SpongeBob SquarePants voice Tom Kenny never watched a Super Bowl before calling Sunday's big game for Nickelodeon

Terrence Clay

Feb 15, 2024, 8:14:18 PMFeb 15
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-features/how-nickelodeon-brought-spongebob-to-super-bowl-1234967974/

Bill Fagerbakke, on the other hand, loves all things football. "But the voice actors’ real-life affinity for sports was irrelevant when it came to their Super Bowl performances," says Rolling Stones' Kristi Lee Yandoli, detailing how Sunday's Nickelodeon broadcast came together with a crew of about 200 people. "SpongeBob and Patrick were meant to be a breath of fresh air and provide an alternative perspective on the game, in contrast to other Super Bowl coverage that typically includes more hyper-masculine and macho commentary." As Kenny jokes: “The sum total of my football knowledge could fit in Plankton’s jockstrap. When they brought up I was doing it, I said, ‘I really don’t know much about football,’ and they said, ‘That’s fine because the concept is going to be that the Super Bowl at Allegiant Stadium is just dropped into Bikini Bottom and it’s this crazy, unfamiliar, alien thing to SpongeBob.”