Re: Johnny Carson archive debuts online

Taylor

Aug 14, 2010, 10:45:33 AM8/14/10
On Aug 11, 9:44 am, David <dimla...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e...
>
> Johnny Carson archive goes online
> Site offers clips, licensing; Carson DVDs coming, too
> By Georg Szalai
>
> NEW YORK - Welcome to the digital age, Johnny! The best of legendary
> "Tonight Show" host Johnny Carson is now available in an online
> archive and coming to DVD.
>
> Carson Entertainment Group on Wednesday said it has opened its TV
> archive for the first time atwww.johnnycarson.com, which allows fans
> to view select clips (including a 1977 Jay Leno appearance). For
> industry folks, the site provides a clip licensing service with 3,300
> hours of searchable show content.
>
> The Carson archive was stored in a salt mine in Kansas until 1999 and
> was transferred into digital form starting last year.
>
> Carson Entertainment also announced plans for a series of DVDs
> featuring the TV comedy icon.
>
> "We have received so many inquiries and requests for this material
> over the years that we have taken steps to make the materials more
> accessible and instantly searchable," said Carson Entertainment
> president Jeff Sotzing.
>
> He said segments from the archives have been used in such films as
> "Fargo," "Talk to Me" and "Watchmen."

Um... Johnny Carson? When did Jay Leno take over for Carson? Like,
1992. Uh, yeah. So if his average viewer was around 50 _then_ and that
was 1992 and it's 2010 now, how old would these dinosaurs be? Look,
I'm not saying senior citizens don't use the Internet, but these are
pretty much the Lawrence Welk generation of dying off and dying off.
When you factor in those who are _also_ computer-savy, you got a
pretty fragmented audience.

Then again, I'm 34 and LOVE Lawrence Welk. I look forward to it on PBS
_every_ Saturday evening (then "Britcoms" from 8 to 10). I also search
LW on Twitter and you'd be (((VERY)))) surprised at the age range of
Welk viewers every Saturday aft/eve... so not _all_ is lost!

Even though I was hitting my mid-teens when Johnny was about wrapping
it up, I never dug him. Actually... perhaps verrrry marginal interest
in his little skits... but that was about it. I stayed up for
Letterman, though (Letterman in his PRIME as a young 30-something
comic/entertainer)... also Arsenio Hall, of course!

Great to have this stuff archived for sure. I assume it'll be free. I
can't see anyone PAYING for it (subscription-based, not "best-of" DVDs
they've been shilling for yeeeears).

Taylor

Aug 14, 2010, 10:51:47 AM8/14/10
On Aug 11, 9:44 am, David <dimla...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e...
>
> Johnny Carson archive goes online
> Site offers clips, licensing; Carson DVDs coming, too
> By Georg Szalai
>
> NEW YORK - Welcome to the digital age, Johnny! The best of legendary
> "Tonight Show" host Johnny Carson is now available in an online
> archive and coming to DVD.
>
> Carson Entertainment Group on Wednesday said it has opened its TV
> archive for the first time atwww.johnnycarson.com, which allows fans
> to view select clips (including a 1977 Jay Leno appearance). For
> industry folks, the site provides a clip licensing service with 3,300
> hours of searchable show content.
>
> The Carson archive was stored in a salt mine in Kansas until 1999 and
> was transferred into digital form starting last year.
>
> Carson Entertainment also announced plans for a series of DVDs
> featuring the TV comedy icon.
>
> "We have received so many inquiries and requests for this material
> over the years that we have taken steps to make the materials more
> accessible and instantly searchable," said Carson Entertainment
> president Jeff Sotzing.
>
> He said segments from the archives have been used in such films as
> "Fargo," "Talk to Me" and "Watchmen."

Just took a look (for less than a minute!) and I gotta say: "WTF?!"

Is this streaming COMING (a revamp not yet started), or _already_
_here_? Because all I see is (((nothing))) more than and ADVERTISEMENT
for their lousy DVDs. Nothing more than 30 clips giving you a _taste_
of what you'll get in the DVDs, _if_ you BUY them. And no clip over 1
minute 21 seconds (1:21).

I expect to see full-length comedy skits, opening monologues and
interviews, otherwise they're pulling a bait and switch here.

Anim8rFSK

Aug 14, 2010, 4:08:06 PM8/14/10
In article
<2f797294-00d0-4989...@u26g2000yqu.googlegroups.com>,
Taylor <lukeb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 11, 9:44 am, David <dimla...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content display/television/news/e...

> > Johnny Carson archive goes online
> > Site offers clips, licensing; Carson DVDs coming, too
> > By Georg Szalai
> >
> > NEW YORK - Welcome to the digital age, Johnny! The best of legendary
> > "Tonight Show" host Johnny Carson is now available in an online
> > archive and coming to DVD.
> >
> > Carson Entertainment Group on Wednesday said it has opened its TV
> > archive for the first time atwww.johnnycarson.com, which allows fans
> > to view select clips (including a 1977 Jay Leno appearance). For
> > industry folks, the site provides a clip licensing service with 3,300
> > hours of searchable show content.
> >
> > The Carson archive was stored in a salt mine in Kansas until 1999 and
> > was transferred into digital form starting last year.
> >
> > Carson Entertainment also announced plans for a series of DVDs
> > featuring the TV comedy icon.
> >
> > "We have received so many inquiries and requests for this material
> > over the years that we have taken steps to make the materials more
> > accessible and instantly searchable," said Carson Entertainment
> > president Jeff Sotzing.
> >
> > He said segments from the archives have been used in such films as
> > "Fargo," "Talk to Me" and "Watchmen."
>
> Just took a look (for less than a minute!) and I gotta say: "WTF?!"
>

> Is this streaming COMING (a revamp not yet started), or already
> here ? Because all I see is (((nothing))) more than and ADVERTISEMENT
> for their lousy DVDs. Nothing more than 30 clips giving you a taste
> of what you'll get in the DVDs, if you BUY them. And no clip over 1

> minute 21 seconds (1:21).
>
> I expect to see full-length comedy skits, opening monologues and
> interviews, otherwise they're pulling a bait and switch here.

While I think the original claims of them having full shows are bogus, I
don't see your bait and switch; what you quoted above says 'select
clips' online, which is what you're describing.

--
TOM SWIFT 100th Anniversary convention! July 16-18 2010, San Diego, CA
TS100 Convention site: http://www.TomSwiftEnterprises.com