Bombing of NCIS HQ: "The greatest domestic terror attack in a decade." -- ZNN

just john

Jun 11, 2012, 1:15:21 PM6/11/12
(Bringing this over from the "Okey Dokey" thread.)

On Jun 11, 9:40 am, Kurt Ullman <kurtull...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In article <y5ydnZzAM6MZyEjSnZ2dnUVZ_o-dn...@giganews.com>,
> just john <teuy13...@sneakemail.com> wrote:
>
> > So the characters are famous. Life will never be the same. They'll be
> > this season's Peruvian miners.
>
> > I don't see how doing their jobs will be an option, any more.
>
> I don't know. There are all sorts of people that can be tossed into the
> arena with no problems amongst the bean counters, lawyers, etc. Also,
> this is on a Navy base which means that the newsies can be kept further
> away than other areas so their access can be controlled. It is a much
> more fluid situation than the Peruvian miners where we had days to count
> them and get to know them.

The Navy Yard is in the DC city limits, not somewhere really remote,
so the explosion and smoke would be immediately visible to hundreds of
thousands of people. Ambulances and fire apparatus would tangle
traffic on nearby highways.

And there'd be some awfully embarrassing things that they'd have to
actively cover up, if they're going to try to put a lid on this:

The lab might have leaked toxic and radioactive stuff, adding to the
mix of emergency vehicles.

The bomb was in the director's own vehicle!

Any explosion that would do that to both the lab and the elevator
would probably compromise the evidence locker, so there go a whole
mess of prosecutions.

Two agents, perhaps casualties, were in an elevator during a building
evacuation, despite all the warnings and drills concerning use of
stairs.

just john

Jun 11, 2012, 1:24:40 PM6/11/12
(And, of course, FEX News will get on ZNN's case for using the word
"Greatest," so ZNN will hastily change it to "Worst.")

Kurt Ullman

Jun 11, 2012, 2:27:18 PM6/11/12
In article
<5903523b-bd7f-47ba...@oe8g2000pbb.googlegroups.com>,
just john <teuy...@sneakemail.com> wrote:

> The Navy Yard is in the DC city limits, not somewhere really remote,
> so the explosion and smoke would be immediately visible to hundreds of
> thousands of people. Ambulances and fire apparatus would tangle
> traffic on nearby highways.
>
> And there'd be some awfully embarrassing things that they'd have to
> actively cover up, if they're going to try to put a lid on this:
>
> The lab might have leaked toxic and radioactive stuff, adding to the
> mix of emergency vehicles.
>
> The bomb was in the director's own vehicle!
None of which means that Team Gibbs are outed. I am not suggesting
they could keep a lid on it, just that it is on a Navy base and I am
betting the Marine guards would be less likely to let just any Tom,
Dick, or Harriet with a microphone and a camera truck on to the
premises. They would have plenty of time to get people out of the area
before the newsies can get in.

Message has been deleted

just john

Jun 11, 2012, 3:01:22 PM6/11/12
On 6/11/12 2:39 PM, Ken wrote:
> But you have to remember that the Navy Yard is in S.E. DC and everyone
> around there is accustomed to explosions and gun shots. It is just a daily
> part of life in S.E. DC. It isn't exactly a safe part of town to be in after
> dark. The only reason people actually live there is that rents are lower
> because no one wants to live there unless they really don't value their
> lives very much.

Or, as I was, they're right next door at Bolling Air Force Base.

And this was broad daylight.

--
* Radio Free Entropy: http://just-john.com/jjMusic

just john

Jun 11, 2012, 3:12:18 PM6/11/12
On 6/11/12 2:27 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
> In article
> <5903523b-bd7f-47ba...@oe8g2000pbb.googlegroups.com>,
> just john<teuy...@sneakemail.com> wrote:
>

>> The Navy Yard is in the DC city limits, not somewhere really remote,
>> so the explosion and smoke would be immediately visible to hundreds of
>> thousands of people. Ambulances and fire apparatus would tangle
>> traffic on nearby highways.
>>
>> And there'd be some awfully embarrassing things that they'd have to
>> actively cover up, if they're going to try to put a lid on this:
>>
>> The lab might have leaked toxic and radioactive stuff, adding to the
>> mix of emergency vehicles.
>>
>> The bomb was in the director's own vehicle!
> None of which means that Team Gibbs are outed. I am not suggesting
> they could keep a lid on it, just that it is on a Navy base and I am
> betting the Marine guards would be less likely to let just any Tom,
> Dick, or Harriet with a microphone and a camera truck on to the
> premises. They would have plenty of time to get people out of the area
> before the newsies can get in.

