Wish List for RD Movie and Series 9

1 view

bandanadan

Mar 21, 2005, 11:54:12 AM3/21/05

PRODUCTION WISE

*DO NOT make the cinematography and special effects epic
or overdone. Example what NOT be done is Chronicles
of Riddick, which made it look like a pretty, pretentious,
pompous, piece of poo. And like in Series 7 and 8.
Examples to follow are low budget honest constraints...
such as Team America. Yeah, Bill Pop is good
whatever he does.

*DO NOT Kryten's make-up the same style as Season 7
and 8. It had that annoying diagonally sharp ape-like look
that you just wanted to beat up repeatedly. Kryten's
style was just right in Season 5 and 6.

*Please! No strong cross-dresser make-up on Danny
John Jules! He looks terrible!

WRITTEN WISE

*DO GET MORE PEOPLE ON THE OUTSIDE, and FANS
who understand comedy to aid the script. What Doug and insiders
on the crew may find funny, it may actually, be poo.

*If the movie is a re-write of the story, then by all means RE-USE
some jokes in the book and series, as we know they are funny.
But for Series 9, I think, it's a great opportunity to get the
actors to write things, or bring people like Ricki Gervais and
David Williams :D

*DON'T structure the story like the RD novel Last Human,
it just will be like any mediocre B-movie.

PERFORMANCE/WRITTEN WISE:

*Make Cat more like the first 6 series of RD. In 7 and 8
he was a charicature, as if Cat had been in an accident
and lost more of his brain!

*Don't make Kryten do that annoying grin, ever, again.
He was my FAV character in 4 and 5, but in 7 and 8
most people wished he'd been dismantled.

FAN SERVICE:

*I like Chloé Annet, we need some skimpy!

bewtifulfreak

Mar 21, 2005, 1:08:02 PM3/21/05
bandanadan wrote:
> PRODUCTION WISE

> *DO NOT Kryten's make-up the same style as Season 7
> and 8. It had that annoying diagonally sharp ape-like look
> that you just wanted to beat up repeatedly. Kryten's
> style was just right in Season 5 and 6.

Agreed. What was most annoying about that look was the constant pout, and
boy, did it fit with the whining he did in Series 7! :p

> *Please! No strong cross-dresser make-up on Danny
> John Jules! He looks terrible!

Oh, God, that was *horrible*....the overdone makeup in the Rimmer ride
started to become less and less of an exaggeration!

> WRITTEN WISE
>
> *DO GET MORE PEOPLE ON THE OUTSIDE, and FANS
> who understand comedy to aid the script. What Doug and insiders
> on the crew may find funny, it may actually, be poo.
>
> *If the movie is a re-write of the story, then by all means RE-USE
> some jokes in the book and series, as we know they are funny.
> But for Series 9, I think, it's a great opportunity to get the
> actors to write things, or bring people like Ricki Gervais and
> David Williams :D
>
> *DON'T structure the story like the RD novel Last Human,
> it just will be like any mediocre B-movie.

Sounds more like they structured it more like Backwards to some extent, with
the Homosapenoids (*ecch*, what was wrong with Simulents, or even
Aganoids?). Actually, one thing I wouldn't mind them borrowing from Last
Human is Kochanski's personality; she was much more than a whiney princess
in that novel, I actually liked her there.

> PERFORMANCE/WRITTEN WISE:
>
> *Make Cat more like the first 6 series of RD. In 7 and 8
> he was a charicature, as if Cat had been in an accident
> and lost more of his brain!

*Totally*. They piled on the makeup and gave him a lobotomy!

> *Don't make Kryten do that annoying grin, ever, again.
> He was my FAV character in 4 and 5, but in 7 and 8
> most people wished he'd been dismantled.

Krytie TV. <*shudder*>

> FAN SERVICE:
>
> *I like Chloé Annet, we need some skimpy!

I know you guys all feel this way, but the excuse that they needed to have a
chick to sell the movie was crap - what about Master and Commander, amongst
many, many others? I mean, I know that was big budget and big name, but to
say that a movie can't be successful with an all male cast, particularly
when it did so well as a series, is just bullhockey in my opinion. But I
guess it's true that skeptical studios would be more likely to pick up
something they weren't sure of if they could at least be sure of the
all-mighty T&A factor. :p

In any case, I would have been happier if Kochanski never showed up,
particularly with that nasty personality transplant - for me, she was a big
chunk of what sucked about Series 7 (no offense meant to Chloe, who's a
talented actress and very nice person).

--
Ann

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Heckler

Mar 21, 2005, 4:06:16 PM3/21/05
bewtifulfreak wrote:

> I know you guys all feel this way, but the excuse that they needed to have a
> chick to sell the movie was crap

A: I don't feel that way.. Kochanski is Scottish, and should speak with
a Scottish accent, and should also look like C.P.Grogan
B: They only needed the chic to sell the movie idea to the US morons in
the tv/movie industry who can't spot a good idea if it was to jump up
and down in front them waving a sign in pink neon, whilst it's twin blew
them.
C: Technically, there is no C, but I thought that having only 2 choices
was wrong, so I waffle on for a moment giving the illusion of actually
having a C:

Starbugaboo

Mar 21, 2005, 5:32:20 PM3/21/05
Heckler wrote:

> B: They only needed the chic to sell the movie idea to the US morons
> in the tv/movie industry who can't spot a good idea if it was to jump
> up and down in front them waving a sign in pink neon, whilst it's twin
> blew them.

Our tv industry absolutely doesn't know a good thing even when it orally
satisfies them but most of our tv shows are now based on British shows,
so who's really to blame?!

--
Starbugaboo

bewtifulfreak

Mar 21, 2005, 5:38:26 PM3/21/05

But considering how they tend to use the reverse Midas touch to turn good
British shows into crap, you can't really blame the source material!

--
Ann

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

bewtifulfreak

Mar 21, 2005, 5:44:30 PM3/21/05
Heckler wrote:
> bewtifulfreak wrote:
>

>> I know you guys all feel this way, but the excuse that they needed
>> to have a chick to sell the movie was crap
>

> A: I don't feel that way.

Glad to know it's not unanimous, then. :)

Kochanski is Scottish, and should speak
> with
> a Scottish accent, and should also look like C.P.Grogan

Absolutely. Not only are you right on about the accent, but her behavior
was much more the type I can see Lister being attracted to (playful and
lighthearted, despite her superior acheivement and great intelligence).

> B: They only needed the chic to sell the movie idea to the US morons
> in
> the tv/movie industry who can't spot a good idea if it was to jump up
> and down in front them waving a sign in pink neon, whilst it's twin
> blew them.

Again, agreed. As I mentioned, there is proof that all-male movies can in
fact be quite successful, but I realize they needed something to convince
the idiots who deal primarily in lowest common denominators.

> C: Technically, there is no C, but I thought that having only 2
> choices
> was wrong, so I waffle on for a moment giving the illusion of actually
> having a C:

I like the balance, works for me. :)

--
Ann

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Mr Flibble

Mar 21, 2005, 5:43:05 PM3/21/05
Heckler wrote:
> C: Technically, there is no C, but I thought that having only 2 choices
> was wrong, so I waffle on for a moment giving the illusion of actually
> having a C:

You could just have repeated one of the others, then I could have said
"I know that's only two options, but they were so important they
deserved saying twice."

