MST3K - SpAce Mutiny

Spexmex

May 30, 2007, 4:57:56 PM5/30/07
Does anyone have this episode? One of the BEST!
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

dgates

Jun 18, 2007, 3:01:35 PM6/18/07
On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 15:19:35 GMT, Mike Coddington
<mo...@sdf.lonestar.org.org> wrote:

>On Wed, 30 May 2007 20:57:56 GMT, Spexmex wrote:
>> Does anyone have this episode? One of the BEST!
>

>That's my favorite MST3K episode. Followed by "Time Chasers," which just
>so happens to be in the same DVD boxset. How cool is that!?

I've only bought a couple episodes on DVD, because I still have them
all from back when, on VHS, or on VHS that's been copied to DVD-R.

I'm wondering: How much better is the picture quality on the DVD
versions. Now that we've got a nice HDTV, it's been hard to watch old
VHS tapes, or VHS-to-DVD-R conversions.

Is the quality of, say, Space Mutiny, on DVD better than I could hope
from my own VHS copy the I recorded directly off ("Best" quality) TiVo
back when the show first aired on Sci-Fi?

Joseph Nebus

Jun 18, 2007, 11:05:24 PM6/18/07
dgates <dga...@somedomain.com> writes:

>I've only bought a couple episodes on DVD, because I still have them
>all from back when, on VHS, or on VHS that's been copied to DVD-R.

>I'm wondering: How much better is the picture quality on the DVD
>versions. Now that we've got a nice HDTV, it's been hard to watch old
>VHS tapes, or VHS-to-DVD-R conversions.

>Is the quality of, say, Space Mutiny, on DVD better than I could hope
>from my own VHS copy the I recorded directly off ("Best" quality) TiVo
>back when the show first aired on Sci-Fi?

Yes. It's vastly better. The digital formats allow for a
nearly lossless transmission of the source movies' lack of quality.

--
Joseph Nebus

Bruce Probst

Jun 19, 2007, 9:51:14 PM6/19/07
On Jun 19, 5:01 am, dgates <dga...@somedomain.com> wrote:

> Is the quality of, say, Space Mutiny, on DVD better than I could hope
> from my own VHS copy the I recorded directly off ("Best" quality) TiVo
> back when the show first aired on Sci-Fi?

Yes. Good god, yes. Recording video on VHS is a "lossy" process.
>From memory, I think it's something like 15-20% of the image is lost
when recorded to VHS (because it can only record a fixed number of
lines of information from the original image). This is cumulative,
which is why the image worsens every time you dub one tape to another;
copies of copies of copies (etc.) get progressively more blurry and
indistinct because every new dub omits more information.

[This is only the video component, though. VHS is excellent for
analog audio reproduction. Some years back, before CD recording
became cheap and easy, some audiophiles would tape their prized LP
records onto VHS tapes (via a Hi-Fi VCR): it saved wear and tear on
the records, was more convenient than changing sides and discs, and
(unlike portable audio cassettes) could comfortably accommodate
several hours of high-quality stereo listening pleasure.]

Bruce
Melbourne, Australia

Message has been deleted

AZnemesis

Jul 10, 2007, 5:35:23 PM7/10/07
I must be the only one who thinks the quality of the DVDs, in general, is
quite poor. I have a really hard time hearing the dialogue from the movie
unless I turn the volume way up. I can hear the guys just fine, but that's
only half the gag if you don't hear the original dialogue. Plus, turning the
volume up makes the guys way too loud, while I can still just barely make
out the movie dialogue. I honestly think my vastly degraded old VHS copies
that I taped off the air are superior in that area. At least I can tell
what's going on.

And, topic? Space Mutiny is one of the all-time greats, regardless of
format.

"Mike Coddington" <mo...@sdf.lonestar.org.org> wrote in message

Tom Carberry

Jul 10, 2007, 6:32:29 PM7/10/07
"AZnemesis" <az.neme...@gmail.com> wrote in message
I've noticed this on a number of the Rhino produced DVDs vs. my own VHS
tapes (which I've converted to DVD). I suspect when Rhino got the originals
from BBI, the movie and comments dialog were recorded on different channels,
and perhaps either Comedy Central or Sci Fi Channel adjusted the volume on
both to be more equal, or Rhino boosted the volume on the comments because
they thought that that was more important to hear Joel or Mike and the bots
than the movie.