But the aftermath ...

I hinted at it in the headline. News organizations will assume it's
terrorism. When it is found out -- and in anything like the real world,
it would be found out -- that it's NOT really terrorism but rather the
work of a criminal mastermind with skills and resources unparalleled in
human history, then ZNN's lead would be "DOCTOR DOOM IS REAL!"

After that, they'll be all over everybody who was anywhere near it,
especially that mastermind's targets.

just john

Jun 11, 2012, 3:16:54 PM6/11/12
Oh, and PS: Cell phones are now cheaper than land lines. That's why I
have one. And most of the people in that area have cell phones, WITH
CAMERAS.
Message has been deleted

just john

Jun 11, 2012, 7:17:10 PM6/11/12
On 6/11/12 6:53 PM, Ken wrote:
> On 11-Jun-2012, just john<teuy...@sneakemail.com> wrote:
>
> So perhaps as they lay dying after a drive-by shooting, at least they can
> take a picture of themselves dying. They certainly would not want to hold
> their breathe waiting for an ambulence to arrive because it isn't safe for
> the ambulence crews in that part of town.

Huh?

mag3

Jun 11, 2012, 7:39:53 PM6/11/12
On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 18:39:05 GMT, "Ken" <kts...@yoohoo.com> wrote:

>But you have to remember that the Navy Yard is in S.E. DC and everyone
>around there is accustomed to explosions and gun shots. It is just a daily
>part of life in S.E. DC. It isn't exactly a safe part of town to be in after
>dark. The only reason people actually live there is that rents are lower
>because no one wants to live there unless they really don't value their
>lives very much.

As it so happens, I just drove by it yesterday on my way home from vacation.
It is, S.E. DC, but on the north shore of the Anacostia River between the Frederick
Douglas and 11 St. bridges, and with M street kinda as the northern border. The property
is well kept. The US DOT office is just to the west of it, as is the "Nationals ball park."

Albeit, north of East Capitol, there is some rather pricey "gentrified" stuff very
nearby. Very nice. I can't believe how much improved it is. My family actually use to
live in the "Brentwood" section of N.E. until the 1970's, and I still have some family
there.

I'd probably be a bit more worried about what lies below the south shore of the
Anacostia River (i.e. below I-295) than that general area where the Navy Yard is located.

Regards,

Arnold

Jim G.

Jun 12, 2012, 1:16:05 PM6/12/12
mag3 sent the following on 6/11/2012 6:39 PM:
Yeah, the Navy Yard is *not* in a very bad area. In fact, it's right
there by the new Nats ballpark. I think the nasty bits of SE Washington
start east of the Capitol.

--
Jim G. | Waukesha, WI
If you are reading this, it means that I don't have anything better to

mag3

Jun 12, 2012, 2:54:13 PM6/12/12
On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 12:16:05 -0500, "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

>mag3 sent the following on 6/11/2012 6:39 PM:
>>
>> As it so happens, I just drove by it yesterday on my way home from vacation.
>> It is, S.E. DC, but on the north shore of the Anacostia River between the Frederick
>> Douglas and 11 St. bridges, and with M street kinda as the northern border. The property
>> is well kept. The US DOT office is just to the west of it, as is the "Nationals ball park."
>>
>> Albeit, north of East Capitol, there is some rather pricey "gentrified" stuff very
>> nearby. Very nice. I can't believe how much improved it is. My family actually use to
>> live in the "Brentwood" section of N.E. until the 1970's, and I still have some family
>> there.
>>
>> I'd probably be a bit more worried about what lies below the south shore of the
>> Anacostia River (i.e. below I-295) than that general area where the Navy Yard is located.
>
>Yeah, the Navy Yard is *not* in a very bad area. In fact, it's right
>there by the new Nats ballpark.