--
Mr Flibble

Who'd clear up the mess?!
www.mrflibble.co.uk www.observationdome.org

Starbugaboo

Mar 21, 2005, 6:08:28 PM3/21/05
bewtifulfreak wrote:

> Starbugaboo wrote:
> >
> > Our tv industry absolutely doesn't know a good thing even when it
> > orally satisfies them but most of our tv shows are now based on
> > British shows, so who's really to blame?!
>
> But considering how they tend to use the reverse Midas touch to turn
> good British shows into crap, you can't really blame the source
> material!

Perhaps, but I was thinking along the lines of "Big Brother", "What not
to Wear", "Weakest Link" and the like so I wouldn't exactly put those in
the "good" category in the first place.

I just think American tv industries are looking for cheap rather than
good and are snagging the dregs of British tv. So please tell them to
stop making that crap so we'll have nothing to copy :)

--
Starbugaboo

Peter Chant

Mar 21, 2005, 7:35:34 PM3/21/05

> Perhaps, but I was thinking along the lines of "Big Brother", "What not
> to Wear", "Weakest Link" and the like so I wouldn't exactly put those in
> the "good" category in the first place.

I think Big Brother was originally Dutch. You can't blame us for that. As
for the other two, fair cop.

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

just bob

Mar 21, 2005, 10:58:12 PM3/21/05

"Starbugaboo" <starb...@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
Portugal.

Col

Mar 22, 2005, 1:22:50 AM3/22/05

"bewtifulfreak" <bewtif...@notmail.com> wrote in message

> Absolutely. Not only are you right on about the accent, but her behavior
> was much more the type I can see Lister being attracted to (playful and
> lighthearted, despite her superior acheivement and great intelligence).

Chloe Annette was far too snooty for Lister, she *was* brought
up in the Gorbals, remember! She wasn't at all like Lisa Yates,
wouldn't have going out with Chloe have meant Lister becoming
a class traitor, what would have happened when she wanted
to go into a WB?

Col
--
Why would a haddock kill itself?

Max

Mar 22, 2005, 8:29:50 AM3/22/05
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:06:16 +0000, Heckler <sp...@spam.com> wrote:

>A: I don't feel that way.. Kochanski is Scottish, and should speak with
>a Scottish accent, and should also look like C.P.Grogan
>B: They only needed the chic to sell the movie idea to the US morons in
>the tv/movie industry who can't spot a good idea if it was to jump up
>and down in front them waving a sign in pink neon, whilst it's twin blew
>them.

A female character may well make it a more attractive prospect to
other audiences and financers.

The mistake was making it Kochanski. They could have brought in the
exact same character played by Chloe and called her Jones and avoided
pissing off thousands of fans. The logic used to excuse her as
Kochanski made no sense. She looked totally different because she was
from a different universe - however Lister's reaction upon seeing her
was not the reaction of him seeing someone who looked different to his
lost love. There was nothing useful gained by the so-nearly-shared
history of calling her Kochanski. The odd jealousy for the other
version of himself that Lister feels could have made just as much
sense if his other self had been Jones' boyfriend.

Calling her Kochanski and rewriting her history was pointless, clunky
and at odds with what the previous version we'd seen of her. All the
stuff about her being Scottish was plain daft - if rewriting
everything else they might as well have dumped that too. That's a
great example of what was wrong - they suddenly retrofitted a private
school upbringing and a pony named Trumper to explain why she didn't
have a strong accent. But if that was the point where she diverged
from the Grogan Kochanski then how did they both get to the same point
of joining the space corps and going out with Lister? If that wasn't
the point where they diverged then why did the previous incarnation
have a Scottish accent?

It was plain dumb from start to end. You want a female character?
Write one. A new one. Don't "reintroduce" somebody who bears no
resemblence to their former self, it just involves extra baggage.
What's thepoint?

Max

bewtifulfreak

Mar 22, 2005, 4:37:57 AM3/22/05

Heehee....that's exactly how I always felt, that Lister might have found her
physically attractive, but wouldn't have fallen as hard as he did for such
an utter *snob*. Which is just totally inconsistant, because she wasn't a
snob in the early days (then again, she also didn't have an English accent,
and she and Lister hadn't actually had a relationship, either).

--
Ann

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

bewtifulfreak

Mar 22, 2005, 4:31:42 AM3/22/05

Ah, okay, I thought you meant the sitcoms, which started out great and were
bastardized beyond belief. Yes, British telly has a lot of crap as well,
but it sells, and that's all most TV execs care about; why concern yourself
with quality when people lap up the swill? Of course, what do you expect
from a country who counts Jerry Springer high amongst its favorite American
imports? (though I still suspect that's only because watching it gives the
Brits a comfortable sense of superiority) :p

--
Ann

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

bewtifulfreak

Mar 22, 2005, 9:48:19 AM3/22/05
Max wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:06:16 +0000, Heckler <sp...@spam.com> wrote:
>

>> A: I don't feel that way.. Kochanski is Scottish, and should speak
>> with a Scottish accent, and should also look like C.P.Grogan
>> B: They only needed the chic to sell the movie idea to the US morons
>> in the tv/movie industry who can't spot a good idea if it was to
>> jump up and down in front them waving a sign in pink neon, whilst
>> it's twin blew them.
>
> A female character may well make it a more attractive prospect to
> other audiences and financers.
>
> The mistake was making it Kochanski. They could have brought in the
> exact same character played by Chloe and called her Jones and avoided
> pissing off thousands of fans. The logic used to excuse her as
> Kochanski made no sense. She looked totally different because she was
> from a different universe - however Lister's reaction upon seeing her
> was not the reaction of him seeing someone who looked different to his
> lost love.

And the fact was, the Lister, Cat and Kryten from that different universe
didn't look any different, so that argument never really made any sense to
me. But yeah, all good points: why distort the facts out of all proportion
to fit her into the Kochanski role instead of introducing a completely
different female?

--
Ann

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

bewtifulfreak

Mar 22, 2005, 2:56:48 PM3/22/05
bandanadan wrote:
> "bewtifulfreak" <bewtif...@notmail.com> wrote in message

>> And the fact was, the Lister, Cat and Kryten from that different
>> universe didn't look any different, so that argument never really
>> made any sense to me. But yeah, all good points: why distort the
>> facts out of all proportion to fit her into the Kochanski role
>> instead of introducing a completely different female?

> Hell, if they desperately wanted a female on board,
> GIVE HOLLY ANOTHER ACTRESS!!!!111
>
>> ___<

Yes, but being only a head, she didn't have the all-important T&A factor
that movie execs value so highly. :p

I suppose they could have given her a breathy voice and pouty red lips and
made her all flirtatious, but as badly as Doug already compromised things, I
don't think even he'd go *that* far!

--
Ann

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Fraser Steele

Mar 22, 2005, 6:49:30 AM3/22/05
Starbugaboo <starb...@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message news:<423F53...@NOSPAMyahoo.com>...

> bewtifulfreak wrote:
> > But considering how they tend to use the reverse Midas touch to turn
> > good British shows into crap, you can't really blame the source
> > material!
>
> Perhaps, but I was thinking along the lines of "Big Brother", "What not
> to Wear", "Weakest Link" and the like so I wouldn't exactly put those in
> the "good" category in the first place.

Not 'good' but 'popular' and cheap to produce. The US version of Men
Behaving Badly and was awful - telegraphed jokes, a slim Dorothy,
clean flat. Urgh.

