranoia (rather do anything else but help).

Possibly, yeah

> Or am I reading too much into that?

Definitely yeah! :-)

> And yah, I actually agree with you and admit it. Don't let it go
> to your head though.

Question is, was it you or your inner gay man who agreed with me...and
if the latter, please don't talk about head ;-)

AJ Rimmer

Jan 8, 2001, 9:52:03 PM1/8/01
SmeggerUK leaned really close and whispered this secret to me....
wrote in message news:jgqk5to553v6m8ls5...@4ax.com...
<snippy snip>

> > Yeah, Cat is more smart and more of a "one for all" type character
> > now. But they never make notice of the fact that there was a group
> > of cat people living on RD so what was Holly doing all that time.
>
> Do you remember in Waiting for God, Lister goes into the air ducts and
> can't reach Holly any more? That explains why Holly didn't know about
> the cat race...
>
> ...of course, he is asked about the cat race in an ep and he seems to
> know a lot, but he could always have worked it out from cat books :-)

See this is what I wasn't understanding...Holly couldn't hear Lister, but
Holly knew about the cat people.

> > The one episode I fully FULLY do not understand is "Confidence
> > and Paranoia". In it, Rimmer actually showed concerned about Lister.

Could you confuse me a little here please.

> Yeah, for someone who knows nothing of RD I would find a thought like
> that understandable...

Oh you did okay.

>but you know more than that...you know that
> underneath it all Rimmer doesn't hate Lister, and Lister doesn't hate
> Rimmer...they live with each other, they work together, it's just that
> they can't stand each other. Underneath it all they are fine with
> each other really, so Rimmer *would* want to help Lister...Lister
> would do the same thing in return, I'm sure
>
> > He went to get Cat to help him get Lister to the medi-bay. Cat on the
> > other hand was happier to play with his Chicken Marengo.
>
> Cat is a vain and self-centred creature. I order you to go and listen
> to "Eddie Izzard - Pavlov's cat", which will tell you all you need to
> know about cats

Your ordering me to go and listen to "Eddie Izzard - Pavlov's cat"? You
threw the stick fetch it yourself!
<Snip Rimmer confidence and Cat paranoia >

> > And yah, I actually agree with you and admit it. Don't let it go
> > to your head though.
>
> Question is, was it you or your inner gay man who agreed with me...

Well, it was I to tell you the truth. But IGM helped my type hence the
"mute point".

> and if the latter, please don't talk about head ;-)

Are ya that shy about this torrid love affair??!?!?!

AJ & JA

SmeggerUK

Jan 8, 2001, 10:06:05 PM1/8/01
Happy deathday to "AJ Rimmer" <res0...@gte.net>...
>SmeggerUK leaned really close and whispered this secret to me....
>wrote in message news:jgqk5to553v6m8ls5...@4ax.com...
><snippy snip>
>
>> Do you remember in Waiting for God, Lister goes into the air ducts and
>> can't reach Holly any more? That explains why Holly didn't know about
>> the cat race...
>>
>> ...of course, he is asked about the cat race in an ep and he seems to
>> know a lot, but he could always have worked it out from cat books :-)
>
>See this is what I wasn't understanding...Holly couldn't hear Lister, but
>Holly knew about the cat people.

Certain parts of the ship are monitored by Holly, the vents and ducts
not being part of this...but the cat people did venture out of their
vents for food...from the RD supply floors, and this is where I would
say Holly found out about them ;-)

>> > The one episode I fully FULLY do not understand is "Confidence
>> > and Paranoia". In it, Rimmer actually showed concerned about Lister.

>Could you confuse me a little here please.

Sure

>> Yeah, for someone who knows nothing of RD I would find a thought like
>> that understandable...
>
>Oh you did okay.

I was just trying to be jokey...I was saying that you are acting like
you see the characters two-dimensionally, you don't see the inner
friendship between Rimmer and Lister...that they *are* okay with each
other underneath all the spite and stuff :-)

>> > He went to get Cat to help him get Lister to the medi-bay. Cat on the
>> > other hand was happier to play with his Chicken Marengo.
>>
>> Cat is a vain and self-centred creature. I order you to go and listen
>> to "Eddie Izzard - Pavlov's cat", which will tell you all you need to
>> know about cats
>
>Your ordering me to go and listen to "Eddie Izzard - Pavlov's cat"? You
>threw the stick fetch it yourself!

Yeah, it's similar to that bit...now go get it and listen to it...it's
in your interests to understand how cats work...

...and Eddie Izzard is very funny too!

><Snip Rimmer confidence and Cat paranoia >
>> > And yah, I actually agree with you and admit it. Don't let it go
>> > to your head though.
>>
>> Question is, was it you or your inner gay man who agreed with me...

>Well, it was I to tell you the truth. But IGM helped my type hence the
>"mute point".

"moot" point!

>> and if the latter, please don't talk about head ;-)
>
>Are ya that shy about this torrid love affair??!?!?!

Well I'll be blowed, you think I'm the shy type?

Yes, yes I am, but it depends on who I'm with ;-)

I'm nothing like this IRL when I first meet with someone, but I get
less shy over time (never usually as bad as I am online tho ;-))

AJ Rimmer

Jan 8, 2001, 10:33:02 PM1/8/01
SmeggerUK in an epiphany of incurable wisdom

wrote in message news:rnvk5to9h97qa3nth...@4ax.com...

> Happy deathday to "AJ Rimmer" <res0...@gte.net>...
> >SmeggerUK leaned really close and whispered this secret to me....
> >wrote in message news:jgqk5to553v6m8ls5...@4ax.com...
> ><snippy snip>
>

> I was just trying to be jokey...I was saying that you are acting like
> you see the characters two-dimensionally, you don't see the inner
> friendship between Rimmer and Lister...that they *are* okay with each
> other underneath all the spite and stuff :-)

Nah, I don't see them as two dimensional. I see their inner friendship, I
was just saying that it was nice to see it happen. That, you usually don't
see Rimmer being nice to Lister. And when he is nice, he's usually soused.

> >> Cat is a vain and self-centred creature. I order you to go and listen
> >> to "Eddie Izzard - Pavlov's cat", which will tell you all you need to
> >> know about cats
> >
> >Your ordering me to go and listen to "Eddie Izzard - Pavlov's cat"? You
> >threw the stick fetch it yourself!
>
> Yeah, it's similar to that bit...now go get it and listen to it...it's
> in your interests to understand how cats work...
>
> ...and Eddie Izzard is very funny too!

There you go ordering me around again. I don't see SmeggerUK's love slave
stenciled on my forehead.

> >Are ya that shy about this torrid love affair??!?!?!
>
> Well I'll be blowed,

You're seeing someone elses IGM behind my ISP?!?!?!

> you think I'm the shy type?

Yes IRL I bet you are at first.

> Yes, yes I am, but it depends on who I'm with ;-)

see what did I tell ya!

> I'm nothing like this IRL when I first meet with someone, but I get
> less shy over time (never usually as bad as I am online tho ;-))

Told you. And you didn't think I knew you so well.

AJ
----
Do you have any idea how taxing it is to console your inner gay man after
finding out the love of his life could be having an affair?

Domus

Jan 9, 2001, 9:34:31 AM1/9/01
In article <ei8k5to9udlg1riqe...@4ax.com>, SmeggerUK wrote:
>do...@junior.apk.net (Domus) deered to kill a kings dare, then said...
>
>>In article <rp0k5t89bo6bfkd7h...@4ax.com>, SmeggerUK wrote:
>
>>Err, no, I think you've got it all wrong. By that standard Lister would be a
>>token black dude. A 'token' character is one who is minor, first of all.
>
>In a way, yes...but I think they chose a black man for a specific
>reason...OTOH they didn't set out to choose a black man for Lister's
>part so maybe not ;-)

They didn't even choose a MAN for Lister's part, really, did they? I mean,
was the audition open to women as well? In any case, that's kind of what I'm
saying, that it's never been written from the point of Lister being
black, and that makes it more enjoyable. Not that I don't mind characters
who are very 'black' in mannerisms, it's just concentrating on it is getting
really tiring...

>>In a wierd way, it's the culture that people are trying to include by
>>including the skin color. People would be annoyed if it were a very 'white
>>acting' black man, for some reason. And yet I don't see anything wrong with
>>a black guy who doesn't talk ghetto. Ghetto annoys me. Maybe I'm a racist,
>>but I don't think that's the word. A culturalist, perhaps.
>
>Ghetto talk annoys me if spoken by a white man. If you've heard (or
>seen...I've got the vid, I d/l it from iMesh :-)) "Offspring - Pretty
>fly for a white guy" you will know what I mean. I grew up with kids
>like that...more black than their black friends, and they only did it
>to fit in...still looked like prats though ;-)

Well, like black kids do it for any different reason? It's a combination of
being raised around it, and doing it to look cool, that's the reason pretty
much everyone does everything, innit?