So stated, above. :)

>I think the nasty bits of SE Washington start east of the Capitol.

Well, so does the Navy Yard, and the Natls. Park. :))). But both are in the "better" section
of S.E. As stated, I'd only be concerned with what lies south of the Anacostia.

For those who do not know, Washington DC is divided in to 4 "compass like" sections: (NE, NW,
SE & SW). The "center" is the US Capitol bldg., and the dividing lines all of the "Capitol" streets. Thus,
North Capitol spans directly north of the US Capitol building and divides NE from NW. South Capitol
is the mirror reverse, dividing SE and SW. And, of course, East & West Capitol divide the NW/NE
from the SW/SE etc... Therefore, all of the Navy Yard is, technically S.E, but in the "not so bad" part.

As it turns out, Google further clarifies the Navy Yard borders to be:

Northern: M Street SE;
Eastern: I-295 Bridge (11th street SE);
Western: Just east of 5th Street SE;
Southern: Northern Shore of the Anacostia River.

Regards,

Arnold

Jim G.

Jun 12, 2012, 4:37:53 PM6/12/12
mag3 sent the following on 6/12/2012 1:54 PM:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 12:16:05 -0500, "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> mag3 sent the following on 6/11/2012 6:39 PM:
>>>
>>> As it so happens, I just drove by it yesterday on my way home from vacation.
>>> It is, S.E. DC, but on the north shore of the Anacostia River between the Frederick
>>> Douglas and 11 St. bridges, and with M street kinda as the northern border. The property
>>> is well kept. The US DOT office is just to the west of it, as is the "Nationals ball park."
>>>
>>> Albeit, north of East Capitol, there is some rather pricey "gentrified" stuff very
>>> nearby. Very nice. I can't believe how much improved it is. My family actually use to
>>> live in the "Brentwood" section of N.E. until the 1970's, and I still have some family
>>> there.
>>>
>>> I'd probably be a bit more worried about what lies below the south shore of the
>>> Anacostia River (i.e. below I-295) than that general area where the Navy Yard is located.
>>
>> Yeah, the Navy Yard is *not* in a very bad area. In fact, it's right
>> there by the new Nats ballpark.
>
> So stated, above. :)

Oops. Skipped right over that. But it's a pretty nice ballpark, so it
deserves two mentions. :)

>> I think the nasty bits of SE Washington start east of the Capitol.
>
> Well, so does the Navy Yard, and the Natls. Park. :))).

Heh. Fair enough. But it's close, and the ballpark is pretty much due
south of the Capitol Visitors' Center, so does that count?

Still, for whatever reason, it doesn't *seem* like they're east of the
Capitol Building unless I'm actually looking at a map.

> But both are in the "better" section
> of S.E. As stated, I'd only be concerned with what lies south of the Anacostia.

I'll go along with that.

> For those who do not know, Washington DC is divided in to 4 "compass like" sections: (NE, NW,
> SE & SW).

Although the SW has been ripped off over time and barely exists anymore.
I'd have to cheat to find out the status of that bit of history. (I knew
it once, but like many things, has evaporated from my brain over time.)

mag3

Jun 12, 2012, 6:36:22 PM6/12/12
On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 15:37:53 -0500, "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

>mag3 sent the following on 6/12/2012 1:54 PM:

>>> I think the nasty bits of SE Washington start east of the Capitol.
>>
>> Well, so does the Navy Yard, and the Natls. Park. :))).
>
>Heh. Fair enough. But it's close, and the ballpark is pretty much due
>south of the Capitol Visitors' Center, so does that count?
>Still, for whatever reason, it doesn't *seem* like they're east of the
>Capitol Building unless I'm actually looking at a map.

According to Google Maps, the ball park borders on South Capitol, but to
the east. So S.E. for that.

>> For those who do not know, Washington DC is divided in to 4 "compass like" sections: (NE, NW,
>> SE & SW).
>
>Although the SW has been ripped off over time and barely exists anymore.
>I'd have to cheat to find out the status of that bit of history. (I knew
>it once, but like many things, has evaporated from my brain over time.)