Fraser
I could rant on...

bandanadan

Mar 22, 2005, 10:04:54 AM3/22/05

"bewtifulfreak" <bewtif...@notmail.com> wrote in message

> And the fact was, the Lister, Cat and Kryten from that different universe
> didn't look any different, so that argument never really made any sense to
> me. But yeah, all good points: why distort the facts out of all
proportion
> to fit her into the Kochanski role instead of introducing a completely
> different female?
>
> --
> Ann
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

just bob

Mar 22, 2005, 4:26:37 PM3/22/05

"bewtifulfreak" <bewtif...@notmail.com> wrote in message
perhaps the T and the A could float about independantly behind her...
just a thought.
--
justbob

bewtifulfreak

Mar 23, 2005, 10:56:29 AM3/23/05
just bob wrote:
> "bewtifulfreak" <bewtif...@notmail.com> wrote in message
>> bandanadan wrote:
>>> "bewtifulfreak" <bewtif...@notmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Hell, if they desperately wanted a female on board,
>>> GIVE HOLLY ANOTHER ACTRESS!!!!111

>> Yes, but being only a head, she didn't have the all-important T&A
>> factor that movie execs value so highly. :p
>>
>> I suppose they could have given her a breathy voice and pouty red
>> lips and made her all flirtatious, but as badly as Doug already
>> compromised things, I
>> don't think even he'd go *that* far!
>>
> perhaps the T and the A could float about independantly behind her...
> just a thought.

Heehee.... :)

Hercule Platini

Mar 31, 2005, 5:16:22 PM3/31/05

"bandanadan" <si...@among.thecure.com> wrote in message

> PRODUCTION WISE
>
> *DO NOT make the cinematography and special effects epic
> or overdone. Example what NOT be done is Chronicles
> of Riddick, which made it look like a pretty, pretentious,
> pompous, piece of poo. And like in Series 7 and 8.
> Examples to follow are low budget honest constraints...
> such as Team America. Yeah, Bill Pop is good
> whatever he does.

I don't mind them making the cinematography and special effects epic, so
long as they're well done. This puppy is supposed to be costing 30 million
and if it looks like crap we and the investors are going to wonder where the
money went. My personal belief is that the effects should be physical,
model shots rather than computer generated. Models have a physical,
tangible reality to them; CGI are just numbers on a hard drive.

In the same way the music score should be orchestral rather than
synthesized, and no rubbish songs by yodelling halfwits who reached the
final of an ITV "talent" show. I'd also add NO hilarious cameos by big-name
stars such as Madonna, who (with the honourable exception of Evita) has
soured every single film she's been in, including the last Bond film.

> WRITTEN WISE
>
> *DO GET MORE PEOPLE ON THE OUTSIDE, and FANS
> who understand comedy to aid the script. What Doug and insiders
> on the crew may find funny, it may actually, be poo.

I seriously doubt any fans are going to be involved in the writing, at any
stage; besides, I gather the script is already written.

> *If the movie is a re-write of the story, then by all means RE-USE
> some jokes in the book and series, as we know they are funny.
> But for Series 9, I think, it's a great opportunity to get the
> actors to write things, or bring people like Ricki Gervais and
> David Williams :D

No. No. NO. NONONONONONONONONO. Absolutely NOT. No. No no no.

What on Earth makes you think those two would write better Dwarf than Doug
Naylor? This is my personal taste showing through here, but I'm going with
it. The Office was crap. What was the point of that show? I've been
working in offices for 20 years and I've worked for bigger, more egocentric,
more delusional idiots and with sadder, more useless, duller idiots than
those in the show. Were we supposed to like him? The thing with Gervais'
character in that show was he was a complete twat. But that hardly makes it
worthwhile watching him; he's unredeemable.

As for Walliams: Little Britain is a pile of shit.

Again: It's A PILE OF SHIT. I don't usually use that word in a public
newsgroup without a good reason, and this is a very good reason. It's just
not funny. Even the "blooper" outtakes aren't funny. The characters are
just annoying. Why am I supposed to want to watch them? Much of it is very
slight variations on a theme, such as the guy in the wheelchair who can
actually walk, and his friend doesn't know it. Okay, ha ha ha, but once
they've played that joke out, the next time those characters appear they're
doing pretty much exactly the same thing, just in a different room, or shop,
or park. I'll suggest that Walliams and Lucas might be good character
actors, but that's all.

> *DON'T structure the story like the RD novel Last Human,
> it just will be like any mediocre B-movie.

I'm sorry, I don't get this one. It's a while since I read it, but
structurally, I think Last Human is actually quite complex, utilising a lot
of flashbacks and scenes with two Listers (it's not a straight A-Z with one
set of the characters). That's not to say it's any good (I prefer
Backwards) but there's some excellent stuff in there; CyberHell for example.
The Mystic System of Justice is almost something that's come true in this
country, with Charles Clarke wanting to lock people up because they *might*
be terrorists, and the possibility being mooted from time to time that
people with certain mental health problems might be locked up even if
they've committed no crime, but they *might* commit a crime sometime in the
future.

> PERFORMANCE/WRITTEN WISE:
>
> *Make Cat more like the first 6 series of RD. In 7 and 8
> he was a charicature, as if Cat had been in an accident
> and lost more of his brain!

I'll agree here, but I think they were running out of things to do with The
Cat and were struggling. In S6 he suddenly got this nasal ability which
made him a great pilot, but in 8 he doesn't even have that, and he's out of
it for vast stretches of time.

> FAN SERVICE:
>
> *I like Chloé Annet, we need some skimpy!

Absolutely, though I suspect Doug Naylor doesn't want an NC-17 rating.....

--
Hercule Platini

"Contains nudity and dinosaurs."

Hercule Platini

Mar 31, 2005, 5:16:23 PM3/31/05

"bewtifulfreak" <bewtif...@notmail.com> wrote in message

[snipped because I've replied elsewhere and/or I agree]

> I know you guys all feel this way, but the excuse that they needed to have
> chick to sell the movie was crap - what about Master and Commander,
> amongst
> many, many others? I mean, I know that was big budget and big name, but
> say that a movie can't be successful with an all male cast, particularly
> when it did so well as a series, is just bullhockey in my opinion.

True, but Master and Commander had [1] some literary prestige and [2]
Russell Crowe. For some that's enough. I never saw it, but I gather it's
quite good. Besides, the director Peter Weir has assembled enough of a
reputation over the years that he can go for a project like that whereas a
new director wouldn't be able to.

--
Hercule Platini

"The Fijian Connection."

bewtifulfreak

Mar 31, 2005, 7:05:43 PM3/31/05

Yeah, as I said, I realize it was a big budget flick with a big name, but it
does show that a film *can* be highly successful with an all male cast. But
of course I realize that if the studios don't have that guarantee, they at
least want to know they have the draw of the almighty female form as
insurance. :p

--
Ann

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Starbugaboo

Apr 1, 2005, 12:03:57 PM4/1/05
Hercule Platini wrote:

> "bandanadan" <si...@among.thecure.com> wrote in message
> > *DO GET MORE PEOPLE ON THE OUTSIDE, and FANS
> > who understand comedy to aid the script. What Doug and insiders
> > on the crew may find funny, it may actually, be poo.
>
> I seriously doubt any fans are going to be involved in the writing, at
> any stage; besides, I gather the script is already written.
>
> > *If the movie is a re-write of the story, then by all means RE-USE
> > some jokes in the book and series, as we know they are funny.
> > But for Series 9, I think, it's a great opportunity to get the
> > actors to write things, or bring people like Ricki Gervais and
> > David Williams :D
>
> No. No. NO. NONONONONONONONONO. Absolutely NOT. No. No no no.
>
> What on Earth makes you think those two would write better Dwarf than
> Doug Naylor?