Tom Carberry (#45505, and just my guess, YMMV)

Walter Traprock

Jul 10, 2007, 10:49:24 PM7/10/07
"Tom Carberry" <jtj...@134.139.2.10> wrote:

I remember the sound as being sometimes a problem since the beginning.
Of course, I haven't compared TV, VHS and DVD versions side by side.
Nor do I even recall this particular episode, what is it about, some
space mutiny?

dgates

Jul 11, 2007, 1:00:08 AM7/11/07

(Really? I have to post to 4 groups to reply to this? Okay.)

My memory, from the very first VHS "Mitchell" that I bought, was that
there was something muffled about the sound, compared the the VHS
Mitchell I had previously recorded off TV.

I specifically remember noticing it in an early scene where Mitchell
is talking to his boss (I believe, the scene with "He sounds and
smells like William Conrad!").

A big, important part of the gag is all the extra breathing and
wheezing noises added by Joel or one of the bots; that sound just made
the whole scene hysterical.

But when I bought my VHS "Mitchell" and played it for a couple
friends, I realized that they weren't hearing the breathing and extra
noises at all!

That's my experience anyway.

dgates

Jul 11, 2007, 10:58:52 AM7/11/07
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:35:23 -0700, "AZnemesis"
<az.neme...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I must be the only one who thinks the quality of the DVDs, in general, is
>quite poor. I have a really hard time hearing the dialogue from the movie
>unless I turn the volume way up. I can hear the guys just fine, but that's
>only half the gag if you don't hear the original dialogue. Plus, turning the

>volume up makes the guys way too loud...

I actually remember that effect from the very first time I watched an
MST3k episode on live TV. In order to truly hear all of the film's
dialogue clearly, I had to turn the TV up to a level where the voices
of Joel & the Bots were on the "too loud" side. I don't know if I'd
say "way too loud."

I think that first movie, the one where I noticed it, was the one
where the Gilligan-looking racecar drive goes undercover with the
rebels who commit crimes for kicks.

AZnemesis

Jul 11, 2007, 2:27:09 PM7/11/07
"Walter Traprock" <wetra...@hotmail.com> wrote > Nor do I even recall this
particular episode, what is it about, some
> space mutiny?

It's a star-studded event. It features Capt. Santa Claus, Big McLarge Huge,
Pat Riley, Sting, Melissa Manchester, and that Sexy Senior Citizen, Debbie
Reynolds.

If I recall correctly, the premise is kind of a rip-off of Battlestar
Galactica. (I've never been a BG fan, so I'm going on secondhand info
there.)

AZnemesis

Jul 11, 2007, 2:47:33 PM7/11/07

"AZnemesis" <az.neme...@gmail.com> wrote
>Big McLarge Huge,

Actually, after thinking about it, I believe it was his cousin, Big McHuge
Large.

Greg G

Jul 11, 2007, 4:37:14 PM7/11/07

If by "rip-off" you mean "uses footage from" then you're correct.
Otherwise, not so much.

-Greg "Slab McBeefsteak" G

Walter Traprock

Jul 13, 2007, 2:18:28 PM7/13/07
"AZnemesis" <az.neme...@gmail.com> wrote:

Well, that was weird. I sure glad I had the hecklers to help explain
what is going on in the movie. I Like the cyclopedia jokes too.

cabbage

Jul 15, 2007, 8:28:07 AM7/15/07
On Jul 13, 2:18 pm, Walter Traprock <wetrapr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "AZnemesis" <az.nemesis.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > "Walter Traprock" <wetrapr...@hotmail.com> wrote > Nor do I even recall this

> > particular episode, what is it about, some
> > > space mutiny?
>
> > It's a star-studded event. It features Capt. Santa Claus, Big McLarge Huge,
> > Pat Riley, Sting, Melissa Manchester, and that Sexy Senior Citizen, Debbie
> > Reynolds.
>
> > If I recall correctly, the premise is kind of a rip-off of Battlestar
> > Galactica. (I've never been a BG fan, so I'm going on secondhand info
> > there.)
>
> Well, that was weird. I sure glad I had the hecklers to help explain
> what is going on in the movie. I Like the cyclopedia jokes too.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH------
<leaps from space waxing machine>

cabbage