Not sure what you mean by, "ripped off..."

Apparently, there is no "West Capitol St." (technically), as it would run straight down the middle
of "The Mall," probably in line with both the US Capitol, the Wash. Monument & Lincoln Mem. So,
anything south of the line across the above three structures (and west of South Capitol) is SW.

A lot of the Govt. offices are S.W. (eg. Bureau of Engraving & Printing, US Post Office, FAA). Also many
Hotels, the flagship "Phillips Crab House" (I've eaten there :)))) ), L'Enfant Plaza, etc... For a moment, I
thought the Watergate Hotel might be SW but it is NW, according to Google Maps. Of course, the WH,
most of the embassies, Georgetown, etc. are all NW.

Regards,

Arnold

just john

Jun 12, 2012, 8:20:57 PM6/12/12
On 6/12/12 2:54 PM, mag3 wrote:

> As it turns out, Google further clarifies the Navy Yard borders to be:
>
> Northern: M Street SE;
> Eastern: I-295 Bridge (11th street SE);
> Western: Just east of 5th Street SE;
> Southern: Northern Shore of the Anacostia River.

... all visible to local TV news traffic choppers, who will be
reporting live on that plume of smoke that seems to be the cause of all
those traffic tie-ups. And such a live broadcast sends the news
operation into scraping up everything they have that might be relevant.

"Looks like, let's see ... NCIS headquarters, if Skippy at the national
desk is right. And ... Skippy mentions that these may be the same
people the DOJ just released what they described as a dangerous convict
into the custody of ... That's surprising, since NCIS has a reputation
for stepping on the toes of other agencies, even before that time when
they 'stole' Air Force One -- Okay, I'm hearing it wasn't TECHNICALLY
Air Force One at the time .... We called DHS for comment and they just
laughed and hung up."

HBichon

Jun 12, 2012, 11:18:31 PM6/12/12
mag3 <zmpmag...@yahoo.com> wrote in
The part of DC I find to be the most dangerous is the Center part. :-)
-HB

Jim G.

Jun 13, 2012, 1:26:08 PM6/13/12
HBichon sent the following on 6/12/2012 10:18 PM:
> The part of DC I find to be the most dangerous is the Center part. :-)

+1

The main difference between the crooks in the center part and the crooks
in the SE part is that the latter are more honest about it. :)

Jim G.

Jun 13, 2012, 1:42:41 PM6/13/12
mag3 sent the following on 6/12/2012 5:36 PM:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 15:37:53 -0500, "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> mag3 sent the following on 6/12/2012 1:54 PM:

>>> Well, so does the Navy Yard, and the Natls. Park. :))).
>>
>> Heh. Fair enough. But it's close, and the ballpark is pretty much due
>> south of the Capitol Visitors' Center, so does that count?
>> Still, for whatever reason, it doesn't *seem* like they're east of the
>> Capitol Building unless I'm actually looking at a map.
>
> According to Google Maps, the ball park borders on South Capitol, but to
> the east. So S.E. for that.

Right. I'm not disagreeing with you on the zone stuff and there's no
false impression on my part with regard to which zone holds the ballpark
and Navy Yard. Rather, I'm talking about the basic NSEW business that
applies everywhere in the world. And where that's concerned, the
ballpark is lined up with the east edge of the Mall, which puts it just
east of the Capitol Building itself.

>>> For those who do not know, Washington DC is divided in to 4 "compass like" sections: (NE, NW,
>>> SE & SW).
>>
>> Although the SW has been ripped off over time and barely exists anymore.
>> I'd have to cheat to find out the status of that bit of history. (I knew
>> it once, but like many things, has evaporated from my brain over time.)
>
> Not sure what you mean by, "ripped off..."