Well, the lack of the same level of humor that we're used to from RD in
seasons 7 and 8 would seem to suggest that it needs a fresh viewpoint. I
would still say Doug should be the major decision-maker on the script,
but I agree with bandanadan, that it could use someone else to fine tune
it humorwise.

> This is my personal taste showing through here, but I'm going with
> it. The Office was crap. What was the point of that show? I've been
> working in offices for 20 years and I've worked for bigger, more
> egocentric, more delusional idiots and with sadder, more useless,
> duller idiots than those in the show.

Hmm... I think the show is hilarious. The thing is that I've worked with
idiots too and I find it theraputic to laugh at it all when you're not
in the middle of it. Office politics alone make me want to heave, but
when I tell my friends some of the stories they crack up. It's just
funny when it's not happening to you but you can relate to it... in my
opinion, of course.

> Were we supposed to like him? The thing with Gervais'
> character in that show was he was a complete twat. But that hardly
> makes it worthwhile watching him; he's unredeemable.

No, you're not supposed to like him. Pity him maybe because he's so
dillusional. And laugh at his dillusions definitiely. And I don't know
if I'd call him unredeemable. The point is that he knows there are
cameras on him and is trying to look like the "cool boss" and in trying
so hard, he looks like a more pathetic boss than he probably normally
is. You can see it in his eye when he realizes that something went over
badly and he squirms while trying to explain it away to the camera,
which is what makes him a bit sympathetic and therefore a bit
redeemable. Again, just my opinion.

> As for Walliams: Little Britain is a pile of shit.
>
> Again: It's A PILE OF SHIT. I don't usually use that word in a public
> newsgroup without a good reason, and this is a very good reason. It's
> just not funny. Even the "blooper" outtakes aren't funny. The
> characters are just annoying. Why am I supposed to want to watch
> them? Much of it is very slight variations on a theme, such as the
> guy in the wheelchair who can actually walk, and his friend doesn't
> know it. Okay, ha ha ha, but once they've played that joke out, the
> next time those characters appear they're doing pretty much exactly
> the same thing, just in a different room, or shop, or park. I'll
> suggest that Walliams and Lucas might be good character
> actors, but that's all.

I've only ever seen bits and pieces of this show and I found some of the
sketches funny but I admit that if they kept doing the same thing over
and over in a different setting, it would get old fast... much like
Duane Dibbly got old fast.

--
Starbugaboo

Starbugaboo

Apr 1, 2005, 12:10:41 PM4/1/05
bewtifulfreak wrote:

> Hercule Platini wrote:
> > True, but Master and Commander had [1] some literary prestige and
> > [2] Russell Crowe. For some that's enough. I never saw it, but I
> > gather
> > it's quite good. Besides, the director Peter Weir has assembled
> > enough of a reputation over the years that he can go for a project
> > like that whereas a new director wouldn't be able to.
>
> Yeah, as I said, I realize it was a big budget flick with a big name,
> but it does show that a film *can* be highly successful with an all
> male cast. But of course I realize that if the studios don't have
> that guarantee, they at least want to know they have the draw of the
> almighty female form as insurance. :p

They can have females in the confines of the "Better than Life" game
which they could have Lister enjoying a few times throughout the film
(and if they feel the absolute need to do stunt casting, that's where
that should take place as well), but I sure hope they stick to the
original concept of RD otherwise and that does not include oodles of
gorgeous women running about.

--
Starbugaboo

bewtifulfreak

Apr 1, 2005, 3:44:11 PM4/1/05

I hope so, too, and I don't know that they even would - though now you
mention it, it could get ugly if Doug bows to studio pressure! - but I'm
really just bitching about them feeling they even had to bring Kochanski in
for that purpose. I mean, you make a great point that they could have had
females in the movie in the context of virtual reality, there was no
absolute need to bring Kochanski in, although I suppose there's probably
some general requirement by the studios - with some rare exceptions such as
I mentioned - that there be at least one female lead, since I'm sure they
believe that that's what a film usually requires to be successful. I guess
it's just one of those stupid arbitrary standards, like guys being allowed
to have mustaches on certain jobs where they can't have neatly trimmed
beards for whatever weird reason (sorry, didn't mean to go there again, but
my hubby's applied for this new job, and I'm really gonna miss his beard if
he gets it, though I'll still be very glad if he does)!

--
Ann

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

bewtifulfreak

Apr 1, 2005, 4:04:51 PM4/1/05
Starbugaboo wrote:
> Hercule Platini wrote:
>>
>> "bandanadan" <si...@among.thecure.com> wrote in message
>>> *DO GET MORE PEOPLE ON THE OUTSIDE, and FANS
>>> who understand comedy to aid the script. What Doug and insiders
>>> on the crew may find funny, it may actually, be poo.
>>
>> I seriously doubt any fans are going to be involved in the writing,
>> at any stage; besides, I gather the script is already written.
>>
>>> *If the movie is a re-write of the story, then by all means RE-USE
>>> some jokes in the book and series, as we know they are funny.
>>> But for Series 9, I think, it's a great opportunity to get the
>>> actors to write things, or bring people like Ricki Gervais and
>>> David Williams :D
>>
>> No. No. NO. NONONONONONONONONO. Absolutely NOT. No. No no no.
>>
>> What on Earth makes you think those two would write better Dwarf than
>> Doug Naylor?
>
> Well, the lack of the same level of humor that we're used to from RD
> in seasons 7 and 8 would seem to suggest that it needs a fresh
> viewpoint. I would still say Doug should be the major decision-maker
> on the script, but I agree with bandanadan, that it could use someone
> else to fine tune it humorwise.

Yeah, not someone instead of Doug, but along with Doug. But as was
mentioned, I think the script is already completed.

>> This is my personal taste showing through here, but I'm going with
>> it. The Office was crap. What was the point of that show? I've
>> been working in offices for 20 years and I've worked for bigger, more
>> egocentric, more delusional idiots and with sadder, more useless,
>> duller idiots than those in the show.
>
> Hmm... I think the show is hilarious. The thing is that I've worked
> with idiots too and I find it theraputic to laugh at it all when
> you're not in the middle of it. Office politics alone make me want to
> heave, but when I tell my friends some of the stories they crack up.
> It's just funny when it's not happening to you but you can relate to
> it... in my opinion, of course.

Guess I was that traumatized by my time in an office job that I don't find
anything about it remotely humorous (what little I've seen of it, anyway).
But then I don't like a lot of shows here that other people love, mostly
because I can't really appreciate humor where the characters aren't remotely
sympathetic, as with a lot of English humor. I mean, I get how they're
funny, and I can sometimes appreciate them to an extent, but I generally
don't enjoy comedy as much when I don't like any of the characters.

>> Were we supposed to like him? The thing with Gervais'
>> character in that show was he was a complete twat. But that hardly
>> makes it worthwhile watching him; he's unredeemable.
>
> No, you're not supposed to like him. Pity him maybe because he's so
> dillusional. And laugh at his dillusions definitiely. And I don't know
> if I'd call him unredeemable. The point is that he knows there are
> cameras on him and is trying to look like the "cool boss" and in
> trying so hard, he looks like a more pathetic boss than he probably
> normally is. You can see it in his eye when he realizes that
> something went over badly and he squirms while trying to explain it
> away to the camera, which is what makes him a bit sympathetic and
> therefore a bit redeemable. Again, just my opinion.

Ah, must clarify here....in my case, sympathetic sometimes helps, but is not
the same as like, so not always. And it also depends if there's anyone to
balance out the unpleasant characters; as much as I get a kick out him
within context and actually feel for him a lot of the time, I think a show
centering entirely around Rimmer would not be something I would enjoy.