>>I wouldn't have been fired from my last job if I was a
>>man, but I bitch that the firing was silly, not that people treat me
>>different....
>
>You wouldn't have been fired from your last job if you wore underwear
>;-P

Well, I must contest that. Do you think it'd be a big deal if a man didn't
wear undies? Besides, if a guy with 5 facial pircings is more acceptable
than a woman who doesn't wear panties, I don't wanna live in this world.

>>RL commented on this when he wrote Man
>>in the Rubber Mask, to get back to the point. It's like everyone is so
>>afraid of being offensive to anyone else, they're scared to say things. You
>>can call someone a fucking asshole, and that's fine,
>
>I dunno what school *you* went to but... ;-)

What schools, plural. I've been enrolled in and kicked out of half the
schools in the city. :) :)

>> but if you call them a midget instead of saying they're vertically
>> challanged, you're prejudiced.
>
>You're talking political correctness now, and that's a whole different
>pot of anchovies :-)

Well, but isn't including someone because of their color or sexual
orientation just the network trying to be PC?

>>Well, I think he's changed for the worse. He's not a Cat anymore, he's just
>>a one dimensional fashion nut. But in any case...
>
>He never really was a purring feline though, was he...underneath it
>all he's *from* cats, but he's an aspiring human being now. Just like
>if a human lives with apes for a long time they learn to be like the
>apes, Cat has done the same with these ape-descendents ;-)

Ok, fine, but he's just vanity personified now, regardless of why. And
that's stupid as a character. I liked OTG because Cat acted uncat like in
it, for instance. He had more lines and character than just the stupid vain
guy.

>>Dibbley is supposed to be positive? Gimmie a break, he's a total nerd. :)
>
>Like I said, I think that has changed since. Dibbley was also to do
>with Cat without his cool so they could get away with that ;-)

I guess. I didn't want to bring it up, because I KNOW I'm highly predjudiced
against religion, and tend to offend people, but I'd rather have the Cat in
DJ be a janitor than a priest. A priest seems kinda to be going on how black
people are seen as more spirtual. And what's so wrong about his being a
janitor? My (black) friend Calvin makes insane amounts of money running his
janitorial service. No shame at all in that...?

>> He acts stupid because he's stupid, not because he's black.
>
>But he's not stupid, he just acts it. According to the novel, he
>didn't want to actually be part of the Red Dwarf in the first place,
>he signed up for it while drunk.

Well, but he does stupid things. Stupid may be the wrong word, I guess.
Maybe...irrisponsible things? Like getting so drunk he would sign up in the
first place? If I brought home a guy who did that, my mom would chase him
out of the house with a broom....

>>CC as Lister is incredibly sexy too, although I'm not sure if he's
>>supposed to be like that.
>
>Whatever floats your boat...personally, I don't see the attraction...

It's more an emotional thing than physical, maybe, but both CC and CB are
really sexy as their RD characters, although less so as themselves. I don't
know why I find them sexy, they just are.

>...I don't see the attraction with KK either tho ;-)

I normally don't think other women are at all pretty, most of the time they
just look sick or distorted to me, but she strikes me as being pretty. She
just has a nice smile, and seems nice, too, so maybe that's why guys like
her? I don't know, ask them...

SmeggerUK

Jan 9, 2001, 5:09:50 PM1/9/01
Happy deathday to "AJ Rimmer" <res0...@gte.net>...
>SmeggerUK in an epiphany of incurable wisdom
>
>wrote in message news:rnvk5to9h97qa3nth...@4ax.com...
>> Happy deathday to "AJ Rimmer" <res0...@gte.net>...
>> >SmeggerUK leaned really close and whispered this secret to me....
>> >wrote in message news:jgqk5to553v6m8ls5...@4ax.com...
>> ><snippy snip>

>Nah, I don't see them as two dimensional. I see their inner friendship, I

>was just saying that it was nice to see it happen. That, you usually don't
>see Rimmer being nice to Lister. And when he is nice, he's usually soused.

Ah, it didn't read that way ;-)

>> >Your ordering me to go and listen to "Eddie Izzard - Pavlov's cat"? You
>> >threw the stick fetch it yourself!
>>
>> Yeah, it's similar to that bit...now go get it and listen to it...it's
>> in your interests to understand how cats work...
>>
>> ...and Eddie Izzard is very funny too!
>
>There you go ordering me around again. I don't see SmeggerUK's love slave
>stenciled on my forehead.

Look inside yourself...down a bit...your inner gay man's forehead ;-)

*BELOW* the crudely shaped penis tattoo and the "YMCA RULES" text
written backwards in ballpoint pen :-)

>> >Are ya that shy about this torrid love affair??!?!?!
>>
>> Well I'll be blowed,
>You're seeing someone elses IGM behind my ISP?!?!?!

when you said ISP, I instantly thought "internet" and lost it...now I
see it, sorta...I'm not seeing your inner straight person...they're
inner for a start, so I can't see 'em ;-P

When they come out (ooh, er) come back to me :-)

>> you think I'm the shy type?
>Yes IRL I bet you are at first.

Nah, not really ;-)

>> Yes, yes I am, but it depends on who I'm with ;-)
>see what did I tell ya!

Damn, forgot I'd written this :-)

>> I'm nothing like this IRL when I first meet with someone, but I get
>> less shy over time (never usually as bad as I am online tho ;-))

>Told you. And you didn't think I knew you so well.

Nope, I *knew* you didn't know me so well :-P

>--
>Do you have any idea how taxing it is to console your inner gay man after
>finding out the love of his life could be having an affair?

I've not got an inner gay man, so no I dunno... :-P
--
Tuesday 9th January 1901
Ell Jay - probably real...........Margaret Thatcher - probably a good prime minister

SmeggerUK

Jan 9, 2001, 5:26:05 PM1/9/01
Happy deathday to do...@junior.apk.net (Domus)...

>In article <ei8k5to9udlg1riqe...@4ax.com>, SmeggerUK wrote:
>>do...@junior.apk.net (Domus) deered to kill a kings dare, then said...
>>
>>>In article <rp0k5t89bo6bfkd7h...@4ax.com>, SmeggerUK wrote:
>>
>>>Err, no, I think you've got it all wrong. By that standard Lister would be a
>>>token black dude. A 'token' character is one who is minor, first of all.
>>
>>In a way, yes...but I think they chose a black man for a specific
>>reason...OTOH they didn't set out to choose a black man for Lister's
>>part so maybe not ;-)
>
>They didn't even choose a MAN for Lister's part, really, did they? I mean,
>was the audition open to women as well?

I'm guessing here, but I would say that yes, they were specifically
looking for a man for the part. Part of RD is about being alone in
deep space so in the earlier episodes a female member of the crew
would have ruined the ambience a little, IYKWIM

> In any case, that's kind of what I'm
>saying, that it's never been written from the point of Lister being
>black, and that makes it more enjoyable. Not that I don't mind characters
>who are very 'black' in mannerisms, it's just concentrating on it is getting
>really tiring...

Apart from Queeg, none of the characters really had a *race* that
wouldn't have worked if the actor was of a different race. He was the
only one with black mannerisms, IMO...the one letdown of RD ;-)

>>Ghetto talk annoys me if spoken by a white man. If you've heard (or
>>seen...I've got the vid, I d/l it from iMesh :-)) "Offspring - Pretty
>>fly for a white guy" you will know what I mean. I grew up with kids
>>like that...more black than their black friends, and they only did it
>>to fit in...still looked like prats though ;-)
>
>Well, like black kids do it for any different reason?

Yep, black kids do it because that's *their* culture...young black
people have their own culture and white kids try to muscle in on it.
Take rap, for instance (no, *please* take it ;-))...Slim Shady and Kid
Rock can both apparently do it, but they're about the only ones who
can pull it off successfully (Raul, shaddup)

>It's a combination of
>being raised around it, and doing it to look cool, that's the reason pretty
>much everyone does everything, innit?

Peer pressure, yup

>>>I wouldn't have been fired from my last job if I was a
>>>man, but I bitch that the firing was silly, not that people treat me
>>>different....
>>
>>You wouldn't have been fired from your last job if you wore underwear
>>;-P
>
>Well, I must contest that. Do you think it'd be a big deal if a man didn't
>wear undies?

Personally, I would say yes...there's no difference between males and
females in that respect...it's *how* people find out that they ain't
wearing undies that is the important thing ;-)

>Besides, if a guy with 5 facial pircings is more acceptable
>than a woman who doesn't wear panties, I don't wanna live in this world.