Basically, nothing west of the Potomac is included as part of the SW, as
Arlington and Alexandria are not part of DC. There was a time when I
knew why that all worked out that way, but I can't remember it anymore.
I'm guessing at this point that Virginia worked out some sort of a deal
in a back room filled with cigar smoke. :)

> Apparently, there is no "West Capitol St." (technically), as it would run straight down the middle
> of "The Mall," probably in line with both the US Capitol, the Wash. Monument & Lincoln Mem. So,
> anything south of the line across the above three structures (and west of South Capitol) is SW.
>
> A lot of the Govt. offices are S.W. (eg. Bureau of Engraving & Printing, US Post Office, FAA). Also many
> Hotels, the flagship "Phillips Crab House" (I've eaten there :)))) ), L'Enfant Plaza, etc... For a moment, I
> thought the Watergate Hotel might be SW but it is NW, according to Google Maps. Of course, the WH,
> most of the embassies, Georgetown, etc. are all NW.

Yep. The Capitol Building is pretty much the only thing that keeps the
NW from having a monopoly on the real power in town.

HBichon

Jun 13, 2012, 3:50:55 PM6/13/12
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote in news:jrakhs$upp$12
@news.albasani.net:
Yep, with them you know when you're getting robbed.
-HB

mag3

Jun 13, 2012, 5:06:12 PM6/13/12
On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 12:42:41 -0500, "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

>mag3 sent the following on 6/12/2012 5:36 PM:

>> Not sure what you mean by, "ripped off..."
>
>Basically, nothing west of the Potomac is included as part of the SW, as
>Arlington and Alexandria are not part of DC. There was a time when I
>knew why that all worked out that way, but I can't remember it anymore.
>I'm guessing at this point that Virginia worked out some sort of a deal
>in a back room filled with cigar smoke. :)

OK. I was always brought up to believe that DC was DC (in essence, a slice cut
out of Maryland), and Virginia was always Virginia (ie. no slice cut from Va to
help make DC). Then again, Va had a lot of power in the US Govt. then (GW, &
the other presidents). Perhaps, they did cut a deal to keep all of Va. for Va.

Regards,

Arnold

bj

Jun 13, 2012, 10:33:59 PM6/13/12
See the topic of retrocession (1847).
bj

mag3

Jun 13, 2012, 10:41:00 PM6/13/12
On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 21:33:59 -0500, bj <addre...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>> OK. I was always brought up to believe that DC was DC (in essence, a slice cut
>> out of Maryland), and Virginia was always Virginia (ie. no slice cut from Va to
>> help make DC). Then again, Va had a lot of power in the US Govt. then (GW, &
>> the other presidents). Perhaps, they did cut a deal to keep all of Va. for Va.
>
>See the topic of retrocession (1847).
>bj

Ah, thanks! Enlightening!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_retrocession

Regards,

Arnold

Jim G.

Jun 14, 2012, 11:30:29 AM6/14/12
HBichon sent the following on 6/13/2012 2:50 PM:
Oh, I know that I'm getting robbed by the others, too, but they're a lot
harder to catch in the act.

tenworld

Jun 14, 2012, 11:44:31 AM6/14/12
On Jun 13, 10:26 am, "Jim G." <jimgy...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
> HBichon sent the following on 6/12/2012 10:18 PM:
>

> > mag3 <zmpmag3-at...@yahoo.com> wrote in
you can always recall the center crooks - oh wait not in Wisconsin:)

Jim G.

Jun 14, 2012, 4:15:40 PM6/14/12
tenworld sent the following on 6/14/2012 10:44 AM:
> you can always recall the center crooks - oh wait not in Wisconsin:)

Nah, they can be recalled here, too. You just have to get the majority
of people to agree with your desire to recall them. Gotta love that
democracy stuff. :)

--
Jim G. | Waukesha, WI

Jim G.

Jun 15, 2012, 5:21:31 PM6/15/12
mag3 sent the following on 6/13/2012 9:41 PM:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 21:33:59 -0500, bj <addre...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> OK. I was always brought up to believe that DC was DC (in essence, a slice cut
>>> out of Maryland), and Virginia was always Virginia (ie. no slice cut from Va to
>>> help make DC). Then again, Va had a lot of power in the US Govt. then (GW, &
>>> the other presidents). Perhaps, they did cut a deal to keep all of Va. for Va.
>>
>> See the topic of retrocession (1847).
>> bj
>
> Ah, thanks! Enlightening!
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_retrocession

Yeah, that's all sounding familiar, but I wouldn't have even remembered
the word "retrocession" without cheating...