>> As for Walliams: Little Britain is a pile of shit.
>>
>> Again: It's A PILE OF SHIT. I don't usually use that word in a
>> public newsgroup without a good reason, and this is a very good
>> reason. It's just not funny. Even the "blooper" outtakes aren't
>> funny. The characters are just annoying. Why am I supposed to want
>> to watch them? Much of it is very slight variations on a theme,
>> such as the guy in the wheelchair who can actually walk, and his
>> friend doesn't know it. Okay, ha ha ha, but once they've played
>> that joke out, the next time those characters appear they're doing
>> pretty much exactly the same thing, just in a different room, or
>> shop, or park. I'll suggest that Walliams and Lucas might be good
>> character
>> actors, but that's all.
>
> I've only ever seen bits and pieces of this show and I found some of
> the sketches funny but I admit that if they kept doing the same thing
> over and over in a different setting, it would get old fast... much
> like Duane Dibbly got old fast.

Same here....I found some of it funny, some of it OTT, and a lot of it
repetitive. One thing I appreciated about The Fast Show, whether you liked
it or not, was that unlike some sketch shows I've seen, not only were they
often able to make ongoing gags work, but they had the sense when they did
something particularly silly to just leave it at a few second blip (I'm
thinking of stuff like the Peruvian pipers, or that newsguy that kept
popping up everywhere), instead of trying to stretch something utterly pants
into a full-sketch like Saturday Night Live - American version - so often
did in it's later incarnations; how many times have you watched something
and thought that it was funny for the first few seconds, but got really old
really fast? But they seemed to know how not to do things to death, and
done in that way, just having certain silly things popping up very briefly
here and there, or putting a totally new twist on a running joke, the
repetition actually made those daft things quite funny. I don't like every
character or sketch they did, but overall, I get quite a kick out of the
show, on the rare occasion I catch it anymore.

(Don't know if you get it on BBC America, so some of you may not even know
what I'm talking about!)

--
Ann

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Starbugaboo

Apr 1, 2005, 5:00:46 PM4/1/05
bewtifulfreak wrote:

> Same here....I found some of it funny, some of it OTT, and a lot of it
> repetitive. One thing I appreciated about The Fast Show, whether you
> liked it or not, was that unlike some sketch shows I've seen, not only
> were they often able to make ongoing gags work, but they had the sense
> when they did something particularly silly to just leave it at a few
> second blip (I'm thinking of stuff like the Peruvian pipers, or that
> newsguy that kept popping up everywhere), instead of trying to stretch
> something utterly pants
> into a full-sketch like Saturday Night Live - American version - so
> often did in it's later incarnations; how many times have you watched
> something and thought that it was funny for the first few seconds, but
> got really old really fast? But they seemed to know how not to do
> things to death, and done in that way, just having certain silly
> things popping up very briefly here and there, or putting a totally
> new twist on a running joke, the repetition actually made those daft
> things quite funny. I don't like every character or sketch they did,
> but overall, I get quite a kick out of the show, on the rare occasion
> I catch it anymore.
>
> (Don't know if you get it on BBC America, so some of you may not even
> know what I'm talking about!)

I don't think BBC America has shown it but I did see it years ago on
bootleg video. I remember thinking that some of the sketches were quite
good and others quite unfunny. Some of the repetitive ones I didn't like
just because I never thought it was funny in the first incarnation while
others I thought were funny every time. Is that the show with the
"cheesy peas" ad or was that in Harry Enfield's show? Anyway, I do like
Paul Whitehouse so I'll usually check out whatever he's in.

--
Starbugaboo

bewtifulfreak

Apr 1, 2005, 5:16:00 PM4/1/05
Starbugaboo wrote:
> bewtifulfreak wrote:

Re: The Fast Show

>> (Don't know if you get it on BBC America, so some of you may not even
>> know what I'm talking about!)
>
> I don't think BBC America has shown it but I did see it years ago on
> bootleg video. I remember thinking that some of the sketches were
> quite good and others quite unfunny.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about it. And I find enough of them
funny enough that I'm willing to sit through the ones I don't to get to the
next funny one.

Some of the repetitive ones I
> didn't like just because I never thought it was funny in the first
> incarnation while others I thought were funny every time.

Oh, yeah, same here....I thought it was great the way they managed to keep
the good gags running without slaughtering them, but I wasn't amused by all
of them by any means.

Is that the
> show with the "cheesy peas" ad or was that in Harry Enfield's show?

That's the one. :)

> Anyway, I do like Paul Whitehouse so I'll usually check out whatever
> he's in.

Yeah, I quite like him as well, though I haven't really seen him in anything
else, other than commercials for the sports quiz show he did in the
incarnation of the sportscaster he portrayed on The Fast Show.

--
Ann

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Lister

Apr 1, 2005, 5:40:12 PM4/1/05
La tempo, Fri, 1 Apr 2005 23:16:00 +0100 , La loco, alt.tv.red-dwarf
. "bewtifulfreak" <bewtif...@notmail.com> scribis

>> Anyway, I do like Paul Whitehouse so I'll usually check out whatever
>> he's in.
>
>Yeah, I quite like him as well, though I haven't really seen him in anything
>else, other than commercials for the sports quiz show he did in the
>incarnation of the sportscaster he portrayed on The Fast Show.

Paul Whitehouse can often be seen with Harry Enfield. Have a look for
Harry Enfield and chums, which has also got Charlie Higson and Kathy
Burke in it

--
All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, worn out faces

Mr Flibble

Apr 3, 2005, 9:02:26 PM4/3/05
Hercule Platini wrote:
> Absolutely, though I suspect Doug Naylor doesn't want an NC-17 rating.....

This is an important point. They're going to be aiming for a 12A with
this movie.

Hercule Platini

Apr 12, 2005, 4:39:07 PM4/12/05

> They can have females in the confines of the "Better than Life" game
> which they could have Lister enjoying a few times throughout the film
> (and if they feel the absolute need to do stunt casting, that's where
> that should take place as well), but I sure hope they stick to the
> original concept of RD otherwise and that does not include oodles of
> gorgeous women running about.

It's also possible that Doug's got his eye on the upcoming Hitch-hiker's
Guide movie, to see what they do right/wrong. Although after this all this
time, the RD script should be pretty much nailed down.

I don't mind oddles of gorgeous women running about, so long as they don't
talk during the film.

--
Hercule Platini

"Blah blah blah."

Hercule Platini

Apr 12, 2005, 4:39:08 PM4/12/05

> I hope so, too, and I don't know that they even would - though now you
> mention it, it could get ugly if Doug bows to studio pressure! - but I'm
> really just bitching about them feeling they even had to bring Kochanski
> in
> for that purpose. I mean, you make a great point that they could have had
> females in the movie in the context of virtual reality, there was no
> absolute need to bring Kochanski in, although I suppose there's probably
> some general requirement by the studios - with some rare exceptions such
> as
> I mentioned - that there be at least one female lead, since I'm sure they
> believe that that's what a film usually requires to be successful.

I mentioned this in a post a few minutes ago - I don't know that Series 7
could have worked without Rimmer as well as Holly and the Dwarf; just
Lister, Cat and Kryten. I think that would have been incredibly difficult
to pull off, especially without Rob Grant.

> I guess
> it's just one of those stupid arbitrary standards, like guys being allowed
> to have mustaches on certain jobs where they can't have neatly trimmed
> beards for whatever weird reason (sorry, didn't mean to go there again,
> but
> my hubby's applied for this new job, and I'm really gonna miss his beard
> if
> he gets it, though I'll still be very glad if he does)!