Yep, in some cases...oh, and *we* want you to live in this world so
you gotta stay :-)

>>>RL commented on this when he wrote Man
>>>in the Rubber Mask, to get back to the point. It's like everyone is so
>>>afraid of being offensive to anyone else, they're scared to say things. You
>>>can call someone a fucking asshole, and that's fine,
>>
>>I dunno what school *you* went to but... ;-)

>What schools, plural. I've been enrolled in and kicked out of half the
>schools in the city. :) :)

Wild child eh? Can't have been wilder than me though, I've been
through the system all my life

>>> but if you call them a midget instead of saying they're vertically
>>> challanged, you're prejudiced.
>>
>>You're talking political correctness now, and that's a whole different
>>pot of anchovies :-)

>Well, but isn't including someone because of their color or sexual
>orientation just the network trying to be PC?

most of it is political bullshit IMO

>he's just vanity personified now, regardless of why. And
>that's stupid as a character. I liked OTG because Cat acted uncat like in
>it, for instance. He had more lines and character than just the stupid vain
>guy.

But cats are vain and self-centred creatures...and how has Cat changed
in that way from the start...he was *way* vainer then than he is now
;-)

>>>Dibbley is supposed to be positive? Gimmie a break, he's a total nerd. :)
>>
>>Like I said, I think that has changed since. Dibbley was also to do
>>with Cat without his cool so they could get away with that ;-)
>
>I guess. I didn't want to bring it up, because I KNOW I'm highly predjudiced
>against religion, and tend to offend people,

If they can't handle your opinion, fuck 'em, that's what I say ;-)

>but I'd rather have the Cat in
>DJ be a janitor than a priest. A priest seems kinda to be going on how black
>people are seen as more spirtual. And what's so wrong about his being a
>janitor? My (black) friend Calvin makes insane amounts of money running his
>janitorial service. No shame at all in that...?

Personally, I liked Cat as a priest, and I don't know what he'd be
like as a janitor...the main reason they chose a janitor was because
of his tidiness, and Cat would look way different ;-)

>>> He acts stupid because he's stupid, not because he's black.
>>
>>But he's not stupid, he just acts it. According to the novel, he
>>didn't want to actually be part of the Red Dwarf in the first place,
>>he signed up for it while drunk.
>
>Well, but he does stupid things. Stupid may be the wrong word, I guess.
>Maybe...irrisponsible things? Like getting so drunk he would sign up in the
>first place? If I brought home a guy who did that, my mom would chase him
>out of the house with a broom....

Irresponsible, maybe...but he does these things because he wants to
*live* life to the full :-)

He wants to, put simply, have fun and generally bum around

>>>CC as Lister is incredibly sexy too, although I'm not sure if he's
>>>supposed to be like that.
>>
>>Whatever floats your boat...personally, I don't see the attraction...
>
>It's more an emotional thing than physical, maybe, but both CC and CB are
>really sexy as their RD characters, although less so as themselves. I don't
>know why I find them sexy, they just are.

They're both vulnerable characters, so maybe that's what is so
attractive IYO

>>...I don't see the attraction with KK either tho ;-)
>
>I normally don't think other women are at all pretty, most of the time they
>just look sick or distorted to me, but she strikes me as being pretty. She
>just has a nice smile, and seems nice, too, so maybe that's why guys like
>her? I don't know, ask them...

I daren't ask this lot, I'd dread to hear the answers ;-)

garth

Jan 9, 2001, 6:04:35 PM1/9/01
Kryten <kryte...@ntlworld.comunderpants> wrote in message

> 6 degrees of separation... I think. I've seen it, quite a good film.

Correct... I haven't seen it, but I only knew that fact after reading an
interview with Mr Smith.

"garth" - who, thanks to his sister playing The Sims all day, has only got 2
mins left online.

Domus

Jan 9, 2001, 9:45:54 PM1/9/01

>>They didn't even choose a MAN for Lister's part, really, did they? I mean,
>>was the audition open to women as well?
>
>I'm guessing here, but I would say that yes, they were specifically
>looking for a man for the part. Part of RD is about being alone in
>deep space so in the earlier episodes a female member of the crew
>would have ruined the ambience a little, IYKWIM

Huh? How would it have changed anything? I mean, Cat's a guy, but that could
change, or it could not matter, either way. And it doesn't make a damn bit
of difference if Rimmer is the opposite sex from Lister, because they
couldn't touch or anything.

>> In any case, that's kind of what I'm
>>saying, that it's never been written from the point of Lister being
>>black, and that makes it more enjoyable. Not that I don't mind characters
>>who are very 'black' in mannerisms, it's just concentrating on it is getting
>>really tiring...
>
>Apart from Queeg, none of the characters really had a *race* that
>wouldn't have worked if the actor was of a different race. He was the
>only one with black mannerisms, IMO...the one letdown of RD ;-)

Erm, he didn't strike me as having black mannerisms, more of drill sergent
mannerisms. It worked surprisingly well, because that whole personality type
is silly. If I was ever drafted, I'd die from laughing in training. I was
watching something on discovery today about human beings killing each other,
and part of the thing was on army training. I was cracking up, they're just
so utterly silly. They yell, in the most macho, 'this is serious' voice "WE
DO NOT HAVE LOSERS IN THIS GAME, BECAUSE IF YOU LOSE, _YOU DIE_". I was on
the floor! That anyone can take themselves that seriously, regardless of how
grave a situation is....it's like the guy was supposed to be scary or
something. It was like a bad monster in an old movie. Just crazy.

>>Well, I must contest that. Do you think it'd be a big deal if a man didn't
>>wear undies?
>
>Personally, I would say yes...there's no difference between males and
>females in that respect...it's *how* people find out that they ain't
>wearing undies that is the important thing ;-)

Well, I have to disagree with that. I _told_ people I didn't wear undies,
it's not like anyone other than the people I told noticed until someone was
sent to look for them. Don't even try to fight me on this one, I'm still
pretty damn indignant about it. Besides, my friend Olin didn't get fired,
and I saw his butt-crack almost daily...he shoulda been a plumber, really.

>But cats are vain and self-centred creatures...and how has Cat changed
>in that way from the start...he was *way* vainer then than he is now
>;-)

They are? What cats do you know? My cats are utter slobs who barf on my
favorite books. I still love them, but vain is not the way I'd describe
them. The stuff that's funny about cats is the silly way they act, or the
things they do that we don't. I rather liked the joke in RD USA about
'wanting to go like that', for instance.

>>but I'd rather have the Cat in
>>DJ be a janitor than a priest. A priest seems kinda to be going on how black
>>people are seen as more spirtual. And what's so wrong about his being a
>>janitor? My (black) friend Calvin makes insane amounts of money running his
>>janitorial service. No shame at all in that...?
>
>Personally, I liked Cat as a priest, and I don't know what he'd be
>like as a janitor...the main reason they chose a janitor was because
>of his tidiness, and Cat would look way different ;-)

Yeah, except it's been done at that point, you've got to admit. Cat is also
really sacreligous. He doesn't belive in any of that 'holy mother' stuff. So
I guess I does work, him being a priest. Hmmm..

>>>Whatever floats your boat...personally, I don't see the attraction...
>>
>>It's more an emotional thing than physical, maybe, but both CC and CB are
>>really sexy as their RD characters, although less so as themselves. I don't
>>know why I find them sexy, they just are.
>
>They're both vulnerable characters, so maybe that's what is so
>attractive IYO

Lister isn't vulnerable at all, he's very very strong inside. Rimmer, on the
other hand, well.... heh. They're like the ying and yang of disirability.
Both attractive, but for opposite reasons. Maybe you've gotta be a girl to
see it. Or maybe you've just gotta be a Domus, eh? :)

Raul C. Beltizer

Jan 9, 2001, 10:23:21 PM1/9/01
On 10 Jan 2001 02:45:54 GMT, do...@junior.apk.net (Domus) wrote:

>Well, I have to disagree with that. I _told_ people I didn't wear undies,
>it's not like anyone other than the people I told noticed until someone was
>sent to look for them. Don't even try to fight me on this one, I'm still
>pretty damn indignant about it. Besides, my friend Olin didn't get fired,
>and I saw his butt-crack almost daily...he shoulda been a plumber, really.

Someone was sent to look for your undies? They actually looked at your
booty to see if there was underwear on it? Don't they need a search
warrant or something to do that? Or at least probable cause that you
had sequestered something illegal in your butt crack? You should get a
lawyer.

Domus

Jan 10, 2001, 8:06:05 AM1/10/01

I coulda made a deal of it, but I wasn't gonna. But yes, because the guy
making the stir was blind, he couldn't check things out himself. So he sent
friends, supposedly, to check things out for him. Don't ask me....

AJ Rimmer

Jan 10, 2001, 9:43:54 AM1/10/01
You just had my Raul? Domus <do...@junior.apk.net> and Raul...It's a dream
come true.

wrote in message news:slrn95nj6o...@junior.apk.net...

> >>They didn't even choose a MAN for Lister's part, really, did they? I
mean,
> >>was the audition open to women as well?
> >
> >I'm guessing here, but I would say that yes, they were specifically
> >looking for a man for the part. Part of RD is about being alone in
> >deep space so in the earlier episodes a female member of the crew
> >would have ruined the ambience a little, IYKWIM
>
> Huh? How would it have changed anything? I mean, Cat's a guy, but that
could
> change, or it could not matter, either way. And it doesn't make a damn bit
> of difference if Rimmer is the opposite sex from Lister, because they
> couldn't touch or anything.

No it would make a difference if Rimmer was a hard light hologram. They
would be able to touch then. So if they ever had gone in that direction, of
Lister insisting that he get KK's disk after Legion gave Rimmer a hard light
body...then Rimmer would be in trouble.

Okay but, why were you going around telling everyone you didn't wear undies?
What business was it of theres? And, someone was sent to look for your
undies? That just seems really strange to me.

> >But cats are vain and self-centred creatures...and how has Cat changed
> >in that way from the start...he was *way* vainer then than he is now
> >;-)
>
> They are? What cats do you know? My cats are utter slobs who barf on my
> favorite books. I still love them, but vain is not the way I'd describe
> them. The stuff that's funny about cats is the silly way they act, or the
> things they do that we don't. I rather liked the joke in RD USA about
> 'wanting to go like that', for instance.

My cat's are not vain either. I've got one who's all lovely dovey when she
feels like it, and when she doesn't would take your arm off if given the
chance. She also get's frightened of thin air, jumping up at least 2 feet
and sprinting across the house pell mell....The other will show you anything
you want in the house if you fed her. So, no I truely believe they are very
discriminatory to cat's in RD. ;-)

I agree with you on this part. Although, I don't find Cat or Kryten that
attractive as chacters. Lister and Rimmer have redeming qualities, I'm not
sure Cat has any. Kryten does, but I just couldn't go for him. This is
reminding me of the Wilma Flintstone conversation...

AJ
--
Are you still not talking to me? That's unbelievably childish. I've a good
mind to fill your shoes with runny porridge again. That'll teach you a

ken...@texas.net

Jan 10, 2001, 10:26:03 AM1/10/01
SmeggerUK opined:
»> He acts stupid because he's stupid, not because he's black.

But he's not stupid, he just acts it. According to the novel, he
didn't want to actually be part of the Red Dwarf in the first place,

he signed up for it while drunk.«

Actually, (in the book) he wound up on Mimas when he got drunk. He
signed up for the Patrol because he was trying to get back to Earth, and
he figured that was a free ride. He got drunk *after* signing up,
because Petersen brought whiskey with him and was not allowed to take it
aboard Red Dwarf, so Petersen drank the whiskey, sharing it with Lister.

But I agree -- Lister isn't stupid; he just acts that way.

--
"Oh, wonderful. A squeezy mop! Just what I've always wanted."

KenderRhea on AOL Instant Messenger
95023979 on ICQ

SmeggerUK

Jan 10, 2001, 3:49:25 PM1/10/01
Happy deathday to do...@junior.apk.net (Domus)...

>>I'm guessing here, but I would say that yes, they were specifically

>>looking for a man for the part. Part of RD is about being alone in
>>deep space so in the earlier episodes a female member of the crew
>>would have ruined the ambience a little, IYKWIM
>
>Huh? How would it have changed anything? I mean, Cat's a guy, but that could
>change, or it could not matter, either way.

The "chemistry" just wouldn't have been the same if there were female
characters in the show. Not that I'm saying it was better how it was,
just that it would be different. One of Listers drives is to get back
into doing all the things you've got to do to *get* a family (Future
Echoes) and with a female on board that is more likely, innit. As
they're the last humans in the universe (apparently) they "have an
obligation" to society (Camille)...and notice Lister's first words in
Camille..."well, this looks fine, if you'd just like to get your kit
off we'll begin the examination"...that says it all, dunnit ;-)

>And it doesn't make a damn bit of difference if Rimmer is the
>opposite sex from Lister, because they couldn't touch or anything.

I *have* to disagree here, for the simple reason that Lister (in
Balance of Power) strives to obtain better rank than Rimmer for the
*sole* purpose of getting Rimmer's hologram replaced with
Kochanski's...he can't touch her or do the things he wants to do with
her, yet he still worked damn hard to get her ;-)

>>Apart from Queeg, none of the characters really had a *race* that
>>wouldn't have worked if the actor was of a different race. He was the
>>only one with black mannerisms, IMO...the one letdown of RD ;-)
>>

>Erm, he didn't strike me as having black mannerisms, more of drill sergent
>mannerisms.

IMO, he *did* have Drill Sargeant mannerisms, but IMO they were BLACK
Drill Sargeant mannerisms...maybe not, maybe I read too much into
it...

<SNIP>

>>>Well, I must contest that. Do you think it'd be a big deal if a man didn't
>>>wear undies?
>>
>>Personally, I would say yes...there's no difference between males and
>>females in that respect...it's *how* people find out that they ain't
>>wearing undies that is the important thing ;-)
>
>Well, I have to disagree with that. I _told_ people I didn't wear undies,

The fact that you told people says to me that they weren't the reason
for dismissal, unless you told them one day and were sacked the
next...and I'd be more worried about *why* you told them about it in
the first place...that'd probably be why they sacked you for it (if
that *was* the reason)

>Don't even try to fight me on this one, I'm still
>pretty damn indignant about it.

Since when does that stop me? :-)

>Besides, my friend Olin didn't get fired,
>and I saw his butt-crack almost daily...he shoulda been a plumber, really.

Sounds like he should go to drug rehabilitation for his serious crack
problem ;-)

>>But cats are vain and self-centred creatures...and how has Cat changed
>>in that way from the start...he was *way* vainer then than he is now

>They are? What cats do you know?

I've known of a few in my time...females tend to be less tidy, I would
say (the ones I knew were male, except one or two) ;-)

There was this one long-haired female I used to know (a friend's cat),
very affectionate, dopey and always looked messy...that was because of
the long hair tho :-)

There was also a white-haired male who *always* (and I mean *always*)
looked tidy, never a hair out of place...one hell of a moody bastard
though...I would be too if my owners castrated me ;-)

>My cats are utter slobs who barf on my favorite books. I still love
> them, but vain is not the way I'd describe them.

Okay, not *all* cats are vain and self-centred...most are the latter
and the males are the former ;-)

>The stuff that's funny about cats is the silly way they act, or the
>things they do that we don't. I rather liked the joke in RD USA about
>'wanting to go like that', for instance.

When I was young I used to have a female cat (which I called Charlie
for some reason) and she used to have these "mad half hours" when
she'd run around the flat acting silly and doing weird stuff like
hitting things or jumping around...The rest of the time she'd do
normal cat things but there'd be no way of getting her attention
easily when she's in her MHO (and no, Raul, it wasn't on a 28 day
cycle, not that I remember anyway ;-))

Each cat is unique in the funny things they do, of course

>>Personally, I liked Cat as a priest, and I don't know what he'd be
>>like as a janitor...the main reason they chose a janitor was because
>>of his tidiness, and Cat would look way different ;-)
>
>Yeah, except it's been done at that point, you've got to admit. Cat is also
>really sacreligous. He doesn't belive in any of that 'holy mother' stuff.

He acts sacreligious, but I'm not so sure about it...he remembers all
that tot from kitty school about it and even looks happy repeating it,
and he could even get a copy of the cat bible easily...he believed
more than I think. He's not really an *atheist*, he's just not a
believer in the details (like a number of people don't believe in Mary
and Joseph and all that b/s but believe that there *is* some higher
being...whether it's a god or not is another matter ;-))

>So I guess I does work, him being a priest. Hmmm..

It works, but so would him being a janitor...so would him being a
console worker or something like that ;-)

>>>It's more an emotional thing than physical, maybe, but both CC and CB are
>>>really sexy as their RD characters, although less so as themselves. I don't
>>>know why I find them sexy, they just are.
>>
>>They're both vulnerable characters, so maybe that's what is so
>>attractive IYO
>
>Lister isn't vulnerable at all, he's very very strong inside.

*Everyone* has their vulnerabilities, even Lister. Think back to
Balance of Power, the bit where he's sitting in the disco and everyone
suddenly comes back (in his imagination)...and think of Paranoia in
Confidence and Paranoia...these both show his vulnerable side.

>Rimmer, on the other hand, well.... heh.

"Would you like the list, sir?" :-)

>They're like the ying and yang of disirability.

Don't let Val hear you say that ;-)

>Both attractive, but for opposite reasons. Maybe you've gotta be a girl to
>see it. Or maybe you've just gotta be a Domus, eh? :)

I'd love to be Domus, funnily enough...maybe *with* the underwear, eh?
:-)
Wed. 10th January 1901
100 years ago to the day, Einstein proved the existence of Ell Jay.
Less than a week ago, I managed to find flaws in every single one of
Einstein's theories on this subject.

AJ Rimmer

Jan 10, 2001, 5:44:43 PM1/10/01
Ah those mad japes SmeggerUK plays such as when he;
wrote in message news:ojhp5tgisfj791nf1...@4ax.com...
<Snip rather large conversation here

> I'd love to be Domus.
Really Smegger? In America and everything?

AJ

Raul C. Beltizer

Jan 10, 2001, 5:47:38 PM1/10/01
On 10 Jan 2001 13:06:05 GMT, do...@junior.apk.net (Domus) wrote:

>In article <c2ln5t4fflnhhfn1m...@4ax.com>, Raul C. Beltizer wrote:
>>On 10 Jan 2001 02:45:54 GMT, do...@junior.apk.net (Domus) wrote:
>>
>>>Well, I have to disagree with that. I _told_ people I didn't wear undies,
>>>it's not like anyone other than the people I told noticed until someone was
>>>sent to look for them. Don't even try to fight me on this one, I'm still
>>>pretty damn indignant about it. Besides, my friend Olin didn't get fired,
>>>and I saw his butt-crack almost daily...he shoulda been a plumber, really.
>>
>>Someone was sent to look for your undies? They actually looked at your
>>booty to see if there was underwear on it? Don't they need a search
>>warrant or something to do that? Or at least probable cause that you
>>had sequestered something illegal in your butt crack? You should get a
>>lawyer.
>
>I coulda made a deal of it, but I wasn't gonna. But yes, because the guy
>making the stir was blind, he couldn't check things out himself. So he sent
>friends, supposedly, to check things out for him. Don't ask me....
>
>-Domus

Why should a blind guy give a rip whether you wear undies? Seems like
you could go naked with sequins and pigtails in your pubic hair for
all the difference it would make.

So he sent a sighted friend to check out your undie situation? Did
some evil girl peer over the wall of the bathroom stall whilst you
made water? Seems like he could have just goosed you himself if he
really needed to know.

Raul C. Beltizer

Jan 10, 2001, 6:14:55 PM1/10/01
On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 22:44:43 GMT, "AJ Rimmer" <res0...@gte.net>
wrote:

Sitting on your butt eating popcorn?

SmeggerUK

Jan 10, 2001, 6:37:35 PM1/10/01
Happy deathday to "AJ Rimmer" <res0...@gte.net>...

I guess so...America's not that bad really, if you ignore those
lowlifes in the whitehouse ;-)

Ell Jay

Jan 10, 2001, 7:22:14 PM1/10/01
SmeggerUK wrote:

> Happy deathday to Ell Jay <cot...@sk.sympatico.ca>...
>
> >And I suppose you'd live in the wonderful town of Texas, Colorado?
>
> Nope, Bedford Falls, where it's Christmas every day!

Haven't heard of that one. My hometown is only 2 and a half hours away
from the sunniest place in Canada (Saskatoon)! I was merely pointing out
your error of "Texas, Col." in one of your previous sigs.

Ell Jay

Jan 10, 2001, 7:10:37 PM1/10/01
SmeggerUK wrote:

> Happy deathday to "AJ Rimmer" <res0...@gte.net>...
> >Ah those mad japes SmeggerUK plays such as when he;
> >wrote in message news:ojhp5tgisfj791nf1...@4ax.com...
> ><Snip rather large conversation here
> >>
> >> I'd love to be Domus.
> >Really Smegger? In America and everything?
>
> I guess so...America's not that bad really, if you ignore those
> lowlifes in the whitehouse ;-)

And I suppose you'd live in the wonderful town of Texas, Colorado?

SmeggerUK

Jan 10, 2001, 7:14:17 PM1/10/01
Happy deathday to Ell Jay <cot...@sk.sympatico.ca>...

>And I suppose you'd live in the wonderful town of Texas, Colorado?

Nope, Bedford Falls, where it's Christmas every day!

AJ Rimmer

Jan 10, 2001, 9:06:45 PM1/10/01
Someone claiming to be Ell Jay <cot...@sk.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Now now, we don't know for a fact that there isn't a Texas, Col. It could
be a town. Population of 4. 1 human, 1 cat, 1 hologram, 1 mechanoid with a
head shaped like a novelty....

AJ
----
Mental note...must get life.

SmeggerUK

Jan 10, 2001, 9:44:12 PM1/10/01
Happy deathday to Ell Jay <cot...@sk.sympatico.ca>...
>SmeggerUK wrote:
>
>> Happy deathday to Ell Jay <cot...@sk.sympatico.ca>...
>>
>> >And I suppose you'd live in the wonderful town of Texas, Colorado?
>>
>> Nope, Bedford Falls, where it's Christmas every day!
>
>Haven't heard of that one. My hometown is only 2 and a half hours away
>from the sunniest place in Canada (Saskatoon)! I was merely

"You're merely a mechanoid, that's all you're merely!"

> pointing out
>your error of "Texas, Col." in one of your previous sigs.

yes, indeedy, and I was quoting from a Red Dwarf novel, better than
life. Dave Lister dreams of living in Bedford Falls, the town in
Lister's favourite film "it's a wonderful life"

ken...@texas.net

Jan 10, 2001, 11:22:40 PM1/10/01
SmeggerUK typed:
»I guess so...America's not that bad really, if you ignore those
lowlifes in the whitehouse ;-)«

Really? Where did you visit? I'd like to move there. It sounds better
than Texas... ;)

AJ Rimmer

Jan 10, 2001, 11:43:17 PM1/10/01

<ken...@texas.net> wrote in message news:3A5CE038...@texas.net...

> SmeggerUK typed:
> »I guess so...America's not that bad really, if you ignore those
> lowlifes in the whitehouse ;-)«
>
> Really? Where did you visit? I'd like to move there. It sounds better
> than Texas... ;)

Hey, don't knock Texas, CO. It's a quaint little town. Full of....quaint
people. It's really quite...quaint.

Quaintly AJ

AJ Rimmer

Jan 10, 2001, 11:45:58 PM1/10/01
That shinning example of splenditude known as AJ Rimmer <res0...@gte.net>
wrote in message news:FRa76.3431$eT6.3...@paloalto-snr1.gtei.net...
Additional...I really detest OE sometimes.

AJ

RickC

Jan 11, 2001, 12:16:58 AM1/11/01

> Now now, we don't know for a fact that there isn't a Texas, Col. It could
> be a town. Population of 4. 1 human, 1 cat, 1 hologram, 1 mechanoid with
> head shaped like a novelty....

Actually, there is a "Texas Creek, Colorado" which you can find at:
http://www.mapquest.com/
Click on Street Maps, then search for Texas, CO and you will get the map.
http://www.ghostdepot.com/rg/mainline/royal%20gorge%20route/texas%20creek.ht
Texas Creek, CO
Elevation 6,210 feet.
Population 63 (c1920).
Denver 184 miles.

There is also a "Colorado, Texas" about 60 km southeast of Austin, the state
capital.
Click here for more information:
http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/view/CC/hrcrd.html
COLORADO, TEXAS. Colorado is two miles southeast of Smithville in
southeastern Bastrop County. In 1905 it had a one-teacher school for fifty
black students; the school was probably absorbed by the Smithville
Independent School District in 1921. In the 1940s a church and several
scattered houses marked the community on county highway maps, but by the
1980s only a cemetery and a church remained.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

--
Jif, cousin of Skippy, evil "inner gay man" twin of:
Rick Carlson
Author of "The Adventures of Danger Dave, Galactic Hero"
http://www.danger-dave.com mailto:redd...@danger-dave.com

Kender Rhea

Jan 11, 2001, 12:26:05 AM1/11/01
AJ Rimmer typed:
»Hey, don't knock Texas, CO. It's a quaint little town. Full
of....quaint
people. It's really quite...quaint.«

Oh, sure! It's almost as nice as Bedford Falls! I just wish I lived
*there* instead of Texas, the state. ;)

AJ Rimmer

Jan 11, 2001, 12:52:58 AM1/11/01
Kender Rhea <ken...@texas.net> wrote in message

> AJ Rimmer typed:
> »Hey, don't knock Texas, CO. It's a quaint little town. Full
> of....quaint
> people. It's really quite...quaint.«
>
> Oh, sure! It's almost as nice as Bedford Falls! I just wish I lived
> *there* instead of Texas, the state. ;)

So move to Colorado, Texas. Tell everyone you live in Colorado, just leave
off the Texas part. Sure there's apparently only 1 church and 1 school
left, but ya can't have everything.

AJ

Kender Rhea

Jan 11, 2001, 1:25:26 AM1/11/01
AJ Rimmer typed:
»So move to Colorado, Texas. Tell everyone you live in Colorado, just

leave
off the Texas part. Sure there's apparently only 1 church and 1 school
left, but ya can't have everything.«

Ah, but that would still be in Texas. If I could afford to go on a "pub
crawl," maybe I could find myself signing up with the Space Corps... ;)

Gavin Clayton

Jan 11, 2001, 8:32:25 AM1/11/01
This is what SmeggerUK <Smeg...@pleaseremovenospam.mailandnews.com>
just wrote:

>IMO, he *did* have Drill Sargeant mannerisms, but IMO they were BLACK
>Drill Sargeant mannerisms

I agree... "Sucka!"

(That was a nice easy way of saying I agree, and adding more proof
about Queeg's stereotyping. Hope you noticed).

Gavin Clayton

Domus

Jan 11, 2001, 12:59:13 PM1/11/01
In article <36pp5to6leqppl1ei...@4ax.com>, Raul C. Beltizer wrote:
>On 10 Jan 2001 13:06:05 GMT, do...@junior.apk.net (Domus) wrote:
>>I coulda made a deal of it, but I wasn't gonna. But yes, because the guy
>>making the stir was blind, he couldn't check things out himself. So he sent
>>friends, supposedly, to check things out for him. Don't ask me....

>Why should a blind guy give a rip whether you wear undies? Seems like

>you could go naked with sequins and pigtails in your pubic hair for
>all the difference it would make.

Yeah, I know. Don't ask me. Larry was planning to leave, and I think he
was angry, and just wanted to make a stink about something, and someone
probably mentioned in a conversation or joke that I didn't wear undies,
and stuff got stirred up. But Larry isn't exactly all there. He's the guy
who wanted me to get a tattoo when I turned 18. Never take tattoo advice
from a blind man.

>So he sent a sighted friend to check out your undie situation? Did
>some evil girl peer over the wall of the bathroom stall whilst you
>made water? Seems like he could have just goosed you himself if he
>really needed to know.

Well, he asked someone to look, I guess, and there is a lot of bending and
streching when one works on computers. I don't think it should have made
any difference though, as both the males in our little part of the center
showed their cracks more often than I like to remember.

Domus

Jan 11, 2001, 1:04:56 PM1/11/01
In article <Jy_66.472$%T.8...@dfiatx1-snr1.gtei.net>, AJ Rimmer wrote:
>You just had my Raul? Domus <do...@junior.apk.net> and Raul...It's a dream
>come true.

>mean,
>
>No it would make a difference if Rimmer was a hard light hologram. They
>would be able to touch then. So if they ever had gone in that direction, of
>Lister insisting that he get KK's disk after Legion gave Rimmer a hard light
>body...then Rimmer would be in trouble.

I thought the inference was that KK's disk was distroyed. Otherwise, when
Rimmer went to the holoship, they would have popped her up straight away.
Besides, they wouldn't have made Rimmer hard light if it woulda ruined the
show...at least, not while Rob Grant was around.

>> Well, I have to disagree with that. I _told_ people I didn't wear undies,
>> it's not like anyone other than the people I told noticed until someone
>was
>> sent to look for them. Don't even try to fight me on this one, I'm still
>> pretty damn indignant about it. Besides, my friend Olin didn't get fired,
>> and I saw his butt-crack almost daily...he shoulda been a plumber, really.
>
>Okay but, why were you going around telling everyone you didn't wear undies?
>What business was it of theres? And, someone was sent to look for your
>undies? That just seems really strange to me.

It seems strange, really? How perceptive of you. It just came up in
conversation between my boss and I, I think. I was trying to explain how I
was sensitive to things in a way that other people weren't, to give a
reason as to why I had difficulty doing something. I was saying look, I'm
oversensitive in a lot of ways, and he said like what, and I said like I
can't stand seams on undies, and he said but you deal with that, and I
said no, I don't, I don't wear them, and he said 'oh', and we moved on to
something else. And the man couldn't look for himself, he was blind, so I
guess he had to send someone.

>> Lister isn't vulnerable at all, he's very very strong inside. Rimmer, on
>the
>> other hand, well.... heh. They're like the ying and yang of disirability.
>> Both attractive, but for opposite reasons. Maybe you've gotta be a girl to
>> see it. Or maybe you've just gotta be a Domus, eh? :)
>
>I agree with you on this part. Although, I don't find Cat or Kryten that
>attractive as chacters. Lister and Rimmer have redeming qualities, I'm not
>sure Cat has any. Kryten does, but I just couldn't go for him. This is
>reminding me of the Wilma Flintstone conversation...

Exactly, AJ. I couldn't go for Cat, and Kryten doesn't have enough human
features to be attractive. And yeah, it reminds me of the Flintstone bit.
We're sad little people, aren't we? ;P

Domus

Jan 11, 2001, 1:06:52 PM1/11/01

Hey, I've not had popcorn for a while now. Sitting on my butt, though, now
that's my specialty.

-domus

Ell Jay

Jan 11, 2001, 1:10:37 PM1/11/01
Domus wrote:

> In article <Jy_66.472$%T.8...@dfiatx1-snr1.gtei.net>, AJ Rimmer wrote:
> >You just had my Raul? Domus <do...@junior.apk.net> and Raul...It's a dream
> >come true.

> >mean,
> >
> >No it would make a difference if Rimmer was a hard light hologram. They
> >would be able to touch then. So if they ever had gone in that direction, of
> >Lister insisting that he get KK's disk after Legion gave Rimmer a hard light
> >body...then Rimmer would be in trouble.
>
> I thought the inference was that KK's disk was distroyed. Otherwise, when
> Rimmer went to the holoship, they would have popped her up straight away.
> Besides, they wouldn't have made Rimmer hard light if it woulda ruined the
> show...at least, not while Rob Grant was around.

I thought that Rimmer had hidden the disks along with the supplies.

Domus

Jan 11, 2001, 1:18:48 PM1/11/01
In article <ojhp5tgisfj791nf1...@4ax.com>, SmeggerUK wrote:
>Happy deathday to do...@junior.apk.net (Domus)...
>

>>Huh? How would it have changed anything? I mean, Cat's a guy, but that could
>>change, or it could not matter, either way.
>
>The "chemistry" just wouldn't have been the same if there were female
>characters in the show. Not that I'm saying it was better how it was,
>just that it would be different. One of Listers drives is to get back
>into doing all the things you've got to do to *get* a family (Future
>Echoes) and with a female on board that is more likely, innit. As
>they're the last humans in the universe (apparently) they "have an
>obligation" to society (Camille)...and notice Lister's first words in
>Camille..."well, this looks fine, if you'd just like to get your kit
>off we'll begin the examination"...that says it all, dunnit ;-)

It wouldn't matter, that's what I'm saying. I mean, sex would be
impossible with a hologram, and one would imagine a female cat could act
any way in the world (even with six breasts), and even if Lister wanted to
mate with it, the Cat would refuse, as Cat thinks Lister is ugly and
disgusting. A female mechanoid? No, sorry. If Lister is gonna take out his
urges on a machine, it's not gonna be that one.

>>And it doesn't make a damn bit of difference if Rimmer is the
>>opposite sex from Lister, because they couldn't touch or anything.
>
>I *have* to disagree here, for the simple reason that Lister (in
>Balance of Power) strives to obtain better rank than Rimmer for the
>*sole* purpose of getting Rimmer's hologram replaced with
>Kochanski's...he can't touch her or do the things he wants to do with
>her, yet he still worked damn hard to get her ;-)

Yes, because he loved her, and missed her, not that he wanted to have sex
with her. I'm not saying everything would have been exactly the same, but
I think it would have been similar. Imagine if Rimmer was always cast by
the female Rimmer in PU. I think Lister would have been just as repulsed
by Rimmer as always.

>The fact that you told people says to me that they weren't the reason
>for dismissal, unless you told them one day and were sacked the
>next...and I'd be more worried about *why* you told them about it in
>the first place...that'd probably be why they sacked you for it (if
>that *was* the reason)

Well, true, I also got fired after telling the head of HR I didn't think
it was fair for her to fire Olin, simply because he was having problems.
So that had to do with it too, most likely, but the undies were still
brought up, and I think that's just silly and unprofessional.

>>My cats are utter slobs who barf on my favorite books. I still love
>> them, but vain is not the way I'd describe them.
>
>Okay, not *all* cats are vain and self-centred...most are the latter
>and the males are the former ;-)

Not really. A lot of males that aren't neutered get stud tail, too, and
that's just...EWWW. Cats aren't self-centered, they're just not mindless
pack animals that are willing to do anything to please, unlike dogs....

>>So I guess I does work, him being a priest. Hmmm..
>
>It works, but so would him being a janitor...so would him being a
>console worker or something like that ;-)

Yeah yeah. I'm just saying I guess a priest works as well as a janitor,
perhaps better, if the janitor was supposed to be sloppy. Because they
already did the sloppy thing in Polymorph.

>>>They're both vulnerable characters, so maybe that's what is so
>>>attractive IYO
>>
>>Lister isn't vulnerable at all, he's very very strong inside.
>
>*Everyone* has their vulnerabilities, even Lister. Think back to
>Balance of Power, the bit where he's sitting in the disco and everyone
>suddenly comes back (in his imagination)...and think of Paranoia in
>Confidence and Paranoia...these both show his vulnerable side.

Yes, of course, he's got vulnerable parts, but his core being isn't wide
and open for everyone to make fun of and poke. If you put him in a crisis,
he stands on his own, and if someone insults him, he just thinks they're a
prat. Rimmer, on the other hand, crumbles in a crisis, and takes insults
to heart, even though he pretends he doesn't care what others say. He just
smiles and flares his nostrils, but one can imagine that he does that
because he can't display his true emotions.

>I'd love to be Domus, funnily enough...maybe *with* the underwear, eh?
>:-)

Not to be rude, but you don't know the half of how screwed up I am, both
medically and mentally. I don't quite think you wanna be me. Although
maybe you just want your own set of breasts, eh? :)

-Domus

SmeggerUK

Jan 11, 2001, 6:45:38 PM1/11/01
Happy deathday to do...@junior.apk.net (Domus)...
>In article <ojhp5tgisfj791nf1...@4ax.com>, SmeggerUK wrote:
>>Happy deathday to do...@junior.apk.net (Domus)...

>>The "chemistry" just wouldn't have been the same if there were female

>>characters in the show. Not that I'm saying it was better how it was,
>>just that it would be different. One of Listers drives is to get back
>>into doing all the things you've got to do to *get* a family (Future
>>Echoes) and with a female on board that is more likely, innit. As
>>they're the last humans in the universe (apparently) they "have an
>>obligation" to society (Camille)...and notice Lister's first words in
>>Camille..."well, this looks fine, if you'd just like to get your kit
>>off we'll begin the examination"...that says it all, dunnit ;-)
>
>It wouldn't matter, that's what I'm saying. I mean, sex would be
>impossible with a hologram,

I still think that even though sex is high on Lister's agenda (see the
Camelot thing in S7 :-)) it's not the most important thing
there...female characters would have (and in S7 *have*) upset the
balance aboard ship.

>and one would imagine a female cat could act
>any way in the world (even with six breasts), and even if Lister wanted to
>mate with it, the Cat would refuse, as Cat thinks Lister is ugly and
>disgusting.

A *male* cat thinks this, and he would :-)

A female cat...well, you never know ;-)

>A female mechanoid? No, sorry. If Lister is gonna take out his
>urges on a machine, it's not gonna be that one.

So you forget the boxers scene? ;-)

>>>And it doesn't make a damn bit of difference if Rimmer is the
>>>opposite sex from Lister, because they couldn't touch or anything.
>>
>>I *have* to disagree here, for the simple reason that Lister (in
>>Balance of Power) strives to obtain better rank than Rimmer for the
>>*sole* purpose of getting Rimmer's hologram replaced with
>>Kochanski's...he can't touch her or do the things he wants to do with
>>her, yet he still worked damn hard to get her ;-)

>Yes, because he loved her, and missed her, not that he wanted to have sex
>with her. I'm not saying everything would have been exactly the same, but
>I think it would have been similar. Imagine if Rimmer was always cast by
>the female Rimmer in PU. I think Lister would have been just as repulsed
>by Rimmer as always.

I don't see your point here...but remember what I said earlier about
sex being important but not being the only thing that drives Lister
:-)

>>The fact that you told people says to me that they weren't the reason
>>for dismissal, unless you told them one day and were sacked the
>>next...and I'd be more worried about *why* you told them about it in
>>the first place...that'd probably be why they sacked you for it (if
>>that *was* the reason)
>
>Well, true, I also got fired after telling the head of HR I didn't think
>it was fair for her to fire Olin, simply because he was having problems.
>So that had to do with it too, most likely, but the undies were still
>brought up, and I think that's just silly and unprofessional.

Some places are unprofessional...but maybe you are better off without
them...maybe they wanted to off you ages ago and just wanted to find a
good reason...

>>>My cats are utter slobs who barf on my favorite books. I still love
>>> them, but vain is not the way I'd describe them.
>>
>>Okay, not *all* cats are vain and self-centred...most are the latter
>>and the males are the former ;-)
>
>Not really. A lot of males that aren't neutered get stud tail, too, and
>that's just...EWWW. Cats aren't self-centered, they're just not mindless
>pack animals that are willing to do anything to please, unlike dogs....

Cats can be very self-centred...they only come up to their owners if
they want something like food or a stroke...go and listen to "Eddie
Izzard - Pavlov's cat" :-)

>>>So I guess it does work, him being a priest. Hmmm..

>>It works, but so would him being a janitor...so would him being a
>>console worker or something like that ;-)
>
>Yeah yeah. I'm just saying I guess a priest works as well as a janitor,
>perhaps better, if the janitor was supposed to be sloppy. Because they
>already did the sloppy thing in Polymorph.

Yeah, maybe that's why they chose to make him a priest instead...

...was polymorph *before* Dimension Jump, I can never remember ;-)

>>>Lister isn't vulnerable at all, he's very very strong inside.
>>
>>*Everyone* has their vulnerabilities, even Lister. Think back to
>>Balance of Power, the bit where he's sitting in the disco and everyone
>>suddenly comes back (in his imagination)...and think of Paranoia in
>>Confidence and Paranoia...these both show his vulnerable side.
>
>Yes, of course, he's got vulnerable parts, but his core being isn't wide
>and open for everyone to make fun of and poke. If you put him in a crisis,
>he stands on his own, and if someone insults him, he just thinks they're a
>prat. Rimmer, on the other hand, crumbles in a crisis, and takes insults
>to heart, even though he pretends he doesn't care what others say. He just
>smiles and flares his nostrils, but one can imagine that he does that
>because he can't display his true emotions.

He does display his emotions, just not as well as he should or as
often as he should...I'd say it was his upbringing :-)

>>I'd love to be Domus, funnily enough...maybe *with* the underwear, eh?
>>:-)
>
>Not to be rude, but you don't know the half of how screwed up I am, both
>medically and mentally. I don't quite think you wanna be me.

Ah, but you don't know how "screwed up" *I* am, do you ;-P

Besides, I still stick by what I said

>Although maybe you just want your own set of breasts, eh? :)

I dunno...if I wanted two useless lumps of meat I'd buy some steak ;-)
--
Thursday 11th Jan 1901
Nietsche is dead - Ell Jay

AJ Rimmer

Jan 11, 2001, 10:04:51 PM1/11/01

> I thought the inference was that KK's disk was distroyed. Otherwise, when
> Rimmer went to the holoship, they would have popped her up straight away.
> Besides, they wouldn't have made Rimmer hard light if it woulda ruined the
> show...at least, not while Rob Grant was around.

What happened to the ability to hold 2 holograms simitaniously? Why did
they never use that shtick again?

> >Okay but, why were you going around telling everyone you didn't wear
undies?
> >What business was it of theres? And, someone was sent to look for your
> >undies? That just seems really strange to me.
>
> It seems strange, really? How perceptive of you. It just came up in
> conversation between my boss and I, I think. I was trying to explain how I
> was sensitive to things in a way that other people weren't, to give a
> reason as to why I had difficulty doing something. I was saying look, I'm
> oversensitive in a lot of ways, and he said like what, and I said like I
> can't stand seams on undies, and he said but you deal with that, and I
> said no, I don't, I don't wear them, and he said 'oh', and we moved on to
> something else. And the man couldn't look for himself, he was blind, so I
> guess he had to send someone.

Uhm, okay. I think. Heck if I can figure out light years and quantum
physics and thermodynamics I'll get this eventually! ;-)

> >I agree with you on this part. Although, I don't find Cat or Kryten that
> >attractive as chacters. Lister and Rimmer have redeming qualities, I'm
not
> >sure Cat has any. Kryten does, but I just couldn't go for him. This is
> >reminding me of the Wilma Flintstone conversation...
>
> Exactly, AJ. I couldn't go for Cat, and Kryten doesn't have enough human
> features to be attractive. And yeah, it reminds me of the Flintstone bit.

I'd go out with Lister, but I'd be thinkin' of Rimmer...

> We're sad little people, aren't we? ;P

Yeah your right...What are we thinking...Rimmer will never leave Nirvana.
:-)

AJ

AJ Rimmer

Jan 11, 2001, 10:10:53 PM1/11/01

> In article <ojhp5tgisfj791nf1...@4ax.com>, SmeggerUK wrote:
> >Happy deathday to do...@junior.apk.net (Domus)...
> >

> >>Huh? How would it have changed anything? I mean, Cat's a guy, but that
could
> >>change, or it could not matter, either way.
> >
> >The "chemistry" just wouldn't have been the same if there were female
> >characters in the show. Not that I'm saying it was better how it was,
> >just that it would be different. One of Listers drives is to get back
> >into doing all the things you've got to do to *get* a family (Future
> >Echoes) and with a female on board that is more likely, innit. As
> >they're the last humans in the universe (apparently) they "have an
> >obligation" to society (Camille)...and notice Lister's first words in
> >Camille..."well, this looks fine, if you'd just like to get your kit
> >off we'll begin the examination"...that says it all, dunnit ;-)
>
> It wouldn't matter, that's what I'm saying. I mean, sex would be
> impossible with a hologram, and one would imagine a female cat could act
> any way in the world (even with six breasts), and even if Lister wanted to
> mate with it, the Cat would refuse, as Cat thinks Lister is ugly and
> disgusting. A female mechanoid? No, sorry. If Lister is gonna take out his
> urges on a machine, it's not gonna be that one.

I don't think sex would be impossible with a hard light hologram. And
Lister took out his urges in VR games didn't he?

> >>And it doesn't make a damn bit of difference if Rimmer is the
> >>opposite sex from Lister, because they couldn't touch or anything.
> >
> >I *have* to disagree here, for the simple reason that Lister (in
> >Balance of Power) strives to obtain better rank than Rimmer for the
> >*sole* purpose of getting Rimmer's hologram replaced with
> >Kochanski's...he can't touch her or do the things he wants to do with
> >her, yet he still worked damn hard to get her ;-)
> >

> Yes, because he loved her, and missed her, not that he wanted to have sex
> with her. I'm not saying everything would have been exactly the same, but
> I think it would have been similar. Imagine if Rimmer was always cast by
> the female Rimmer in PU. I think Lister would have been just as repulsed
> by Rimmer as always.

Agreed. I think the female Rimmer was a bit more of a prat than Rimmer is.
She seemed more forceful.

AJ

AJ Rimmer

Jan 11, 2001, 10:17:37 PM1/11/01

> Happy deathday to do...@junior.apk.net (Domus)...
> >
> >Yes, of course, he's got vulnerable parts, but his core being isn't wide
> >and open for everyone to make fun of and poke. If you put him in a
crisis,
> >he stands on his own, and if someone insults him, he just thinks they're
> >prat. Rimmer, on the other hand, crumbles in a crisis, and takes insults
> >to heart, even though he pretends he doesn't care what others say. He
just
> >smiles and flares his nostrils, but one can imagine that he does that
> >because he can't display his true emotions.
>
> He does display his emotions, just not as well as he should or as
> often as he should...I'd say it was his upbringing :-)

Nah no no. It's because he was a hand-picked special agent for the Space
Corps. He had his memory erased and was programmed to behave like a
complete twonk so no one would suspect he was on a mission to destroy Red
Dwarf in order to guide Lister to his destiny as the creator of the second
universe!

AJ - a very tired AJ

Talkie Toaster

Jan 11, 2001, 10:34:41 PM1/11/01
AJ Rimmer <res0...@gte.net> wrote in message
:
: SmeggerUK <Smeg...@pleaseremovenospam.mailandnews.com> wrote in message

You mean to say you've been playing the prat version of Rimmer for all that
time?? For four years?!?

AJ Rimmer

Jan 11, 2001, 11:10:10 PM1/11/01

Talkie Toaster <ac...@ozemail.yourbollocks.com.au> wrote in message

I'm not Rimmer, then? I'm not a hologram. (Perking up) I'm not Rimmer!

Raul C. Beltizer

Jan 11, 2001, 11:35:56 PM1/11/01
On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 03:04:51 GMT, "AJ Rimmer" <res0...@gte.net>
wrote:

>Domus <do...@junior.apk.net> wrote in message

>> It seems strange, really? How perceptive of you. It just came up in

>> conversation between my boss and I, I think. I was trying to explain how I
>> was sensitive to things in a way that other people weren't, to give a
>> reason as to why I had difficulty doing something. I was saying look, I'm
>> oversensitive in a lot of ways, and he said like what, and I said like I
>> can't stand seams on undies, and he said but you deal with that, and I
>> said no, I don't, I don't wear them, and he said 'oh', and we moved on to
>> something else. And the man couldn't look for himself, he was blind, so I
>> guess he had to send someone.

Domus, I didn't think women's undies had many seams. Do you mean the
seams around the leg holes rubbing on your butt? The elastic rubbing
on your waist? Getting wedgies? What?

Domus

Jan 12, 2001, 9:38:16 AM1/12/01

Erm, elastic on my waist, around leg holes, etc. I get bugged by those
little things. Simple as that.

Domus

Jan 12, 2001, 9:42:09 AM1/12/01
In article <nvu76.4128$4v4.3...@dfiatx1-snr1.gtei.net>, AJ Rimmer wrote:
>Domus <do...@junior.apk.net> wrote in message
>

>> I thought the inference was that KK's disk was distroyed. Otherwise, when
>> Rimmer went to the holoship, they would have popped her up straight away.
>> Besides, they wouldn't have made Rimmer hard light if it woulda ruined the
>> show...at least, not while Rob Grant was around.
>
>What happened to the ability to hold 2 holograms simitaniously? Why did
>they never use that shtick again?

Well, that's a good question. Maybe because the energy drain wasn't worth
it, so Holly decided going faster or having certain things operational
outweighed any possible benifit to Lister's sanity.

Or maybe no one wanted to come back. Maybe most of the crew's disks were
ruined. Or maybe Grant Naylor just smegged up.

>> >I agree with you on this part. Although, I don't find Cat or Kryten that
>> >attractive as chacters. Lister and Rimmer have redeming qualities, I'm
>not
>> >sure Cat has any. Kryten does, but I just couldn't go for him. This is
>> >reminding me of the Wilma Flintstone conversation...
>>
>> Exactly, AJ. I couldn't go for Cat, and Kryten doesn't have enough human
>> features to be attractive. And yeah, it reminds me of the Flintstone bit.
>
>I'd go out with Lister, but I'd be thinkin' of Rimmer...

Hmm, I don't think I'd be thinkin' of Rimmer. Well, I might be wishing he
were there too. :)

>> We're sad little people, aren't we? ;P
>Yeah your right...What are we thinking...Rimmer will never leave Nirvana.

Well, you've got a point. But then again, 3 million years without
sex...they'd probably sleep with anything. :)

David Meen

Jan 12, 2001, 11:32:22 AM1/12/01

> >What happened to the ability to hold 2 holograms simitaniously? Why did
> >they never use that shtick again?
>
> Well, that's a good question. Maybe because the energy drain wasn't worth
> it, so Holly decided going faster or having certain things operational
> outweighed any possible benifit to Lister's sanity.
>
> Or maybe no one wanted to come back. Maybe most of the crew's disks were
> ruined.

Maybe a hard light hologram uses a lot more energy. That would make
sense.

> Or maybe Grant Naylor just smegged up.

Even more likely.

> Well, you've got a point. But then again, 3 million years without
> sex...they'd probably sleep with anything. :)

I read that as "they'd probably sheep with anything."

--
David Meen - I'm back
http://come.to/Bombs3D

Ell Jay

Jan 12, 2001, 1:04:43 PM1/12/01
David Meen wrote:

> > Well, you've got a point. But then again, 3 million years without
> > sex...they'd probably sleep with anything. :)
> >
> I read that as "they'd probably sheep with anything."

"Learn Esperanto while you sheep, learn quantam physics while you sheep". :)

Ang

Jan 12, 2001, 6:32:27 PM1/12/01
"Mines a pint of Large"said do...@junior.apk.net (Domus) writing:

>medically and mentally. I don't quite think you wanna be me. Although
>maybe you just want your own set of breasts, eh? :)

If this is Smegger you are talking to, I'd guess no...

Ang

SmeggerUK

Jan 12, 2001, 6:32:08 PM1/12/01
Happy deathday to a...@ermitang.co.uk (Ang)...

I dunno, y'know...they'd be handy if I was in a car crash and it
didn't have an airbag...

...and I'm always feeling a right tit...so this'd make them easier to
reach ;-)
--
Friday 12th Jan. 1901
SmUKstein's theory of Ell-ativity