Jesus had a beard.

--
Hercule Platini

"Here endeth the lesson."

bewtifulfreak

Apr 13, 2005, 6:52:20 AM4/13/05
Hercule Platini wrote:
> "bewtifulfreak" <bewtif...@notmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I hope so, too, and I don't know that they even would - though now
>> you mention it, it could get ugly if Doug bows to studio pressure! -
>> but I'm really just bitching about them feeling they even had to
>> bring Kochanski in
>> for that purpose. I mean, you make a great point that they could
>> have had females in the movie in the context of virtual reality,
>> there was no absolute need to bring Kochanski in, although I suppose
>> there's probably some general requirement by the studios - with some
>> rare exceptions such as
>> I mentioned - that there be at least one female lead, since I'm sure
>> they believe that that's what a film usually requires to be
>> successful.
>
> I mentioned this in a post a few minutes ago - I don't know that
> Series 7 could have worked without Rimmer as well as Holly and the
> Dwarf; just Lister, Cat and Kryten. I think that would have been
> incredibly difficult to pull off, especially without Rob Grant.

Oh, I agree there was room and perhaps even need for the re-introduction of
a character, but as I said in my recent post, I just don't like the way it
was executed.

>> I guess
>> it's just one of those stupid arbitrary standards, like guys being
>> allowed to have mustaches on certain jobs where they can't have
>> neatly trimmed beards for whatever weird reason (sorry, didn't mean
>> to go there again, but
>> my hubby's applied for this new job, and I'm really gonna miss his
>> beard if
>> he gets it, though I'll still be very glad if he does)!
>

> Jesus had a beard.

Would that make him my own Personal Jesus (if he hadn't shaved it already,
that is)? ;)

--
Ann

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

gar...@ntlworld.com

Apr 16, 2005, 7:58:11 PM4/16/05

bewtifulfreak wrote:
> Hercule Platini wrote:
> > Jesus had a beard.
> Would that make him my own Personal Jesus (if he hadn't shaved it
already,
> that is)? ;)

That's odd... you don't strike me as a Marilyn Manson fan...

Garth - thinking.

Fraser Steele

Apr 18, 2005, 10:57:24 PM4/18/05
"gar...@ntlworld.com" <gar...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<1113695891.7...@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>...

Wasn't that Depeche Mode?

Fraser
Or has MM covered it?

Lister

Apr 19, 2005, 1:51:13 PM4/19/05
On 18 Apr 2005 19:57:24 -0700, fraser...@yahoo.co.uk (Fraser

Steele) wrote:

>> That's odd... you don't strike me as a Marilyn Manson fan...
>>

>Wasn't that Depeche Mode?
>
>Fraser
>Or has MM covered it?

Yes

Hercule Platini

Apr 20, 2005, 3:27:59 PM4/20/05

> Hercule Platini wrote:
>> "bewtifulfreak" <bewtif...@notmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I hope so, too, and I don't know that they even would - though now
>>> you mention it, it could get ugly if Doug bows to studio pressure! -
>>> but I'm really just bitching about them feeling they even had to
>>> bring Kochanski in
>>> for that purpose. I mean, you make a great point that they could
>>> have had females in the movie in the context of virtual reality,
>>> there was no absolute need to bring Kochanski in, although I suppose
>>> there's probably some general requirement by the studios - with some
>>> rare exceptions such as
>>> I mentioned - that there be at least one female lead, since I'm sure
>>> they believe that that's what a film usually requires to be
>>> successful.
>>
>> I mentioned this in a post a few minutes ago - I don't know that
>> Series 7 could have worked without Rimmer as well as Holly and the
>> Dwarf; just Lister, Cat and Kryten. I think that would have been
>> incredibly difficult to pull off, especially without Rob Grant.
>
> Oh, I agree there was room and perhaps even need for the re-introduction
> of
> a character, but as I said in my recent post, I just don't like the way it
> was executed.

Same here.

>>> I guess
>>> it's just one of those stupid arbitrary standards, like guys being
>>> allowed to have mustaches on certain jobs where they can't have
>>> neatly trimmed beards for whatever weird reason (sorry, didn't mean
>>> to go there again, but
>>> my hubby's applied for this new job, and I'm really gonna miss his
>>> beard if
>>> he gets it, though I'll still be very glad if he does)!
>>

>> Jesus had a beard.
>
> Would that make him my own Personal Jesus (if he hadn't shaved it already,
> that is)? ;)

That is straying a little into areas way, way beyond my limits.

--
Hercule XXVI

"Swirly things."

gar...@ntlworld.com

Apr 20, 2005, 10:41:00 PM4/20/05
Fraser Steele wrote:
> "gar...@ntlworld.com" <gar...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > bewtifulfreak wrote:
> > > Would that make him my own Personal Jesus (if he hadn't shaved it
> > > already, that is)? ;)
> > That's odd... you don't strike me as a Marilyn Manson fan...
> Wasn't that Depeche Mode?

Yes, they them before.

> Fraser
> Or has MM covered it?

Yes, him after.

Garth

Presently Absent

Apr 26, 2005, 8:34:27 PM4/26/05
OK I can stand it no longer!

A: While I agree that Chloe is Scottish, the name Kochanski is Polish

B: Yeah, we're so bad at it you've been just dying to get us to fund it so
you can watch it! (Seeing
as BBC hasn't figured out how to make money on 9 and movie)

C: Obviously you DON'T C

"bewtifulfreak" <bewtif...@notmail.com> wrote in message

> Heckler wrote:

> > bewtifulfreak wrote:
> >

> >> I know you guys all feel this way, but the excuse that they needed
> >> to have a chick to sell the movie was crap
> >

> > A: I don't feel that way.
>

> Glad to know it's not unanimous, then. :)

> Kochanski is Scottish, and should speak
> > with
> > a Scottish accent, and should also look like C.P.Grogan
>

> Absolutely. Not only are you right on about the accent, but her behavior
> was much more the type I can see Lister being attracted to (playful and
> lighthearted, despite her superior acheivement and great intelligence).

> > B: They only needed the chic to sell the movie idea to the US morons
> > in
> > the tv/movie industry who can't spot a good idea if it was to jump up
> > and down in front them waving a sign in pink neon, whilst it's twin
> > blew them.
>

> Again, agreed. As I mentioned, there is proof that all-male movies can in
> fact be quite successful, but I realize they needed something to convince
> the idiots who deal primarily in lowest common denominators.
>

> > C: Technically, there is no C, but I thought that having only 2
> > choices
> > was wrong, so I waffle on for a moment giving the illusion of actually
> > having a C:
>
> I like the balance, works for me. :)
>
> --
> Ann
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Ann Canlin

Apr 27, 2005, 9:40:52 AM4/27/05

Heehee....sorry, not trying to get controversial, just thinking of the song.
:) Depeche Mode version, by the way, Garth - can't remember if I've
actually heard Marilyn's version, though he did a pretty good cover of
"Tainted Love". Like one or two of his songs, but wouldn't call myself a
fan, no, not that I have to be a fan of somehing to have it go through my
head anyway, sometimes the polar opposite!

--
Ann

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Ann Canlin

Apr 27, 2005, 10:05:06 AM4/27/05
Presently Absent wrote:
> OK I can stand it no longer!
>
> A: While I agree that Chloe is Scottish, the name Kochanski is Polish

The name may be Polish, but Kochanski (both of them) was either partially
Scottish, and/or at least grew up and went to school there. Therefore, it
makes more sense that she would have a Scottish accent like the original
than an English accent like the S7 version. The only reason I could see
otherwise is if they encouraged the parallel universe version to adopt a
posh English accent at school, but I thought it was generally only aspiring
actors and presenters that did things like that, not flight engineers.

Now I think of it, the parallel Lister from Ace's universe had a different
accent as well, but I don't understand that any more than Kochanski's,
because his and the original's life supposedly went in different directions
due to his having a different roommate on Red Dwarf, not a different past
(but then, that was the book version, they might have a different unwritten
background for the telly version, or maybe just thought it would be funnier
for Lister to talk in a different, smoother accent being that he was
supposed to be so different).

> B: Yeah, we're so bad at it you've been just dying to get us to fund
> it so you can watch it! (Seeing
> as BBC hasn't figured out how to make money on 9 and movie)

A movie is a completely different entity from a series, so of course we're
looking forward to it, though I don't think many of us are particularly
'dying' to see it (though we probably would be if we really thought that a)
it would happen, and b) it would be any good* - at the moment most of us are
just vaguely wishing that would be the case, but not really counting on it).
And heck, we'd probably look forward to S9 if we thought it was a real
possibility, but only in hopes that it would be better than S7&8. Just
because you dislike a direction something you liked went in doesn't mean you
don't still look forward to future offerings in hopes they'll be better.

* (And no, I'm not changing my former position - I think it's fine to have
low expectations based on the evidence, but I still think it's ridiculous to
say conclusively that something definitely isn't happening or won't be any
good when it's not been abandoned or released yet.)

> C: Obviously you DON'T C

O, I C just fine, I just happen to have formed a different opinion based on
what I C. :)

--
Ann

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Starbugaboo

Apr 27, 2005, 12:21:11 PM4/27/05
Presently Absent wrote:

> OK I can stand it no longer!
>
> A: While I agree that Chloe is Scottish, the name Kochanski is Polish

How is that relevant? Some of her ancestors were Polish... so? She is a
Scottish citizen and having been raised there would have a Scottish
accent.

--
Starbugaboo

Ronnie Clark

Apr 27, 2005, 12:31:58 PM4/27/05

"Starbugaboo" <starb...@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

Indeed. My family name is Cassinello (Italian), I am Irish, I speak with a
dull English Midlands accent.

--
Ronnie

Starbugaboo

Apr 28, 2005, 2:55:56 PM4/28/05
Ronnie Clark wrote:

> "Starbugaboo" <starb...@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Presently Absent wrote:
> > >
> > > OK I can stand it no longer!
> > >
> > > A: While I agree that Chloe is Scottish, the name Kochanski is
> > > Polish
> >
> > How is that relevant? Some of her ancestors were Polish... so? She
> > is a Scottish citizen and having been raised there would have a
> > Scottish accent.
>
> Indeed. My family name is Cassinello (Italian), I am Irish, I speak
> with a dull English Midlands accent.

Hehe, my last name is Irish but I have a very midwestern American accent
(though, since I've moved to California, I'm trying to spice it up with
some valley-girl traits so I can sound like I'm stuck in bad movies of
the 80's)

--
Starbugaboo

Ann Canlin

Apr 28, 2005, 4:49:48 PM4/28/05

Sadly, I already sound like that most of the time - guess that's what comes
of growing up in California in the 80s. :)

(You should hear Midlands slang in a Valley Girl accent, trés hilarious!)

--
Ann

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Mr Flibble

Apr 28, 2005, 5:50:14 PM4/28/05
Ann Canlin wrote:
> (You should hear Midlands slang in a Valley Girl accent, trés hilarious!)

Can you tell me some Midlands slang please?

I never seem to notice any from the Midlands, but that's because I'm
from East Anglia.

Unless we're talking West Midlands of course.

Ann Canlin

Apr 28, 2005, 11:58:48 PM4/28/05
Mr Flibble wrote:
> Ann Canlin wrote:
>> (You should hear Midlands slang in a Valley Girl accent, trés
>> hilarious!)
>
> Can you tell me some Midlands slang please?
>
> I never seem to notice any from the Midlands, but that's because I'm
> from East Anglia.
>
> Unless we're talking West Midlands of course.

Actually, I'm in East Midlands. Some of the terms that have become part of
my vernacular, which may be heard elsewhere but are especially common in
this area, are:

ey up (greeting)
duck (in the same way you would call someone 'luv', as in, "Ey up, me
duck!")
nesh (adj) (used to describe someone who feels the cold easily - also a soft
person, though we never really use it that way)
manny (adj)/man-tod (n) (pushy, tantrum-y, like a spoiled child, 'stroppy'
being another word we use for the same sort of thing)
mardy (adj)/mard-arse (n) (cry-baby)
faffin' (v) (dawdling, though the actually definition says "fussing;
worrying; panicky", but the meaning seems to have morphed a bit)
doolally (adj) (nutty, crazy)
mash (v) (instead of brew, as in "mash the tea", though we sometimes refer
to mashed potatoes as just mash as well)
laggy band (n) (elastic band)

There are a lot of others I've heard, like stret-eyed for cross-eyed,
scraitin' for crying, and lugs for ears and things like that, but those are
more ones I hear my hubby and his family use which I haven't really picked
up myself. And there are other general English slang words and phrases that
I have picked up which sound fairly amusing in Valley Girl speak as well,
like 'owt' and 'nowt' (anything and nothing), 'summit' (something), 'and
all' (too, also, as well), 'dozy' (slow, dingy, stupid), and 'bloody',
prounounced in the correct manner taught to me by my father in law,
"bluw-dy" being the closest I can get phonetically - as in "bluw-dy *hell*!"
;) But most of those listed above were ones I found in the "Ey Up Mi Duck!"
book, so I know they're specifically Midlands terms (that book actually
being even more specifically about Ilkeston - the town my hubby was born and
raised, where we currently live - and the surrounding areas of Derbyshire
and the Erewash Valley). :)

Ey Up Mi Duck! on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1853066583/qid=1114746268/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_8_1/026-8975994-0809239

An interesting article on the East Midlands dialect:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/eastmidlands/series7/dialect_voices.shtml

--
Ann

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Mr Flibble

Apr 29, 2005, 3:17:41 AM4/29/05
Ann Canlin wrote:
> Actually, I'm in East Midlands. Some of the terms that have become part of
> my vernacular, which may be heard elsewhere but are especially common in
> this area, are:

Sounds more Yorkshire to me :)

I shall have to ask my northern friends what slang I use.

Ann Canlin

Apr 29, 2005, 8:59:09 AM4/29/05
Mr Flibble wrote:
> Ann Canlin wrote:
>> Actually, I'm in East Midlands. Some of the terms that have become
>> part of my vernacular, which may be heard elsewhere but are
>> especially common in this area, are:
>
> Sounds more Yorkshire to me :)

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of it does seem very similar, certainly 'owt' and
'nowt', which is why I put those under general English slang I use, as
opposed to specific to this area. This is a mining community, and as the
book said, labor came from all over and the slang travelled with it, so some
of those terms may indeed be used elsewhere. It's certainly similar to
Yorkshire as far as t' - I can't find it now, but the book mentioned
something about Ilkeston being one of the only places where "Tin tin tin" is
a sentence ("It isn't in the tin"). ;)

> I shall have to ask my northern friends what slang I use.

I'd be interested to hear. :)

--
Ann

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Starbugaboo

Apr 29, 2005, 12:58:33 PM4/29/05
Ann Canlin wrote:

> Mr Flibble wrote:
> > Ann Canlin wrote:
> >> (You should hear Midlands slang in a Valley Girl accent, trés
> >> hilarious!)
> >
> > Can you tell me some Midlands slang please?
> >
> > I never seem to notice any from the Midlands, but that's because I'm
> > from East Anglia.
> >
> > Unless we're talking West Midlands of course.
>
> Actually, I'm in East Midlands. Some of the terms that have become
> part of my vernacular, which may be heard elsewhere but are especially
> common in this area, are:

Okay, just where is "East Midlands" exactly... what towns are involved?
I'm Californian so I don't know these things.

--
Starbugaboo

Mr Flibble

Apr 29, 2005, 1:03:48 PM4/29/05
Starbugaboo wrote:
> Okay, just where is "East Midlands" exactly... what towns are involved?
> I'm Californian so I don't know these things.

Derbyshire, Northamptonshire, that sort of area.

Ann Canlin

Apr 29, 2005, 1:44:26 PM4/29/05
Mr Flibble wrote:
> Starbugaboo wrote:
>> Okay, just where is "East Midlands" exactly... what towns are
>> involved? I'm Californian so I don't know these things.
>
> Derbyshire, Northamptonshire, that sort of area.

And Nottingham, the closest thing to where we are that I think would ring a
bell for Americans (we're on the border between Notts and Derby). :)

--
Ann

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Mr Flibble

Apr 29, 2005, 2:12:01 PM4/29/05
Ann Canlin wrote:
> And Nottingham, the closest thing to where we are that I think would ring a
> bell for Americans (we're on the border between Notts and Derby). :)

Ahh, yes, Nottingham. Mansfield. That area :)

Starbugaboo

Apr 29, 2005, 3:27:14 PM4/29/05
Ann Canlin wrote:

> Mr Flibble wrote:
> > Starbugaboo wrote:
> >> Okay, just where is "East Midlands" exactly... what towns are
> >> involved? I'm Californian so I don't know these things.
> >
> > Derbyshire, Northamptonshire, that sort of area.
>
> And Nottingham, the closest thing to where we are that I think would ring a
> bell for Americans (we're on the border between Notts and Derby). :)

Ah okay... I've been to Nottingham so that helps a bunch with the map in
my head. As a matter of fact, the cheesiest tourest attraction I've ever
been to resides there... had us laughing for hours.

--
Starbugaboo

gar...@ntlworld.com

Apr 29, 2005, 8:37:45 PM4/29/05
Starbugaboo wrote:

> Ann Canlin wrote:
> > And Nottingham, the closest thing to where we are that I think
would ring a
> > bell for Americans (we're on the border between Notts and Derby).
:)
> Ah okay... I've been to Nottingham so that helps a bunch with the map
in
> my head. As a matter of fact, the cheesiest tourest attraction I've
ever
> been to resides there... had us laughing for hours.

Funny, I always considered Nottingham to be a cheesy tourist
attraction...

I mean, c'mon, 2 football teams and they could be playing each other
next season!! they're both shite.

Garth

Ann Canlin

Apr 29, 2005, 11:13:24 PM4/29/05

Would that be Tales of Robin Hood? I've not been there myself, but my hubby
said it's infamous for its cheese factor - I get images of The Rimmer
Experience, but with Robin Hood instead of Rimmer. :)

--
Ann

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Mr Flibble

Apr 30, 2005, 3:06:55 AM4/30/05
Ann Canlin wrote:
> Would that be Tales of Robin Hood? I've not been there myself, but my hubby
> said it's infamous for its cheese factor - I get images of The Rimmer
> Experience, but with Robin Hood instead of Rimmer. :)

If you're in trouble he can save the day,
He's brave and he's fearless and he gives his money away,
Without him the sherrif would have his way,

He's Robin, Robin, Robin Ho-od,
He's very sexy, you know you would,
I can't think of more rhymes - oh go-od,
That's the end then, I'm in a mo-od.

Presently Absent

Apr 30, 2005, 5:02:29 PM4/30/05

"Ann Canlin" <bewtif...@notmail.com> wrote in message

> Mr Flibble wrote:
> > Starbugaboo wrote:
> >> Okay, just where is "East Midlands" exactly... what towns are
> >> involved? I'm Californian so I don't know these things.
> >
> > Derbyshire, Northamptonshire, that sort of area.
>
> And Nottingham,

And that's me bloody name! (He says with a New Yprk accent!)

Presently Absent

Apr 30, 2005, 5:05:25 PM4/30/05

> Starbugaboo wrote:
> > Ann Canlin wrote:
> > > And Nottingham, the closest thing to where we are that I think
> would ring a
> > > bell for Americans (we're on the border between Notts and Derby).
> :)
> > Ah okay... I've been to Nottingham so that helps a bunch with the map
> in
> > my head. As a matter of fact, the cheesiest tourest attraction I've
> ever
> > been to resides there... had us laughing for hours.
>
> Funny, I always considered Nottingham to be a cheesy tourist
> attraction...

I've been called much worse than a cheesy tourist attraction.

(OK No more lame American humor)

gar...@ntlworld.com

Apr 30, 2005, 7:25:12 PM4/30/05
Mr Flibble wrote:
> Ann Canlin wrote:
> > Would that be Tales of Robin Hood? I've not been there myself, but
my hubby
> > said it's infamous for its cheese factor - I get images of The
Rimmer
> > Experience, but with Robin Hood instead of Rimmer. :)
> If you're in trouble he can save the day,
> He's brave and he's fearless and he gives his money away,
> Without him the sherrif would have his way,
>
> He's Robin, Robin, Robin Ho-od,
> He's very sexy, you know you would,
> I can't think of more rhymes - oh go-od,
> That's the end then, I'm in a mo-od.

You just had to remind me of *that* weetabix ad didn't you?

tsc..

Robin hood, Robin Hood riding through the glen,
Robin hood, Robin Hood with his band of men..

Robin hood, Robin Hood spies the weetabix!!
Should he retreat? back to sherwood?

Course he should! Course he should!

Garth - something like that.

Hercule Platini

May 3, 2005, 3:27:29 PM5/3/05

"Ann Canlin" <bewtif...@notmail.com> wrote in message

Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs.... Some of those sound a bit
Yorkshire (ey up), and I've been using faffing for years (as in Faffing
About), along with its more colourful variant, "fartarsing about".

Saying I heard recently for the first time: "If you can't fight, wear a big
hat." I have no idea what it means.

--
Hercule Platini

"Where's me thribble?"

Hercule Platini

May 3, 2005, 3:27:30 PM5/3/05

"Starbugaboo" <starb...@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

The East Midlands Cheese Experience? Oh, that's a riot, that is. Some
people spend years in that.....

--
Hercule Platini

"Jean Claude Van Edamme."

Ann Canlin

May 3, 2005, 3:38:55 PM5/3/05

Seems to be the concensus....I've certainly heard that phrase before!
Wonder if it does have something to do with the influx of miners from other
areas, as we're not particularly near to Yorkshire.

and I've been using faffing for years (as in
> Faffing About)

That's the one. :)

along with its more colourful variant, "fartarsing
> about".

Oo, *like* it!

> Saying I heard recently for the first time: "If you can't fight, wear
> a big hat." I have no idea what it means.

So as maybe to hide beneath the hat and not be noticed by those who might
want to kick your ass (or arse, as the case may be)? Other than that, I
couldn't imagine....

--
Ann

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak